Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Judo / Martial Arts in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Judo / Martial Arts in Geneva

I practiced judo in Tokyo until I ended up being moved across the world and now I'm looking for a club in Geneva. Does anyone have any recommendations?

If not judo then I'm happy to try other martial arts. I'd just like to find a friendly club where no one will mind that my French is still poor. I'm really looking to have a friendly practice a couple of times a week, get fit and learn some new stuff. I don't need somewhere that's competing for the olympics!

Thanks

The text you are quoting:

I practiced judo in Tokyo until I ended up being moved across the world and now I'm looking for a club in Geneva. Does anyone have any recommendations?

If not judo then I'm happy to try other martial arts. I'd just like to find a friendly club where no one will mind that my French is still poor. I'm really looking to have a friendly practice a couple of times a week, get fit and learn some new stuff. I don't need somewhere that's competing for the olympics!

Thanks

Stephen La RiviereNov 19, 2013 @ 16:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 2744 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Judo / Martial Arts in Geneva
Post 1

Hey Stephen,

You can also try this link to a bunch of different MA in Geneva

http://www.webmartial.com/cgi-bin/chercherclub.pl?art=0&pays=145&cp_club=&ville_club=Genève

There should be what you're looking for . If not, you can always try the club of Wing Tsun I'm at, good atmosphere and most of the assistants speach English, http://ewto.ch/schools/38

Hope it helps!

Gog

Hey Stephen,

You can also try this link to a bunch of different MA in Geneva

http://www.webmartial.com/cgi-bin/chercherclub.pl?art=0&pays=145&cp_club=&ville_club=Genève

There should be what you're looking for . If not, you can always try the club of Wing Tsun I'm at, good atmosphere and most of the assistants speach English, http://ewto.ch/schools/38

Hope it helps!

Gog

gog l, Nov 27, 2013 @ 09:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

There are several Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academies in Geneva now.  Let me know if you are interested and I can recommend a few.  They speak English at most of them.

There are several Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academies in Geneva now.  Let me know if you are interested and I can recommend a few.  They speak English at most of them.

Josh S, Nov 28, 2013 @ 16:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks everybody. Yes, I'd be interested in jiu-jitsu. Really, I'd love to maintain my judo but right now I just want to get some exercise. Gyms here seem to be ludriously priced - is there nowhere that has a treadmill for less than 250CHF a month!?

Thanks everybody. Yes, I'd be interested in jiu-jitsu. Really, I'd love to maintain my judo but right now I just want to get some exercise. Gyms here seem to be ludriously priced - is there nowhere that has a treadmill for less than 250CHF a month!?

Stephen La Riviere, Nov 29, 2013 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

There's Judo and BJJ classes at www.shinbudo.ch, close to the airport. 

There's Judo and BJJ classes at www.shinbudo.ch, close to the airport. 

Nir Ofek, Dec 1, 2013 @ 00:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi,

Why don't you try http://www.bodyreflex.org/ ? The people who teach are really lovely, and speak English as well as French. It's centrally located, near the station. I've organised some yoga workshops through their space and I really recommend them on a personal level, and they're keen on what they teach. 

All the best,

Michelle

Hi,

Why don't you try http://www.bodyreflex.org/ ? The people who teach are really lovely, and speak English as well as French. It's centrally located, near the station. I've organised some yoga workshops through their space and I really recommend them on a personal level, and they're keen on what they teach. 

All the best,

Michelle

Michelle Mayes, Dec 1, 2013 @ 09:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello Stephen,

I'm practicing Ju-Jitsu and Aikido with the Judo Club Carouge, which I would both recommend as very friendly groups. The Judo practice has a good level as well, they compete at quite a good level in Switzerland and sometimes internationally.

http://www.judo-club-carouge.ch

The registration is a per-month basis for all activities, and allows to you to attend as much/often as you like - some come once a week, some come only at noon, some come only in the evening.

I hope this helps.

-- 

David

Hello Stephen,

I'm practicing Ju-Jitsu and Aikido with the Judo Club Carouge, which I would both recommend as very friendly groups. The Judo practice has a good level as well, they compete at quite a good level in Switzerland and sometimes internationally.

http://www.judo-club-carouge.ch

The registration is a per-month basis for all activities, and allows to you to attend as much/often as you like - some come once a week, some come only at noon, some come only in the evening.

I hope this helps.

-- 

David

David L, Dec 1, 2013 @ 10:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi David,

That sounds absolutely perfect - I'd like to learn ju-jitsu or aikido too.

My French is very poor at the moment - I hope to enroll in a school soon. Is this goign to be a problem?

Thanks - and to everybody else that has suggestions!

Stephen

Hi David,

That sounds absolutely perfect - I'd like to learn ju-jitsu or aikido too.

My French is very poor at the moment - I hope to enroll in a school soon. Is this goign to be a problem?

Thanks - and to everybody else that has suggestions!

Stephen

Stephen La Riviere, Dec 1, 2013 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I've confirmed with the senseis (2 for Ju-Jitsu, 1 for Aikido), none of them see this as a problem for teaching, given that you seem motivated!

For the Ju-Jitsu maybe if you come at noon rather than evening, you would have more interprets (such as me!) available for you - this way you can get the most of it!

I've confirmed with the senseis (2 for Ju-Jitsu, 1 for Aikido), none of them see this as a problem for teaching, given that you seem motivated!

For the Ju-Jitsu maybe if you come at noon rather than evening, you would have more interprets (such as me!) available for you - this way you can get the most of it!

David L, Dec 2, 2013 @ 17:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hey Stephen, I can suggest for you a very cool place where u can find a big variety of martial arts in Geneva as Thai Boxing and English Boxing.

Check this out :  www.dfcsports.ch

www.facebook.com/DFCsports

Hey Stephen, I can suggest for you a very cool place where u can find a big variety of martial arts in Geneva as Thai Boxing and English Boxing.

Didier Nana, Apr 4, 2014 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Apr 4, 14 18:29

I trained for a little while at DFC, and loved it. Great facilities and great coaches, highly recommended. But get ready to sweat...

I trained for a little while at DFC, and loved it. Great facilities and great coaches, highly recommended. But get ready to sweat...

Nir Ofek, Apr 4, 2014 @ 18:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hey lovely people. Does anyone know of a private Judo teacher for children?

Who can teach at their home?

Thanks 

Hey lovely people. Does anyone know of a private Judo teacher for children?

Who can teach at their home?

Thanks 

Carly B, Jan 15, 2020 @ 18:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 2744 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form