Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Living in France with children

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Living in France with children

Hi there,

I know that the topic of frontaliers has been covered a bit on Glocals but I can't quite find the answers I'm looking for so hope you don't mind me posting again.

I'm moving to Geneva with my daughter (aged 4.5yrs) and am looking to hear from families about their experiences of living in France and working in Geneva. I'm particularly looking at Ferney-voltaire. Interested to know about the French school system (length of school day/after school clubs) and ease of finding babysitters. Would also like to hear about the commute - bike/bus ideally.

Thanks in advance,

Miriam

The text you are quoting:

Hi there,

I know that the topic of frontaliers has been covered a bit on Glocals but I can't quite find the answers I'm looking for so hope you don't mind me posting again.

I'm moving to Geneva with my daughter (aged 4.5yrs) and am looking to hear from families about their experiences of living in France and working in Geneva. I'm particularly looking at Ferney-voltaire. Interested to know about the French school system (length of school day/after school clubs) and ease of finding babysitters. Would also like to hear about the commute - bike/bus ideally.

Thanks in advance,

Miriam

Miriam ShindlerMar 12, 2020 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 734 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Living in France with children
Post 1

Well... schools are now closed ;)

Surprised

Well... schools are now closed ;)

Surprised

Astrid P, Mar 13, 2020 @ 08:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Not such a helpful response....

Obviously wanting to know about life under normal circumstances, not covid 19 affected 

Not such a helpful response....

Obviously wanting to know about life under normal circumstances, not covid 19 affected 

Miriam Shindler, Mar 13, 2020 @ 09:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

School from the age of 3 years

Hours: 8h30 to 15h30 with a 2 hours break for lunch

Children can either eat at school or at home

Centre de Loisirs availbale from 15h30 to 18h30 (not for free)

Any specific question? Because I am sure that this kind of info are everywhere in internet...

Me, personally, I love leaving in Ferney Voltaire, but I guess this is very personal ;)

School from the age of 3 years

Hours: 8h30 to 15h30 with a 2 hours break for lunch

Children can either eat at school or at home

Centre de Loisirs availbale from 15h30 to 18h30 (not for free)

Any specific question? Because I am sure that this kind of info are everywhere in internet...

Me, personally, I love leaving in Ferney Voltaire, but I guess this is very personal ;)

Astrid P, Mar 13, 2020 @ 10:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

More difficoult/ more homework in France compared to Switzerland in the early years of schooling

More difficoult/ more homework in France compared to Switzerland in the early years of schooling

Astrid P, Mar 13, 2020 @ 10:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Astrid,

There isn't a lot of information online about the french school system so this is helpful.

Can I check how easy it is to find babysitters for after school/evenings?

Do you work in Geneva? How is the commute?

All the best,

Miriam

Hi Astrid,

There isn't a lot of information online about the french school system so this is helpful.

Can I check how easy it is to find babysitters for after school/evenings?

Do you work in Geneva? How is the commute?

All the best,

Miriam

Miriam Shindler, Mar 13, 2020 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Yes I work in Geneva. There is F bus very regularly, it takes 30 min., just like by car.

As for babysitters.... I do not know how to answer... how to classify easy or difficoult? I do not have any comparative measure...

In my opinion it is not so difficoult... of course it depends on how much you want to pay... what sort of references you require etc. ;)

I personally like Centre de Loisirs a lot, people speak good French (while babysitter are often foreigners, and if you mother are anglophone, your children might need to improve their French further), they organise games... while sometime baby-sitters at home, do nothing.

Yes I work in Geneva. There is F bus very regularly, it takes 30 min., just like by car.

As for babysitters.... I do not know how to answer... how to classify easy or difficoult? I do not have any comparative measure...

In my opinion it is not so difficoult... of course it depends on how much you want to pay... what sort of references you require etc. ;)

I personally like Centre de Loisirs a lot, people speak good French (while babysitter are often foreigners, and if you mother are anglophone, your children might need to improve their French further), they organise games... while sometime baby-sitters at home, do nothing.

Astrid P, Mar 13, 2020 @ 11:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Mar 13, 20 10:50

I also found that French school teachers are very authoritarian.And kids are given much less liberty.

And they have to learn a lot of stuff by heart, even for mathematical principles, it's better to learn the text by heart, than to understand. (I may be exagerating a bit, but not much.)

But both my kids survived the French system, so it's not too bad.

I also found that French school teachers are very authoritarian.And kids are given much less liberty.

And they have to learn a lot of stuff by heart, even for mathematical principles, it's better to learn the text by heart, than to understand. (I may be exagerating a bit, but not much.)

But both my kids survived the French system, so it's not too bad.

tawb, Mar 15, 2020 @ 12:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

As Astrid indicates, the F-bus is regular, and its frequency is being improved every year. (And if if you wait another 10 years, you'll also have the tram.)

But of course, bicycle is much faster. I bike evry day.

As Astrid indicates, the F-bus is regular, and its frequency is being improved every year. (And if if you wait another 10 years, you'll also have the tram.)

But of course, bicycle is much faster. I bike evry day.

tawb, Mar 15, 2020 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 734 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form