Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Permis de conduire

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Permis de conduire
If you want to drive legally as a resident in Geneva, I understand you have to get a Swiss driving licence within 12 months of arriving here.

I've been through the links on the site www.geneve.ch/san, and it looks straightforward enough (apart from the limited office opening hours), but is it really as easy as it sounds? Has anyone got recent experience of this and any tips to pass on?

Thanks!
The text you are quoting:
If you want to drive legally as a resident in Geneva, I understand you have to get a Swiss driving licence within 12 months of arriving here.

I've been through the links on the site www.geneve.ch/san, and it looks straightforward enough (apart from the limited office opening hours), but is it really as easy as it sounds? Has anyone got recent experience of this and any tips to pass on?

Thanks!
elvisMar 18, 2006 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1854 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Permis de conduire
Post 1
No problems , although they will take your British driving licence away and replace it with a Swiss . I would take a photo copy first or even better apply for a creditcard size licence in the UK and give up your paper one at the Swiss office.
No problems , although they will take your British driving licence away and replace it with a Swiss . I would take a photo copy first or even better apply for a creditcard size licence in the UK and give up your paper one at the Swiss office.
britabroad, Mar 18, 2006 @ 12:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
surprising, but it really is that easy. You go there and they do it for you. 2 things you should do:

- have a photo copy of your current licence with you (cos the swiss guys may make you leave your current licence with them)

- have a passport pic of you.

surprising, but it really is that easy. You go there and they do it for you. 2 things you should do:

- have a photo copy of your current licence with you (cos the swiss guys may make you leave your current licence with them)

- have a passport pic of you.

Nir Ofek, Mar 18, 2006 @ 16:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
don't forget you have to pass your eye test first. There is a list in the website you mentioned of the accepted opticians
don't forget you have to pass your eye test first. There is a list in the website you mentioned of the accepted opticians
virginia, Mar 21, 2006 @ 22:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I LOVE this. In the US, you have to re-apply every few years. I just keep the Swiss one, and use it in the US. :)
I LOVE this. In the US, you have to re-apply every few years. I just keep the Swiss one, and use it in the US. :)
Jennifer, Mar 23, 2006 @ 20:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Thanks for the tips.

So...you get your Swiss licence and give up your native one and, if you return home, I guess you swap your licence back again if you want to (at least that's what I understood from the UK DVLA forms)...

Do Swiss licences have expiry dates at all? UK ones last till you are 70 then you have to re-apply (just looking 36 years ahead!).
Thanks for the tips.

So...you get your Swiss licence and give up your native one and, if you return home, I guess you swap your licence back again if you want to (at least that's what I understood from the UK DVLA forms)...

Do Swiss licences have expiry dates at all? UK ones last till you are 70 then you have to re-apply (just looking 36 years ahead!).
elvis, Mar 28, 2006 @ 10:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I let it expire - but I didn't give it up. That was back in 1995. Have they changed, and do they now force you to give up your foreign licence?

I thought we Americans only did that!
I let it expire - but I didn't give it up. That was back in 1995. Have they changed, and do they now force you to give up your foreign licence?

I thought we Americans only did that!
Jennifer, Mar 29, 2006 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1854 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form