Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Swiss Tax number for legitimation card holder?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swiss Tax number for legitimation card holder?

Hallo everyone, 

I recently moved to Geneva to work for the UN and I was issued with a legitimation card with category D. I am originally from the UK and I am married to an Australian citizen. 

We want to open up a savings account in Australia and in the past this was never an issue as I had my UK National Insurence/Tax number which allowed me to open up an account as a non-resident. The basically ask you for your foreign tax number. 

I understand that in Switzerland there is something similar called AHV number which acts as your foreign tax number. I understand that one would get that number via the Swiss emplyoer and or the health insurence. 

I am also aware that working and living now in Geneva I am a Swiss tax resident. I don't pay income tax but I am still subject to other taxes (such as tax on interests or dividents). 

Going back to my initial problem: As far as I can tell I dont have a Swiss tax number and it also seems that working for the UN you are not suppose to get one.

At the same time I am not 100% sure if I am allowed to use my UK tax number to open up an Australian savings account, as I am not a UK tax resident anymore? 

I know tax questions are always boring but maybe there is someone out there with a similar problem or there is an easy solution to this. 

Many thanks in advance to everyone. 

Cey 

The text you are quoting:

Hallo everyone, 

I recently moved to Geneva to work for the UN and I was issued with a legitimation card with category D. I am originally from the UK and I am married to an Australian citizen. 

We want to open up a savings account in Australia and in the past this was never an issue as I had my UK National Insurence/Tax number which allowed me to open up an account as a non-resident. The basically ask you for your foreign tax number. 

I understand that in Switzerland there is something similar called AHV number which acts as your foreign tax number. I understand that one would get that number via the Swiss emplyoer and or the health insurence. 

I am also aware that working and living now in Geneva I am a Swiss tax resident. I don't pay income tax but I am still subject to other taxes (such as tax on interests or dividents). 

Going back to my initial problem: As far as I can tell I dont have a Swiss tax number and it also seems that working for the UN you are not suppose to get one.

At the same time I am not 100% sure if I am allowed to use my UK tax number to open up an Australian savings account, as I am not a UK tax resident anymore? 

I know tax questions are always boring but maybe there is someone out there with a similar problem or there is an easy solution to this. 

Cey 

Ceyhun GNov 28, 2019 @ 16:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 794 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: Swiss Tax number for legitimation card holder?
Post 1

Hallo everyone, 

Cey 

Nov 28, 19 16:41

First of all, welcome to glocals and Geneva.

While I have no personal experience of the issue you mention, I would however suggest that your wife visits the Australian Consulate General at the offices of the Australian Diplomatic Mission to the United Nations and ask for their advice, since there must be others in Geneva who have had the same “problem”.

I hope this helps and send best wishes, Ritchie

PS:

I have also sent a p.m. to your Inbox.

The text you are quoting:

First of all, welcome to glocals and Geneva.

While I have no personal experience of the issue you mention, I would however suggest that your wife visits the Australian Consulate General at the offices of the Australian Diplomatic Mission to the United Nations and ask for their advice, since there must be others in Geneva who have had the same “problem”.

I hope this helps and send best wishes, Ritchie

PS:

I have also sent a p.m. to your Inbox.

Ritchie, Nov 29, 2019 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 794 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form