Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Webster University?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Webster University?
Hello, everyone!

I just arrived early this year to join my dad who has been working in the UN for 2 years now. I will be entering Webster University Geneva this coming school year since it's probably the best university (among the ones in Geneva that have English as their medium of instruction--too bad for me, I speak only Chinese and English, so the local university is out of the question...) I was just wondering if you could give me inputs regarding Webster, what I should expect, and if you have friends/relatives who go there and how they're doing, etc :) Thanks so much, all replies will be appreciated!
The text you are quoting:
Hello, everyone!

I just arrived early this year to join my dad who has been working in the UN for 2 years now. I will be entering Webster University Geneva this coming school year since it's probably the best university (among the ones in Geneva that have English as their medium of instruction--too bad for me, I speak only Chinese and English, so the local university is out of the question...) I was just wondering if you could give me inputs regarding Webster, what I should expect, and if you have friends/relatives who go there and how they're doing, etc :) Thanks so much, all replies will be appreciated!
CherrieeMay 20, 2006 @ 04:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1945 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Webster University?
Post 1
Here the bit that I know (the good and the bad), listed below. Most of it comes from my own discussions with Webster as part of understanding if their MBA program could interest GoLers.

1. Academically, Webster is great. Webster Geneva is part of a global Webster University network, which has been around for 100 years+ and is well established and respected. The faculty (I personally met some of the senior ones) are highly commited, and come from highly respectable schools. And Webster is well accredited. So academically, you're going to a great place.

2. Socially, there are mixed messages.
On the positive side, you will be with students from all over the world, the vast majority of which are well traveled and well educated. Net, you'll get a great culture mix with some great people.
On the negative side, there are also students in Webster who go there cos they could afford the entrance fee but who don't really need the degree cos they come from rich families, and thus are there to 'pass time' rather than to get real value out of Webster. Webster suffered from this image problem for a while, but from what I see this problem is not significant in reality.

Net, I think you're going to a good place.

Enjoy...

Nir
Here the bit that I know (the good and the bad), listed below. Most of it comes from my own discussions with Webster as part of understanding if their MBA program could interest GoLers.

1. Academically, Webster is great. Webster Geneva is part of a global Webster University network, which has been around for 100 years+ and is well established and respected. The faculty (I personally met some of the senior ones) are highly commited, and come from highly respectable schools. And Webster is well accredited. So academically, you're going to a great place.

2. Socially, there are mixed messages.
On the positive side, you will be with students from all over the world, the vast majority of which are well traveled and well educated. Net, you'll get a great culture mix with some great people.
On the negative side, there are also students in Webster who go there cos they could afford the entrance fee but who don't really need the degree cos they come from rich families, and thus are there to 'pass time' rather than to get real value out of Webster. Webster suffered from this image problem for a while, but from what I see this problem is not significant in reality.

Net, I think you're going to a good place.

Enjoy...

Nir

Nir Ofek, May 20, 2006 @ 19:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Depending on your career ambitions you should avoid Webster University. A friend of mine passed trough a similar experience than yours and he deeply regrets to have studied there since his CV is not good enough for a good MBA and top banks.

He said that he would better off be studying french for like one year before entrying a good school in Switzerland. Perhaps you should think about it!

Depending on your career ambitions you should avoid Webster University. A friend of mine passed trough a similar experience than yours and he deeply regrets to have studied there since his CV is not good enough for a good MBA and top banks.

He said that he would better off be studying french for like one year before entrying a good school in Switzerland. Perhaps you should think about it!

zenbrain, May 26, 2006 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
latincool, what do you mean by "depending on your career ambitions?" and where is your friend working now?

thank you for all of your replies. I have asked other people around as well, and I have been receiving mixed opinions as well.
latincool, what do you mean by "depending on your career ambitions?" and where is your friend working now?

thank you for all of your replies. I have asked other people around as well, and I have been receiving mixed opinions as well.
Cherriee, May 26, 2006 @ 22:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
My friend actually worked in a big bank in GVA and the HR manager told him that if he didn't have been recommended, his CV wouldn't be accepted.

Also he wasn't accepted in any good MBAs in Switzerland or France.

But then again it is just his experience.
My friend actually worked in a big bank in GVA and the HR manager told him that if he didn't have been recommended, his CV wouldn't be accepted.

Also he wasn't accepted in any good MBAs in Switzerland or France.

But then again it is just his experience.
zenbrain, May 29, 2006 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1945 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form