Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Looking for apartments in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Looking for apartments in Geneva

Greetings,

My colleagues (2) and I recently relocated to Geneva, and are looking for an apartment to rent here.

We have gone through a lot of properties on immobilier.ch (we've sent an application to at least 15 properties), we're having a bit of difficulty getting accepted for one.

We arrived here in mid June, so I figured we'd at least be accepted in one apartment, since we're already employed. Do you have any advice/insights for this?

Thanks in advance! Embarassed

The text you are quoting:

Greetings,

My colleagues (2) and I recently relocated to Geneva, and are looking for an apartment to rent here.

We have gone through a lot of properties on immobilier.ch (we've sent an application to at least 15 properties), we're having a bit of difficulty getting accepted for one.

We arrived here in mid June, so I figured we'd at least be accepted in one apartment, since we're already employed. Do you have any advice/insights for this?

Thanks in advance! Embarassed

Michael DodisJul 18, 2023 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 807 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Looking for apartments in Geneva
Post 1

Hi Michael,

househunting in Geneva is difficult, there are a couple of (unwritten) rules, the most important of all is that you need at least 3x the income that you need to pay for rent. i.e. if you want to rent an apartment for 2k CHF, you need a stable income of at least 6k CHF for the entire duration of the rent contract.

By August are leaving our 3br apartment with lake access and mountain views in Coppet right by the lake, so if you are interested, let me know. (https://www.glocals.com/classifieds/housing-and-real-estate/101774.htm)

Best,

Kay

Hi Michael,

househunting in Geneva is difficult, there are a couple of (unwritten) rules, the most important of all is that you need at least 3x the income that you need to pay for rent. i.e. if you want to rent an apartment for 2k CHF, you need a stable income of at least 6k CHF for the entire duration of the rent contract.

By August are leaving our 3br apartment with lake access and mountain views in Coppet right by the lake, so if you are interested, let me know. (https://www.glocals.com/classifieds/housing-and-real-estate/101774.htm)

Best,

Kay

Kay E, Jul 19, 2023 @ 09:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Housing has always been an issue in Geneva.  However, have you checked the offers under «Housing available” in the “Classifieds”?  That’s also where you can insert an ad. of your own.

Best, R.

Housing has always been an issue in Geneva.  However, have you checked the offers under «Housing available” in the “Classifieds”?  That’s also where you can insert an ad. of your own.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Jul 19, 2023 @ 17:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Michael,

Best,

Kay

Jul 19, 23 09:58

We're not intererested in something that far away; moreso in the center, but still thanks for the advice!

We're not intererested in something that far away; moreso in the center, but still thanks for the advice!

Michael Dodis, Jul 19, 2023 @ 18:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Best, R.

Jul 19, 23 17:11

Oh, I didn't know about it, I will definitely check it out, thanks!

Oh, I didn't know about it, I will definitely check it out, thanks!

Michael Dodis, Jul 19, 2023 @ 18:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

So, we're applying for another apartment right now, and the application form (online) has a field for a "attestation de l'employeur precisant d'emploi du demandeur" document.

Is there a standard form for this that we can fill out, or am I supposed to ask my employer for it?

I found some PDF files online, but I don't think that any of them match what I'm looking for.

FYI: The real estate agency is grange.ch, if that helps somewhat

So, we're applying for another apartment right now, and the application form (online) has a field for a "attestation de l'employeur precisant d'emploi du demandeur" document.

Is there a standard form for this that we can fill out, or am I supposed to ask my employer for it?

I found some PDF files online, but I don't think that any of them match what I'm looking for.

FYI: The real estate agency is grange.ch, if that helps somewhat

Michael Dodis, Jul 19, 2023 @ 18:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Michael, it's a document you need to ask from your employer (usually your HR department). It's just a couple of lines stating your role/employment, dates (start - end) of contract etc. Hope that helps!

Hi Michael, it's a document you need to ask from your employer (usually your HR department). It's just a couple of lines stating your role/employment, dates (start - end) of contract etc. Hope that helps!

Eirini Giorgou, Jul 22, 2023 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jul 22, 23 14:43

Oh okay, we asked them for it beforehand, so it seems that we've submitted the correct one; thanks for the confirmation!

Oh okay, we asked them for it beforehand, so it seems that we've submitted the correct one; thanks for the confirmation!

Michael Dodis, Jul 23, 2023 @ 10:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Good news! We have found an apartment, and they have invited us to sign the lease soon. We plan to use a rental guarantee insurance service (like Swiss Caution).

Our permits have not been issued yet, and I can't find much relevant information on whether or not it's possible to get the said insurance before the permit has been issued. We have both the application for the permit and the "Attestation de residence".

Does anybody know whether something like this is possible?

P.S. Thank you for the swift replies up to now!

Good news! We have found an apartment, and they have invited us to sign the lease soon. We plan to use a rental guarantee insurance service (like Swiss Caution).

Our permits have not been issued yet, and I can't find much relevant information on whether or not it's possible to get the said insurance before the permit has been issued. We have both the application for the permit and the "Attestation de residence".

Does anybody know whether something like this is possible?

P.S. Thank you for the swift replies up to now!

Michael Dodis, Jul 26, 2023 @ 17:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 807 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form