Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Legal rights with apartment issues

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Legal rights with apartment issues

Hi,

SInce I moved to an appartment about a year ago I have been complaining of low water pressure in the kitchen and bathroom. To give you some idea, it would probably take something like 15 minutes to fill up the sink and about half an hour for decent bath. There was one attempt to fix the issue but it came to nothing. The regie doesnt seem particuarly moved to do anything claiming "its difficult". Whilst I accept its difficult, it feels like someone else's problem, I pay a pretty high rate of rent. 

Is anyone aware of legal minimum stadards here so I can crank up the pressure? It seems to me like Iif I have to live with this, I should at least be entitled to a rent reduction.

Thanks for any comments,

Duncan

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

SInce I moved to an appartment about a year ago I have been complaining of low water pressure in the kitchen and bathroom. To give you some idea, it would probably take something like 15 minutes to fill up the sink and about half an hour for decent bath. There was one attempt to fix the issue but it came to nothing. The regie doesnt seem particuarly moved to do anything claiming "its difficult". Whilst I accept its difficult, it feels like someone else's problem, I pay a pretty high rate of rent. 

Is anyone aware of legal minimum stadards here so I can crank up the pressure? It seems to me like Iif I have to live with this, I should at least be entitled to a rent reduction.

Thanks for any comments,

Duncan

Duncan MJan 15, 2020 @ 22:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 658 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Legal rights with apartment issues
Post 1

Go to these guys. https://www.asloca.ch/geneve/

Go to these guys. https://www.asloca.ch/geneve/

Sean C, Jan 15, 2020 @ 23:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

great. thanks

great. thanks

Duncan M, Jan 16, 2020 @ 09:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

To save time, take your  bail and any documentation you may have  with the regie nregarding the current problem

To save time, take your  bail and any documentation you may have  with the regie nregarding the current problem

TogJay, Jan 16, 2020 @ 09:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

We have a different issue with the Regi. We moved out of the apartment in November 2019, to date our security deposit has not been refunded. The Regi claims that he has to replace a scratched sink and a similar one is not available on the market.

Is this normal?

We have a different issue with the Regi. We moved out of the apartment in November 2019, to date our security deposit has not been refunded. The Regi claims that he has to replace a scratched sink and a similar one is not available on the market.

Is this normal?

Stephen M, Feb 12, 2020 @ 09:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Is this normal?

Feb 12, 20 09:24

Unfortunately it is normal for Geneva, Regies seem to feel they can do anything, especially to expats.

Fortunately, ASLOCA exists. Go and see them (asloca.ch), they deal with this stuff all the time and have a very low membership fee.

Unfortunately it is normal for Geneva, Regies seem to feel they can do anything, especially to expats.

Fortunately, ASLOCA exists. Go and see them (asloca.ch), they deal with this stuff all the time and have a very low membership fee.

Sean C, Feb 12, 2020 @ 09:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Stephen M, 

When you left your appartment you should normally have had a meeting with someone with the Regie for an état de lieu de sortie whereupon the appartment and contents are examined, and at the end of it both parties sign it or the Regie asks for certain work/repairs to be done. If your regie signed this at this time, then you should take a copy of it  it to Asloca when you go. This happened to me when I changed appartments, they signed the document with me alwas wel, then later tried to have me pay for various things to be done. I took the signed  état de lieu de sortie and Asloca helped me with a letter which was effective.

In the event this defect was signaled to you at the état de lieu de sortie there should be a standard price for replacing a sink and so Asloca would probably be able to help there too

For recuperating the deposit on the appartment, it can take time, (I think it was in the end 8 months later I got it), but sooner you go to Asloca for help with that, sooner thy can probably help you recuperate it, either in full if you have a signed état de lieu de sortie, or the balance after projected repair if this was mentioned on the état de lieu de sortie as a repair to be done.. 

Stephen M, 

When you left your appartment you should normally have had a meeting with someone with the Regie for an état de lieu de sortie whereupon the appartment and contents are examined, and at the end of it both parties sign it or the Regie asks for certain work/repairs to be done. If your regie signed this at this time, then you should take a copy of it  it to Asloca when you go. This happened to me when I changed appartments, they signed the document with me alwas wel, then later tried to have me pay for various things to be done. I took the signed  état de lieu de sortie and Asloca helped me with a letter which was effective.

In the event this defect was signaled to you at the état de lieu de sortie there should be a standard price for replacing a sink and so Asloca would probably be able to help there too

For recuperating the deposit on the appartment, it can take time, (I think it was in the end 8 months later I got it), but sooner you go to Asloca for help with that, sooner thy can probably help you recuperate it, either in full if you have a signed état de lieu de sortie, or the balance after projected repair if this was mentioned on the état de lieu de sortie as a repair to be done.. 

TogJay, Feb 12, 2020 @ 13:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 658 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form