Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Where to buy second hand english books in Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Where to buy second hand english books in Geneva?

I am looking to buy second hand books in English and was wondering if anyone knows some places in Geneva.Especially looking for the book The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from Stieg Larsson.

Thanks in advance,

Marion.

The text you are quoting:

I am looking to buy second hand books in English and was wondering if anyone knows some places in Geneva.Especially looking for the book The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from Stieg Larsson.

Thanks in advance,

Marion.

Marion CJul 4, 2011 @ 09:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 8596 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Where to buy second hand english books in Geneva?
Post 1

Hi Marion,

every  Friday there is a book stall market on the square directly in front of the confederation centre- Place de la Fusterie - and typically four or five of the stalls have mainstream English books so its a simple way to browse.  They tend to cost around 5 or 6 francs.  

Hi Marion,

every  Friday there is a book stall market on the square directly in front of the confederation centre- Place de la Fusterie - and typically four or five of the stalls have mainstream English books so its a simple way to browse.  They tend to cost around 5 or 6 francs.  

hucklewoo, Jul 4, 2011 @ 10:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Also you can join the English library in the English church next to the Kempinski hotel.  They have a huge selection and also have sales every six months to clear out old stock. 

Also you can join the English library in the English church next to the Kempinski hotel.  They have a huge selection and also have sales every six months to clear out old stock. 

hucklewoo, Jul 4, 2011 @ 10:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The American library has book sales several tmes a year http://www.amlib.ch/

There is a book shop in the old town cannot remember stree neame but think it is the Grand Rue.  Bvd Georges Favon on the right going up from the bridge there is a shop on the left.  There was a place called the Bookworm in Paquis - do not know if it still exists. There a re many others.

Then there is the flea market on Weds and Stas in Plainpalais, the book market on Place de la Fusterie on Fridays.

But if you are looking for a specific book you shd be looking on ebay or Amazon

The American library has book sales several tmes a year http://www.amlib.ch/

There is a book shop in the old town cannot remember stree neame but think it is the Grand Rue.  Bvd Georges Favon on the right going up from the bridge there is a shop on the left.  There was a place called the Bookworm in Paquis - do not know if it still exists. There a re many others.

Then there is the flea market on Weds and Stas in Plainpalais, the book market on Place de la Fusterie on Fridays.

But if you are looking for a specific book you shd be looking on ebay or Amazon

Paul E, Jul 4, 2011 @ 09:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks in advance,

Marion.

Jul 4, 11 09:47

If you get your hands on that book, I'd love to read it after you! Smile

If you get your hands on that book, I'd love to read it after you! Smile

Liv S, Jul 4, 2011 @ 10:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Salvation Army on Route de Chêne has several bookshelves of English books, generally 2-4 francs for large books, 1 franc for paperbacks;

Emmaus, Route de Drize, Carouge, tram stop Carouge also has books in English for 1 franc each, some of them quite recent.

I have all three of the Larsson books for borrowing -- but must be returned. Send me a pm and we can arrange a coffee...

Salvation Army on Route de Chêne has several bookshelves of English books, generally 2-4 francs for large books, 1 franc for paperbacks;

Emmaus, Route de Drize, Carouge, tram stop Carouge also has books in English for 1 franc each, some of them quite recent.

I have all three of the Larsson books for borrowing -- but must be returned. Send me a pm and we can arrange a coffee...

Translator, Jul 4, 2011 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I can't remember the name of the store but there is a second hand store on Rue de Carouge between Pont d'Arve and Augustins stops (Tram 12) that sells only books and sportswear. There is an English books section. However I think it would extremely hard to find a specific title.

I can't remember the name of the store but there is a second hand store on Rue de Carouge between Pont d'Arve and Augustins stops (Tram 12) that sells only books and sportswear. There is an English books section. However I think it would extremely hard to find a specific title.

Livia C, Jul 4, 2011 @ 19:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

there's a great second hand book store, "barter books & coffee" packed with english books in Divonne (only 17kms to geneva).    the address is la ferme du fleutron, chemin du fleutron, 01220 divonne.    

there's a great second hand book store, "barter books & coffee" packed with english books in Divonne (only 17kms to geneva).    the address is la ferme du fleutron, chemin du fleutron, 01220 divonne.    

tamara lansky, Sep 5, 2014 @ 16:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

This thread is four years old.

However, “Les Recyclabes” on rue de Carouge are still in business.

Many of the other outlets mentioned are also still going strong:  The Library in English (rue Monthoux), Salvation Army (route de Chêne), Caritas, Centre social protestant, Croix Rouge Genève (see their websites) as well as the different English-language churches – look out for their church fairs ( “kermesses”) in the Autumn.  There’ll be bargains galore.

Ritchie

PS:  In case of interest, this year, the Church of Scotland’s Fair will be on 4 October in Grand-Saconnex’s Salle communale.

This thread is four years old.

However, “Les Recyclabes” on rue de Carouge are still in business.

Many of the other outlets mentioned are also still going strong:  The Library in English (rue Monthoux), Salvation Army (route de Chêne), Caritas, Centre social protestant, Croix Rouge Genève (see their websites) as well as the different English-language churches – look out for their church fairs ( “kermesses”) in the Autumn.  There’ll be bargains galore.

Ritchie

PS:  In case of interest, this year, the Church of Scotland’s Fair will be on 4 October in Grand-Saconnex’s Salle communale.

Ritchie, Sep 5, 2014 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 8596 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form