Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Two Insurances at the same time ( issue with Assura )

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Two Insurances at the same time ( issue with Assura )

Dears,

I appreciate this opportunity to wish you all a happy new year.

I am writing this post to seek for an advice regarding an insurance issue that I am currently suffering from.

I arrived in Geneva on September 2018, I was informed that the insurance is compulsory here for which I went to a broker to find an insurance for me as I didn’t know how to get one when I first arrived as a new expat. I signed one with Visana which I am using tell now. However, one of my colleagues advised me to ask for quotation from Assura as it should be cheaper (to ask for quotations for 2019), so I sent them an email on November with all my information to see what is the best deal for me but I didn’t get any feedback from them and they didn’t reply to my email so I didn’t think too much about it as I didn’t get any answer from Assura, I just stayed with Visana for the following year.

I discovered in November 2019 ( so one year later) that I have two poursuites charged on me by Assura. I didn’t understand what really happened because I didn’t sign anything with them but apparently because I asked for quotation sending all my information by email they decided to create a contract for me. After several attempts to contact them, they told me they sent the confirmation for me by post but because they didn’t have my  C/O it was never delivered and nothing was delivered from them even an order of payment otherwise I would know. Also, they mentioned that they canceled the contract that they have from me on March 2020 after receiving an information from Service de l'assurance-maladie that I already have an insurance but the amount of the poursuites is only from September 2018 till March 2019 (  noting  I was already having an insurance at that period which I am still using till now )

First, they asked me to send them an attestation from Visana that I was already covered by Visana during that period, which I did before the Chrsimus holiday and I sent a letter with Visana attestation and contract to Office Cantonal des poursuites with a copy to Assura to be delivered by hand.

After the holiday, I contacted Assura again to follow up on what happened and see when they will cancel the pousuites. They told me that they cannot do anything for me and I should contact Service de l'assurance-maladie. I contacted Service de l'assurance-maladie and they told me that Assura cannot create a contract for me unless I already signed a (Proposition de Contract) which I swear I didn’t and the fact that they canceled the contract on March 2019 it means that I already signed one with them which never happened. So now I have to contact Assura again to request for the signed ( Proposition de Contract ) by me which they will never provide me with since it’s not exist.

I really don’t know what to do now? I am not sure even is to have two insurance at the same time and one4 of them I never signed any contract with. Each party is advising me to do something else everyday and now I am not sure what is the correct procedure. The amount of the poursuite is high about 4000 CHF, I even thought to ask Assura to send an order of payment to pay this amount even though it’s not fair but just to remove this poursuite. However, I would rather now to pay this amount to a lawyer than to pay it to Assura.

I am seeking for advice based on your experience and expertise, what is the best procedure that I should do in that case? Do you recommend me to contact a lawyer who can help me on that and if yes any recommendation?

I do deeply apologize for this long post but I am desperately seeking for an advice.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

With many thanks,

Nour

The text you are quoting:

Dears,

I appreciate this opportunity to wish you all a happy new year.

I am writing this post to seek for an advice regarding an insurance issue that I am currently suffering from.

I arrived in Geneva on September 2018, I was informed that the insurance is compulsory here for which I went to a broker to find an insurance for me as I didn’t know how to get one when I first arrived as a new expat. I signed one with Visana which I am using tell now. However, one of my colleagues advised me to ask for quotation from Assura as it should be cheaper (to ask for quotations for 2019), so I sent them an email on November with all my information to see what is the best deal for me but I didn’t get any feedback from them and they didn’t reply to my email so I didn’t think too much about it as I didn’t get any answer from Assura, I just stayed with Visana for the following year.

I discovered in November 2019 ( so one year later) that I have two poursuites charged on me by Assura. I didn’t understand what really happened because I didn’t sign anything with them but apparently because I asked for quotation sending all my information by email they decided to create a contract for me. After several attempts to contact them, they told me they sent the confirmation for me by post but because they didn’t have my  C/O it was never delivered and nothing was delivered from them even an order of payment otherwise I would know. Also, they mentioned that they canceled the contract that they have from me on March 2020 after receiving an information from Service de l'assurance-maladie that I already have an insurance but the amount of the poursuites is only from September 2018 till March 2019 (  noting  I was already having an insurance at that period which I am still using till now )

First, they asked me to send them an attestation from Visana that I was already covered by Visana during that period, which I did before the Chrsimus holiday and I sent a letter with Visana attestation and contract to Office Cantonal des poursuites with a copy to Assura to be delivered by hand.

After the holiday, I contacted Assura again to follow up on what happened and see when they will cancel the pousuites. They told me that they cannot do anything for me and I should contact Service de l'assurance-maladie. I contacted Service de l'assurance-maladie and they told me that Assura cannot create a contract for me unless I already signed a (Proposition de Contract) which I swear I didn’t and the fact that they canceled the contract on March 2019 it means that I already signed one with them which never happened. So now I have to contact Assura again to request for the signed ( Proposition de Contract ) by me which they will never provide me with since it’s not exist.

I really don’t know what to do now? I am not sure even is to have two insurance at the same time and one4 of them I never signed any contract with. Each party is advising me to do something else everyday and now I am not sure what is the correct procedure. The amount of the poursuite is high about 4000 CHF, I even thought to ask Assura to send an order of payment to pay this amount even though it’s not fair but just to remove this poursuite. However, I would rather now to pay this amount to a lawyer than to pay it to Assura.

I am seeking for advice based on your experience and expertise, what is the best procedure that I should do in that case? Do you recommend me to contact a lawyer who can help me on that and if yes any recommendation?

I do deeply apologize for this long post but I am desperately seeking for an advice.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

With many thanks,

Nour

Nour Al-BashaJan 13, 2020 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 768 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Two Insurances at the same time ( issue with Assura )
Post 1

I can't help you with respect to tha main issue, but what you have explained is so shocking that I agree that you should contact a lawyer rather than pay Assura a cent. In most jurisdictions, a contract is not valid without a signature, but at a minimum there must be agreement between the parties and you clearly did not agree. I wish I knew more about Swiss contract law but I think your instinct to hire a lawyer is a good one. In the meantime, I am looking for insurance but will certainly not deal with Assura.

I can't help you with respect to tha main issue, but what you have explained is so shocking that I agree that you should contact a lawyer rather than pay Assura a cent. In most jurisdictions, a contract is not valid without a signature, but at a minimum there must be agreement between the parties and you clearly did not agree. I wish I knew more about Swiss contract law but I think your instinct to hire a lawyer is a good one. In the meantime, I am looking for insurance but will certainly not deal with Assura.

carolyn buff, Jan 13, 2020 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Two Insurances at the same time ( issue with Assura )
Post 2

Hi Carolyn,

You should not even ask for a quotation  from Assura otherwise they will create a contract for you without your approval like what happened to me Frown

Hi Carolyn,

You should not even ask for a quotation  from Assura otherwise they will create a contract for you without your approval like what happened to me Frown

Nour Al-Basha, Jan 17, 2020 @ 19:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 768 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form