Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Permit B and will lose job

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Permit B and will lose job

hello all,  

I want to ask a question. I have a Permit B which valid until 2022.09. If I lose the job today. Will my permit b still valid until 2022.09 or 2021.02?  Thanks! 

Yaxin 

The text you are quoting:

hello all,  

I want to ask a question. I have a Permit B which valid until 2022.09. If I lose the job today. Will my permit b still valid until 2022.09 or 2021.02?  Thanks! 

Yaxin 

Yaxin ZJan 22, 2021 @ 10:07
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1813 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Permit B and will lose job
Post 1

I really need some help! As I contacted OCPM that they mentioned that my residence permit is linked with my employment. If I lose the job, I'm not allowed to live in Switzerland. And furthermore, my request of a look for job permit will be refused.  Below if the answer from OCPM. Was my understanding correct? 

" Votre autorisation de séjour actuelle est conditionnée à l'activité lucrative auprès de votre employeur. C'est donc le but de votre séjour actuel.

Vous avez le droit de déposer une demande d'autorisation de séjour afin de chercher un nouvel emploi, mais nous vous informons d'ores et déjà que nous refuserons cette demande "  

I really need some help! As I contacted OCPM that they mentioned that my residence permit is linked with my employment. If I lose the job, I'm not allowed to live in Switzerland. And furthermore, my request of a look for job permit will be refused.  Below if the answer from OCPM. Was my understanding correct? 

" Votre autorisation de séjour actuelle est conditionnée à l'activité lucrative auprès de votre employeur. C'est donc le but de votre séjour actuel.

Vous avez le droit de déposer une demande d'autorisation de séjour afin de chercher un nouvel emploi, mais nous vous informons d'ores et déjà que nous refuserons cette demande "  

Yaxin Z, Jan 22, 2021 @ 10:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Yaxin,
I am really sorry for your case.

Non-EU citizens have their living permit attached to their working permit. In case you would lose your job, you would automatically lose your living permit.

However, it may be possible to obtain unemployment benefits for three months or even till the expiration date of your permit if you worked for the past 12 months. If you have a degree from a Swiss University/school u can have additional six months to search for a job and in this case since you are allowed to live in Switzerland, and if so you will also be entitled to have unemployment benefits.   

At the immigration office, they may not provide you with the correct information and I suggest you contact the unemployment sector. Meanwhile, do your best to find a new job and during the remaining three months, you may find something else. Many years ago I was in the "edge" - my contract could not be extended, since the maximal time a non-EU can work at Swiss universities is eight years and I was informed about if six weeks before my contract expired, luckily I found something extremely fast - however, I verified all these aspects raised in this post.

I wish you all the best!!!!

Best regards,

Hi Yaxin,
I am really sorry for your case.

Non-EU citizens have their living permit attached to their working permit. In case you would lose your job, you would automatically lose your living permit.

However, it may be possible to obtain unemployment benefits for three months or even till the expiration date of your permit if you worked for the past 12 months. If you have a degree from a Swiss University/school u can have additional six months to search for a job and in this case since you are allowed to live in Switzerland, and if so you will also be entitled to have unemployment benefits.   

At the immigration office, they may not provide you with the correct information and I suggest you contact the unemployment sector. Meanwhile, do your best to find a new job and during the remaining three months, you may find something else. Many years ago I was in the "edge" - my contract could not be extended, since the maximal time a non-EU can work at Swiss universities is eight years and I was informed about if six weeks before my contract expired, luckily I found something extremely fast - however, I verified all these aspects raised in this post.

I wish you all the best!!!!

Best regards,

Marcelo O, Jan 22, 2021 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sorry Yaxin,

I am sure u know it:
Switzerland has restricted quotas for foreign workers - if the OCPM told you something negative, it means that the quotas were already fulfilled in GE - however, does not mean that it would be the same in other cantons....
If you really want to stay here, you could study something in Switzerland - however, do not feel sad about it! Life is really unpredictable :)

Sorry Yaxin,

I am sure u know it:
Switzerland has restricted quotas for foreign workers - if the OCPM told you something negative, it means that the quotas were already fulfilled in GE - however, does not mean that it would be the same in other cantons....
If you really want to stay here, you could study something in Switzerland - however, do not feel sad about it! Life is really unpredictable :)

Marcelo O, Jan 22, 2021 @ 23:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Other option would be to start an independent business activity and register at OCAS.

Other option would be to start an independent business activity and register at OCAS.

Kris R, Jan 22, 2021 @ 23:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks Kris! I will try this option as well! 

Thanks Kris! I will try this option as well! 

Yaxin Z, Jan 26, 2021 @ 18:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1813 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form