Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Recycling plastics?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Recycling plastics?
Where do I go to recycle plastics? Our neighborhood collection facility has a bin for PET plastics, but not other kinds. I noticed that some Coops have a bin for "PE" but it seems to be mainly for milk bottles?

I'm used to being able to recycle plastic bags (like grocery bags), plastic bottles, and other types of #1 and #2 plastics (we did this all the time in the states). Are there places I can take those here?
The text you are quoting:
Where do I go to recycle plastics? Our neighborhood collection facility has a bin for PET plastics, but not other kinds. I noticed that some Coops have a bin for "PE" but it seems to be mainly for milk bottles?

I'm used to being able to recycle plastic bags (like grocery bags), plastic bottles, and other types of #1 and #2 plastics (we did this all the time in the states). Are there places I can take those here?
MarcyMar 31, 2007 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 3715 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Recycling plastics?
Post 1
not aware of whatelse you can do to recycle.....it's getting there...
not aware of whatelse you can do to recycle.....it's getting there...
Iolly, Mar 31, 2007 @ 13:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello,

Does anyone have updates on this subject? Is there any place in Geneva that collects plastic waste for recycling?

Hello,

Does anyone have updates on this subject? Is there any place in Geneva that collects plastic waste for recycling?

Rania M, Sep 20, 2017 @ 18:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I don’t have any answers for plastic items in general, but I give my clean and re-usable plastic bags to a couple of the local charity shops where material for wrapping customers’ purchases is often in short supply.

R.

I don’t have any answers for plastic items in general, but I give my clean and re-usable plastic bags to a couple of the local charity shops where material for wrapping customers’ purchases is often in short supply.

R.

Ritchie, Sep 20, 2017 @ 21:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Don't want to brag or anything [which is exactly what I am doing of course] but we here in France have HUGE bins for the collection of rubbish, including one such for all plastic waste. Bit of a schlep for yaw'll to come over the border but we accumulate our plastics in a large bag and then tip them into the container perioidically. After all, they are not heavy.

Don't want to brag or anything [which is exactly what I am doing of course] but we here in France have HUGE bins for the collection of rubbish, including one such for all plastic waste. Bit of a schlep for yaw'll to come over the border but we accumulate our plastics in a large bag and then tip them into the container perioidically. After all, they are not heavy.

sheila c, Sep 21, 2017 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Sep 21, 17 12:14

Thanks for the info, Sheila.

CH will probably introduce a similar scheme but, as you know, innovations take a little while before they become reality around here – but they do usually happen in the end.

Meantime, enjoy your trips to the plastic dump and the sunshine!

R.

Thanks for the info, Sheila.

CH will probably introduce a similar scheme but, as you know, innovations take a little while before they become reality around here – but they do usually happen in the end.

Meantime, enjoy your trips to the plastic dump and the sunshine!

R.

Ritchie, Sep 21, 2017 @ 12:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks Ritchie and Sheila for the info. I guess I will be crossing the border to dump my plastic. It seems a bit crazy in such an advanced country like Switzerland! 

Thanks Ritchie and Sheila for the info. I guess I will be crossing the border to dump my plastic. It seems a bit crazy in such an advanced country like Switzerland! 

Rania M, Sep 22, 2017 @ 11:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Sep 22, 17 11:52

Hush!  It’s a well-kept secret that CH is not an “advanced” country.

Ritchie, Sep 22, 2017 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Really had to laugh at your latest gem R!!!!

Really had to laugh at your latest gem R!!!!

sheila c, Sep 22, 2017 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Sep 22, 17 12:08

... neither a "civilized" one.

To the OP: The Canton of Geneva apparently does not recycle all plastics. PET containers are only for bottles having contained drinks, except milk; for these there are PE containers in proximity of supermarkets (I don't recall having seen these on the street). Bottles having contained shampoo, soap, detergents, or even oil or vinegar are not recyclable and must be disposed of in the normal waste.

... neither a "civilized" one.

To the OP: The Canton of Geneva apparently does not recycle all plastics. PET containers are only for bottles having contained drinks, except milk; for these there are PE containers in proximity of supermarkets (I don't recall having seen these on the street). Bottles having contained shampoo, soap, detergents, or even oil or vinegar are not recyclable and must be disposed of in the normal waste.

TheOmegaMan, Oct 7, 2017 @ 19:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Just checking to see if there are any updates applicable to this thread?

We're using an eco point to recycle anything marked PET, and our local grocery store for things like milk cartons.  What about other plastics (e.g., yogurt cups, which have the recycling symbol on them)?

Thanks for any tips!

Just checking to see if there are any updates applicable to this thread?

We're using an eco point to recycle anything marked PET, and our local grocery store for things like milk cartons.  What about other plastics (e.g., yogurt cups, which have the recycling symbol on them)?

Thanks for any tips!

Darwin Young, Apr 14, 2019 @ 21:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

This is a good video in English about recycling plastics in Switzerland:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/fre/multimedia/durabilit%C3%A9_pourquoi-les-suisses-ne-recyclent-ils-pas-plus-de-plastique-/44088114

Waste is not buried but incinerated and the energy is retrieved. Doesn't avoid air pollution, I know. And I agree it's not a good feeling to be binning packaging....

This is the website of the Confederation on all recycling in English:

https://www.bafu.admin.ch/bafu/en/home/topics/waste/guide-to-waste-a-z/plastics.html

Finally, this is a document in French about why other plastics are not recycled in Switzerland. It shows that in Germany, the yellow bags which collect composite plastics, are in fact incinerated for the most part.Composite plastic is difficult to valorise as it is tainted and not easily transformed.

http://www.swissrecycling.ch/fileadmin/rd/pdf/wertstoffe/kunststoff/20160513_FB_KST_f.pdf

Switzerland may appear as being slow on the uptake for recycling plastics but it's not necessarily true. They take longer to test new methods to see what is best in the long term.

This is a good video in English about recycling plastics in Switzerland:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/fre/multimedia/durabilit%C3%A9_pourquoi-les-suisses-ne-recyclent-ils-pas-plus-de-plastique-/44088114

Waste is not buried but incinerated and the energy is retrieved. Doesn't avoid air pollution, I know. And I agree it's not a good feeling to be binning packaging....

This is the website of the Confederation on all recycling in English:

https://www.bafu.admin.ch/bafu/en/home/topics/waste/guide-to-waste-a-z/plastics.html

Finally, this is a document in French about why other plastics are not recycled in Switzerland. It shows that in Germany, the yellow bags which collect composite plastics, are in fact incinerated for the most part.Composite plastic is difficult to valorise as it is tainted and not easily transformed.

http://www.swissrecycling.ch/fileadmin/rd/pdf/wertstoffe/kunststoff/20160513_FB_KST_f.pdf

Switzerland may appear as being slow on the uptake for recycling plastics but it's not necessarily true. They take longer to test new methods to see what is best in the long term.

Anne-Marie L, Apr 14, 2019 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Which grocery stores in Geneva will take, as the video mentioned, plastic bottles for items such as shampoo? Please advise of any specific locations. Thanks!

Which grocery stores in Geneva will take, as the video mentioned, plastic bottles for items such as shampoo? Please advise of any specific locations. Thanks!

Darwin Young, Apr 16, 2019 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

There are recycling points for plastics in these supermarkets:

Coop Bernex: https://goo.gl/maps/AZh1mrhWGd22

Migros Eaux-Vives: https://goo.gl/maps/gfren5mTP3ZvCnqV9