Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Permis C - Autorisation d'Absence

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Permis C - Autorisation d'Absence

I was told by the Office Cantonal de La Population that if I want to leave the country for an extended period and preserve my Permit C, I have to write a letter to them and explain to them why do I want to leave.  I can request anywhere from 6 months to 4 years absence.

Anyone has any experience with this process?  Seems like a subjective process and there is no real guidelines available.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Ahmed

The text you are quoting:

I was told by the Office Cantonal de La Population that if I want to leave the country for an extended period and preserve my Permit C, I have to write a letter to them and explain to them why do I want to leave.  I can request anywhere from 6 months to 4 years absence.

Anyone has any experience with this process?  Seems like a subjective process and there is no real guidelines available.

Ahmed

JustChillingJul 27, 2012 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 5508 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Permis C - Autorisation d'Absence
Post 1

Have had this as well, and my advise is: Be very carefull with this. I wrote them a letter, and the forms, to explain that I went on a temp mission to the middle east. (1 to 2 years). Thought everything was arranged, however, after one year in dubai, and comming back to GVA they now say they never received it.... So they are claiming that my domicile was in Geneva - so I have to pay taxes over the money earned in Dubai.... great. still no solution for it so if anybody has suggestion for that, more than welcome. I'd seek some professional help for this, I guess it's money well spent because it might cost me a shit load of money if I can't get out of this

Have had this as well, and my advise is: Be very carefull with this. I wrote them a letter, and the forms, to explain that I went on a temp mission to the middle east. (1 to 2 years). Thought everything was arranged, however, after one year in dubai, and comming back to GVA they now say they never received it.... So they are claiming that my domicile was in Geneva - so I have to pay taxes over the money earned in Dubai.... great. still no solution for it so if anybody has suggestion for that, more than welcome. I'd seek some professional help for this, I guess it's money well spent because it might cost me a shit load of money if I can't get out of this

martin, Jul 27, 2012 @ 13:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Ahmed

Jul 27, 12 12:54

Do yourself a favor and consult a lawyer. Whatever you do, whenever dealing with cantonal authorities, do everything by registered mail. 

Do yourself a favor and consult a lawyer. Whatever you do, whenever dealing with cantonal authorities, do everything by registered mail. 

Translator, Jul 27, 2012 @ 13:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I would also be grateful for advice on this subject. We live in Vaud and need to go back to UK for 1-2 years next year, and then will subsequently return to Switzerland. How does this relate to taxes and pension payments in Switzerland during this period of absence ?

I would also be grateful for advice on this subject. We live in Vaud and need to go back to UK for 1-2 years next year, and then will subsequently return to Switzerland. How does this relate to taxes and pension payments in Switzerland during this period of absence ?

Nev T, Oct 28, 2012 @ 19:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I did receive the letter from the canton allowing me an extended stay for 4 years.  Now I am planning to move back.  Does anyone know the process to receive Permit again?  Thanks.

I did receive the letter from the canton allowing me an extended stay for 4 years.  Now I am planning to move back.  Does anyone know the process to receive Permit again?  Thanks.

JustChilling, Aug 9, 2016 @ 06:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I'm also looking at applying for an autorisation d'absence (in my case to work in Myanmar for one year) and would be interested in any experience or advice anyone has on the process.

I'm also looking at applying for an autorisation d'absence (in my case to work in Myanmar for one year) and would be interested in any experience or advice anyone has on the process.

Peggy B, Feb 6, 2017 @ 16:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Peggy,

The process was pretty straight forward.  All I can suggest is that when leaving, fill out the necessary forms, return your permis C to them and receive the lettre de autorisation d'absence before leaving.  Make sure you have a color copy (scan a digital copy so easy to reproduce) of both the front and back of your permis before giving it back to the canton.  This was helpful when corresponding and dealing with other authorities.  When coming back fill out the form M and submit with the required fees.  That's really all you have to do. 

Good Luck.

Peggy,

The process was pretty straight forward.  All I can suggest is that when leaving, fill out the necessary forms, return your permis C to them and receive the lettre de autorisation d'absence before leaving.  Make sure you have a color copy (scan a digital copy so easy to reproduce) of both the front and back of your permis before giving it back to the canton.  This was helpful when corresponding and dealing with other authorities.  When coming back fill out the form M and submit with the required fees.  That's really all you have to do. 

Good Luck.

JustChilling, Feb 6, 2017 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thanks, that's very encouraging! I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the things that I need to sort before leaving and couldn't find much clear information on this.

Thanks, that's very encouraging! I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the things that I need to sort before leaving and couldn't find much clear information on this.

Peggy B, Feb 6, 2017 @ 19:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hello, 

I plan to leave in a temporary mission to France in the frame of my job. During this mission I will keep my contract in switzerland. However, as I am staying more than 3 months in France I will need a work permit and will pay taxes there. I currently have a B permit and the authorities in my canton mentioned that I can put it on hold and get it back at my return. However, I heard that I might loose the seniority (number of years I have already spent in Switzerland) which counts for the application to the C permit. Do you know if there is a way not to loose these years? (keeping an address in switzerland, paying health insurance..). Also if I only leave for 6 months and come back to switzerland for a given period how log should I wait before leaving again for 6 months?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Hello, 

I plan to leave in a temporary mission to France in the frame of my job. During this mission I will keep my contract in switzerland. However, as I am staying more than 3 months in France I will need a work permit and will pay taxes there. I currently have a B permit and the authorities in my canton mentioned that I can put it on hold and get it back at my return. However, I heard that I might loose the seniority (number of years I have already spent in Switzerland) which counts for the application to the C permit. Do you know if there is a way not to loose these years? (keeping an address in switzerland, paying health insurance..). Also if I only leave for 6 months and come back to switzerland for a given period how log should I wait before leaving again for 6 months?

Cyr C, May 5, 2017 @ 18:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hello, 

May 5, 17 18:28

If I were you, I would go back to HR and ask them to clarify the details of your French secondment.  If your employment contract is still in CH, you return for the weekend and you have a temp place in  France, and the number of days spent there is below 183 days a year, you should be considered as a Swiss resident for personal income tax resons and not French.

Temporary secondment is hardly unlikely to change the tax residency for ypu.

If I were you, I would go back to HR and ask them to clarify the details of your French secondment.  If your employment contract is still in CH, you return for the weekend and you have a temp place in  France, and the number of days spent there is below 183 days a year, you should be considered as a Swiss resident for personal income tax resons and not French.

Temporary secondment is hardly unlikely to change the tax residency for ypu.

Reka Y, May 5, 2017 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi everyone, I'm 're-opening' this thread on Permis C holders and the possibility to leave Geneva for a while, then returning and getting back your Permis C.

I see that some people have had experience with this, which is encouraging, but I wonder if you still have to pay for a Swiss health insurance during your absence. It would seem logical that not (your obligation to insure yourself while in Switzerland ceases for the period of time during which you leave the country), but I received contradictory information about this so I was wondering if those of you who requested the authorization of absence could clarify how it worked for them?

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi everyone, I'm 're-opening' this thread on Permis C holders and the possibility to leave Geneva for a while, then returning and getting back your Permis C.

I see that some people have had experience with this, which is encouraging, but I wonder if you still have to pay for a Swiss health insurance during your absence. It would seem logical that not (your obligation to insure yourself while in Switzerland ceases for the period of time during which you leave the country), but I received contradictory information about this so I was wondering if those of you who requested the authorization of absence could clarify how it worked for them?

Thank you so much in advance!

Nina D, Jul 14, 2019 @ 21:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

No, you don't need to have health insurance during this period as you will be "absent" during this period.

No, you don't need to have health insurance during this period as you will be "absent" during this period.

JustChilling, Jul 14, 2019 @ 21:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

This is the best news of the day (possibly year!). Thank you so much!

This is the best news of the day (possibly year!). Thank you so much!

Nina D, Jul 14, 2019 @ 23:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Same as Martin, I left for 5 years and informed them, but when I got back they had cancelled my C permit, I needed to get a lawyer to get it back.
I suggest you go the the Office Cantonale de la Population and get the forms and give them physically to them, with acknowledgement..

Same as Martin, I left for 5 years and informed them, but when I got back they had cancelled my C permit, I needed to get a lawyer to get it back.
I suggest you go the the Office Cantonale de la Population and get the forms and give them physically to them, with acknowledgement..

DSS1, Jul 15, 2019 @ 10:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Yes,  Make sure you have the official letter from the Canton which has the last date of return listed on it.  When you come back, you have to present this letter to get your permit back.  This is what I did and worked quite smoothly.

Yes,  Make sure you have the official letter from the Canton which has the last date of return listed on it.  When you come back, you have to present this letter to get your permit back.  This is what I did and worked quite smoothly.

JustChilling, Jul 15, 2019 @ 10:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hello everyone, 

I see lots of people who have gone through the procedure here and would love to get your input. 
I have just gave my documents along with my permit to the OCPM. Unfortunately, I could not do it 30 days in advance as they ask it but did it only 12 days in advance of my departure. To speed things up, I left it at OCPM directly instead of sending it through post, after getting this recommendation from one of the OCPM workers I had over the phone (after 2h wait). 

The question i have is: do you remember how long it took you to get this paper? Do you think i have a change to get it before my departure? I told them that it was urgent and inserted a letter explaining everything (I also asked them to send it to an address in CH in case it's not issued before my depature, to avoid loss in transit). I really would love to get it before i leave and I am kind of worried. 

I would appreciate if you can tell me how long it actually took for you guys. 

Thanks!

Hello everyone, 

I see lots of people who have gone through the procedure here and would love to get your input. 
I have just gave my documents along with my permit to the OCPM. Unfortunately, I could not do it 30 days in advance as they ask it but did it only 12 days in advance of my departure. To speed things up, I left it at OCPM directly instead of sending it through post, after getting this recommendation from one of the OCPM workers I had over the phone (after 2h wait). 

The question i have is: do you remember how long it took you to get this paper? Do you think i have a change to get it before my departure? I told them that it was urgent and inserted a letter explaining everything (I also asked them to send it to an address in CH in case it's not issued before my depature, to avoid loss in transit). I really would love to get it before i leave and I am kind of worried. 

I would appreciate if you can tell me how long it actually took for you guys. 

Thanks!

Cacoon Paraqat, Aug 9, 2019 @ 19:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 5508 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form