Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > When and how much to tip???

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
When and how much to tip???
Could someone please clarify when I should tip and how much is an appropriate tip at cafes, but most of all at a restaurant? Im a bit lost.. I keep hearing different opinions. Im used to tipping like in the United States (approximately 15% is the norm). What do you guys do?

Thanks! :)
The text you are quoting:
Could someone please clarify when I should tip and how much is an appropriate tip at cafes, but most of all at a restaurant? Im a bit lost.. I keep hearing different opinions. Im used to tipping like in the United States (approximately 15% is the norm). What do you guys do?

Thanks! :)
NisaFeb 19, 2006 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 4234 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: When and how much to tip???
Post 1
Seriously, there is no specific rule for tipping. You can tip 20 centimes for a coffee (to make it Chf 4.-) up to Chf 10.- for a meal when the service is good and the waiter is nice (nice= polite+smiles!).
Seriously, there is no specific rule for tipping. You can tip 20 centimes for a coffee (to make it Chf 4.-) up to Chf 10.- for a meal when the service is good and the waiter is nice (nice= polite+smiles!).
Iolly, Feb 20, 2006 @ 15:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
the tip is included in the cost already here, so only if you think the service deserves more reward than standard, you should tip.

the tip is included in the cost already here, so only if you think the service deserves more reward than standard, you should tip.

Nir Ofek, Feb 20, 2006 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Most restaurants include a 15% service fee in the bill. If they do not, the menu will state in it (usually quite obviously). As most others have said, unless the service is exceptional, just rounding up your share of the bill is plenty.

Sit back and enjoy being in a country where the bill really is what you are supposed to pay, and where the prices advertised in shops are what you actually pay.

Kiriel
Most restaurants include a 15% service fee in the bill. If they do not, the menu will state in it (usually quite obviously). As most others have said, unless the service is exceptional, just rounding up your share of the bill is plenty.

Sit back and enjoy being in a country where the bill really is what you are supposed to pay, and where the prices advertised in shops are what you actually pay.

Kiriel
Kiriel, Mar 2, 2006 @ 02:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 4234 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form