Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Primary School for Foreigners

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Primary School for Foreigners
Hi, everybody,
I am a new member, I am moving to Geneva in May, for a 2 year contract.
I am married and a mother of 2 small children, and portuguese. My husband won't be able
to join me, and I am considering the option of bringing one or two of the
children with me.
I have seen a lot of information on my employer's site, and on the official
sites, but i still have a lot of questions about school for primary grade children.
e.g.:
1) If most of the schools close on wednesday, what does a full-time working mother
do with her children ?
2) How is the integration of small foreign children in the school system ? I'd like
to hear some personal experiences from you ? French or Swiss ? State or Private ?
3) My youngest one is set to start 1st grade this year. Is this a good option for
someone who is starting to read and write, to start with a foreign language? Or better
for a 3rd grader like my eldest ?

Thanks a lot for all the info you can give me!! Looking forward to live in Geneva,
alone or not!

Florbela
The text you are quoting:
Hi, everybody,
I am a new member, I am moving to Geneva in May, for a 2 year contract.
I am married and a mother of 2 small children, and portuguese. My husband won't be able
to join me, and I am considering the option of bringing one or two of the
children with me.
I have seen a lot of information on my employer's site, and on the official
sites, but i still have a lot of questions about school for primary grade children.
e.g.:
1) If most of the schools close on wednesday, what does a full-time working mother
do with her children ?
2) How is the integration of small foreign children in the school system ? I'd like
to hear some personal experiences from you ? French or Swiss ? State or Private ?
3) My youngest one is set to start 1st grade this year. Is this a good option for
someone who is starting to read and write, to start with a foreign language? Or better
for a 3rd grader like my eldest ?

Thanks a lot for all the info you can give me!! Looking forward to live in Geneva,
alone or not!

Florbela

chakaalMar 21, 2006 @ 18:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1334 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Primary School for Foreigners
Post 1
Hi Flor, welcome (soon) to Geneva. Here's some answers, based on limited personal experience. I hope more members will help here.

1) If most of the schools close on wednesday, what does a full-time working mother do with her children ?
Most schools indeed close on Wed. I never understood this system's reason-for-being, but it's true. Most full time working parents I know find a baby sitting service, or what is a called a 'maman du jour' (mum for a day). This maman-du-jour is a trainer sitter, who usually keeps 2-3 kids at her place during the day. However, i) a good one is hard to find; ii) they are expensive. Might be a solution for you to try to find (maybe via this community) a parent/nanny who are free on Wed...

2) How is the integration of small foreign children in the school system ? I'd like to hear some personal experiences from you ? French or Swiss ? State or Private ?
Speaking only of Swiss public schools, there are NO special programs for integrating foreign children into local schools. The kids get thrown into the water, and after fluttering around a bit they swim (and usually quickly).
On swiss public vs private schools: from my experience, most public schools are good. However, the private ones are superb. You can choose them by teaching system, and they offer more advanced methods, better paid staff, and smaller classes. However, they will set you back 10-15K a year. Let me know if you want more details on this.

3) My youngest one is set to start 1st grade this year. Is this a good option for someone who is starting to read and write, to start with a foreign language? Or better for a 3rd grader like my eldest ?
This one is beyond my knowledge, sorry...

Nir
Hi Flor, welcome (soon) to Geneva. Here's some answers, based on limited personal experience. I hope more members will help here.

1) If most of the schools close on wednesday, what does a full-time working mother do with her children ?
Most schools indeed close on Wed. I never understood this system's reason-for-being, but it's true. Most full time working parents I know find a baby sitting service, or what is a called a 'maman du jour' (mum for a day). This maman-du-jour is a trainer sitter, who usually keeps 2-3 kids at her place during the day. However, i) a good one is hard to find; ii) they are expensive. Might be a solution for you to try to find (maybe via this community) a parent/nanny who are free on Wed...

2) How is the integration of small foreign children in the school system ? I'd like to hear some personal experiences from you ? French or Swiss ? State or Private ?
Speaking only of Swiss public schools, there are NO special programs for integrating foreign children into local schools. The kids get thrown into the water, and after fluttering around a bit they swim (and usually quickly).
On swiss public vs private schools: from my experience, most public schools are good. However, the private ones are superb. You can choose them by teaching system, and they offer more advanced methods, better paid staff, and smaller classes. However, they will set you back 10-15K a year. Let me know if you want more details on this.

3) My youngest one is set to start 1st grade this year. Is this a good option for someone who is starting to read and write, to start with a foreign language? Or better for a 3rd grader like my eldest ?
This one is beyond my knowledge, sorry...

Nir
Nir Ofek, Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
1) Most mums working full time can either take a nanny to take care of their children or put them in what we call here "Centres Aeres". It's not too expensive and the kids stay there all day doing activities,

2) When a child comes from a foreign country, there are classes in the public schools (I think this is also a possibility in the private ones) to allow him/her to quickly learn the language (and it works! Kids learn really fast!),

3) If your child can easily adapt to different environment, you could try the 1st grade in the public school closer to your house. If not, and you have the financial conditions for that, Montessori or Rudolph Steiner private schools.

Hope this helps!
1) Most mums working full time can either take a nanny to take care of their children or put them in what we call here "Centres Aeres". It's not too expensive and the kids stay there all day doing activities,

2) When a child comes from a foreign country, there are classes in the public schools (I think this is also a possibility in the private ones) to allow him/her to quickly learn the language (and it works! Kids learn really fast!),

3) If your child can easily adapt to different environment, you could try the 1st grade in the public school closer to your house. If not, and you have the financial conditions for that, Montessori or Rudolph Steiner private schools.

Hope this helps!

Iolly, Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thank you for your answers, I will look into it. Anyway, it is a decision
not to be made lightly.I have to look into the financial and emotional
aspects of it.
Thanks for the centres aeres sugestion, I have found a site "parent.ch" with lots
of info.Maybe I will do a "trial run" on the holidays, to see how my kids integrate...
Thanks a lot. Off to introduction forum now, I have to post my new member hello.
See you in May, at some party :-)

Florbela.
Thank you for your answers, I will look into it. Anyway, it is a decision
not to be made lightly.I have to look into the financial and emotional
aspects of it.
Thanks for the centres aeres sugestion, I have found a site "parent.ch" with lots
of info.Maybe I will do a "trial run" on the holidays, to see how my kids integrate...
Thanks a lot. Off to introduction forum now, I have to post my new member hello.
See you in May, at some party :-)

Florbela.
chakaal, Mar 22, 2006 @ 13:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hello,
Going into first grade, your son is at the most optimum age to put him in school in a new language. I did the same as a child in Spain (my American parents didn't speak Spanish). The only thing is, though, if you want him to keep his literacy skills in your first language, you'll have to really work hard at home with it - maybe even hire a tutor.

Michele Peles
MS '94 Second Language Acquisition
State University of New York at Albany
Hello,
Going into first grade, your son is at the most optimum age to put him in school in a new language. I did the same as a child in Spain (my American parents didn't speak Spanish). The only thing is, though, if you want him to keep his literacy skills in your first language, you'll have to really work hard at home with it - maybe even hire a tutor.

Michele Peles
MS '94 Second Language Acquisition
State University of New York at Albany
3PuttBogey, Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1334 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form