Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Moving out - how to handle the regie?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving out - how to handle the regie?

I am moving out of my apartment in Eaux-Vives after nearly 10 years.

I have received a fairly aggressive and legalistic letter from the regie, wanting to do a "pre inspection". I have blown them off until after I talk to ASLOCA, but does anyone have any advice on how to handle this process?

Do they really turn up with white gloves and cotton buds or is that a myth?

The text you are quoting:

I am moving out of my apartment in Eaux-Vives after nearly 10 years.

I have received a fairly aggressive and legalistic letter from the regie, wanting to do a "pre inspection". I have blown them off until after I talk to ASLOCA, but does anyone have any advice on how to handle this process?

Do they really turn up with white gloves and cotton buds or is that a myth?

Sean CMar 5, 2021 @ 12:01
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 2019 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving out - how to handle the regie?
Post 1

Hi Sean,

Ahhhh Regies - do you have legal aide?

Sometimes your RC Menage insurance will have a clause that allows you apartment related legal advice - my Vaudoise Contract did - saved my skin. 

Suggest you check if that is an option on your RC Menage contract. I found picking up the phone for legal advice saves a trip to ASLOCA and is more comprehensive than ASLOCA. 

Another idea could be to let them come and do the pre-inspection, but then pay to have ASLOCA physically with you for the exit inspection. The fact that you lived there for ten years gives leeway for "reasonable wear". Unfortunately the "white glove" deal is not a myth or to be sneezed at, but ASLOCA with you at inspection should keep it reasonable, and you RC should pick up any "damage", cleaning not included. 

Let me know if you need any more help with this,

Elizabeth

Hi Sean,

Ahhhh Regies - do you have legal aide?

Sometimes your RC Menage insurance will have a clause that allows you apartment related legal advice - my Vaudoise Contract did - saved my skin. 

Suggest you check if that is an option on your RC Menage contract. I found picking up the phone for legal advice saves a trip to ASLOCA and is more comprehensive than ASLOCA. 

Another idea could be to let them come and do the pre-inspection, but then pay to have ASLOCA physically with you for the exit inspection. The fact that you lived there for ten years gives leeway for "reasonable wear". Unfortunately the "white glove" deal is not a myth or to be sneezed at, but ASLOCA with you at inspection should keep it reasonable, and you RC should pick up any "damage", cleaning not included. 

Let me know if you need any more help with this,

Elizabeth

ElizabethMH H, Mar 5, 2021 @ 18:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

That's very helpful Elizabeth, thank you very much! Smile

> but then pay to have ASLOCA physically with you for the exit inspection.

I like this idea, probably money well spent.

That's very helpful Elizabeth, thank you very much! Smile

> but then pay to have ASLOCA physically with you for the exit inspection.

I like this idea, probably money well spent.

Sean C, Mar 5, 2021 @ 18:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Some Régies ask to do this pre-inspection so to find any problems before the end of the lease and give the tenant the opportunity of fixing the problems theirself.

However, note that the tenant is in no obligation of doing such a thing. If you prefer not to do a pre-inspection just tell your Régie.

Some Régies ask to do this pre-inspection so to find any problems before the end of the lease and give the tenant the opportunity of fixing the problems theirself.

However, note that the tenant is in no obligation of doing such a thing. If you prefer not to do a pre-inspection just tell your Régie.

TheOmegaMan, Mar 6, 2021 @ 15:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Sean,

I was also very scared of the regie inspections but, at least in my experience, the pre-inspection was fairly calm.

No white gloves and no crazy demands. Basically, the guy just wanted to see if there were any 'big' issues like broken walls / fixtures, large holes / scratches in the floor etc.

He looked around for a while and then told us what things they will expect us to fix for the end-of-lease inspection. I actually found it very helpful.

At the end-of-lease inspection (a few weeks after the pre-inspection) they checked the items that were flagged during the pre-inspection + also checked cleanliness (again, no white gloves).

This was my experience, and it may be different for you, but as far as I know, the pre-inspection is just a way for you to get the regie's demands before the end-of-lease inspection.

I know there are a lot of rules for apartments / inspections (many relating to what you do and don't need to fix depending on how long you've been in the apartment) so I agree that you should speak with ASLOCA or some other professional agency before the end-of-lease inspection.

Good luck,
Oded

Hi Sean,

I was also very scared of the regie inspections but, at least in my experience, the pre-inspection was fairly calm.

No white gloves and no crazy demands. Basically, the guy just wanted to see if there were any 'big' issues like broken walls / fixtures, large holes / scratches in the floor etc.

He looked around for a while and then told us what things they will expect us to fix for the end-of-lease inspection. I actually found it very helpful.

At the end-of-lease inspection (a few weeks after the pre-inspection) they checked the items that were flagged during the pre-inspection + also checked cleanliness (again, no white gloves).

This was my experience, and it may be different for you, but as far as I know, the pre-inspection is just a way for you to get the regie's demands before the end-of-lease inspection.

I know there are a lot of rules for apartments / inspections (many relating to what you do and don't need to fix depending on how long you've been in the apartment) so I agree that you should speak with ASLOCA or some other professional agency before the end-of-lease inspection.

Good luck,
Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Mar 9, 2021 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Sean, 

I chose to do the pre inspection because I wanted a heads up if there were any issues. They didn't find anything in my case and I hadn't done any prep before.

It gave me some peace of mind actually.

Dede

Hi Sean, 

I chose to do the pre inspection because I wanted a heads up if there were any issues. They didn't find anything in my case and I hadn't done any prep before.

Dede

Mary Mac, Mar 12, 2021 @ 21:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi, 

As mentioned by others, the pre-inspection is a good moment for them to tell you "don't forget to fix these holes, don't worry about this, yes, better if you leave this shelve", etc etc. 

However, this does not mean they can change their mind when they go for the final inspection. In my last final inspection there were 5 people (!) who came: 2 from the régie, the apartment owner, her niece who wanted to move in the apartment, and an engineer to verify work they wanted done (remodelling). Needless to say it was intimidating. They did try to say, oh, "this is not perfectly clean"  (one side of the dishwasher) which led to me pulling out a rag and spray and fix it on the spot. For a couple of things they said: "this is cracked" but I had a folder with photos and emails I had sent to report every imperfection I had found along the years. TIP FOR EVERYONE: Always send emails with photos when there is an issue, so they cannot get you during the final inspection. 

It is never easy. The régie was Gerofinance Dunand, and it took them 6 months to release the deposit. Asloca said there was nothing we could do, but wait as they have 12 months to do so accroding to the law. 

The one thing they did get me for was the filter for the kitchen exctractor that I forgot the replace. Months later I got the bill: 50 CHF for the filter plus 260 for the "work". TIP FOR EVERYONE: Never forget to change the filters!

Needless to say, when I got the apartment 7 years earlier, the apartment was a dump. Everyhing was dirty and many things were broken. It took a stern letter from ASLOCA to have them come and clean and repair everyhting as it should be. Oh, and ASLOCA also helped us get 800 CHF rent reduction because they found it excessive. I guess that is why in the final inspection they were less than pleasant... TIP FOR EVERYONE: Go to Asloca during your first 30 days to verify if your rent is in accordance to the average in your zone. If not, you can request a rent reduction.

Good luck. 

Hi, 

As mentioned by others, the pre-inspection is a good moment for them to tell you "don't forget to fix these holes, don't worry about this, yes, better if you leave this shelve", etc etc. 

However, this does not mean they can change their mind when they go for the final inspection. In my last final inspection there were 5 people (!) who came: 2 from the régie, the apartment owner, her niece who wanted to move in the apartment, and an engineer to verify work they wanted done (remodelling). Needless to say it was intimidating. They did try to say, oh, "this is not perfectly clean"  (one side of the dishwasher) which led to me pulling out a rag and spray and fix it on the spot. For a couple of things they said: "this is cracked" but I had a folder with photos and emails I had sent to report every imperfection I had found along the years. TIP FOR EVERYONE: Always send emails with photos when there is an issue, so they cannot get you during the final inspection. 

It is never easy. The régie was Gerofinance Dunand, and it took them 6 months to release the deposit. Asloca said there was nothing we could do, but wait as they have 12 months to do so accroding to the law. 

The one thing they did get me for was the filter for the kitchen exctractor that I forgot the replace. Months later I got the bill: 50 CHF for the filter plus 260 for the "work". TIP FOR EVERYONE: Never forget to change the filters!

Needless to say, when I got the apartment 7 years earlier, the apartment was a dump. Everyhing was dirty and many things were broken. It took a stern letter from ASLOCA to have them come and clean and repair everyhting as it should be. Oh, and ASLOCA also helped us get 800 CHF rent reduction because they found it excessive. I guess that is why in the final inspection they were less than pleasant... TIP FOR EVERYONE: Go to Asloca during your first 30 days to verify if your rent is in accordance to the average in your zone. If not, you can request a rent reduction.

Good luck. 

xaviero, Mar 14, 2021 @ 17:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi, 

Good luck. 

Mar 14, 21 17:04

Thank you Xaviero. I literally have been having bad dreams about this ... the regie and owner have been very difficult for the entire time I have been in the apartment. I hope Asloca will help me.

Thank you Xaviero. I literally have been having bad dreams about this ... the regie and owner have been very difficult for the entire time I have been in the apartment. I hope Asloca will help me.

Sean C, Mar 15, 2021 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Sean, 

Dede

Mar 12, 21 21:49

Thank you Dede, that would be great!

Thank you Dede, that would be great!

Sean C, Mar 15, 2021 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I should say though during the final inspection they noted a small puddle on the kitchen floor from my thawing fridge. I was surprised they included it in the exit report. There was nothing they could charge me for, so it was really odd. In the end my landlord cleared my apartment with no deductions from my deposit. My takeaway is thaw your fridge well in advance, and hire a company to do the cleaning, which I did. I agree it was needlessly stressful, but in the end it all worked out. 

I should say though during the final inspection they noted a small puddle on the kitchen floor from my thawing fridge. I was surprised they included it in the exit report. There was nothing they could charge me for, so it was really odd. In the end my landlord cleared my apartment with no deductions from my deposit. My takeaway is thaw your fridge well in advance, and hire a company to do the cleaning, which I did. I agree it was needlessly stressful, but in the end it all worked out. 

Mary Mac, Mar 15, 2021 @ 12:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Mar 15, 21 12:43

Yell

Yell

Sean C, Mar 15, 2021 @ 21:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I ended up using WhiteRoomLiga after finding her on Glocals. Absolutely incredible results, the apartment was so clean it hurt my eyes!

I would definately recommend her service to anyone moving out.

https://www.glocals.com/guides/biz/whiteroomliga/

I ended up using WhiteRoomLiga after finding her on Glocals. Absolutely incredible results, the apartment was so clean it hurt my eyes!

I would definately recommend her service to anyone moving out.

https://www.glocals.com/guides/biz/whiteroomliga/

Sean C, Mar 29, 2021 @ 11:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I was going to suggest Liga. I used her for my move out cleaning; she's amazing. The regie representative actually asked who had done the cleaning as he was so impressed. She is worth every penny and then some. 

Glad your move out went smoothly! 

I was going to suggest Liga. I used her for my move out cleaning; she's amazing. The regie representative actually asked who had done the cleaning as he was so impressed. She is worth every penny and then some. 

Glad your move out went smoothly! 

misskate, Apr 13, 2021 @ 19:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 2019 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form