Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Phone-free events/spaces in Geneva & Romandie area

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Phone-free events/spaces in Geneva & Romandie area

Hi all,

I ve been playing with an idea for a little while and would like to sound out your opinion/interest.

- Would you be interested in sort of "pop-up" phone-free events/spaces?

- How would you feel about say, a cafe opening occasionnaly (once a month, once a week..) to become a phone-free space. No smart phone allowed. Bring your book, newspaper, friends, or none of these and just enjoy a quiet time sipping your coffee, gazing outside..

Could be a place where you would enjoy going for lunch, knowing that lunch time will mean phone detox. Not just you, but you wouldn't see anyone on their phone around you.

My ideas extended to the possibility of phone-free spaces in public areas...

Also where kids are concerned, how could we encourage kids to get off their phones, by creating phone-free events, spaces for them too.  

Anyway, it's a wide open conversation. I am interested in how people would feel about these ideas... And might have other ones along the lines of "let's create spaces where we can reconnect with ourself and each other". And regain control of our attention.

Looking forward to your feedbacks.

Thank you in advance,  

Julie

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

I ve been playing with an idea for a little while and would like to sound out your opinion/interest.

- How would you feel about say, a cafe opening occasionnaly (once a month, once a week..) to become a phone-free space. No smart phone allowed. Bring your book, newspaper, friends, or none of these and just enjoy a quiet time sipping your coffee, gazing outside..

Could be a place where you would enjoy going for lunch, knowing that lunch time will mean phone detox. Not just you, but you wouldn't see anyone on their phone around you.

Also where kids are concerned, how could we encourage kids to get off their phones, by creating phone-free events, spaces for them too.  

Anyway, it's a wide open conversation. I am interested in how people would feel about these ideas... And might have other ones along the lines of "let's create spaces where we can reconnect with ourself and each other". And regain control of our attention.

Thank you in advance,  

Julie

Julie CAug 7, 2018 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 806 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Phone-free events/spaces in Geneva & Romandie area
Post 1

As painful as it may seem I like it 

As painful as it may seem I like it 

Michel D, Aug 7, 2018 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I’m all in favour of your idea.  If we can ban smoking in public places, banning mobile phones shouldn’t be a problem.

R.

I’m all in favour of your idea.  If we can ban smoking in public places, banning mobile phones shouldn’t be a problem.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 7, 2018 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Why do we create mobile phones and then ban them after several years?

We are definitly living in a stange world...

Pierre Darien, Aug 7, 2018 @ 19:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Apart from dear Ritchie, about whom I am not certain, shock horror..... I do not have a mobile 'phone of any description, Smart or otherwise. Hate the darned things, so this would be a most welcome idea if it could be put into practice.

In fact, there are some "no 'phone" carriages on the railway lines in the UK, between Waterloo and New Milton, one carriage set aside for peace and quiet. BLISS!

Apart from dear Ritchie, about whom I am not certain, shock horror..... I do not have a mobile 'phone of any description, Smart or otherwise. Hate the darned things, so this would be a most welcome idea if it could be put into practice.

In fact, there are some "no 'phone" carriages on the railway lines in the UK, between Waterloo and New Milton, one carriage set aside for peace and quiet. BLISS!

sheila c, Aug 7, 2018 @ 20:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Aug 7, 18 19:49

The suggestion is not to ban mobile phones 100%, only to restrict their use in certain well-defined places and circumstances in much the same way as, say, motor vehicles are banned from pedestrian zones or smoking is forbidden in certain environments.

The suggestion is not to ban mobile phones 100%, only to restrict their use in certain well-defined places and circumstances in much the same way as, say, motor vehicles are banned from pedestrian zones or smoking is forbidden in certain environments.

Ritchie, Aug 7, 2018 @ 21:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

i love it! 

a moment when each person is present in the place where they actually are, wouldnt that be wonderful!

i love it! 

a moment when each person is present in the place where they actually are, wouldnt that be wonderful!

Denisa H, Aug 8, 2018 @ 16:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Following on from Sheila C's info about a phone ban on trains in England, I’d ban the use of phones on Geneva’s trams (except of course for the last-minute purchase of a ticket to ride).

Following on from Sheila C's info about a phone ban on trains in England, I’d ban the use of phones on Geneva’s trams (except of course for the last-minute purchase of a ticket to ride).

Ritchie, Aug 8, 2018 @ 19:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Brilliant idea. Maybe people might learn to talk to each other again. Or actually notice when someone within touching distance is feeling distressed or unwell.

Brilliant idea. Maybe people might learn to talk to each other again. Or actually notice when someone within touching distance is feeling distressed or unwell.

Rosemary H, Nov 24, 2018 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi all,

Thank you in advance,  

Julie

Aug 7, 18 11:31

I will text you with my response to your ideas, or give you a call, as soon as I finish going through my email Laughing

I will text you with my response to your ideas, or give you a call, as soon as I finish going through my email Laughing

JR M, Nov 24, 2018 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 806 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form