Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Procedure selling car

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Procedure selling car

Good morning everyone!

I'm thinking about selling my car in Geneva, and I would like to understand the procedure.

Does anyone of you has gone through that procedure already?

- Is there any contract / form / etc that needs to be officially filled for le "Service des Automobiles"?

- Do I need to pay any taxes if I sell my car with "GE" plates in Geneva to a private customer?

Any tips are welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance

The text you are quoting:

Good morning everyone!

I'm thinking about selling my car in Geneva, and I would like to understand the procedure.

Does anyone of you has gone through that procedure already?

- Is there any contract / form / etc that needs to be officially filled for le "Service des Automobiles"?

- Do I need to pay any taxes if I sell my car with "GE" plates in Geneva to a private customer?

Any tips are welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance

Luis PSep 24, 2013 @ 08:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1745 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Procedure selling car
Post 1

To sell the car, I would suggest you to fill in with the buyer a contract, if you need I have one in french and english.

You cannot sell your car with it's plates, you will have to return those to the automobile services, uneless you want to buy another car.

When returning the plates to automobile services, a "Cancelled" stamp will be applied on your grey card, the new owner will need this cancelled grey card in order to register the car on his own and get new plates.

You can sell the car before cancelling the plates, but the new owner won't be able to register the car until you have done so. So usually people do the trade directly at the automobile services so cancellation and registration can be done at same time by seller and buyer.

When cancelling the grey card, you will later on be reimbursed of the unused taxes, and you will be able to also cancel your car insurance for the unused premiums.

at your disposal for any further information

cheers, Aymeric, Glocals agent at Allianz

To sell the car, I would suggest you to fill in with the buyer a contract, if you need I have one in french and english.

You cannot sell your car with it's plates, you will have to return those to the automobile services, uneless you want to buy another car.

When returning the plates to automobile services, a "Cancelled" stamp will be applied on your grey card, the new owner will need this cancelled grey card in order to register the car on his own and get new plates.

You can sell the car before cancelling the plates, but the new owner won't be able to register the car until you have done so. So usually people do the trade directly at the automobile services so cancellation and registration can be done at same time by seller and buyer.

When cancelling the grey card, you will later on be reimbursed of the unused taxes, and you will be able to also cancel your car insurance for the unused premiums.

Aymeric Brossard, Sep 24, 2013 @ 09:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks a lot for your answer Aymeric.

Do you know, btw, if any tax need to be paid of the income received as selling the car?

Thanks a lot for your answer Aymeric.

Do you know, btw, if any tax need to be paid of the income received as selling the car?

Luis P, Sep 24, 2013 @ 22:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sep 24, 13 09:03

Hello! I know this post was here for quite a while  - but I hope you still can help me out and provide me with templates of car sale and purchase agreement, preferably in English - my friend is in the process of selling his car and we've been lookingh for any templates. Thank you in advance!

Hello! I know this post was here for quite a while  - but I hope you still can help me out and provide me with templates of car sale and purchase agreement, preferably in English - my friend is in the process of selling his car and we've been lookingh for any templates. Thank you in advance!

Aida S, Sep 30, 2016 @ 16:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi,

I have one in french and English that I give to my customers when they buy or sell a second hand vehicle.

Drop me an email and i'll send it to you.

Hi,

I have one in french and English that I give to my customers when they buy or sell a second hand vehicle.

Drop me an email and i'll send it to you.

Aymeric Brossard, Sep 30, 2016 @ 18:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi,

thanks for the info, very useful. Do you know how I can request the refund of the unused taxes?

Thanks 

David 

Hi,

thanks for the info, very useful. Do you know how I can request the refund of the unused taxes?

Thanks 

David 

David M, Nov 11, 2019 @ 15:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Sent you a message

Sent you a message

Aymeric Brossard, Nov 14, 2019 @ 09:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi,

Thanks 

David 

Nov 11, 19 15:23

Hi, you can always send a letter to authorities to inform them that you won't take another car but usually It's done automatically after a certain time. They will send you a purple cheque that you may cash-in at any post office.

However, be carefull as they have an expiry date of 1 month written on it, (I made the experience recently ;-)  . passed that date you will need to contact motor department to ask them to re-issue a cheque.

Best

Hi, you can always send a letter to authorities to inform them that you won't take another car but usually It's done automatically after a certain time. They will send you a purple cheque that you may cash-in at any post office.

However, be carefull as they have an expiry date of 1 month written on it, (I made the experience recently ;-)  . passed that date you will need to contact motor department to ask them to re-issue a cheque.

Best

Aymeric Brossard, Nov 15, 2019 @ 10:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1745 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form