Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Learning French

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Learning French
Does anyone have any tips on how to learn french? I am taking lessons and starting to understand a lot more - but my speaking is questionable. If anyone has any practical suggestions on how to improve my french speaking skills it would be greatly appreciated :-)
The text you are quoting:
Does anyone have any tips on how to learn french? I am taking lessons and starting to understand a lot more - but my speaking is questionable. If anyone has any practical suggestions on how to improve my french speaking skills it would be greatly appreciated :-)
mislesJun 13, 2006 @ 19:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1006 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Learning French
Post 1
With French speaking people, practice makes perfect.

I'm sure there are plenty of GoLers who speak French that you can spend time with speaking and perfecting you French.
With French speaking people, practice makes perfect.

I'm sure there are plenty of GoLers who speak French that you can spend time with speaking and perfecting you French.
DJ_Symcard, Jun 13, 2006 @ 20:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I found myself in the same dilemna last year, particularly because most people would shift to English when I opened my mouth.

I found it helpful to persist in French (at one point, in the interest of efficiency, my friends would speak English and I french). And feel free to remind others that this is Geneva :) they usually switch back.

You can also try to take tandem lessons if you can teach someone another language (see the Unige notice boards for adverts).

Good luck.
I found myself in the same dilemna last year, particularly because most people would shift to English when I opened my mouth.

I found it helpful to persist in French (at one point, in the interest of efficiency, my friends would speak English and I french). And feel free to remind others that this is Geneva :) they usually switch back.

You can also try to take tandem lessons if you can teach someone another language (see the Unige notice boards for adverts).

Good luck.
finalspirit, Jun 13, 2006 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
It is easier for the brain to receive (listen and read) a new language than to produce (write and speak) it. When starting out, it's good to know that so you don't put too much pressure on yourself to speak as much as you understand - it's natural. It also depends on your personality type - perfectionists will take longer.

Some new language learners go through a very long "silent period" where they understand a LOT, but don't speak a word. Then, one day maybe six months later, all of the sudden the brain is ready, and words, phrases, sentences come out that you didn't even know you had. It's an amazing thing to experience.

One warning though - learning a new language is like dieting - you'll go through plateaus where you aren't learning new things as fast as you used to. That can be frustrating too, but just like dieting, don't give up - the brain is just digesting and internalizing everything up to that point so it becomes more second nature, and you won't have to try so hard / translate so much.

Bonne Chance!
Michele

1994 Masters of Science - Second Language Acquisition
University at Albany, New York
It is easier for the brain to receive (listen and read) a new language than to produce (write and speak) it. When starting out, it's good to know that so you don't put too much pressure on yourself to speak as much as you understand - it's natural. It also depends on your personality type - perfectionists will take longer.

Some new language learners go through a very long "silent period" where they understand a LOT, but don't speak a word. Then, one day maybe six months later, all of the sudden the brain is ready, and words, phrases, sentences come out that you didn't even know you had. It's an amazing thing to experience.

One warning though - learning a new language is like dieting - you'll go through plateaus where you aren't learning new things as fast as you used to. That can be frustrating too, but just like dieting, don't give up - the brain is just digesting and internalizing everything up to that point so it becomes more second nature, and you won't have to try so hard / translate so much.

Bonne Chance!
Michele

1994 Masters of Science - Second Language Acquisition
University at Albany, New York
3PuttBogey, Jun 14, 2006 @ 12:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
This was great to read - I think I have been in the silent period for months and hoping to emerge but it gets really frustrating!!

I have found that if you go to Annecy / France it is better as they do not speak to you in English and you have to keep giving it a go to get understood.

I am going to try the group lessons next as I can speak in English during my private lessons as they are paid for by work so the teacher cannot MAKE me speak in french.

One day.. i hope!

tash
This was great to read - I think I have been in the silent period for months and hoping to emerge but it gets really frustrating!!

I have found that if you go to Annecy / France it is better as they do not speak to you in English and you have to keep giving it a go to get understood.

I am going to try the group lessons next as I can speak in English during my private lessons as they are paid for by work so the teacher cannot MAKE me speak in french.

One day.. i hope!

tash
tash, Jun 14, 2006 @ 15:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Thanks for all the great responses - I feel like I am not alone! Lots of ideas for me to start improving on my french!! I really appreciate the time you have all taken to respond! Cheers
Melissa
Thanks for all the great responses - I feel like I am not alone! Lots of ideas for me to start improving on my french!! I really appreciate the time you have all taken to respond! Cheers
Melissa
misles, Jun 14, 2006 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1006 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form