Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Temporary Internet Options

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Temporary Internet Options

Hi,

I've just arranged for a flat but there's no internet.  Not sure how long I'll be here - 6 weeks to 6 months maybe, but certainly not interested in a one to two contract.

Can anyone suggest options for short term?  Currently I still have just my US phone number that allows texting and data. 

Thoughts???  Someone mentioned maybe a type of mobile device through SALT?? There's no TV in my flat which is fine but I do need Wifi.

Thanks for your input!  

Donna

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I've just arranged for a flat but there's no internet.  Not sure how long I'll be here - 6 weeks to 6 months maybe, but certainly not interested in a one to two contract.

Can anyone suggest options for short term?  Currently I still have just my US phone number that allows texting and data. 

Thoughts???  Someone mentioned maybe a type of mobile device through SALT?? There's no TV in my flat which is fine but I do need Wifi.

Thanks for your input!  

Donna

Donna BollingerJan 4, 2022 @ 22:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1074 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Temporary Internet Options
Post 1

Hi Donna

If your apartment block is serviced by Cablecom, and you can watch TV, there there is likely an internet connection in it and you should already have a limited 2MB/s internet connection included - typically this connection point is paid by you as the 'nebenkosten' part of your rent.Or at least thats how it works where I live.

When I switched ISPs to get gigabit fiber, Cablecom told me to keep my modem because I get this with the service costs to the connection in my apartment...so should I ditch the fiber, I would still have internet. If that is also true in your block, all you need is a modem. The connector looks like this : https://www.upc.ch/en/support/cable-connection/

I hope this help.

Best,

E

Hi Donna

If your apartment block is serviced by Cablecom, and you can watch TV, there there is likely an internet connection in it and you should already have a limited 2MB/s internet connection included - typically this connection point is paid by you as the 'nebenkosten' part of your rent.Or at least thats how it works where I live.

When I switched ISPs to get gigabit fiber, Cablecom told me to keep my modem because I get this with the service costs to the connection in my apartment...so should I ditch the fiber, I would still have internet. If that is also true in your block, all you need is a modem. The connector looks like this : https://www.upc.ch/en/support/cable-connection/

I hope this help.

Best,

E

Eugene_G, Jan 9, 2022 @ 13:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

If you have a smarphone with an unlimited data subscription, you can connect with an usb cable to your computer and use it as a modem.

If you have a smarphone with an unlimited data subscription, you can connect with an usb cable to your computer and use it as a modem.

Philippe D, Jan 9, 2022 @ 17:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

For flexibility and value for money, something like the below is great, its basically a mobile network receiver with a sim card but it has a router bult in so you can use it to connect all the appliances in your home. No wiring, pretty much zero installation, you just put the sim card in it and plug it into the power. The one i found is for yallo which if i remember correctly uses the sunrise network, you can check your connection speed on their website. Its using the mobile network so its a bit less zippy than a fibre optic connection but entirely usable, and its completely flexible with no minimum contract so i think it ticks all your boxes ;)

https://www.yallo.ch/en/home-internet-offer

For flexibility and value for money, something like the below is great, its basically a mobile network receiver with a sim card but it has a router bult in so you can use it to connect all the appliances in your home. No wiring, pretty much zero installation, you just put the sim card in it and plug it into the power. The one i found is for yallo which if i remember correctly uses the sunrise network, you can check your connection speed on their website. Its using the mobile network so its a bit less zippy than a fibre optic connection but entirely usable, and its completely flexible with no minimum contract so i think it ticks all your boxes ;)

https://www.yallo.ch/en/home-internet-offer

hucklewoo, Jan 10, 2022 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

What hucklewoo said is right. It's sometimes called a SIM-card hotspot or similar.

Did you sort something out?

What hucklewoo said is right. It's sometimes called a SIM-card hotspot or similar.

Did you sort something out?

Zonker, Feb 1, 2022 @ 14:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1074 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form