Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Learning Spanish--from French or English perspective

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Learning Spanish--from French or English perspective
The title says it all really. I'm interested in learning Spanish, but I don't know if I'm better off from a French or English perspective. English is my mother tongue, but after 2.5 years here, my French is pretty good. Good enough that I think I could follow a book and/or lessons taught in French.

For those of you who have learned Spanish, which do you think it would be easier? I will probably do the self study thing for the time being, but I'm open to free lessons. :-)

Cheers,
Matt
The text you are quoting:
The title says it all really. I'm interested in learning Spanish, but I don't know if I'm better off from a French or English perspective. English is my mother tongue, but after 2.5 years here, my French is pretty good. Good enough that I think I could follow a book and/or lessons taught in French.

For those of you who have learned Spanish, which do you think it would be easier? I will probably do the self study thing for the time being, but I'm open to free lessons. :-)

Cheers,
Matt
mrbeauApr 7, 2006 @ 05:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1755 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Learning Spanish--from French or English perspective
Post 1
but I think enligsh is the safest bet - I know that learning a latin language from a latin language is easier but I also know that learning a language from one that is not your mother tongue ..is more complex. Example. I am pretty fluent in Enlighs (think in enlighs, work and live speaking enlish) thou to learn french my breain translated everything back to italian ...

Not sure it helps but maybe...
but I think enligsh is the safest bet - I know that learning a latin language from a latin language is easier but I also know that learning a language from one that is not your mother tongue ..is more complex. Example. I am pretty fluent in Enlighs (think in enlighs, work and live speaking enlish) thou to learn french my breain translated everything back to italian ...

Not sure it helps but maybe...
Hoiling, Apr 7, 2006 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
where once a week some people wishing to learn Spanish and French could meet for dinner/drinks and teach the languages. Could be very cool!
where once a week some people wishing to learn Spanish and French could meet for dinner/drinks and teach the languages. Could be very cool!
Iolly, Apr 7, 2006 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I recently bought a CD 'course' in French for 15 euros so I'll start that and see how it goes. I'll be Madrid from Apr 12-20th, so maybe I'll try to arrange something once I get back.

I'm fluent enough in French that I often think in French, and sometimes even find it easier to express my thoughts in French. So, I'll see how the CD goes and then take it from there.

Thanks!
I recently bought a CD 'course' in French for 15 euros so I'll start that and see how it goes. I'll be Madrid from Apr 12-20th, so maybe I'll try to arrange something once I get back.

I'm fluent enough in French that I often think in French, and sometimes even find it easier to express my thoughts in French. So, I'll see how the CD goes and then take it from there.

Thanks!
mrbeau, Apr 7, 2006 @ 18:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1755 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form