Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Tax Advisors for US citizens?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Tax Advisors for US citizens?

I am a US citizen. The tax filing deadline is April 18 (not later, since I made income in the US for some months in 2016, so I think the regular deadline applies for me). Given the intricacies of US tax law for someone with a foreign bank account, money earned overseas, and some money earned in the US, with no exclusion from the healthcare tax (I wasn't overseas for 330 days of 2016), I will need some help filing taxes, I think.

Any advice on tax advisors who are reliable and affordable in Geneva? 

Any help or leads appreciated. I found some via Google but I'm not sure how trustworthy they are.

The text you are quoting:

I am a US citizen. The tax filing deadline is April 18 (not later, since I made income in the US for some months in 2016, so I think the regular deadline applies for me). Given the intricacies of US tax law for someone with a foreign bank account, money earned overseas, and some money earned in the US, with no exclusion from the healthcare tax (I wasn't overseas for 330 days of 2016), I will need some help filing taxes, I think.

Any advice on tax advisors who are reliable and affordable in Geneva? 

Any help or leads appreciated. I found some via Google but I'm not sure how trustworthy they are.

Justin CMar 6, 2017 @ 20:27
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 2207 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Tax Advisors for US citizens?
Post 1

I've used Price Waterhouse Coopers for the past 12 years. Very satisfied with them. 

I've used Price Waterhouse Coopers for the past 12 years. Very satisfied with them. 

intlrep1, Mar 7, 2017 @ 08:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I can refer you to a CPA firm stateside - fee is 1000 USD though. I used them my first year here as I was in a similar situation as you with income on both countries. thry took care of both state and federal and all the banking documents. Filed to the IRS with a cover letter stating it was done by the firm.

let me know if you're interested. 

I can refer you to a CPA firm stateside - fee is 1000 USD though. I used them my first year here as I was in a similar situation as you with income on both countries. thry took care of both state and federal and all the banking documents. Filed to the IRS with a cover letter stating it was done by the firm.

let me know if you're interested. 

CH K, Mar 9, 2017 @ 11:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

https://www.tax-pro.ch

Giorgio M, Mar 9, 2017 @ 18:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I don't have investments or other such (not a wealthy person at all), so I'd be looking for a tax advisor that deals more with recent grads, etc...PwC is probably way above my pay grade for the foreseeable future...

Thanks for the link to tax-pro.ch. I'll contact them and see what their prices are.

I don't have investments or other such (not a wealthy person at all), so I'd be looking for a tax advisor that deals more with recent grads, etc...PwC is probably way above my pay grade for the foreseeable future...

Thanks for the link to tax-pro.ch. I'll contact them and see what their prices are.

Justin C, Mar 9, 2017 @ 21:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Mar 9, 17 18:53

I checked out the site; their rates are a bit too high (in the thousands). I'm looking for rates closet to the hundreds at most.

I checked out the site; their rates are a bit too high (in the thousands). I'm looking for rates closet to the hundreds at most.

Justin C, Mar 10, 2017 @ 20:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

FYI -the extension is if you are outside the US on filing day, so as long as  you are not in the US on April 18 you get the 2 month extension. HOWEVER, you still have to PAY on April 18. If you don't have a lot of investments, deductions, etc... TurboTax can work just fine. but read Publication 54 cover to cover. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf 

I think H&R Block has something tailored for expats. 

FYI -the extension is if you are outside the US on filing day, so as long as  you are not in the US on April 18 you get the 2 month extension. HOWEVER, you still have to PAY on April 18. If you don't have a lot of investments, deductions, etc... TurboTax can work just fine. but read Publication 54 cover to cover. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf 

I think H&R Block has something tailored for expats. 

mbgoldst, Mar 11, 2017 @ 23:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Just submitted our taxes via TurboTax.  The tool combined with some reading of a few details on the IRS site should be enough unless you have a complex investment/financial situation. $50 and a few hours of your time.

Just submitted our taxes via TurboTax.  The tool combined with some reading of a few details on the IRS site should be enough unless you have a complex investment/financial situation. $50 and a few hours of your time.

Steve Bassler, Mar 13, 2017 @ 09:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I take it by "tool" you mean the program, and not filing online via the TurboTax website?

I checked out filing for a foreign income exclusion on TurboTax today and found that they didn't have something allowing partial income exclusions (i.e. if I was overseas for part of the tax year last year but not all of it). So I think I will ultimately have to look at options other than TurboTax to sort out the intricacies of the foreign income exclusion. =(

I take it by "tool" you mean the program, and not filing online via the TurboTax website?

I checked out filing for a foreign income exclusion on TurboTax today and found that they didn't have something allowing partial income exclusions (i.e. if I was overseas for part of the tax year last year but not all of it). So I think I will ultimately have to look at options other than TurboTax to sort out the intricacies of the foreign income exclusion. =(

Justin C, Mar 14, 2017 @ 22:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I used this company twice...  Was happy with them:

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com

I used this company twice...  Was happy with them:

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com

richardm, Mar 24, 2017 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Recommend Margaret Conklin. Professional, personable & accessible.

www.mconklincpa.com

Recommend Margaret Conklin. Professional, personable & accessible.

www.mconklincpa.com

Sanna Zikry, Apr 5, 2017 @ 22:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I'll recommend Taxes For Expats  -- www.taxesforexpats.com.

I'll recommend Taxes For Expats  -- www.taxesforexpats.com.

Lusine Kane, Jun 26, 2019 @ 18:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 2207 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form