Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Mortgage with UBS? Probably not.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Mortgage with UBS? Probably not.

I've been shopping around for mortgages and considered UBS because my wife has been banking there for a long time. They asked me for tons and tons of documents (much more than the other banks), then refused to even give me an offer because they said "the other offers you have are more competitive". They didn't even want to give me a rate, or communicate the Valeur de Gage (the value the bank attributes to your property).

It then occurred to me that I've never heard a positive thing said about UBS (except by people who work there). So if like me, you're looking for a mortgage, I want to save you the time of going to UBS, because they're waste of time and discourteous into the bargain.

The text you are quoting:

I've been shopping around for mortgages and considered UBS because my wife has been banking there for a long time. They asked me for tons and tons of documents (much more than the other banks), then refused to even give me an offer because they said "the other offers you have are more competitive". They didn't even want to give me a rate, or communicate the Valeur de Gage (the value the bank attributes to your property).

It then occurred to me that I've never heard a positive thing said about UBS (except by people who work there). So if like me, you're looking for a mortgage, I want to save you the time of going to UBS, because they're waste of time and discourteous into the bargain.

Cpt_NumptyOct 14, 2014 @ 09:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1284 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Mortgage with UBS? Probably not.
Post 1

Finding a good mortgage is not always an easy thing, and you need indeed to give a lot of documents. In any case those documents will be necessary in order to get the mortgage.

Some companies make you offers with just few informations which in the end will only be valid once they have the full list of documents and you would be surprised to see some offers change once they have studied your files (financial situation, value and location of the house, downpayment, garantees, etc....)

So in your case, I think that UBS didn't want to go ahead with a full quote, when other companies made quotes with just few informations. You may still want to try as I have seen UBS customers get better deals with complete requests (not always, but some did get good deals).

Have you tried with an insurance company? People don't always know, but usually insurance companies have better rates than banks.

The only thing is that they are more picky on requests as they lend their own money, and will study your request to make sure that you will be able to keep your house if something happens to you (1st, 2nd, and 3rd pillar check-up) to avoid having to sell your house at a bad time and a bad price. 

Sometimes they may even send an expert to have a look at the place you are about to buy.

In any case you will need to provide all the documents to get a final offer, but it's worth a try.

cheers

Aymeric, Glocals agent

Finding a good mortgage is not always an easy thing, and you need indeed to give a lot of documents. In any case those documents will be necessary in order to get the mortgage.

Some companies make you offers with just few informations which in the end will only be valid once they have the full list of documents and you would be surprised to see some offers change once they have studied your files (financial situation, value and location of the house, downpayment, garantees, etc....)

So in your case, I think that UBS didn't want to go ahead with a full quote, when other companies made quotes with just few informations. You may still want to try as I have seen UBS customers get better deals with complete requests (not always, but some did get good deals).

Have you tried with an insurance company? People don't always know, but usually insurance companies have better rates than banks.

The only thing is that they are more picky on requests as they lend their own money, and will study your request to make sure that you will be able to keep your house if something happens to you (1st, 2nd, and 3rd pillar check-up) to avoid having to sell your house at a bad time and a bad price. 

Sometimes they may even send an expert to have a look at the place you are about to buy.

In any case you will need to provide all the documents to get a final offer, but it's worth a try.

cheers

Aymeric, Glocals agent

Aymeric Brossard, Oct 14, 2014 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Captain:

Here's a first then: I had good experiences with UBS...(-; I bank with them, and at some point I switched to Post Bank and to BCG, who were both less good for my needs.

For motgage; it's a huge decision. Before making it, contact Aymeric directly, he might be able to help.

Good luck!

Nir 

Captain:

Here's a first then: I had good experiences with UBS...(-; I bank with them, and at some point I switched to Post Bank and to BCG, who were both less good for my needs.

For motgage; it's a huge decision. Before making it, contact Aymeric directly, he might be able to help.

Good luck!

Nir 

Nir Ofek, Oct 14, 2014 @ 13:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

i found this message back in 2014, not sure if anyone can share your experiences or give me any tips on choosing the mortgage? What is the proposed insurance company?

if i need someone professonally to negotiate the selling price of the appartment, where to find them?

thanks a lot for your comments.

i found this message back in 2014, not sure if anyone can share your experiences or give me any tips on choosing the mortgage? What is the proposed insurance company?

if i need someone professonally to negotiate the selling price of the appartment, where to find them?

thanks a lot for your comments.

Jessica G, Dec 6, 2019 @ 13:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1284 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form