Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Shipping box in France?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Shipping box in France?

I often order things online, and many international shippers will not send to Switzerland. A friend of mine lives in Basel, and he has uses a service where he drives across the border and there is a company that he can ship to and then pick up from. They are a bit like a post office, and there is a small charge for this.

Does anyone know of such a service near Geneve, in France?

The text you are quoting:

I often order things online, and many international shippers will not send to Switzerland. A friend of mine lives in Basel, and he has uses a service where he drives across the border and there is a company that he can ship to and then pick up from. They are a bit like a post office, and there is a small charge for this.

Does anyone know of such a service near Geneve, in France?

Sean CApr 29, 2018 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

19 Replies | 12373 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Shipping box in France?
Post 1

Great idea, thanks a lot!

Great idea, thanks a lot!

Sean C, Apr 29, 2018 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi,

I was wondering how your search went. What is the address that I can use to have my parcel shipped to the post office in Ferney Voltaire?

Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering how your search went. What is the address that I can use to have my parcel shipped to the post office in Ferney Voltaire?

Thanks!

klaba, May 4, 2018 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Contact MBE (Mail Boxes Etcetera) in Ferney Voltaire. It is about two hundred meters from the last stop of the F bus and from the Ferney post office.

https://www.mbefrance.fr/fr/envoi/ferney_voltaire/2535

It works with UPS, Fedex, DHL and has mailboxes for rent (boîtes aux lettres), where you can receive mail or packets.

https://www.mbefrance.fr/fr/domiciliation-et-location-de-bo%C3%AEtes-aux-lettres

Contact MBE (Mail Boxes Etcetera) in Ferney Voltaire. It is about two hundred meters from the last stop of the F bus and from the Ferney post office.

It works with UPS, Fedex, DHL and has mailboxes for rent (boîtes aux lettres), where you can receive mail or packets.

https://www.mbefrance.fr/fr/domiciliation-et-location-de-bo%C3%AEtes-aux-lettres

JR M, May 4, 2018 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi all,

In case you are interested, I just an answer how to do it with the Post Office in France - I went there and asked in person :)

As a shipping address, write on your orders:

Your full name

Poste Restante Ferney Voltaire

France

This will automatically goes to the main post office in F.V. You will not receive a notification from the post office, however, you usually get a notification from the online shop. Keep the tracking number.

They will keep your parcel for 10 days, after which it is sent back to the sender.

When you come to collect, you will need your ID, tracking number and they charge 4 EUR.

I hope this helps, I will try next week!

Hi all,

In case you are interested, I just an answer how to do it with the Post Office in France - I went there and asked in person :)

Your full name

France

This will automatically goes to the main post office in F.V. You will not receive a notification from the post office, however, you usually get a notification from the online shop. Keep the tracking number.

They will keep your parcel for 10 days, after which it is sent back to the sender.

When you come to collect, you will need your ID, tracking number and they charge 4 EUR.

klaba, May 7, 2018 @ 09:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi all,

Your full name

France

May 7, 18 09:41

Awesome, thank you so much for looking into that and then advising us all!

Have a great day,
Sean

Awesome, thank you so much for looking into that and then advising us all!

Have a great day,
Sean

Sean C, May 7, 2018 @ 09:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

For anyone trying from Amazon, you will need to provide the actual address:

1 Avenue Voltaire

For anyone trying from Amazon, you will need to provide the actual address:

1 Avenue Voltaire

Sean C, Aug 1, 2019 @ 14:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Not sure if it helps, but when ordering from Amazon, there are multiple points relais available. It is free of charge, they will only want your ID document when collecting. There is probably 20 or 30 just in Gaillard, Annemasse, including collection point at La Poste - I guess same on each side of the border. 

Not sure if it helps, but when ordering from Amazon, there are multiple points relais available. It is free of charge, they will only want your ID document when collecting. There is probably 20 or 30 just in Gaillard, Annemasse, including collection point at La Poste - I guess same on each side of the border. 

Hubs S, Aug 5, 2019 @ 20:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Hubs, that's really awesome and useful information. Thank you !

By the way, I just picked up by first package from Ferney-Voltaire post office, sent via post restante. They just asked for the tracking number and charged me eur4.95.

In future: for Amazon I will look into the points relais, and for ebay etc I will go for poste restante.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but aside from additional import taxes, many senders are now refusing to ship to Switzerland anymore. I don't know why this is, but it is pretty annoying!

So to ship to the Ferney-Voltaire post office:

Your full name

1 Avenue Voltaire

France

Hi Hubs, that's really awesome and useful information. Thank you !

By the way, I just picked up by first package from Ferney-Voltaire post office, sent via post restante. They just asked for the tracking number and charged me eur4.95.

In future: for Amazon I will look into the points relais, and for ebay etc I will go for poste restante.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but aside from additional import taxes, many senders are now refusing to ship to Switzerland anymore. I don't know why this is, but it is pretty annoying!

So to ship to the Ferney-Voltaire post office:

Your full name

1 Avenue Voltaire

France

Sean C, Aug 6, 2019 @ 11:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks so much for the info. Does anyone know if the post office will acept parcels from UPS and DHL?

Im ordering something from Etsy, from Turkey. but its delivered via UPS or DHL. I can asked that the parcel requires no signature.

thanks!

Thanks so much for the info. Does anyone know if the post office will acept parcels from UPS and DHL?

Im ordering something from Etsy, from Turkey. but its delivered via UPS or DHL. I can asked that the parcel requires no signature.

thanks!

Kelly Jaquet, Sep 3, 2019 @ 18:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi all,

does anyone know if 'poste restante' works with other courriers? I am wainting to order something from a supplier in Turkey (via Etsy) and have it delivered to the post office in Divonne. but the parcel will be sent via DHL or UPS. I rad somewhere that the post office will not sign for parcels. but sure i can ask the sender to remove 'sigature with receipt' surely?

has anyone done this?

thanks!

Hi all,

does anyone know if 'poste restante' works with other courriers? I am wainting to order something from a supplier in Turkey (via Etsy) and have it delivered to the post office in Divonne. but the parcel will be sent via DHL or UPS. I rad somewhere that the post office will not sign for parcels. but sure i can ask the sender to remove 'sigature with receipt' surely?

has anyone done this?

thanks!

Kelly Jaquet, Sep 3, 2019 @ 18:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi-

No DHL or UPS will be accepted unfortunately.

Onlu if delivered via Colissimo or Chronopost (French carriers - but they may have other intermediary counterparts in the country of origin).

Hi-

No DHL or UPS will be accepted unfortunately.

Onlu if delivered via Colissimo or Chronopost (French carriers - but they may have other intermediary counterparts in the country of origin).

klaba, Sep 3, 2019 @ 18:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I ordered 2 items from Amazon to the Ferney Post office. One was recieved and the other refused and returned, and I could could not find out why. I had provided exactly the same address details.

Needless to say, I won't be going for it again. There are apparently Amazon pickup boxes in France, so I might give that a go.

The best option to is to ship to a friend, but if it something big, then they will need to pick it up from the post office, which kind of makes it a bigger favour.

Since the new import tax on goods coming into Switzerland (January 2019), many shippers on Amazon or eBay are refusing to ship to Switzerland. I don't know if it is just the tax or some other issue (additional paperwork maybe?)

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/online-shopping_vat-on-online-purchases-from-abroad-from-2019/44327714

I ordered 2 items from Amazon to the Ferney Post office. One was recieved and the other refused and returned, and I could could not find out why. I had provided exactly the same address details.

Needless to say, I won't be going for it again. There are apparently Amazon pickup boxes in France, so I might give that a go.

The best option to is to ship to a friend, but if it something big, then they will need to pick it up from the post office, which kind of makes it a bigger favour.

Since the new import tax on goods coming into Switzerland (January 2019), many shippers on Amazon or eBay are refusing to ship to Switzerland. I don't know if it is just the tax or some other issue (additional paperwork maybe?)

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/online-shopping_vat-on-online-purchases-from-abroad-from-2019/44327714

Sean C, Sep 3, 2019 @ 19:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi all. I just ordered an item from France and had it delivered to the Ferney Post via Chronopost. It worked without a hitch. Three days after ordering, the package arrived at the Ferney Post. Chronopost sent me an email with my tracking info and informing me that I have 15 days to collect the package at the post. All I had to do was go with my tracking information and an id. Someone else can pick it up for you but they need your id, their id and a letter from you giving the person authority to pick up the package. There were three employees at the Post retrieving packages, i literally waited less than 5 minutes. The cost was 4.50 euros, well worth the service, in my opinion. I’ll deliver this way again, although based on some of the reviews, I likely wouldn’t have a package from Amazon delivered there. Hope this helps!

Hi all. I just ordered an item from France and had it delivered to the Ferney Post via Chronopost. It worked without a hitch. Three days after ordering, the package arrived at the Ferney Post. Chronopost sent me an email with my tracking info and informing me that I have 15 days to collect the package at the post. All I had to do was go with my tracking information and an id. Someone else can pick it up for you but they need your id, their id and a letter from you giving the person authority to pick up the package. There were three employees at the Post retrieving packages, i literally waited less than 5 minutes. The cost was 4.50 euros, well worth the service, in my opinion. I’ll deliver this way again, although based on some of the reviews, I likely wouldn’t have a package from Amazon delivered there. Hope this helps!

Adela Carrasco, Oct 4, 2019 @ 17:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Hello, I also used Poste Restante in Ferney-Voltaire, but they are now rejecting the package if is coming from UPS or DHL.

Especially when buying from Amazon, I'm not forced to ask in advance to the vendor which shipping company will be used, and it's quite annoying if you are a hard-core online buyer!

If you find some real good solution I'm happy to know, thanks!

Hello, I also used Poste Restante in Ferney-Voltaire, but they are now rejecting the package if is coming from UPS or DHL.

Especially when buying from Amazon, I'm not forced to ask in advance to the vendor which shipping company will be used, and it's quite annoying if you are a hard-core online buyer!

If you find some real good solution I'm happy to know, thanks!

Mauro T, Oct 7, 2019 @ 13:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I had 1 success and 1 failure with poste restante ... with no explanations why.

I wil try the Amazon pickup boxes next. If anyone has tried them please let us all know!

I had 1 success and 1 failure with poste restante ... with no explanations why.

I wil try the Amazon pickup boxes next. If anyone has tried them please let us all know!

Sean C, Oct 7, 2019 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I received a package from Italy sent with a private shipping company and they rejected. The result is that I had to pay again 85 euro.

Happy to listen for working alternatives!

I received a package from Italy sent with a private shipping company and they rejected. The result is that I had to pay again 85 euro.

Happy to listen for working alternatives!

Mauro T, Oct 7, 2019 @ 21:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

My experience with shipping to France.  I live in geneva, but have a second home in france.

UPS, avoid at all cost, even if a parcel does not require a signature, they will often not leave it.   They do not respect re delivery times.   We ask them to redeliver on saturday ... they agree ... and show up on Monday.

DHL.  Generally good .. they will even sometimes leave a package requiring signature without one.

Chronopost/ Colliposte - best bet.  Will always leave a package that does not require a sgnature.  If it does, they leave a delivery notice and we pick it up at the post office with no fee.

GLS.  Limited experience, but has always been positive.

I have also been very happy with point de relais

Lastly, DHL and UPS, If you get through to them will let you pick up non delivered packages at their depot

I have done this a number of times - it requires a bit of persistence and a knowledge of french

Good luck

My experience with shipping to France.  I live in geneva, but have a second home in france.

UPS, avoid at all cost, even if a parcel does not require a signature, they will often not leave it.   They do not respect re delivery times.   We ask them to redeliver on saturday ... they agree ... and show up on Monday.

DHL.  Generally good .. they will even sometimes leave a package requiring signature without one.

Chronopost/ Colliposte - best bet.  Will always leave a package that does not require a sgnature.  If it does, they leave a delivery notice and we pick it up at the post office with no fee.

GLS.  Limited experience, but has always been positive.

I have also been very happy with point de relais

Lastly, DHL and UPS, If you get through to them will let you pick up non delivered packages at their depot

I have done this a number of times - it requires a bit of persistence and a knowledge of french

Good luck

m petersen, Oct 9, 2019 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Dear all, 

I hope this thread can be of help. 

Does this method still work? And if so, what are the correct steps to deliver to the Post offices in France? 

The customs charges in Switzerland are quite pricey! 

Many thanks for the advice in advance. 

Kind regards,

Emily 

Dear all, 

I hope this thread can be of help. 

Does this method still work? And if so, what are the correct steps to deliver to the Post offices in France? 

The customs charges in Switzerland are quite pricey! 

Many thanks for the advice in advance. 

Kind regards,

Emily 

Emily H, Sep 26, 2020 @ 20:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

People seem to have mixed experiences with the French postal service for this particular purpose.

I would strongly encourage you to check out MBE (Mail Boxes Etcetera) in Ferney Voltaire. It is about two hundred meters from the last stop of the F bus and from the Ferney post office.

It works with UPS, Fedex, DHL and, additionally, it has mailboxes for rent (boîtes aux lettres), where you can receive mail or packets. If you rent a mailbox, you can receive packages sent through any service.

I have used them for several years without a hitch.

People seem to have mixed experiences with the French postal service for this particular purpose.

I would strongly encourage you to check out MBE (Mail Boxes Etcetera) in Ferney Voltaire. It is about two hundred meters from the last stop of the F bus and from the Ferney post office.

It works with UPS, Fedex, DHL and, additionally, it has mailboxes for rent (boîtes aux lettres), where you can receive mail or packets. If you rent a mailbox, you can receive packages sent through any service.

I have used them for several years without a hitch.

JR M, Sep 26, 2020 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
19 Replies | 12373 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form