Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > MOBILITY CAR SHARING

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
MOBILITY CAR SHARING

Hello everybody!!

I found the mobility car sharing (www.mobility.ch) and i wanted to know if you already had experience with it and if you would recommand it?

waiting for your posts ;)

The text you are quoting:

Hello everybody!!

I found the mobility car sharing (www.mobility.ch) and i wanted to know if you already had experience with it and if you would recommand it?

waiting for your posts ;)

Laura FAug 16, 2012 @ 12:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 4900 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: MOBILITY CAR SHARING
Post 1

I have been subscribed to Mobility for quite a while and absolutely love the service.  The service is easy to use, cars are available all across Switzerland (and some other countries), the customer support is very professional (in English, French, and German), and they have a phenomenally intuitive iPhone application. 

Overall, I would say this service really is worth it.  There are a couple things to look out for... Mobility is not economical for renting a car for multiple days.  It is great when you need to run ot the grocery store, go for a day trip in the region, buy lots of big stuff from Ikea, etc.  Read the fine print in the contract once you have signed up and be aware that punctuality is key.  You can get nailed with a 25 CHF fee for being 10 minutes late with a car drop off (which makes sense for the poor person sitting there waiting to take it next).

It is a great alternative to owning your own car and can cut down on transportation costs if shared among numerous people.  Good luck and enjoy!

I have been subscribed to Mobility for quite a while and absolutely love the service.  The service is easy to use, cars are available all across Switzerland (and some other countries), the customer support is very professional (in English, French, and German), and they have a phenomenally intuitive iPhone application. 

Overall, I would say this service really is worth it.  There are a couple things to look out for... Mobility is not economical for renting a car for multiple days.  It is great when you need to run ot the grocery store, go for a day trip in the region, buy lots of big stuff from Ikea, etc.  Read the fine print in the contract once you have signed up and be aware that punctuality is key.  You can get nailed with a 25 CHF fee for being 10 minutes late with a car drop off (which makes sense for the poor person sitting there waiting to take it next).

It is a great alternative to owning your own car and can cut down on transportation costs if shared among numerous people.  Good luck and enjoy!

Jacquelyn N, Aug 16, 2012 @ 12:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you so much for your quick answer! So do i always have to drop off the car at the point where i picked it up? If i take a 4-month pass (since i want to try it out and see if i will even need it that much) is there still extra milages/hours to pay when i use the car? or does the 4-month pass (70CHF) cover for every time i take the car? We do have something like that in austria which i have used before but there you could drop off the car at any parking spot in the whole city and didnt have to tell when I plan on giving the car back...so there i'm a bit sceptical!

Thank you so much for your quick answer! So do i always have to drop off the car at the point where i picked it up? If i take a 4-month pass (since i want to try it out and see if i will even need it that much) is there still extra milages/hours to pay when i use the car? or does the 4-month pass (70CHF) cover for every time i take the car? We do have something like that in austria which i have used before but there you could drop off the car at any parking spot in the whole city and didnt have to tell when I plan on giving the car back...so there i'm a bit sceptical!

Laura F, Aug 16, 2012 @ 12:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

It is pretty straight forward.  Nothing to be skeptical about.

You pay a fee as an annual subscription.  This gives you access to the entire Mobility car sharing system. When you actually take the car, you are charged a fee per hour based on the type of car you take (which is about 3 CHF on average per hour).  You are then asked to pay a fee per km driven (again on average about 0.31 CHF per km).  These charges are totalled at the end of the month and either invoiced or charged directly to a credit card.

In terms of reservations and flexibility, you can reserve cars in advance or on the spot if one is available either over the phone, online or through their smart phone applications.  In order for them to manage the bookings, you are asked to provide a return time.  You can return it earlier if you want.  And if the car is still available, you can extend the reservation to end later.

Overall, it is easy to use.  And over time, you will get accustomed to estimating how much time everything will take.  If you aren't sure, just reserve it for the day.  Easy! 

It is pretty straight forward.  Nothing to be skeptical about.

You pay a fee as an annual subscription.  This gives you access to the entire Mobility car sharing system. When you actually take the car, you are charged a fee per hour based on the type of car you take (which is about 3 CHF on average per hour).  You are then asked to pay a fee per km driven (again on average about 0.31 CHF per km).  These charges are totalled at the end of the month and either invoiced or charged directly to a credit card.

In terms of reservations and flexibility, you can reserve cars in advance or on the spot if one is available either over the phone, online or through their smart phone applications.  In order for them to manage the bookings, you are asked to provide a return time.  You can return it earlier if you want.  And if the car is still available, you can extend the reservation to end later.

Overall, it is easy to use.  And over time, you will get accustomed to estimating how much time everything will take.  If you aren't sure, just reserve it for the day.  Easy! 

Jacquelyn N, Aug 16, 2012 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

And I think that you can return the car to any Mobiliy point in town, but I'm not 100% certain.

jnovak?!?

And I think that you can return the car to any Mobiliy point in town, but I'm not 100% certain.

jnovak?!?

Zonker, Aug 16, 2012 @ 15:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

1.You cannot return to a different location

2. for 1000 CHF you can become a partner and do not pay the annuila fee.  this 1000 CHF is returned to you when you leave the scheme but no interest is paid and I think the hire costs are reduced 10%

3. The prices quoted include fuel

4. There is a zero option CDW avaialble at an annual fee

5. If you return easrly you are reimbursed half the hire fee (I think)

6. Not worth it if you travel more than 60-70 km from Geneva, ij such cases   

you get train and hire at destination

7. Discounts on hiring cars in other countries

1.You cannot return to a different location

2. for 1000 CHF you can become a partner and do not pay the annuila fee.  this 1000 CHF is returned to you when you leave the scheme but no interest is paid and I think the hire costs are reduced 10%

3. The prices quoted include fuel

4. There is a zero option CDW avaialble at an annual fee

5. If you return easrly you are reimbursed half the hire fee (I think)

6. Not worth it if you travel more than 60-70 km from Geneva, ij such cases   

you get train and hire at destination

7. Discounts on hiring cars in other countries

Paul E, Aug 16, 2012 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I have not experienced as what Katelyn mentioned but I am also not happy with their service.

For example, the response by email is always slow and unclear (luckily they have never replied to me by phone), so I have to waste time to ask again and again... most of the case for the questions in my mail is mainly due to a wrong price calculation, after a few times mistakes I now pay more attention after each driving, check the hours and kilometers very carefully.

Recently such price mistakes have happened almost every time, then I have to request for confirmation of giving back the credits, small amount of money takes me lots of time to follow-up.

I have not experienced as what Katelyn mentioned but I am also not happy with their service.

For example, the response by email is always slow and unclear (luckily they have never replied to me by phone), so I have to waste time to ask again and again... most of the case for the questions in my mail is mainly due to a wrong price calculation, after a few times mistakes I now pay more attention after each driving, check the hours and kilometers very carefully.

Recently such price mistakes have happened almost every time, then I have to request for confirmation of giving back the credits, small amount of money takes me lots of time to follow-up.

Jessica G, Nov 30, 2018 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I would say Mobility is not moving on with the times ... all over Europe now you have similar services which are much more flexible, allowing you to drop the car at a different place from pick-up ... sometimes even anywhere in the city, not designated parking spots, as Laura mentioned for  Austria.

In Geneva and Basel you have the alternative of https://www.catch-a-car.ch, which seems to be more flexible. But other than that, I don't know how good the service is.

I would say Mobility is not moving on with the times ... all over Europe now you have similar services which are much more flexible, allowing you to drop the car at a different place from pick-up ... sometimes even anywhere in the city, not designated parking spots, as Laura mentioned for  Austria.

In Geneva and Basel you have the alternative of https://www.catch-a-car.ch, which seems to be more flexible. But other than that, I don't know how good the service is.

ajimenezp, Dec 1, 2018 @ 15:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I've only used it a couple of times but had problems similar to those described by Jessica. First, the statement comes a month late. Second, the two times I have used it I have been charged 100 CHF in late fees when I did not return the car late. The second time, mobility fixed the problem immediately. The first time, I wasn't aware of the overcharge until two months later. I would recommend calling Mobility as soon as you return the car to ensure that the pricing is as expected.

I've only used it a couple of times but had problems similar to those described by Jessica. First, the statement comes a month late. Second, the two times I have used it I have been charged 100 CHF in late fees when I did not return the car late. The second time, mobility fixed the problem immediately. The first time, I wasn't aware of the overcharge until two months later. I would recommend calling Mobility as soon as you return the car to ensure that the pricing is as expected.

carolyn buff, Dec 1, 2018 @ 17:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

The problem with late invoices is recent (by that I mean a year).  Before I used to get an email invoice and had a couple of weeks (maybe 30 days) to pay it.  I was then put on billing by credit card (don't remember why but probably requested this).  I have recently elected to go back to invoice by email why might get rid of the delay.  The concept of mobility is different from other companies in that the idea is that you use public transport for the bulk of your journey and then hire a car for local use,  This is why you find mobility at most railway stations.  Although it might be convenient to drop of at a different destination as is the case case with the b ig car hire companies, whnever I have considered this, I have found the extra charged to be excessive (companies would factor in loss of rental income due to cars not being whjere they should be or cost of returning the car to its origional destination.  I accept Mobility for what it offers and am very satisfied.   With regard to other comments: overcharging - I do not think so and anywa when you return the car the on board computer tlls you what kilometers you will be charged for; later return - yes I have been 'fined' twice and on one occasion the next cutsomer had been waiting 5 minutes.  Completely my fault/incompetence.

The problem with late invoices is recent (by that I mean a year).  Before I used to get an email invoice and had a couple of weeks (maybe 30 days) to pay it.  I was then put on billing by credit card (don't remember why but probably requested this).  I have recently elected to go back to invoice by email why might get rid of the delay.  The concept of mobility is different from other companies in that the idea is that you use public transport for the bulk of your journey and then hire a car for local use,  This is why you find mobility at most railway stations.  Although it might be convenient to drop of at a different destination as is the case case with the b ig car hire companies, whnever I have considered this, I have found the extra charged to be excessive (companies would factor in loss of rental income due to cars not being whjere they should be or cost of returning the car to its origional destination.  I accept Mobility for what it offers and am very satisfied.   With regard to other comments: overcharging - I do not think so and anywa when you return the car the on board computer tlls you what kilometers you will be charged for; later return - yes I have been 'fined' twice and on one occasion the next cutsomer had been waiting 5 minutes.  Completely my fault/incompetence.

Paul E, Dec 3, 2018 @ 23:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 4900 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form