Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Where can I learn to ski?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Where can I learn to ski?
OK, so I'm from Australia and we don't have much snow there, so I never learnt to ski. But if I am going to survive the winter in Geneva, it is time that I did something about it!

Any suggestions on where I can go for ski lessons? I prefer somewhere close where I can go for a day by train, then head back home again for a hot bath at night!

Violet Moon
The text you are quoting:
OK, so I'm from Australia and we don't have much snow there, so I never learnt to ski. But if I am going to survive the winter in Geneva, it is time that I did something about it!

Any suggestions on where I can go for ski lessons? I prefer somewhere close where I can go for a day by train, then head back home again for a hot bath at night!

Violet Moon
violetmoonDec 13, 2005 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 2478 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Where can I learn to ski?
Post 1
Well Violet moon... u r Australian and u dont have much snow, I am an Egyptian with having no snow at all but lots of sand along the pyramids. Last time i Skied was in 1979 ( nt in Egypt off coarse). I would like to join if possible.
Well Violet moon... u r Australian and u dont have much snow, I am an Egyptian with having no snow at all but lots of sand along the pyramids. Last time i Skied was in 1979 ( nt in Egypt off coarse). I would like to join if possible.
adel, Dec 13, 2005 @ 21:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Thanks to all you who replied to my ski-cry for help! I sympathise with Adel on the sand issue - yes I imagine that Egypt doesn't get much snow!

I think that Phil's GOL ski weekend on 21-22 January sounds great. If I can organise something else in the meantime, I will post details here and let everyone know. I will do some research and see what is out there!

Let me know if there are any other ideas!

Ciao, Violet Moon
Thanks to all you who replied to my ski-cry for help! I sympathise with Adel on the sand issue - yes I imagine that Egypt doesn't get much snow!

I think that Phil's GOL ski weekend on 21-22 January sounds great. If I can organise something else in the meantime, I will post details here and let everyone know. I will do some research and see what is out there!

Let me know if there are any other ideas!

Ciao, Violet Moon
violetmoon, Dec 14, 2005 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
If you want to go by train St-Cergue is a good bet. The train is 15 minutes to Nyon and then 30 minutes to St-Cergue. Contact the Ecole Suisse de Ski de St-Cergue (http://www.latrelasse.ch/ess/ESS.htm) for lessons.

If you can go by car there are a lot of resorts close by. La Clusaz (45 min in the direction of Annecy) is popular. I really like Courmayeur and La Thuile (1h10 - 1h20) because they are straight down the autoroute and avoid the traffic jams you see on weekends in places closer by like Avoriaz and Megeve. Also, Italian food is better than French food!

For a complete list of ski resorts close to Geneva, Read The (Fine) Manual:

http://www.gregh.co.uk/html/rsrefaq.htm#What's%20the%20closest%20resort%20to%20Geneva
If you want to go by train St-Cergue is a good bet. The train is 15 minutes to Nyon and then 30 minutes to St-Cergue. Contact the Ecole Suisse de Ski de St-Cergue (http://www.latrelasse.ch/ess/ESS.htm) for lessons.

If you can go by car there are a lot of resorts close by. La Clusaz (45 min in the direction of Annecy) is popular. I really like Courmayeur and La Thuile (1h10 - 1h20) because they are straight down the autoroute and avoid the traffic jams you see on weekends in places closer by like Avoriaz and Megeve. Also, Italian food is better than French food!

For a complete list of ski resorts close to Geneva, Read The (Fine) Manual:

http://www.gregh.co.uk/html/rsrefaq.htm#What's%20the%20closest%20resort%20to%20Geneva
Rohan, Dec 14, 2005 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hello there :)
replying a bit late, but I am also a complete beginner!
I am from sicily, where snow is something I saw once in my life when I was 4 years old ... and never skied.
Shame on me because I have been in Geneva since 2004 thou ..
anyway it's time to learn :)

I am joining the GOL weekend, but if any of u wants to go before .. .I can organize something :)

Let me know
Vale
Hello there :)
replying a bit late, but I am also a complete beginner!
I am from sicily, where snow is something I saw once in my life when I was 4 years old ... and never skied.
Shame on me because I have been in Geneva since 2004 thou ..
anyway it's time to learn :)

I am joining the GOL weekend, but if any of u wants to go before .. .I can organize something :)

Let me know
Vale
Hoiling, Jan 3, 2006 @ 11:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 2478 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form