Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Renewing C permit after several years abroad?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Renewing C permit after several years abroad?

Hey all, 

I'm a US citizen who grew up in Geneva. I officially suspended my residency in 2018 and I'm about to renew it as my deadline is coming up soon. 

I'm looking for some information from anyone who's done this before. Did you need to submit anything more than just the renewal request? Proof of employment, or a letter or anything? I found information for the canton de Vaud but nothing specific for Geneva. 

I'm going to contact the OCPM shortly but I'd also be grateful for any feedback from someone who's done it, especially if you happen to have built t of things personally and professionally abroad and don't necessarily want to give it all up by legally returning to Switzerland...

thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hey all, 

I'm a US citizen who grew up in Geneva. I officially suspended my residency in 2018 and I'm about to renew it as my deadline is coming up soon. 

I'm looking for some information from anyone who's done this before. Did you need to submit anything more than just the renewal request? Proof of employment, or a letter or anything? I found information for the canton de Vaud but nothing specific for Geneva. 

I'm going to contact the OCPM shortly but I'd also be grateful for any feedback from someone who's done it, especially if you happen to have built t of things personally and professionally abroad and don't necessarily want to give it all up by legally returning to Switzerland...

thanks!

Rebecca ZJul 25, 2022 @ 23:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 725 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Renewing C permit after several years abroad?
Post 1

Hi,

I am led to believe that if you officially "suspend" your C permit when moving abroad, its a simple process to get it back once you return as long as it is within the 4 year limitation period.

If you didn't suspend the permit (ie inform the OCP in writing 30 days before leaving that you plan to return and wish only to suspend the permit)  the permit is void once you leave and you have to start the application process from scratch, with all the hurdles that come with it.

In cases where you have held a C permit for 10 years or more prior to departure then you would probably get the C permit back after 2 years on a B permit.

As a US citizen things may be different though, as the above applies to EU citizens, so you'll need to ask the OCP when you call in. Good luck!

Hi,

I am led to believe that if you officially "suspend" your C permit when moving abroad, its a simple process to get it back once you return as long as it is within the 4 year limitation period.

If you didn't suspend the permit (ie inform the OCP in writing 30 days before leaving that you plan to return and wish only to suspend the permit)  the permit is void once you leave and you have to start the application process from scratch, with all the hurdles that come with it.

In cases where you have held a C permit for 10 years or more prior to departure then you would probably get the C permit back after 2 years on a B permit.

As a US citizen things may be different though, as the above applies to EU citizens, so you'll need to ask the OCP when you call in. Good luck!

Charlie, Jul 26, 2022 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi everyone, 

For the sake of clarity, I would like to know that with Swiss permit B, if one does not stay in the country for 90 consecutive days during the fiscal/tax year, is it still mandatory to submit an income tax return? 

Most grateful for enlightening me on this. Many thanks and warm regards. Aamir 

Hi everyone, 

For the sake of clarity, I would like to know that with Swiss permit B, if one does not stay in the country for 90 consecutive days during the fiscal/tax year, is it still mandatory to submit an income tax return? 

Aamir Saeed, Jul 28, 2022 @ 10:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi everyone, 

Jul 28, 22 10:54

Aamir,

As I understand it, ALL B permit holders (new and old) are required to submit a tax return if your earn over CHF120'000 in one fiscal year

If you have a secondary income, over about CHF2'500 you're also required to submit a tax return, or if your global wealth exceeds around CHF 200'000. (The thresholds vary between Cantons.)

You don't need to submit a return if your earn less than CHF120'000, unless of course you wish to claim rebates, for example contributions to your pillar 3 pension.

An individual establishes a tax residence (place of abode), irrespective of short interruptions, if a stay of a minimum of 30 days is combined with a gainful activity, or without such activity if the stay lasts a minimum of 90 days.

I may be wrong, but in any case, its probably best to check with your trusted advisor.

Aamir,

As I understand it, ALL B permit holders (new and old) are required to submit a tax return if your earn over CHF120'000 in one fiscal year

If you have a secondary income, over about CHF2'500 you're also required to submit a tax return, or if your global wealth exceeds around CHF 200'000. (The thresholds vary between Cantons.)

You don't need to submit a return if your earn less than CHF120'000, unless of course you wish to claim rebates, for example contributions to your pillar 3 pension.

An individual establishes a tax residence (place of abode), irrespective of short interruptions, if a stay of a minimum of 30 days is combined with a gainful activity, or without such activity if the stay lasts a minimum of 90 days.

I may be wrong, but in any case, its probably best to check with your trusted advisor.

Charlie, Jul 28, 2022 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Charlie, 

I appreciate your response and guidance. You are doing a great service to the community and creating a positive footprint. Blessings to you! Many thanks. 

Best,

Aamir. 

Hi Charlie, 

I appreciate your response and guidance. You are doing a great service to the community and creating a positive footprint. Blessings to you! Many thanks. 

Best,

Aamir. 

Aamir Saeed, Jul 29, 2022 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 725 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form