Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Tips for Olimpics: Accomodation in Torino and Transport

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Tips for Olimpics: Accomodation in Torino and Transport
Hello All,
many people asked me/mailed me for tips on how to find and Hotel in Torino and how to get there since I am going :)
Since Copy pasting the same email 4 times is a bit boring... here u have my best tips and reco

How to Get there:
1 - BUS I don't have a specific info for this, but I know that there are busses going from Geneva to Torino (around 6hs or more drive)
2 - Find a car ride and share the petrol, it will take u about 4hs max to get there and it will be fun!
3 - TRAIN - from Geneva the best option is taking a train to MILAN (CISALPINO is Faster and till 1month ago they had pretty good offer like Geneva-Milan for 19Euro reservation included) which will take 3:30,4 hs then 1 h local train from Milan to Torino (No worries they leave v.v.often - almost about every 20 mints) and the cost is about 8Euro no need to reserve a place

Accomodation: It was a nightmare for me to find a cheap hotel about 4 months ago, so I don't recommend to anyone to call hotels or Bed and Breakfast that u can find on the web (they are either SUPER/Over expensive or booked). U can try with the official accomodation organzing company (via www.torino2006.org) but I doubt there'll be soemthing left in town. Your best chances are to look on the italian yellow pages www.paginegialle.it
and look for a PENSIONI (or PENSIONE) in TORINO (here's the URL with the search terms http://www.paginegialle.it/pg/cgi/pgsearch.cgi?btt=1&ts=1&l=1&cb=0&ind=&nc=&qs=Pensione&dv=Torino)
They are small hotels or b&b that usually don;t take any reservation till 2/3 days before the arriving day, so u have a chance to find a place!

Not sure if they speak english. if u need some basic italian here's what u need:
Buongiorno, vorrei una camera per (1 = uno 2 = due) persone il (date).
Adn good luck with the answer!!

Val

The text you are quoting:
Hello All,
many people asked me/mailed me for tips on how to find and Hotel in Torino and how to get there since I am going :)
Since Copy pasting the same email 4 times is a bit boring... here u have my best tips and reco

How to Get there:
1 - BUS I don't have a specific info for this, but I know that there are busses going from Geneva to Torino (around 6hs or more drive)
2 - Find a car ride and share the petrol, it will take u about 4hs max to get there and it will be fun!
3 - TRAIN - from Geneva the best option is taking a train to MILAN (CISALPINO is Faster and till 1month ago they had pretty good offer like Geneva-Milan for 19Euro reservation included) which will take 3:30,4 hs then 1 h local train from Milan to Torino (No worries they leave v.v.often - almost about every 20 mints) and the cost is about 8Euro no need to reserve a place

Accomodation: It was a nightmare for me to find a cheap hotel about 4 months ago, so I don't recommend to anyone to call hotels or Bed and Breakfast that u can find on the web (they are either SUPER/Over expensive or booked). U can try with the official accomodation organzing company (via www.torino2006.org) but I doubt there'll be soemthing left in town. Your best chances are to look on the italian yellow pages www.paginegialle.it
and look for a PENSIONI (or PENSIONE) in TORINO (here's the URL with the search terms http://www.paginegialle.it/pg/cgi/pgsearch.cgi?btt=1&ts=1&l=1&cb=0&ind=&nc=&qs=Pensione&dv=Torino)
They are small hotels or b&b that usually don;t take any reservation till 2/3 days before the arriving day, so u have a chance to find a place!

Not sure if they speak english. if u need some basic italian here's what u need:
Buongiorno, vorrei una camera per (1 = uno 2 = due) persone il (date).
Adn good luck with the answer!!

Val

HoilingFeb 16, 2006 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1257 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Tips for Olimpics: Accomodation in Torino and Transport
Post 1
Some ticket are still available - check the website and get them!
Some events are not in Torino, so check the exact location before booking an hotel, u might be going 30-40 or even 50Kms away from your hotel.
Events time is pretty strickt so plan well ahed or they'll let u out.
Don't wear anything with big logos - especially hats or in indoor events they might ask u to remove it/cover it
Bring something to drink/eat the bars/relaxing point have only sponsoring food/drinks and they might be pricy

Most important of all: If u go by car check the official parkings and their locations. Lots of the street in Torino are for Public Transport/Olympic Navettes/special vehicols only. So u might get stuck in the traffic and of course Parking in the street is forbidden. So better check where is the official parking closer to the event u want to see!!

Let me know if u want more info on a specific event - having boguht the ticket in advance I already received the offical Book with THE RULES and everything u need to know about events and all the locations. More then happy to share it with u guys.

Val - GO ITALY!!!
Some ticket are still available - check the website and get them!
Some events are not in Torino, so check the exact location before booking an hotel, u might be going 30-40 or even 50Kms away from your hotel.
Events time is pretty strickt so plan well ahed or they'll let u out.
Don't wear anything with big logos - especially hats or in indoor events they might ask u to remove it/cover it
Bring something to drink/eat the bars/relaxing point have only sponsoring food/drinks and they might be pricy

Most important of all: If u go by car check the official parkings and their locations. Lots of the street in Torino are for Public Transport/Olympic Navettes/special vehicols only. So u might get stuck in the traffic and of course Parking in the street is forbidden. So better check where is the official parking closer to the event u want to see!!

Let me know if u want more info on a specific event - having boguht the ticket in advance I already received the offical Book with THE RULES and everything u need to know about events and all the locations. More then happy to share it with u guys.

Val - GO ITALY!!!
Hoiling, Feb 16, 2006 @ 15:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
The mountain events are in and around Sestriere - the Franco/Italian border. Outside of these two Olympics' weeks, it's 90 mins between the mountains and the city. From what I've gathered, due to the mandatory bus system (or cars who have already bought a parking pass), it's now taking 4 to 5 hours to travel between the city and the mountain events.

Briancon, France begins the mandatory bus system into Italy - first over the border to the mountain events, and then further on into the city. If you're really looking for a place to stay near the mountain events, you might have better chances in Briancon. We're staying in Montgenevre, France-between Briancon and Sestriere-, but it was a brutal search a year ago to find a place (and I had to force money to be no option - I was desperate after already buying the tickets on behalf of 5 family members flying in from NY.)

If you notice on tv, there are all sorts of empty seats for even the most popular events. Last time I heard, out of a million tickets, only 600,000ish were sold. When the Olympic committee selects a city, it automatically books every hotel room in that city for athletes, coaches, press, workers, etc. The reason why there are so many empty seats is that there is virtually nowhere for us out of town spectators to stay. Unfortunately, it looks like Torino ultimately bit off more than it could chew when it came to accomodating all potential spectators - dommage.

My best advice for those who don't have accomodations, but would like to chance it . . . wing it if you can, but be prepared to drive back to Geneva. It might take you that long to drive between the city and the mountain events anyway.

Good luck,
Michele
The mountain events are in and around Sestriere - the Franco/Italian border. Outside of these two Olympics' weeks, it's 90 mins between the mountains and the city. From what I've gathered, due to the mandatory bus system (or cars who have already bought a parking pass), it's now taking 4 to 5 hours to travel between the city and the mountain events.

Briancon, France begins the mandatory bus system into Italy - first over the border to the mountain events, and then further on into the city. If you're really looking for a place to stay near the mountain events, you might have better chances in Briancon. We're staying in Montgenevre, France-between Briancon and Sestriere-, but it was a brutal search a year ago to find a place (and I had to force money to be no option - I was desperate after already buying the tickets on behalf of 5 family members flying in from NY.)

If you notice on tv, there are all sorts of empty seats for even the most popular events. Last time I heard, out of a million tickets, only 600,000ish were sold. When the Olympic committee selects a city, it automatically books every hotel room in that city for athletes, coaches, press, workers, etc. The reason why there are so many empty seats is that there is virtually nowhere for us out of town spectators to stay. Unfortunately, it looks like Torino ultimately bit off more than it could chew when it came to accomodating all potential spectators - dommage.

My best advice for those who don't have accomodations, but would like to chance it . . . wing it if you can, but be prepared to drive back to Geneva. It might take you that long to drive between the city and the mountain events anyway.

Good luck,
Michele
3PuttBogey, Feb 17, 2006 @ 20:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks a lot girls for all the useful info!
Thanks a lot girls for all the useful info!
Iolly, Feb 17, 2006 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1257 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form