Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > PC Assembly

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
PC Assembly
Hi there,
i'm trying to find a place for "make a pc" and not only buy an standart one. I'll use it for music creation, so, i need some special features that never are included.
Anyone know where I can do this in Geneve? Or maybe some person inside GOL make this kind of work ...
Let me know!
Best wishes,

Gonzalo
The text you are quoting:
Hi there,
i'm trying to find a place for "make a pc" and not only buy an standart one. I'll use it for music creation, so, i need some special features that never are included.
Anyone know where I can do this in Geneve? Or maybe some person inside GOL make this kind of work ...
Let me know!
Best wishes,

Gonzalo
gonzalotangoApr 12, 2006 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

23 Replies | 1200 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: PC Assembly
Post 1
http://www.abbo-informatique.com/
http://www.1000ordi.ch/
http://www.abbo-informatique.com/
http://www.1000ordi.ch/
MartinX, Apr 12, 2006 @ 21:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I done it a thousands times.

Martin
I done it a thousands times.

Martin

MartinX, Apr 12, 2006 @ 21:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
some address? Thanks :)
some address? Thanks :)
gonzalotango, Apr 13, 2006 @ 02:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Abbo is pretty nice but ... THEY DON'T INCLUDE SPECIAL SOUND CARDS! LMAO! 1000ordi I knew it already ... you cannot configurate like you want there ...
Thx anyway
Abbo is pretty nice but ... THEY DON'T INCLUDE SPECIAL SOUND CARDS! LMAO! 1000ordi I knew it already ... you cannot configurate like you want there ...
Thx anyway
gonzalotango, Apr 13, 2006 @ 02:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
where you might find what you need.
where you might find what you need.
Iolly, Apr 13, 2006 @ 13:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Thanks for the addresses. I'll take a look, cuz online is not pretty complete.
See you,

Gonzalo
Thanks for the addresses. I'll take a look, cuz online is not pretty complete.
See you,

Gonzalo
gonzalotango, Apr 13, 2006 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Hi, I hope that you are not talking about interdiscount, LOL :-)) Because they don't have special sound cards. There is pretty place close there but only for MAC :-(
Thanks anyway
Hi, I hope that you are not talking about interdiscount, LOL :-)) Because they don't have special sound cards. There is pretty place close there but only for MAC :-(
Thanks anyway
gonzalotango, Apr 13, 2006 @ 19:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
away!
away!
Iolly, Apr 13, 2006 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
shout and will come to help

Val - an IT engineer thou I try to hide it :)
shout and will come to help

Val - an IT engineer thou I try to hide it :)
Hoiling, Apr 13, 2006 @ 22:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Isn't it just as easy to add-to an already made computer, and replace the sound-card with some intense card like one of the really expensive Creative Labs/Audigy ones? The really good soundcards are a few hundred francs, and you can get them at www.1000ordi.ch

If you build the entire thing from scratch, you might actually wind up paying more - as well as having to mess with every detail like motherboard, RAM, etc.

But guys do love their tools, so far be it from me to get in the way of a man and his machine... ;)
Isn't it just as easy to add-to an already made computer, and replace the sound-card with some intense card like one of the really expensive Creative Labs/Audigy ones? The really good soundcards are a few hundred francs, and you can get them at www.1000ordi.ch

If you build the entire thing from scratch, you might actually wind up paying more - as well as having to mess with every detail like motherboard, RAM, etc.

But guys do love their tools, so far be it from me to get in the way of a man and his machine... ;)
Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 01:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
The study of fractals, including mandelbrots, is part of a real computer science curriculum. Those shapes are made by computer programs that are based on mathematical algorithms, which is most of what you study in computer science. It isn't like doing math at all, really.

People who study computer science don't study machines - they learn really intense mathematics, and simulate it on computers.

The study of fractals, including mandelbrots, is part of a real computer science curriculum. Those shapes are made by computer programs that are based on mathematical algorithms, which is most of what you study in computer science. It isn't like doing math at all, really.

People who study computer science don't study machines - they learn really intense mathematics, and simulate it on computers.

Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 01:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Creative X-Fi is good, but I think Terratec is the best.

http://audioen.terratec.net/index.php?name=EZCMS&menu=1&page_id=1

- Martin
Creative X-Fi is good, but I think Terratec is the best.

http://audioen.terratec.net/index.php?name=EZCMS&menu=1&page_id=1

- Martin

MartinX, Apr 15, 2006 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Are mathematically based, as was my degree at UC Santa Barbara.

My point was that most people think that a BS or MS in CS is to "study a machine", whereas most of it was higher-level mathematics, extremely theoretical (turing machines, proving the pigeonhole principle, etc etc etc).

Most mathematics studies also cross over into the CS realm anyways.

There can be a huge cultural difference, as well, between the UK where technical things are viewed as blue-coller or middle-class and the US where engineering is viewed with commensurate prestige of a law or medical degree. France, Switzerland and Italy are also more admiring of a hi-tech focus.

I learned this in my graduate studies, where we studied cross-cultural management, but I still found it shocking when I came to Geneva, and it was suggested to me by a British old-guy manager that because I had a BS in CS (which is very hard to get and very prestigious) that I would be interested in repairing computers (most people with this degree never program, they usually manage companies).

My apologies for having sullied the name of sainted name of mathematics studies with the lowly world of CS. ;)
Are mathematically based, as was my degree at UC Santa Barbara.

My point was that most people think that a BS or MS in CS is to "study a machine", whereas most of it was higher-level mathematics, extremely theoretical (turing machines, proving the pigeonhole principle, etc etc etc).

Most mathematics studies also cross over into the CS realm anyways.

There can be a huge cultural difference, as well, between the UK where technical things are viewed as blue-coller or middle-class and the US where engineering is viewed with commensurate prestige of a law or medical degree. France, Switzerland and Italy are also more admiring of a hi-tech focus.

I learned this in my graduate studies, where we studied cross-cultural management, but I still found it shocking when I came to Geneva, and it was suggested to me by a British old-guy manager that because I had a BS in CS (which is very hard to get and very prestigious) that I would be interested in repairing computers (most people with this degree never program, they usually manage companies).

My apologies for having sullied the name of sainted name of mathematics studies with the lowly world of CS. ;)
Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
Good luck drawing one of those mandelbrots without a computer. :P

:)
Good luck drawing one of those mandelbrots without a computer. :P

Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
but ... If u study IT Enginnering ... or Computer Engineering (which is always confused with Computer Science ..) .. u actually study ... both, fractals, programming .. and ... hardware components and how to assembly a pc...

Val - please let's make a distinction, computer scientist vs engineers
but ... If u study IT Enginnering ... or Computer Engineering (which is always confused with Computer Science ..) .. u actually study ... both, fractals, programming .. and ... hardware components and how to assembly a pc...

Val - please let's make a distinction, computer scientist vs engineers
Hoiling, Apr 16, 2006 @ 15:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
I'm still trying to visualize (and figure out why you were) hanging around this professors house why he played his most-excellent violin....
I'm still trying to visualize (and figure out why you were) hanging around this professors house why he played his most-excellent violin....
Jennifer, Apr 16, 2006 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
Val - my CS degree is a real CS degree and it is from the College of Engineering at UCSB. The CS degree could be awarded from either the Letters and Sciences College, or the Engineering college - but the difference was only a few courses. The core degree was the same, so most people opted for the engineering college degree, as in the U.S., to be an engineer is respected.

Engineering is also highly respected in France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy - basically everywhere in Europe except the UK. Given the very-British atmosphere in the expat environment, I started actually hiding my engineering degree at the back of my CV (as I have other degrees too), because I got tired of the comments I got from old-school British hiring managers. So I'm guessing that is why you try to make the distinction. There really isn't one.

Most of CS draws from both mathematics and electrical engineering.

If you eschew the engineer label, I fear you risk being put into a category of the newer vanity "computer studies" degress I see everywhere, which isn't really fair at all.
Val - my CS degree is a real CS degree and it is from the College of Engineering at UCSB. The CS degree could be awarded from either the Letters and Sciences College, or the Engineering college - but the difference was only a few courses. The core degree was the same, so most people opted for the engineering college degree, as in the U.S., to be an engineer is respected.

Engineering is also highly respected in France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy - basically everywhere in Europe except the UK. Given the very-British atmosphere in the expat environment, I started actually hiding my engineering degree at the back of my CV (as I have other degrees too), because I got tired of the comments I got from old-school British hiring managers. So I'm guessing that is why you try to make the distinction. There really isn't one.

Most of CS draws from both mathematics and electrical engineering.

If you eschew the engineer label, I fear you risk being put into a category of the newer vanity "computer studies" degress I see everywhere, which isn't really fair at all.
Jennifer, Apr 16, 2006 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
HI there,

thanks for the help. Actually i'm behind for an ESI Maya 44 or Esi Juli@ or (harder to find) Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
I found somes on ebay and I think this will be my choice. Is the cheaper place!
Beside in toppreise.ch somes and in the web site of STG (a distributor at thonex).
Now I must decide the rest :-))) I know about the processor (must be Pentium so I can use the Tiger OSx too).
Well ... putting my coins at my side for buy this pc :-)
Best,
Gonzalo
HI there,

thanks for the help. Actually i'm behind for an ESI Maya 44 or Esi Juli@ or (harder to find) Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
I found somes on ebay and I think this will be my choice. Is the cheaper place!
Beside in toppreise.ch somes and in the web site of STG (a distributor at thonex).
Now I must decide the rest :-))) I know about the processor (must be Pentium so I can use the Tiger OSx too).
Well ... putting my coins at my side for buy this pc :-)
Best,
Gonzalo
gonzalotango, Apr 16, 2006 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
Jennifer, Apr 18, 2006 @ 03:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
in italy the 2 courses, CS and Egnineering are v.v.different. I won't start here a long dissertion on the difference...but ... I had friends that did CS and I did engineering ..and ... the course are indeed different in my country (Probabily not in the US/UK/Rest of the world). Main difference being the first year (all engineering stuff) and the last one (I specialized in Management and Logistics and .. I spent 1 and half year on Statistic books then programming) ... Anyway ... as for the qualification .. I guess in Europe (and in italy is "fancier" being and engineer then in the Uk) ... but if I'd qualify myself as CS... I'd lost the main part of my degree ...
This is just to say ... Courses do vary based on the countries :)

Val
in italy the 2 courses, CS and Egnineering are v.v.different. I won't start here a long dissertion on the difference...but ... I had friends that did CS and I did engineering ..and ... the course are indeed different in my country (Probabily not in the US/UK/Rest of the world). Main difference being the first year (all engineering stuff) and the last one (I specialized in Management and Logistics and .. I spent 1 and half year on Statistic books then programming) ... Anyway ... as for the qualification .. I guess in Europe (and in italy is "fancier" being and engineer then in the Uk) ... but if I'd qualify myself as CS... I'd lost the main part of my degree ...
This is just to say ... Courses do vary based on the countries :)

Val
Hoiling, Apr 18, 2006 @ 12:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
Actually degree curricula are Uni-specific, although one can indeed make some generalizations by country.

Your degree sounds great, and those courses sound pretty useful. That is great that you are proud of what you studied - that is how it should be! (Jennifer sighs, imagining how nice it would have been to study *anything* in Italy....) :)

Our CS degree had "nuthin" with respect to the human side of the workworld. I balanced my education out for myself, by getting a 2nd degree in sociology (personally I wouldn'tve felt like I went to university if I hadn't taken all those writing, history, literature, sociology and psychology classes - but that is just "me").

On the other hand, our Uni was one of the first CS degree providers in the world - being one of the 6-7 Unis that collaborated with the DOD to turn the ARPANET into the INTERNET, so I was using the internet long before the WWW was created, and our school had access to the best SUN workstations as they came off the manufacturing line. I actually had to adjust to using slow, old-fashioned PCs, when I came to Europe in 1991, and finally, the PC world caught up with what I was used to (faster, nicer machines).

So I count my blessings in being able to enjoy the best-of-the-best years before it became "normal". :)
Actually degree curricula are Uni-specific, although one can indeed make some generalizations by country.

Your degree sounds great, and those courses sound pretty useful. That is great that you are proud of what you studied - that is how it should be! (Jennifer sighs, imagining how nice it would have been to study *anything* in Italy....) :)

Our CS degree had "nuthin" with respect to the human side of the workworld. I balanced my education out for myself, by getting a 2nd degree in sociology (personally I wouldn'tve felt like I went to university if I hadn't taken all those writing, history, literature, sociology and psychology classes - but that is just "me").

On the other hand, our Uni was one of the first CS degree providers in the world - being one of the 6-7 Unis that collaborated with the DOD to turn the ARPANET into the INTERNET, so I was using the internet long before the WWW was created, and our school had access to the best SUN workstations as they came off the manufacturing line. I actually had to adjust to using slow, old-fashioned PCs, when I came to Europe in 1991, and finally, the PC world caught up with what I was used to (faster, nicer machines).

So I count my blessings in being able to enjoy the best-of-the-best years before it became "normal". :)
Jennifer, Apr 18, 2006 @ 19:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22
That's great that you found someone who was so interesting that you enjoyed hanging out with him.

Sometimes you meet quite quirky (strange, unique and interesting) personnages in University - they can make for great memories, and add a lot to your education....
That's great that you found someone who was so interesting that you enjoyed hanging out with him.

Sometimes you meet quite quirky (strange, unique and interesting) personnages in University - they can make for great memories, and add a lot to your education....
Jennifer, Apr 18, 2006 @ 19:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
23 Replies | 1200 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form