Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Paying TPG fine from Zone 87 (France) as new arrival to Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Paying TPG fine from Zone 87 (France) as new arrival to Geneva

Greetings,

I arrived last week to Geneva for a six month staysomewhat unware, and perhaps unlucky, new arrival to this wonderful city and region.  I am hoping to crowdsource knowledge here for circumstances encountered today:

Upon arrival last week, I bought a "Tout Geneve" Zone 10 monthly pass.  However, I rode the F bus, returning from a trip to Ferney (Zone 87), without understanding I had left Zone 10 and unaware of how to buy a ticket on the bus (there was no machine at the bus stop).  Of course, as luck would dictate, TPG inspectors were waiting before my return to Geneva, so I received a fine of 72 Euro, if paid within 2 (!) days, or else 128 Euro.

I asked (in English, I speak only a few words of French so far) if I could pay immediately in cash or card, and was told no.  I was told by the inspector that I must send a check or online transfer to the address or bank account on the back of the ticket, and that the TPG office in Geneva (e.g. Cornavin or elsehwere) could not accept the fine because I was penalized in France.  I do not yet have a Swiss (or French) bank account, and will not for at least a couple weeks.  (I am American.)

A French friend in the US, who used to live in Geneva, suggested the Swiss postbank, but didn't know if this would work from a Swiss post to a French account.  (I don't know myself.) 

Thus, I turn to this forum to welcome any constructive suggestions about how I can clear this fine as quickly and effectively as possible (ideally tomorrow).  I can go to the TPG office at Cornavin tomorrow, but am not sanguine based on what the inspector told me today.

I'll note that I am not contesting that I was not ticketed properly (although I was confused and experienced no leniency, despite havnig a Zone 10 monthly pass). I am rather looking to rectify the fine.  Kind thanks in advance.

Cheers!

The text you are quoting:

Greetings,

I arrived last week to Geneva for a six month staysomewhat unware, and perhaps unlucky, new arrival to this wonderful city and region.  I am hoping to crowdsource knowledge here for circumstances encountered today:

Upon arrival last week, I bought a "Tout Geneve" Zone 10 monthly pass.  However, I rode the F bus, returning from a trip to Ferney (Zone 87), without understanding I had left Zone 10 and unaware of how to buy a ticket on the bus (there was no machine at the bus stop).  Of course, as luck would dictate, TPG inspectors were waiting before my return to Geneva, so I received a fine of 72 Euro, if paid within 2 (!) days, or else 128 Euro.

I asked (in English, I speak only a few words of French so far) if I could pay immediately in cash or card, and was told no.  I was told by the inspector that I must send a check or online transfer to the address or bank account on the back of the ticket, and that the TPG office in Geneva (e.g. Cornavin or elsehwere) could not accept the fine because I was penalized in France.  I do not yet have a Swiss (or French) bank account, and will not for at least a couple weeks.  (I am American.)

A French friend in the US, who used to live in Geneva, suggested the Swiss postbank, but didn't know if this would work from a Swiss post to a French account.  (I don't know myself.) 

Thus, I turn to this forum to welcome any constructive suggestions about how I can clear this fine as quickly and effectively as possible (ideally tomorrow).  I can go to the TPG office at Cornavin tomorrow, but am not sanguine based on what the inspector told me today.

I'll note that I am not contesting that I was not ticketed properly (although I was confused and experienced no leniency, despite havnig a Zone 10 monthly pass). I am rather looking to rectify the fine.  Kind thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Chris DAug 13, 2019 @ 00:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2131 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Paying TPG fine from Zone 87 (France) as new arrival to Geneva
Post 1

Someone else, more knowlegeable,  will no doubt come along,  but al I can say in the meantime is that I have paid into accounts in Germany and in Norway via Swisspost bank at the Post Office,  without having a bank account with them so I presume France would be okay too.

Best is to go in and ask them. Am sure there will be someone who would be able to speak English for this situation.

i had to pay I think it was 20CHF or so, transfer fee on top of the payments.

Someone else, more knowlegeable,  will no doubt come along,  but al I can say in the meantime is that I have paid into accounts in Germany and in Norway via Swisspost bank at the Post Office,  without having a bank account with them so I presume France would be okay too.

Best is to go in and ask them. Am sure there will be someone who would be able to speak English for this situation.

i had to pay I think it was 20CHF or so, transfer fee on top of the payments.

TogJay, Aug 13, 2019 @ 19:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In my view, you have two options.  Go to the TPG office at Cornavin railway station and insist on being seen by an English-speaking member of the staff.  When that person arrives, tell your story and ask what arrangement can be made for the payment of the fine.  Make sure you get the employee’s name and, if possible, identity badge number.

Alternaively, write a letter setting out all the details, in English, and send it by registered mail to the TPG.  Be sure to keep a copy.

You should get a reply within 7-8 days.  If not, send a second registered letter adding that you are now taking immediate legal advice.

What is essential in situations of this kind is to inform the other party that while you are prepared to cooperate  you are also seeking legal advice to substantiate your position.

One other important feature is that time is of the essence so don’t dilly or dally.

All the best, Ritchie

PS:  Make notes and copies of all you do and write and iif, in the long run, you feel you have been unfairly treated send your story to “Genève Home Informations”.  They might just be interested in publishing your tale.

Meantime, all the best, R.

In my view, you have two options.  Go to the TPG office at Cornavin railway station and insist on being seen by an English-speaking member of the staff.  When that person arrives, tell your story and ask what arrangement can be made for the payment of the fine.  Make sure you get the employee’s name and, if possible, identity badge number.

Alternaively, write a letter setting out all the details, in English, and send it by registered mail to the TPG.  Be sure to keep a copy.

You should get a reply within 7-8 days.  If not, send a second registered letter adding that you are now taking immediate legal advice.

What is essential in situations of this kind is to inform the other party that while you are prepared to cooperate  you are also seeking legal advice to substantiate your position.

One other important feature is that time is of the essence so don’t dilly or dally.

All the best, Ritchie

PS:  Make notes and copies of all you do and write and iif, in the long run, you feel you have been unfairly treated send your story to “Genève Home Informations”.  They might just be interested in publishing your tale.

Meantime, all the best, R.

Ritchie, Aug 13, 2019 @ 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Simple answer is yes .. You can pay this in any Swiss post office.

Hand them the fine ticket, pop your credit card in the machine, get a reciept.

Are you sure there's not even an online payment option?  Eg : check this link, enter the ref number of your fine, .. pay online??

https://constats.tpg.ch/constat/index.html

Simple answer is yes .. You can pay this in any Swiss post office.

Hand them the fine ticket, pop your credit card in the machine, get a reciept.

Are you sure there's not even an online payment option?  Eg : check this link, enter the ref number of your fine, .. pay online??

https://constats.tpg.ch/constat/index.html

John H, Aug 14, 2019 @ 09:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thank you for all responses.  My conclusion, posting for reference, perhaps to assist others in the future:

For expediency, my partner’s colleague offered to simply pay it online with his account and we reimbursed in cash.

However, yesterday, I did call TPG customer service (00800 022 021 20) and was helped by an English-speaking Customer Service Representative (CSR):

- Because the fine was levied in France, it could only be paid in France. 

- *Fee could be paid at a French post office* (unclear if you could at a Swiss Post office, but seems plausible to me)

- TPG @ Cornavin (i.e. F2F access point) could not accept payment

- Therewas no online portal to pay it (i.e. the TPG online pay portal ref’d above)

Cheers!

Thank you for all responses.  My conclusion, posting for reference, perhaps to assist others in the future:

For expediency, my partner’s colleague offered to simply pay it online with his account and we reimbursed in cash.

However, yesterday, I did call TPG customer service (00800 022 021 20) and was helped by an English-speaking Customer Service Representative (CSR):

- Because the fine was levied in France, it could only be paid in France. 

- *Fee could be paid at a French post office* (unclear if you could at a Swiss Post office, but seems plausible to me)

- TPG @ Cornavin (i.e. F2F access point) could not accept payment

- Therewas no online portal to pay it (i.e. the TPG online pay portal ref’d above)

Cheers!

Chris D, Aug 14, 2019 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

In my view, the fine is out of all proportion to the “offence” and if I were in your shoes I’d report what happened to Denis Berdoz, who is the CEO of Transports publics genevois, in a registered letter marked for his personal attention.

In my view, the fine is out of all proportion to the “offence” and if I were in your shoes I’d report what happened to Denis Berdoz, who is the CEO of Transports publics genevois, in a registered letter marked for his personal attention.

Ritchie, Aug 14, 2019 @ 12:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Does your fine mention about "payable to Tresor Public"?

If that is the case, you could probably go to the Tresor Public Office in Central Ferney with the fine and pay cash there. They take payment in cash not exceeding 300€.

Does your fine mention about "payable to Tresor Public"?

If that is the case, you could probably go to the Tresor Public Office in Central Ferney with the fine and pay cash there. They take payment in cash not exceeding 300€.

TreeOf Life, Aug 14, 2019 @ 15:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2131 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form