Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Quality of Public Schools

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Quality of Public Schools

Is there a site that I can visit that ranks public schools by Performance, Manners, etc?

If not are there any parents on this site who can share experiences with public schools especially for young black girls, with an Anglophone back ground.

Where can they get the best education and orientation in view of the fact that they can hardly speak French?

The text you are quoting:

Is there a site that I can visit that ranks public schools by Performance, Manners, etc?

If not are there any parents on this site who can share experiences with public schools especially for young black girls, with an Anglophone back ground.

Where can they get the best education and orientation in view of the fact that they can hardly speak French?
ShutaNov 17, 2008 @ 13:57

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1995 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Quality of Public Schools
Post 1
I'm curious, why do you mention race?

Do you think it matters?

If so, how so?

I don't mean to begin a debate on the issue but I would really like to know how it feels for you coming into a country that I understand is quite unashamedly racist.
I'm curious, why do you mention race?

Do you think it matters?

If so, how so?

I don't mean to begin a debate on the issue but I would really like to know how it feels for you coming into a country that I understand is quite unashamedly racist.
cigbar, Nov 17, 2008 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Let us not go there!!!!!!!

I will appreciate all the information I can get about public schools.

Let us not go there!!!!!!!

I will appreciate all the information I can get about public schools.
Shuta, Nov 18, 2008 @ 09:36

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Well, what can I say - my first two went through public school, and for two years my son had a black kid in his class who was his friend. I can't remember hearing that this child had any particular problems. But then, you know, it's public school - anything can happen, like for the teachers: some are good, some not - it's like lottery :))) For not speaking French, now there are kids like that all the time in public school, so they should be able to handle it! :hehe: And kids learn fast, lucky them :D Sorry I'm not that big a fan of school, we're homeschooling our youngest :P:D:P:D
Well, what can I say - my first two went through public school, and for two years my son had a black kid in his class who was his friend. I can't remember hearing that this child had any particular problems. But then, you know, it's public school - anything can happen, like for the teachers: some are good, some not - it's like lottery :))) For not speaking French, now there are kids like that all the time in public school, so they should be able to handle it! :hehe: And kids learn fast, lucky them :D Sorry I'm not that big a fan of school, we're homeschooling our youngest :P:D:P:D
Paxxie, Nov 18, 2008 @ 16:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
"mini me" is loving going to the local school.Today she came back from her first skating lesson with her class:D(wouldn't get that in the uk)

She is not the only non French speaker in her class....there are another 4.They all have extra french during the week.She is not having any probs picking up French words,and will do the ordering in the bakers in French!!!!!:hehe:
"mini me" is loving going to the local school.Today she came back from her first skating lesson with her class:D(wouldn't get that in the uk)

She is not the only non French speaker in her class....there are another 4.They all have extra french during the week.She is not having any probs picking up French words,and will do the ordering in the bakers in French!!!!!:hehe:
Nookes, Nov 18, 2008 @ 16:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Allow me to follow-up this thread regarding the question of public shcool quality in Geneva.

Of course it is free but what should be the 'service' expected from the teacher or the school? My son is not a french-speaker, learns very very fast (now without any accent at all), but language is not the only thing to be edcucated during their ages. I feel children in his school are not concentrating on study, teacher does not teach a lot, etc...

Any advices if this is normal in Geneva, or depends on the school area? Thanks.

Allow me to follow-up this thread regarding the question of public shcool quality in Geneva.

Of course it is free but what should be the 'service' expected from the teacher or the school? My son is not a french-speaker, learns very very fast (now without any accent at all), but language is not the only thing to be edcucated during their ages. I feel children in his school are not concentrating on study, teacher does not teach a lot, etc...

Any advices if this is normal in Geneva, or depends on the school area? Thanks.

Jessica G, Aug 24, 2014 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi the school sounds great. Can I ask which one?

Hi the school sounds great. Can I ask which one?

Fronigs G, May 2, 2015 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Nov 18, 08 16:12

Could you please let me know how the homeschooling works?

Could you please let me know how the homeschooling works?

Giuliano O, Sep 13, 2020 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Can I add my 6 pence worth....

Ive educcated two kids publicly in switzerland... obviously the younger they start the better....

The main issue is the language and for older kids that can be daunting and testing, however we need to remember that kids do learn very quickly especially because they need to find a way to communicate with friends... its not uncommon in Geneva for kids to speak two or three languages...mine now speak English, Russian (mothers  tongue) , French and German.

Its a bit like swimming, best to throw them in, even if it means they drop a year,

At least 40% of kids in schools are not Swiss, so theyre not alone and schools are pretty well versed in handling incoming foreign students.

Mine were started in a bilingual Montessouri, and then went into standard school. They were moved in early teen to the Germanic side... due to divorce, and picked up German quickly with some little help.

Its probably more scary for you than them after the first day.

Good luck.

Can I add my 6 pence worth....

Ive educcated two kids publicly in switzerland... obviously the younger they start the better....

The main issue is the language and for older kids that can be daunting and testing, however we need to remember that kids do learn very quickly especially because they need to find a way to communicate with friends... its not uncommon in Geneva for kids to speak two or three languages...mine now speak English, Russian (mothers  tongue) , French and German.

Its a bit like swimming, best to throw them in, even if it means they drop a year,

At least 40% of kids in schools are not Swiss, so theyre not alone and schools are pretty well versed in handling incoming foreign students.

Mine were started in a bilingual Montessouri, and then went into standard school. They were moved in early teen to the Germanic side... due to divorce, and picked up German quickly with some little help.

Its probably more scary for you than them after the first day.

Good luck.

Charlie, Sep 14, 2020 @ 16:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1995 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form