Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > "Seeking Advice on Choosing Between Geneva and Annemasse for Residency: Work, Safety, Tax, and Health Considerations

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
"Seeking Advice on Choosing Between Geneva and Annemasse for Residency: Work, Safety, Tax, and Health Considerations

Dear All,

I'm seeking some quick advice regarding choosing between staying in Geneva or Annemasse. I'll be working in Geneva, originally from South India. I mostly work from home, with just two days requiring me to be in the Geneva office. My initial attempts to find rental housing in Geneva have been extremely challenging. I've been considering the option of moving to Annemasse, as the transportation between the two cities seems convenient for daily commuting. Safety is a priority for me, and I'm not much of a party person; I prefer a quiet environment where I can work, read at home, and occasionally explore places farther than just the local area.

I would greatly appreciate your insights and recommendations on this matter. Specifically, I'm curious about the following:

Suitability of Annemasse: Is Annemasse a good place to reside given my preferences for a quiet and safe environment?

Tax Implications: As I'm currently tax-exempt, I'd like to know if I would need to pay any taxes in Annemasse, and if so, what percentage should I anticipate?

Health Facilities and Insurance: How are the health facilities in the region, and what are the insurance options available for someone in my situation?

Thank you so much for your input. I'm eager to hear your thoughts, as this decision will significantly impact my upcoming move.

Warm regards.

The text you are quoting:

Dear All,

I'm seeking some quick advice regarding choosing between staying in Geneva or Annemasse. I'll be working in Geneva, originally from South India. I mostly work from home, with just two days requiring me to be in the Geneva office. My initial attempts to find rental housing in Geneva have been extremely challenging. I've been considering the option of moving to Annemasse, as the transportation between the two cities seems convenient for daily commuting. Safety is a priority for me, and I'm not much of a party person; I prefer a quiet environment where I can work, read at home, and occasionally explore places farther than just the local area.

I would greatly appreciate your insights and recommendations on this matter. Specifically, I'm curious about the following:

Suitability of Annemasse: Is Annemasse a good place to reside given my preferences for a quiet and safe environment?

Tax Implications: As I'm currently tax-exempt, I'd like to know if I would need to pay any taxes in Annemasse, and if so, what percentage should I anticipate?

Health Facilities and Insurance: How are the health facilities in the region, and what are the insurance options available for someone in my situation?

Thank you so much for your input. I'm eager to hear your thoughts, as this decision will significantly impact my upcoming move.

Warm regards.

ashok danavathAug 10, 2023 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 695 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: "Seeking Advice on Choosing Between Geneva and Annemasse for Residency: Work, Safety, Tax, and Health Considerations
Post 1

Hi Ashok,

I moved here for work in April and have been living in Annemasse for four months now. Annemasse doesn't have a great reputation however I found that it isn't so bad at all and the accomodation costs are much lower than in Geneva. There are quieter and less quiet parts of Annemasse, but overall it's quite okay.However, if you choose to reside in France you will be subjected to the "frontalier" regime and since not long ago this means that only two days working from home are allowed if you want to keep being taxed in Switzerland only. Not sure what you mean by tax-exempt though, if your contract is a Swiss one you will be taxed in the canton of your employment. As a frontalier regarding your health insurance you will be give a choice of taking a Swiss or a French insurer. If you take a Swiss company, you will still be required to enrol in the French system though (don't ask me why) but you will be paying the premiums to the Swiss insurer. 

Hope this helps 

Hi Ashok,

I moved here for work in April and have been living in Annemasse for four months now. Annemasse doesn't have a great reputation however I found that it isn't so bad at all and the accomodation costs are much lower than in Geneva. There are quieter and less quiet parts of Annemasse, but overall it's quite okay.However, if you choose to reside in France you will be subjected to the "frontalier" regime and since not long ago this means that only two days working from home are allowed if you want to keep being taxed in Switzerland only. Not sure what you mean by tax-exempt though, if your contract is a Swiss one you will be taxed in the canton of your employment. As a frontalier regarding your health insurance you will be give a choice of taking a Swiss or a French insurer. If you take a Swiss company, you will still be required to enrol in the French system though (don't ask me why) but you will be paying the premiums to the Swiss insurer. 

Hope this helps 

Igor Sundic, Aug 10, 2023 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: "Seeking Advice on Choosing Between Geneva and Annemasse for Residency: Work, Safety, Tax, and Health Considerations
Post 2

Hi Ashok,

Lived for a decade in Geneva and moved to Annemasse region a couple of years ago. I do not regret it.

Some of the pro’s: Even though I was warned that “nothing works in France”, I have been amazed that I could set up my electricity, water service, internet, etc online and very efficiently. Mobile phone plans cost a fraction than in Switzerland, and come by default with free roaming in Europe. Cost of living overall is cheaper, not to mention the availability of the whole European market for online shopping. The cost of medicine in pharmacies is sometimes 4 to 6 times cheaper than in Geneva. If you are a non-EU citizen, you also get the benefit of having a residency card for France (EU), whereas in Switzerland if you work for International Organizations, we practically do not exist and we are forced to leave immediately upon quitting or losing our job. Tax wise, you have to declare, but the tax exemption still applies.

A major advantage is not having to deal with the nasty mafias of the régies in Geneva. I have Swiss friends from other cantons who are now in Geneva and cannot believe how corrupt the system in GVA is and how they can get away with what they do. Hit me up with a private message and we can chat more.

Hi Ashok,

Lived for a decade in Geneva and moved to Annemasse region a couple of years ago. I do not regret it.

Some of the pro’s: Even though I was warned that “nothing works in France”, I have been amazed that I could set up my electricity, water service, internet, etc online and very efficiently. Mobile phone plans cost a fraction than in Switzerland, and come by default with free roaming in Europe. Cost of living overall is cheaper, not to mention the availability of the whole European market for online shopping. The cost of medicine in pharmacies is sometimes 4 to 6 times cheaper than in Geneva. If you are a non-EU citizen, you also get the benefit of having a residency card for France (EU), whereas in Switzerland if you work for International Organizations, we practically do not exist and we are forced to leave immediately upon quitting or losing our job. Tax wise, you have to declare, but the tax exemption still applies.

A major advantage is not having to deal with the nasty mafias of the régies in Geneva. I have Swiss friends from other cantons who are now in Geneva and cannot believe how corrupt the system in GVA is and how they can get away with what they do. Hit me up with a private message and we can chat more.

xaviero, Aug 15, 2023 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 695 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form