Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > W-8BEN Form

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
W-8BEN Form

I've been asked to sign a W-8BEN form by a Swiss subsidiary of a french Bank . I am UK citizen with Swiss Permis C  - with no income or source of income or capital in the USA. Am I obliged to sign the form? Any advice welcome as I can't understand the logic .

The text you are quoting:

I've been asked to sign a W-8BEN form by a Swiss subsidiary of a french Bank . I am UK citizen with Swiss Permis C  - with no income or source of income or capital in the USA. Am I obliged to sign the form? Any advice welcome as I can't understand the logic .

Tim emensJun 15, 2020 @ 15:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 435 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: W-8BEN Form
Post 1

I think that it applies only to investors in US shares. 

I think that it applies only to investors in US shares. 

mody k, Jul 24, 2020 @ 23:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The bank is required under its obligations to the US, under FATCA, to get all its account holders to complete the form. It is basically a declaration as to whether you are a US Person. If you are not, then it has no further importance, but the bank is obliged to go through the process...

The bank is required under its obligations to the US, under FATCA, to get all its account holders to complete the form. It is basically a declaration as to whether you are a US Person. If you are not, then it has no further importance, but the bank is obliged to go through the process...

wilycoyote, Jul 27, 2020 @ 13:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sorry that's complete rubbish Tim .. I blame lockdown. Indeed, the w8 ben only has a relvance if you are looking for treaty relief on US source income.

Sorry that's complete rubbish Tim .. I blame lockdown. Indeed, the w8 ben only has a relvance if you are looking for treaty relief on US source income.

wilycoyote, Jul 27, 2020 @ 13:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello Tim,

You should not be completing this form if you do not receive an income from U.S. sources.

For futher information on the sbject please refer to thie link https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw8ben

Hello Tim,

You should not be completing this form if you do not receive an income from U.S. sources.

For futher information on the sbject please refer to thie link https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw8ben

monica m, Jul 29, 2020 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 435 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form