Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Radiator pipe dilating, making noise

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Radiator pipe dilating, making noise

Hi all,

I have this very weird problem with the apartment I just rented in Geneva, in 1205 Plainpalais. Very old building. 

Because of the heating that goes in the radiator, the pipe that goes from the wall to the radiator dilates and makes this terrible noise, every 1-2 seconds, especially during night time (11PM, 2AM, 3.30AM, 5AM, 6AM) etc. 

I have been trying for the past two months to get the Regie (Bernard Nicod) to fix it, with no luck.

Do you have any idea what I can do myself that might be able to fix it? Did any of you experience this? Just want to emphasise the fact that this is not a low noise, but quite a powerful, annoying one. I understand that virtually all old flats have this problem, but in the other rooms, for example, the noise is almost undetectable.

I will try and paste youtube and souncloud links below (with the recording of the sound), hopefully the forum admins will not block it:

https://youtu.be/xO6DvBAO5dU

https://youtu.be/362EAo2cuOY

https://soundcloud.com/dan-colceriu/radiator-19-december-at-3am/s-jpPgS

Thanks,
Dan

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

I have this very weird problem with the apartment I just rented in Geneva, in 1205 Plainpalais. Very old building. 

Because of the heating that goes in the radiator, the pipe that goes from the wall to the radiator dilates and makes this terrible noise, every 1-2 seconds, especially during night time (11PM, 2AM, 3.30AM, 5AM, 6AM) etc. 

I have been trying for the past two months to get the Regie (Bernard Nicod) to fix it, with no luck.

Do you have any idea what I can do myself that might be able to fix it? Did any of you experience this? Just want to emphasise the fact that this is not a low noise, but quite a powerful, annoying one. I understand that virtually all old flats have this problem, but in the other rooms, for example, the noise is almost undetectable.

I will try and paste youtube and souncloud links below (with the recording of the sound), hopefully the forum admins will not block it:

https://youtu.be/xO6DvBAO5dU

https://youtu.be/362EAo2cuOY

https://soundcloud.com/dan-colceriu/radiator-19-december-at-3am/s-jpPgS

Thanks,
Dan

Dan CJan 31, 2018 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1200 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Radiator pipe dilating, making noise
Post 1

Most likely air traped in the system. If you have the bleed key you can try cracking it a bit and letting the air out....If that does not help the regi needs to get the stuff fixed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR97NZdVWbY

Most likely air traped in the system. If you have the bleed key you can try cracking it a bit and letting the air out....If that does not help the regi needs to get the stuff fixed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR97NZdVWbY

V N, Jan 31, 2018 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

This happened to me when I changed flats. Could hardly sleep.

Continue to contact the regie.

i kept wriiten records of the time, the frequency, what the sound is like to show them when they come. It gave me something to do as I couldnt sleep and was recorded eveidence of the problem.

I asked someone help to write me a letter to the regie complaing of hammering sounds late at night and early hours of the morinng sometimes almost non stop during the night which prevented me from sleeping.

My regie  fed up of me  I suppose,  and now with it in writing, eventually sent the central heating company who came and l hummed and haa-ad a bit. I shoed them my records I'd wriiten down aabout the noise I think 3 people came separately...  The central heating company were half scared to do anytting (!) because now the responsibility was on them. Were worried what ever they did would affect their future relationship with the regie

in the end, half terrified it wouldnt work and it being a bit extreme, they reluctantly drilled around the pipes, ceiling and floor, so the friction of the wall, or whatever, on the pipes stopped and so did the noise.

This happened to me when I changed flats. Could hardly sleep.

Continue to contact the regie.

i kept wriiten records of the time, the frequency, what the sound is like to show them when they come. It gave me something to do as I couldnt sleep and was recorded eveidence of the problem.

I asked someone help to write me a letter to the regie complaing of hammering sounds late at night and early hours of the morinng sometimes almost non stop during the night which prevented me from sleeping.

My regie  fed up of me  I suppose,  and now with it in writing, eventually sent the central heating company who came and l hummed and haa-ad a bit. I shoed them my records I'd wriiten down aabout the noise I think 3 people came separately...  The central heating company were half scared to do anytting (!) because now the responsibility was on them. Were worried what ever they did would affect their future relationship with the regie

in the end, half terrified it wouldnt work and it being a bit extreme, they reluctantly drilled around the pipes, ceiling and floor, so the friction of the wall, or whatever, on the pipes stopped and so did the noise.

TogJay, Jan 31, 2018 @ 17:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

sorry aboiut the typos above.. hope it is clear.. keyboard playing up,.. was typing too quickly..

sorry aboiut the typos above.. hope it is clear.. keyboard playing up,.. was typing too quickly..

TogJay, Jan 31, 2018 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Very interesting. I rent an apartment from Tournier Regie at that postcode (1205) and have that exact same problem.  I have complained numerous times and a company Benoit have visited and played around with the pipes but which has done nothing.  Interested to know if more people are experiencing the same issues

Very interesting. I rent an apartment from Tournier Regie at that postcode (1205) and have that exact same problem.  I have complained numerous times and a company Benoit have visited and played around with the pipes but which has done nothing.  Interested to know if more people are experiencing the same issues

Ben W, Dec 13, 2018 @ 08:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

If they don't sort it out go to ASLOCA and ask for advice and  how to proceed. 

If they don't sort it out go to ASLOCA and ask for advice and  how to proceed. 

TogJay, Dec 13, 2018 @ 10:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Ben,

What I ended up doing eventually was going to ASLOCA. They helped me write a letter based on which I announced the Regie that on a certain date in the future I will stop paying rent to the Regie, and instead pay it to the local justice body in charge of such litigations - and that body will then need to make the Regie prove that they fixed the problem in order to receive their money. 

The minute I sent them this letter - they immediately reacted in a very different manner, the issue got escalated to a more senior guy who sent a proper company. They made a hole in the wall and realised the pipe leading to the room-radiator was touching the main vertical pipe of the building. So what they did was simply to put some rubber in between so to separate them.

Problem solved now :)

Good luck!

Hi Ben,

What I ended up doing eventually was going to ASLOCA. They helped me write a letter based on which I announced the Regie that on a certain date in the future I will stop paying rent to the Regie, and instead pay it to the local justice body in charge of such litigations - and that body will then need to make the Regie prove that they fixed the problem in order to receive their money. 

The minute I sent them this letter - they immediately reacted in a very different manner, the issue got escalated to a more senior guy who sent a proper company. They made a hole in the wall and realised the pipe leading to the room-radiator was touching the main vertical pipe of the building. So what they did was simply to put some rubber in between so to separate them.

Good luck!

Dan C, Dec 13, 2018 @ 10:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Ben,

Good luck!

Dec 13, 18 10:23

Dan’s experience proves that asking ASLOCA for advice is the simplest and quickest way to get  Régies to undertake any necessary maintenance work that is their responsibility.

Dan’s experience proves that asking ASLOCA for advice is the simplest and quickest way to get  Régies to undertake any necessary maintenance work that is their responsibility.

Ritchie, Dec 13, 2018 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1200 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form