Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Switching from Tourist visa or regroupement familial to Student Visa

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Switching from Tourist visa or regroupement familial to Student Visa

Hello all,

My question: has anyone successfully applied for a Student Visa (Visa D), inside Geneva, from a tourist visa or regroupement familial?

To explain my case:

I am a non-EU married to a non-EU. 

Long story short, I came to Switzerland (where I lived before), on a tourist visa. My wife has a B permit pour formation.

Shortly before my tourist visa expired, I applied for a regroupement familial, early June. The authorities said it can take 4 to 6 months, because I applied directly from Geneva, so for them, it is not a priority.

So right now, my permit is only the attestation that I have applied for the RF

Meanwhile, I have been accepted in a PhD, and I could work in Geneva or in the another canton. However, this other canton has said that, because I still don't have a permit, only an attestation, they will deny my permis de sejour request. I would need to go back to my country to ask for a Visa D.

I am thinking on asking Geneva if I can apply from inside. However, I am afraid they might say no or it might take a while and I could lose the Phd. 

This is why I am interesting in learning if someone has been in a similar situation

The text you are quoting:

Hello all,

My question: has anyone successfully applied for a Student Visa (Visa D), inside Geneva, from a tourist visa or regroupement familial?

To explain my case:

I am a non-EU married to a non-EU. 

Long story short, I came to Switzerland (where I lived before), on a tourist visa. My wife has a B permit pour formation.

Shortly before my tourist visa expired, I applied for a regroupement familial, early June. The authorities said it can take 4 to 6 months, because I applied directly from Geneva, so for them, it is not a priority.

So right now, my permit is only the attestation that I have applied for the RF

Meanwhile, I have been accepted in a PhD, and I could work in Geneva or in the another canton. However, this other canton has said that, because I still don't have a permit, only an attestation, they will deny my permis de sejour request. I would need to go back to my country to ask for a Visa D.

I am thinking on asking Geneva if I can apply from inside. However, I am afraid they might say no or it might take a while and I could lose the Phd. 

This is why I am interesting in learning if someone has been in a similar situation

André SAug 9, 2018 @ 22:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

0 Replies | 58 Views      |  Send to friend

No replies posted yet.
0 Replies | 58 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form