Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Why Geneva is so boring???

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Why Geneva is so boring???
The text you are quoting:

Cristina CJun 1, 2013 @ 01:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

127 Replies | 21912 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Why Geneva is so boring???
Post 1

Not sure if this is a serious question, but since I can't sleep anyway I'll bite...

The answer is actually very simple: Geneva completely lacks the substrate that gives other cities their dynamism. In particular...

...artists: if a burning desire to create permeates every waking minute of your life (which is what separates Artists from hipsters, but I digress) a financial hub like Geneva is the last place you would ever want to move to (and no starving artist could afford to anyway).

...students: people who study here are typically born into money and/or driven to careers where they can make more of it (HEC anyone?). I don't know what their student parties look like but I can imagine they involve tabs in the order of the thousands of francs and copious amounts of Armand de Brignac. Forget the free open airs with days of music and tons of people from all walks of life (god I miss Berlin).

...tourists: yes we all hate them and we all try not to look like them when we go to Barcelona or Amsterdam, but having crowds of visitors from around the world sloshing through the streets every week with the only occupation of trying to have a good time makes all the difference in the world (but not in Geneva, where there are still just TWO affordable hostels).

TL;DR: if you were expecting anything even close to the 'calore italiano' from back home, then sorry you're in the wrong place. If, on the other hand, you came here to do the best goddamn job you can while setting aside a nice 'f**k you fund' for whatever it is that you always wanted to do, like art, or traveling, then suck it up and see you at the other end of the tunnel ;-)

Not sure if this is a serious question, but since I can't sleep anyway I'll bite...

The answer is actually very simple: Geneva completely lacks the substrate that gives other cities their dynamism. In particular...

...artists: if a burning desire to create permeates every waking minute of your life (which is what separates Artists from hipsters, but I digress) a financial hub like Geneva is the last place you would ever want to move to (and no starving artist could afford to anyway).

...students: people who study here are typically born into money and/or driven to careers where they can make more of it (HEC anyone?). I don't know what their student parties look like but I can imagine they involve tabs in the order of the thousands of francs and copious amounts of Armand de Brignac. Forget the free open airs with days of music and tons of people from all walks of life (god I miss Berlin).

...tourists: yes we all hate them and we all try not to look like them when we go to Barcelona or Amsterdam, but having crowds of visitors from around the world sloshing through the streets every week with the only occupation of trying to have a good time makes all the difference in the world (but not in Geneva, where there are still just TWO affordable hostels).

TL;DR: if you were expecting anything even close to the 'calore italiano' from back home, then sorry you're in the wrong place. If, on the other hand, you came here to do the best goddamn job you can while setting aside a nice 'f**k you fund' for whatever it is that you always wanted to do, like art, or traveling, then suck it up and see you at the other end of the tunnel ;-)

Paul D, Jun 1, 2013 @ 03:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It's up to you to make you stay here interesting.

I'm a Genevan and I don't find my town boring, there's everything I like

and others towns aren't that far away.

It's up to you to make you stay here interesting.

I'm a Genevan and I don't find my town boring, there's everything I like

and others towns aren't that far away.

bertrand hubert r, Jun 1, 2013 @ 07:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Another Genevan's testimony : I have spend ten years studying, everything else but HEC... I enjoy art, am not an artist but I know personnally quite a good amount of Genevan artists... I welcome tourist and meet some who seem to be quite happy of their stay here... I have not a "best goddam job", but enjoy my professionnal activities...

I have travelled a lot, I have lived in other places, but I always came back and I am neither bored of my town, nor ashamed of it. Diversity is beautiful, isn't it ? Geneva has some to offer, maybe not the the same than other towns. Don't compare, seek for the good things you may find whereever you are.

Another Genevan's testimony : I have spend ten years studying, everything else but HEC... I enjoy art, am not an artist but I know personnally quite a good amount of Genevan artists... I welcome tourist and meet some who seem to be quite happy of their stay here... I have not a "best goddam job", but enjoy my professionnal activities...

I have travelled a lot, I have lived in other places, but I always came back and I am neither bored of my town, nor ashamed of it. Diversity is beautiful, isn't it ? Geneva has some to offer, maybe not the the same than other towns. Don't compare, seek for the good things you may find whereever you are.

Gabrielle R, Jun 1, 2013 @ 08:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

You are a cow in Switzerland and you do not think that you have a good job??

You can appreciate the best views all day long and you are a fundamental part of  Swiss chocolate , isn't that great?

About he topic , this question is old and I never understood it, especially being in Geneva and being a glocals. You have a lot of events that you can attend or create one. What's is missing for you guys?

You are a cow in Switzerland and you do not think that you have a good job??

You can appreciate the best views all day long and you are a fundamental part of  Swiss chocolate , isn't that great?

About he topic , this question is old and I never understood it, especially being in Geneva and being a glocals. You have a lot of events that you can attend or create one. What's is missing for you guys?

Ricardo S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 09:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

How many more times are we going to repeat this boring theme?
Ritchie

How many more times are we going to repeat this boring theme?
Ritchie

Ritchie, Jun 1, 2013 @ 09:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks Gabrielle, you can tell me more about artist in Gva? Or maybe someone knows about culturals centers or similar?

Yes, you are all wright saying that everywhere could be boring and it's up to me, but it's also true saying that many people work here during the week and they fly away every weekend because they find the city boring. I find the Geneva nice but without personality, for example every place looks like the same there are no amazing bars, restaurants, etc. as in Zurich (for example). Btw if someone knows  interesting places or events please let me know! :)

Thanks Gabrielle, you can tell me more about artist in Gva? Or maybe someone knows about culturals centers or similar?

Yes, you are all wright saying that everywhere could be boring and it's up to me, but it's also true saying that many people work here during the week and they fly away every weekend because they find the city boring. I find the Geneva nice but without personality, for example every place looks like the same there are no amazing bars, restaurants, etc. as in Zurich (for example). Btw if someone knows  interesting places or events please let me know! :)

Cristina C, Jun 1, 2013 @ 09:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jun 1, 13 01:14

Because I moved to Vaud! Laughing

Evidently I'm just kidding! How many more times will be have this thread?There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Geneva if you take it as a small centrally located European city with a strong financial base. I'll unsubscribe as soon as I post this as frankly I can't be arsed to reading the musings of a load of whining tossers banging on that "it lacks the vibrancy of New York, London, Paris...yada, yada, yada!"

With everything available here (through Glocals for a kickoff) if you can't find something halfway interesting to do then maybe, just maybe the problem lies with you.

Because I moved to Vaud! Laughing

Evidently I'm just kidding! How many more times will be have this thread?There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Geneva if you take it as a small centrally located European city with a strong financial base. I'll unsubscribe as soon as I post this as frankly I can't be arsed to reading the musings of a load of whining tossers banging on that "it lacks the vibrancy of New York, London, Paris...yada, yada, yada!"

With everything available here (through Glocals for a kickoff) if you can't find something halfway interesting to do then maybe, just maybe the problem lies with you.

Rich, Jun 1, 2013 @ 10:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Cristina

You are lucky to live in Geneva.....for many it's just a dream to live around here....so .......just enjoy your stay....go for a long walk by the lake or @ the Botanic parc....etc.....good luck

Cristina

You are lucky to live in Geneva.....for many it's just a dream to live around here....so .......just enjoy your stay....go for a long walk by the lake or @ the Botanic parc....etc.....good luck

Sari W, Jun 1, 2013 @ 10:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Geneva is simply boring compared to cool cities such as Barcelona, Paris, New York, San Francisco, London etc. It is also boring compared to other small but still fun places such as Montpellier. Boring is a term subject to personal interpretation. So, to some people having mountains around is enough to feel good. They will not agree with your statement. People who enjoy dynamic places, a certain city life and a cool city to discover (e.g., discover new coffee places, new galeries, meet cool people) will generally not become fans of Geneva. These people also indeed have the tendency to spend every weekend outside of Geneva to go to places such as BCN and Paris and this is (if you ask me) the only mode to survive here. For Geneva it unfortunately means that the city is even more quiet on weekends. The only exception are days with good weather (then, for a strange reason, the city seems to awake from death). Unfortunately, we are currently not gifted with many nice days which makes the Geneva experience even more despressing..

I spent more than a year in Geneva and had some nice moments because of a few cool people I met. However, Geneva as such is simply not the place to be for people who like big cities and it won't become such a place. Geneva sounds better on the paper than other comparably small cities, but it remains what it is, a small city in a country that has many positive aspects, but is simply not known for being especially exciting. Switzerland, including Geneva, is just not a vibrant, diverse, open-minded place with warm-hearted people, great food, lots of diversity and an entrepreneurial spirit. Geneva is a city for bureaucrats and bankers and families who like a comfortable life. 

So, for all people who think of moving to Geneva from a big city - think twice. And for all people who come to Geneva - don't waste too much time here, it is not worth it and it is not going to get any better (my experience) or better don't come here to begin with. 

And people who value a good salary, short commute hours, easy access to mountains over having a great city should come as they will most likely love Geneva.

I for myself decided to leave and will only have another two months - JUHUUUUUUUUUUU. Life is too short to spend it in Geneva if you don't like it (or in another place if you don't like it). In the meantime, do it like us: become a frequent traveler with easyjet and leave this place as often as you can :). Just be constructive, it doesn't help you saying that Geneva is boring - many people will agree, others won't for the reasons mentioned above - apply to other places, try to still socialize here as difficult as it is as it will help you to wait for better times, book easyjet flights, take the TGV to Paris or the South of France and accept that you won't be able to change Geneva, but you can improve your situation by going to a better place. Good luck! 

Geneva is simply boring compared to cool cities such as Barcelona, Paris, New York, San Francisco, London etc. It is also boring compared to other small but still fun places such as Montpellier. Boring is a term subject to personal interpretation. So, to some people having mountains around is enough to feel good. They will not agree with your statement. People who enjoy dynamic places, a certain city life and a cool city to discover (e.g., discover new coffee places, new galeries, meet cool people) will generally not become fans of Geneva. These people also indeed have the tendency to spend every weekend outside of Geneva to go to places such as BCN and Paris and this is (if you ask me) the only mode to survive here. For Geneva it unfortunately means that the city is even more quiet on weekends. The only exception are days with good weather (then, for a strange reason, the city seems to awake from death). Unfortunately, we are currently not gifted with many nice days which makes the Geneva experience even more despressing..

I spent more than a year in Geneva and had some nice moments because of a few cool people I met. However, Geneva as such is simply not the place to be for people who like big cities and it won't become such a place. Geneva sounds better on the paper than other comparably small cities, but it remains what it is, a small city in a country that has many positive aspects, but is simply not known for being especially exciting. Switzerland, including Geneva, is just not a vibrant, diverse, open-minded place with warm-hearted people, great food, lots of diversity and an entrepreneurial spirit. Geneva is a city for bureaucrats and bankers and families who like a comfortable life. 

So, for all people who think of moving to Geneva from a big city - think twice. And for all people who come to Geneva - don't waste too much time here, it is not worth it and it is not going to get any better (my experience) or better don't come here to begin with. 

And people who value a good salary, short commute hours, easy access to mountains over having a great city should come as they will most likely love Geneva.

I for myself decided to leave and will only have another two months - JUHUUUUUUUUUUU. Life is too short to spend it in Geneva if you don't like it (or in another place if you don't like it). In the meantime, do it like us: become a frequent traveler with easyjet and leave this place as often as you can :). Just be constructive, it doesn't help you saying that Geneva is boring - many people will agree, others won't for the reasons mentioned above - apply to other places, try to still socialize here as difficult as it is as it will help you to wait for better times, book easyjet flights, take the TGV to Paris or the South of France and accept that you won't be able to change Geneva, but you can improve your situation by going to a better place. Good luck! 

Hanna S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I have been here for 6 weeks now and although I would say Geneva is not the most engaging city I have been to I have found there is a bit of a music scene going on here (which I like). I stay in Champel which has to be said is dull! I looked at moving to Nyon but eventually I got a place in Veyrier on edge of Geneva. I am glad though that the train system is so good as I have been to a lot of places outwith Geneva and maybe a little more interesting/ fun. Just jump on a train at the weekend and head East or West! 

I have been here for 6 weeks now and although I would say Geneva is not the most engaging city I have been to I have found there is a bit of a music scene going on here (which I like). I stay in Champel which has to be said is dull! I looked at moving to Nyon but eventually I got a place in Veyrier on edge of Geneva. I am glad though that the train system is so good as I have been to a lot of places outwith Geneva and maybe a little more interesting/ fun. Just jump on a train at the weekend and head East or West! 

Grant M, Jun 1, 2013 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jun 1, 13 11:17

Thanks Hanna, I m totally agree with you. You are right this grey sky doesn't help... Even going at the lake is not possible... :(

Where are you moving? Happy for you it's a good idea... :) I'm an architect, and I always need to discover new things, and in they sense Geneva it's not the best, even if I have met lots of interesting people. Just think I have too many energies for this kind of lifestyle! :)  Wish u all the best for your "new life"!!!

Thanks Hanna, I m totally agree with you. You are right this grey sky doesn't help... Even going at the lake is not possible... :(

Where are you moving? Happy for you it's a good idea... :) I'm an architect, and I always need to discover new things, and in they sense Geneva it's not the best, even if I have met lots of interesting people. Just think I have too many energies for this kind of lifestyle! :)  Wish u all the best for your "new life"!!!

Cristina C, Jun 1, 2013 @ 11:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Moving back to San Francisco! :-)

But I would have also moved to other places simply to escape. As I said, life is too short to be wasted in a place that doesn't seem to be a fit. Being an expat in  a great city can be so much fun, being in a place as an expat that is worse than other possible options doesn't make any sense at all. 

Moving back to San Francisco! :-)

But I would have also moved to other places simply to escape. As I said, life is too short to be wasted in a place that doesn't seem to be a fit. Being an expat in  a great city can be so much fun, being in a place as an expat that is worse than other possible options doesn't make any sense at all. 

Hanna S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 12:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Jun 1, 13 11:53

Agree! That's why I'll go in Zurich next weekend! ;)

Cristina C, Jun 1, 2013 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

because there are (strange) people who thinks it's boring!!!
but luckily there are also a lot of other people who know that geneva is great and enjoys life here (concerts, theaters, cinema, glocals events and lots of outdoor activities)

because there are (strange) people who thinks it's boring!!!
but luckily there are also a lot of other people who know that geneva is great and enjoys life here (concerts, theaters, cinema, glocals events and lots of outdoor activities)

Masha S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 16:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Masha: has the thought ever crossed your mind that opinions are subjective and that it doesn't seem to be extremely sophisticated to judge people based on an expressed personal opinion. Would you also think people are weird because they don't like the same food as you do? I would not think of people differently only because they like Geneva (good for them), but many simply don't, and the fact that at least every second person I know would leave Geneva in a second if they could makes me believe that it is indeed not a city for everybody.

Masha: has the thought ever crossed your mind that opinions are subjective and that it doesn't seem to be extremely sophisticated to judge people based on an expressed personal opinion. Would you also think people are weird because they don't like the same food as you do? I would not think of people differently only because they like Geneva (good for them), but many simply don't, and the fact that at least every second person I know would leave Geneva in a second if they could makes me believe that it is indeed not a city for everybody.

Hanna S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hanna S: that's exactly what I never understood: every second person complains about the life in geneve but nobody actually wants to leave (I.e. leaves). That makes me think that probably this city is not that bad after all.

Hanna S: that's exactly what I never understood: every second person complains about the life in geneve but nobody actually wants to leave (I.e. leaves). That makes me think that probably this city is not that bad after all.

Masha S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

The only boring thing about Geneva is that this subect crops up every three months and attracts either boring people who do not know how to enjoy themselves or boring people (like me) who find the time to add a comment.

I

The only boring thing about Geneva is that this subect crops up every three months and attracts either boring people who do not know how to enjoy themselves or boring people (like me) who find the time to add a comment.

I

Paul E, Jun 1, 2013 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Actually I can understand that some people find Geneva a bit boring. I've been here all my life and I totally love my hometown, but if I had lived in a bigger city,  or in some places where Calvin didn't put his ass in the past....  (I believe his spirit is still in the place...).

I just can mention my cousins, one who lives now near Lausanne and would NOT come back to live here, and the other who lived in the UK before coming back and chose to live NOT in Geneva.

Now, as some others said, trains is a great way to visit other places, like Lausanne, Zurich or even Saint-Gall. You can go everywhere you want to have fun. (you can also leave definitely, you will let some empty flats for the natives  :) )

And I'm not talking about Calvin from *Calvin and Hobbes*....

Actually I can understand that some people find Geneva a bit boring. I've been here all my life and I totally love my hometown, but if I had lived in a bigger city,  or in some places where Calvin didn't put his ass in the past....  (I believe his spirit is still in the place...).

I just can mention my cousins, one who lives now near Lausanne and would NOT come back to live here, and the other who lived in the UK before coming back and chose to live NOT in Geneva.

Now, as some others said, trains is a great way to visit other places, like Lausanne, Zurich or even Saint-Gall. You can go everywhere you want to have fun. (you can also leave definitely, you will let some empty flats for the natives  :) )

And I'm not talking about Calvin from *Calvin and Hobbes*....

bertrand hubert r, Jun 1, 2013 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

People do leave and I can tell you, after having spent a couple of months in Geneva, I worked hard on making my choice to leave reality. But as most expats tend to have careers, there are also other aspects to keep in mind. I have seen many, many people leaving Geneva and - as I said - I am leaving myself (juhuuu :) which makes me feel more comfortable sharing my experience. I am also sharing my experience because I did not have enough feedback when choosing to move here. If I would have known how Geneva is, I would have most likely not moved and saved myself this very unpleasant episode in my life and would also have saved Geneva from another person who doesn't like it. 

People do leave and I can tell you, after having spent a couple of months in Geneva, I worked hard on making my choice to leave reality. But as most expats tend to have careers, there are also other aspects to keep in mind. I have seen many, many people leaving Geneva and - as I said - I am leaving myself (juhuuu :) which makes me feel more comfortable sharing my experience. I am also sharing my experience because I did not have enough feedback when choosing to move here. If I would have known how Geneva is, I would have most likely not moved and saved myself this very unpleasant episode in my life and would also have saved Geneva from another person who doesn't like it. 

Hanna S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 17:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Places are not boring. Places are just that, places. People get bored and this is a different thing. If you are expecting Geneva to be like Barcelona o San Francisco, it is like drinking milk and expecting to be drunk and you will not be able to see the good things this petty city offers Likewise, if you have not found a purpose to be here, sure, it is going to be boring. Life happens where you are and in the very moment you are. Focus and you will be happy.

Places are not boring. Places are just that, places. People get bored and this is a different thing. If you are expecting Geneva to be like Barcelona o San Francisco, it is like drinking milk and expecting to be drunk and you will not be able to see the good things this petty city offers Likewise, if you have not found a purpose to be here, sure, it is going to be boring. Life happens where you are and in the very moment you are. Focus and you will be happy.

Julio A, Jun 1, 2013 @ 19:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I disagree with you, Julio, that places are not boring. There is a reason why curious people like to live in diverse places, and often diversity is a result of a bigger city. There is also a reason why some creative people feel attracted to particular places. There is a reason why you can find more creative expressions in certain places, more entrepreneurs etc. Places do have an influence on the people who live there. Of course, I can also be happy when I spend time with friends in Geneva and have a nice conversation over a good glass of wine, go for a nice run and enjoy the view over lake Geneva (which is truly beautiful), but I personally like the feeling of living in a city that I somewhat admire, where I can walk in the streets and be inspired, that is liberal and open-minded with dynamic energies. And all this is Geneva clearly not! 

I disagree with you, Julio, that places are not boring. There is a reason why curious people like to live in diverse places, and often diversity is a result of a bigger city. There is also a reason why some creative people feel attracted to particular places. There is a reason why you can find more creative expressions in certain places, more entrepreneurs etc. Places do have an influence on the people who live there. Of course, I can also be happy when I spend time with friends in Geneva and have a nice conversation over a good glass of wine, go for a nice run and enjoy the view over lake Geneva (which is truly beautiful), but I personally like the feeling of living in a city that I somewhat admire, where I can walk in the streets and be inspired, that is liberal and open-minded with dynamic energies. And all this is Geneva clearly not! 

Hanna S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

As well as Geneva, I have lived and worked in London, Zurich, Cairo, Montreal and Colombo, mostly for UN organizations, which has brought me into contact with literally hundreds of expats from all over the world, including Switzerland and even Geneva.* 

Among them, there has always been a nucleus who were permanently homesick – for an English pint, a real curry, Vegemite, pineapple, to say nothing of a yodeling group, a Burns’ society, pétanque mates, and so on.

Luckily, the majority made the best of what was available and our make-do and nend efforts provided many a good laugh.

There are no two ways about being an expat.  Either you accept and appreciate what your host country/ city/village has to offer or, if this falls short of your needs, you move on to some other pasture which, hopefully, will provide all you’re dreaming of.

Geneva may miss you but  there won’t be any shortage of candidates for your job or your accommodation.

All the best, R,

*For the record, some Genevans also find their city too tame or lacking in opportunities so they become expats, returning only for holidays or to retire.  And some never do even that.

As well as Geneva, I have lived and worked in London, Zurich, Cairo, Montreal and Colombo, mostly for UN organizations, which has brought me into contact with literally hundreds of expats from all over the world, including Switzerland and even Geneva.* 

Among them, there has always been a nucleus who were permanently homesick – for an English pint, a real curry, Vegemite, pineapple, to say nothing of a yodeling group, a Burns’ society, pétanque mates, and so on.

Luckily, the majority made the best of what was available and our make-do and nend efforts provided many a good laugh.

There are no two ways about being an expat.  Either you accept and appreciate what your host country/ city/village has to offer or, if this falls short of your needs, you move on to some other pasture which, hopefully, will provide all you’re dreaming of.

Geneva may miss you but  there won’t be any shortage of candidates for your job or your accommodation.

All the best, R,

*For the record, some Genevans also find their city too tame or lacking in opportunities so they become expats, returning only for holidays or to retire.  And some never do even that.

Ritchie, Jun 1, 2013 @ 20:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

To put it simple. It's people's unfullfilled expectations which make them feel bored. Sadhus who live in the Himalayas, have differente expectation than you and me, an so they don't feel bored. But I would be!

To put it simple. It's people's unfullfilled expectations which make them feel bored. Sadhus who live in the Himalayas, have differente expectation than you and me, an so they don't feel bored. But I would be!

Julio A, Jun 1, 2013 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

After my first serious night out in Geneva I am sure i will have some great nights out in.. Lausanne! That appears to be the general advice if you a decent night out. It is true as an expat you always have to meld with your surroundings but maybe as a Brit that might be Lausanne!

After my first serious night out in Geneva I am sure i will have some great nights out in.. Lausanne! That appears to be the general advice if you a decent night out. It is true as an expat you always have to meld with your surroundings but maybe as a Brit that might be Lausanne!

Grant M, Jun 2, 2013 @ 02:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Jun 1, 13 12:32

Hi Cristina, I Just got here 2 days ago and was hoping to visit Zurich as well. Would you like to travel together? P. 

Hi Cristina, I Just got here 2 days ago and was hoping to visit Zurich as well. Would you like to travel together? P. 

Patricia Rose, Jun 2, 2013 @ 04:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Someone who says that Geneva is boring is because he/she is bored him/her self. Just look arround (if you do not know where, just ask your Glocals friends) to find out or just have a look at many Glocals activities at this site !  Should you still not be satisfied, choose the easy way, leave Geneva for one of such fantastic places mentionned earlier in this forum !

Someone who says that Geneva is boring is because he/she is bored him/her self. Just look arround (if you do not know where, just ask your Glocals friends) to find out or just have a look at many Glocals activities at this site !  Should you still not be satisfied, choose the easy way, leave Geneva for one of such fantastic places mentionned earlier in this forum !

frankgros, Jun 2, 2013 @ 09:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Thanks to friends for appreciating my comments, and they make me think that we can talk on the same topic from a different point of view or approach (culture shock, how to manage my expectations as a new comer in Geneva...)... but of course, opening different conversations, so that new comers can find some tools tha they can use. I will do it and let´s see what happen... I promise :-)

Thanks to friends for appreciating my comments, and they make me think that we can talk on the same topic from a different point of view or approach (culture shock, how to manage my expectations as a new comer in Geneva...)... but of course, opening different conversations, so that new comers can find some tools tha they can use. I will do it and let´s see what happen... I promise :-)

Julio A, Jun 2, 2013 @ 11:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

one cannot ignore the fact that the genevan swiss are generally less welcoming and warm than most other people (maybe because of calvinian influence?). When i was in brazil i genuinely feel the warmth and positive mindsets of the people (even without myself trying that hard to meet people). When I landed in geneva I immediately feel how cold ppl are to each other. 

But we need to understand each place has its strengths and weaknesses, and use them to our advantage :)

one cannot ignore the fact that the genevan swiss are generally less welcoming and warm than most other people (maybe because of calvinian influence?). When i was in brazil i genuinely feel the warmth and positive mindsets of the people (even without myself trying that hard to meet people). When I landed in geneva I immediately feel how cold ppl are to each other. 

But we need to understand each place has its strengths and weaknesses, and use them to our advantage :)

Joshua C, Jun 2, 2013 @ 12:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Having spent most of my time overseas, any place is what you make it to be. If you make it boring then it becomes boring. If you look at the positive side of things a place has to offer then it becomes interesting. It is up to an individual to make it what he or she wants it to be. 

As to the Genevan Swiss being less welcoming???? Meeting a few less welcoming Swiss people does not make every Genevan Swiss cold. It works both ways in any country. Maybe give them a smile and they will return a smile? 

Having spent most of my time overseas, any place is what you make it to be. If you make it boring then it becomes boring. If you look at the positive side of things a place has to offer then it becomes interesting. It is up to an individual to make it what he or she wants it to be. 

As to the Genevan Swiss being less welcoming???? Meeting a few less welcoming Swiss people does not make every Genevan Swiss cold. It works both ways in any country. Maybe give them a smile and they will return a smile? 

Violet S, Jun 2, 2013 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Have nothing to do so will re-enter the discussion.  If a site like glocals existed in you home town and a whigeing Swiss started complaining about how boring it was livingm there, would you befriend him. Of course not, because he would bore to death with his negative attitude.

Somewhere reference was made to not meeting many cool people. Fortunately or unfortunately I have not got the slightest idea what makes a person 'cool' (eskimo ancestors?). I just get on with my life 

Have nothing to do so will re-enter the discussion.  If a site like glocals existed in you home town and a whigeing Swiss started complaining about how boring it was livingm there, would you befriend him. Of course not, because he would bore to death with his negative attitude.

Somewhere reference was made to not meeting many cool people. Fortunately or unfortunately I have not got the slightest idea what makes a person 'cool' (eskimo ancestors?). I just get on with my life 

Paul E, Jun 2, 2013 @ 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

I shall tell you something, this forum topic is bloody boring !!!Laughing

I shall tell you something, this forum topic is bloody boring !!!Laughing

robert m, Jun 2, 2013 @ 20:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

I've lived in Montreal, London, Paris and other places before coming to Geneva.

Wouldn't move from here for the world. Yes, theatres,concerts and pubs are simply fantastic in London. Yes, restaurants, shopping, museums, art, etc are fantastic in Paris. Yes, people in Montreal are simply the best.

But guess what : nothing beats being in a calm unpoluted city with not that much traffic, next to a lake for watetr sports, next to mountains for summer and winter sports, and just a couple of hours away from the sea and all major European cities + Asia to the right, Americas to the left and Africa just down south !

Why and what in the world are you complaining about ??????!!!!!

APPRECIATE YOUR LUCK !

Wouldn't move from here for the world. Yes, theatres,concerts and pubs are simply fantastic in London. Yes, restaurants, shopping, museums, art, etc are fantastic in Paris. Yes, people in Montreal are simply the best.

But guess what : nothing beats being in a calm unpoluted city with not that much traffic, next to a lake for watetr sports, next to mountains for summer and winter sports, and just a couple of hours away from the sea and all major European cities + Asia to the right, Americas to the left and Africa just down south !

APPRECIATE YOUR LUCK !

Nathalie B, Jun 3, 2013 @ 10:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Geneva is not boring. It's just chilled and laid back.

Nothing to do in the evenings? Go for a beer at Riverside Cafe or an ice-cream at Movenpick next door. If you want a coffee instead, head to Boreal close to the Bel-Air bus stop. If the weather is nice on a Sunday, head over to Parc des Eaux Vives for a picnic or some ice cold drinks with friends. Feel like an afterwork drink? You can check out Latalier Cocktail Club or FloorTwo at Kempinski. Spend a Saturday with the family at Balexert, maybe catch a movie. 

There's plenty to do in Geneva, but as I said, its just laid back. Take a step back and just chill and you will learn to appreciate what Geneva has to offer. 

Geneva is not boring. It's just chilled and laid back.

Nothing to do in the evenings? Go for a beer at Riverside Cafe or an ice-cream at Movenpick next door. If you want a coffee instead, head to Boreal close to the Bel-Air bus stop. If the weather is nice on a Sunday, head over to Parc des Eaux Vives for a picnic or some ice cold drinks with friends. Feel like an afterwork drink? You can check out Latalier Cocktail Club or FloorTwo at Kempinski. Spend a Saturday with the family at Balexert, maybe catch a movie. 

There's plenty to do in Geneva, but as I said, its just laid back. Take a step back and just chill and you will learn to appreciate what Geneva has to offer. 

Alma H, Jun 3, 2013 @ 10:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

about artist : I know at least 20 art galleries in Geneva, wich is quiete a lot for a city of 400 000 peoples. Every week, there s vernissage and new exhbitiion, it s just that lot of peoples here pretend to be cool and be arts lover, but are just too lazy to really see and found what the city has to offer.

only this week, I m fully book with artistic or cultural events : art exhbition, stand up one man show tomorrow, a play thusday ,an  amazind alternative dj from Berlin friday and a classical concert isundayl. And the coolest thing, living and working in Geneva, I can afford to go and enjoy those events wich is not the case of most of people I know living in Paris, Londond and Barcelonna. 

about artist : I know at least 20 art galleries in Geneva, wich is quiete a lot for a city of 400 000 peoples. Every week, there s vernissage and new exhbitiion, it s just that lot of peoples here pretend to be cool and be arts lover, but are just too lazy to really see and found what the city has to offer.

only this week, I m fully book with artistic or cultural events : art exhbition, stand up one man show tomorrow, a play thusday ,an  amazind alternative dj from Berlin friday and a classical concert isundayl. And the coolest thing, living and working in Geneva, I can afford to go and enjoy those events wich is not the case of most of people I know living in Paris, Londond and Barcelonna. 

Tryky, Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

Jun 3, 13 12:04

Thanks, please tell me more! :)

Thanks, please tell me more! :)

Cristina C, Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

http://www.darksite.ch/ladecadanse/

http://www.colormygeneva.ch/

2 websites to stay tuned about event in Geneva.

I had a gallery during a year, I post few events here, but I realised that lot of glocalers came to the vernissage only to drink wine for free and didn t pay attention of the exhibition, so I stop annoncing my event here.

last month, my friend organise a rock festival during 3 weeks, 2 bands each night from  wednesday to saturday and bands from Swiss and France ( Paris, Lille, Marseille), it was so cool speaking with the band who where amazed how they were kindly treated in Geneva compare to France...

I will repeat myself : boring people is wondering why a city is boring and cool people just make the most of it. 

I had a gallery during a year, I post few events here, but I realised that lot of glocalers came to the vernissage only to drink wine for free and didn t pay attention of the exhibition, so I stop annoncing my event here.

last month, my friend organise a rock festival during 3 weeks, 2 bands each night from  wednesday to saturday and bands from Swiss and France ( Paris, Lille, Marseille), it was so cool speaking with the band who where amazed how they were kindly treated in Geneva compare to France...

I will repeat myself : boring people is wondering why a city is boring and cool people just make the most of it. 

Tryky, Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Jun 3, 13 12:33

"I will repeat myself : boring people is wondering why a city is boring and cool people just make the most of it. "

Cool people are never bored??? That's funny.

Luckly everyone is different and we are free to give our opinion... I see many people love Geneva, and that's great. Personally I don't like to chill or laid back every day and every weekend, that's why I travel to see something different, and my friends are used to do the same. 

Moreover I don't feel lucky because I live here, this is just a city as many others. Lots of people are here for just for the salary and they really hate Geneva. I don't hate the city, the lake its beautiful, I love skiing, and I have nice friends (for this I am really lucky!), but after two years I'm tired to go all the time in the same places and to run out of the city as soon as possible every Friday because in weekends it's empty. Of course if you like to rest, walking in the mountains and try sports on the lake is perfect.

"I will repeat myself : boring people is wondering why a city is boring and cool people just make the most of it. "

Cool people are never bored??? That's funny.

Luckly everyone is different and we are free to give our opinion... I see many people love Geneva, and that's great. Personally I don't like to chill or laid back every day and every weekend, that's why I travel to see something different, and my friends are used to do the same. 

Moreover I don't feel lucky because I live here, this is just a city as many others. Lots of people are here for just for the salary and they really hate Geneva. I don't hate the city, the lake its beautiful, I love skiing, and I have nice friends (for this I am really lucky!), but after two years I'm tired to go all the time in the same places and to run out of the city as soon as possible every Friday because in weekends it's empty. Of course if you like to rest, walking in the mountains and try sports on the lake is perfect.

Cristina C, Jun 3, 2013 @ 14:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Hey folks, ...maybe I am bored now with this... although........

Hey folks, ...maybe I am bored now with this... although........

Julio A, Jun 3, 2013 @ 15:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Julio why you waste your time here if it s boring? :) 

some advices are really useful!! Thanks to who has a proactive attitude!

Julio why you waste your time here if it s boring? :) 

some advices are really useful!! Thanks to who has a proactive attitude!

Cristina C, Jun 3, 2013 @ 16:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Hahaha... that is true... you are right, Cristina.... upss :-)

Hahaha... that is true... you are right, Cristina.... upss :-)

Julio A, Jun 3, 2013 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Geneva seems boring to you because you moved there as a young professional. Around the age 25-30 life gets more boring, whether you move to another country or stay in the one you were born. You simply attribute it to the Geneva, but this is incorrect.

When you were a student and during the first few years of your career, it was always easy to find some friends to have a drink with, go to a movie with, or to travel somewhere in the weekend. Now they are all starting a family and are far less eager than before to go out at night, and during the weekend they want to spend time with their partner. 

I had this experience when I moved from Amsterdam (where I studied) to The Hague (where I started my first job). The Hague is a great city, but finding moving away from my immediate friends and finding that my colleagues prefered to stay home in the evening made me feel isolated, and it took me a few months to adjust.

The solution is that you will have to change. Find something that you enjoy doing by yourself or with your partner. In the evening you can do sports (team sports rather than fitness, since it's more social), a hobby or online course, go to the cinema or watch movies at home, etc. In the weekend you can go hiking, skiing, sightseeing, enjoy Switzerland's spa/beauty industry, etc. 

Stop relying on the city to entertain you, learn entertain yourself. 

Geneva seems boring to you because you moved there as a young professional. Around the age 25-30 life gets more boring, whether you move to another country or stay in the one you were born. You simply attribute it to the Geneva, but this is incorrect.

When you were a student and during the first few years of your career, it was always easy to find some friends to have a drink with, go to a movie with, or to travel somewhere in the weekend. Now they are all starting a family and are far less eager than before to go out at night, and during the weekend they want to spend time with their partner. 

I had this experience when I moved from Amsterdam (where I studied) to The Hague (where I started my first job). The Hague is a great city, but finding moving away from my immediate friends and finding that my colleagues prefered to stay home in the evening made me feel isolated, and it took me a few months to adjust.

The solution is that you will have to change. Find something that you enjoy doing by yourself or with your partner. In the evening you can do sports (team sports rather than fitness, since it's more social), a hobby or online course, go to the cinema or watch movies at home, etc. In the weekend you can go hiking, skiing, sightseeing, enjoy Switzerland's spa/beauty industry, etc. 

Edward B, Jun 3, 2013 @ 16:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

I find this topic less-than-boring because it's something that you can actually measure: you could easily divide the number of public events by residents (or even further, by event type, for getting a "variety" metric).

I think that some places do, obviously, have more going on than others. There's no question that some cities (London, NYC, Tokyo, etc.) simply have more things on offer (more theatres, museums, movie-houses, etc.) than others. However, as an expat, I have found the expat community here in Geneva to be quite vibrant. Glocals itself is phenomenonal - I've found an actually useful classifieds section as well as events/activities of all kinds.

I think people forget that, in many ways, Geneva is a glorified village. It has only 250,000 or so inhabitants, and while it offers many services/events like a bigger city, its still not equal to one. In a way, it's a victim of its own success.

I have spent time in a few large cities, and specifically I can compare/contrast Geneva with another Calvinist city of a similar stripe: The Hague (brought to my mind by the above poster). The two are both meccas for expat diplomats/NGOs, with nearly the same % expat (Den Haag: 48% of ~500k and Geneva 46% of ~250k, from the last stats I found), and I have to say that for being literally half the size, the commnunity in Geneva is twice as active. 

There is nothing equivalent to glocals in NL (Internations tries, but people use it mainly as a way to go out for dinner/drinks, and little more), and the only well-used online marketplace is Dutch (marktplaats). Even though the Dutch are famed for cycling everywhere, I've found many more options, at many more levels, for expat cycling groups, as well as running, skiing (fair enough, you can't ski in the Dutch mountains!), and all kinds of other activities here than I ever did in The Hague. I mean, I spent several *years* looking for an English-language poetry club in DH (ended up trekking out to A'dam for one), and in the first month here, I found two (2!) different English-language poetry clubs. I also did not even see a sailing excursion organized by/for expats in the entire time in NL, despite the country's maritime history, and yet here in land-locked Geneva, lo and behold, just search glocals for sailing. ;-)

Now I don't know if The Hague would've been better if I'd been a native, but for an expat, it was pretty slim pickings for things to do. People complain of the clubs in Geneva? There aren't any proper clubs *at all* in The Hague - a couple bars on The Plein and Grote Markt have tiny dancefloors set up, but the only decently-sized (and utterly decrepit) club shut down a few years back. Also, if you don't like 80's/90's/disco style, well, that's pretty much all that was on offer unless you went to Amsterdam. Here, the first club I walked into played an excellent of modern songs - I felt like I was back Stateside (or in a lesser London club, I guess).

So yeah, a place is partly what you make of it - you can sit alone in your flat in the heart of London and conclude that it's a "boring" place to live. But if you compare the options on offer, just a count of activities, there is a heck of a lot going on in/around Geneva, especially for the expats, and I think that some perspective is warranted.

TL;DR: if you think Geneva is boring, remember it's only 250k inhabitants and many other, similarly-sized (or even bigger) cities have a *lot* less to offer, esepcially for expats.

I find this topic less-than-boring because it's something that you can actually measure: you could easily divide the number of public events by residents (or even further, by event type, for getting a "variety" metric).

I think that some places do, obviously, have more going on than others. There's no question that some cities (London, NYC, Tokyo, etc.) simply have more things on offer (more theatres, museums, movie-houses, etc.) than others. However, as an expat, I have found the expat community here in Geneva to be quite vibrant. Glocals itself is phenomenonal - I've found an actually useful classifieds section as well as events/activities of all kinds.

I think people forget that, in many ways, Geneva is a glorified village. It has only 250,000 or so inhabitants, and while it offers many services/events like a bigger city, its still not equal to one. In a way, it's a victim of its own success.

I have spent time in a few large cities, and specifically I can compare/contrast Geneva with another Calvinist city of a similar stripe: The Hague (brought to my mind by the above poster). The two are both meccas for expat diplomats/NGOs, with nearly the same % expat (Den Haag: 48% of ~500k and Geneva 46% of ~250k, from the last stats I found), and I have to say that for being literally half the size, the commnunity in Geneva is twice as active. 

There is nothing equivalent to glocals in NL (Internations tries, but people use it mainly as a way to go out for dinner/drinks, and little more), and the only well-used online marketplace is Dutch (marktplaats). Even though the Dutch are famed for cycling everywhere, I've found many more options, at many more levels, for expat cycling groups, as well as running, skiing (fair enough, you can't ski in the Dutch mountains!), and all kinds of other activities here than I ever did in The Hague. I mean, I spent several *years* looking for an English-language poetry club in DH (ended up trekking out to A'dam for one), and in the first month here, I found two (2!) different English-language poetry clubs. I also did not even see a sailing excursion organized by/for expats in the entire time in NL, despite the country's maritime history, and yet here in land-locked Geneva, lo and behold, just search glocals for sailing. ;-)

Now I don't know if The Hague would've been better if I'd been a native, but for an expat, it was pretty slim pickings for things to do. People complain of the clubs in Geneva? There aren't any proper clubs *at all* in The Hague - a couple bars on The Plein and Grote Markt have tiny dancefloors set up, but the only decently-sized (and utterly decrepit) club shut down a few years back. Also, if you don't like 80's/90's/disco style, well, that's pretty much all that was on offer unless you went to Amsterdam. Here, the first club I walked into played an excellent of modern songs - I felt like I was back Stateside (or in a lesser London club, I guess).

So yeah, a place is partly what you make of it - you can sit alone in your flat in the heart of London and conclude that it's a "boring" place to live. But if you compare the options on offer, just a count of activities, there is a heck of a lot going on in/around Geneva, especially for the expats, and I think that some perspective is warranted.

TL;DR: if you think Geneva is boring, remember it's only 250k inhabitants and many other, similarly-sized (or even bigger) cities have a *lot* less to offer, esepcially for expats.

Steve A, Jun 3, 2013 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

Hey Cristina,

If you're truly bored, here's an idea - how about organising a Glocals trip to Milano? Tongue out

Hey Cristina,

If you're truly bored, here's an idea - how about organising a Glocals trip to Milano? Tongue out

Arun K V, Jun 3, 2013 @ 19:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Jun 3, 13 16:26

That is actually  not true as I moved to San Francisco at age 26. It was more exciting than the city I've lived in before. The Hague is comparable to Geneva in terms of being a city for bureaucrats and small. You moved from Amsterdam to The Hague.. That is maybe the reason why it was slightly boring. I know people who commute every day from Amsterdam (where they live) to The Hague (where they work) because The Hague is too quiet and Amsterdam certainly is not.  I am sure, some people here would do the same if there was a bigger city around which is not the case. I'd rather commute an hour or more every day to live in a cooler city. 

In addition, people tend to settle at a later stage in bigger cities and for some reasons they are stil more socially involved. In fact, I am. 

Geneva is indeed more a place for families. It is known as such a place. So, it doesn't offer the same hustle and bustle for 20 or 30 somethings. 

But indeed, for hustle and bustle likers (such as me), it is required to change in Geneva to enjoy it or to move.

That is actually  not true as I moved to San Francisco at age 26. It was more exciting than the city I've lived in before. The Hague is comparable to Geneva in terms of being a city for bureaucrats and small. You moved from Amsterdam to The Hague.. That is maybe the reason why it was slightly boring. I know people who commute every day from Amsterdam (where they live) to The Hague (where they work) because The Hague is too quiet and Amsterdam certainly is not.  I am sure, some people here would do the same if there was a bigger city around which is not the case. I'd rather commute an hour or more every day to live in a cooler city. 

In addition, people tend to settle at a later stage in bigger cities and for some reasons they are stil more socially involved. In fact, I am. 

Geneva is indeed more a place for families. It is known as such a place. So, it doesn't offer the same hustle and bustle for 20 or 30 somethings. 

But indeed, for hustle and bustle likers (such as me), it is required to change in Geneva to enjoy it or to move.

Hanna S, Jun 6, 2013 @ 09:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

You have to remember that Geneva is very small. references to 300,000 or 400,000 people is misleading. A third of residents are temporary - say up to five years max and therefore do not have a positive impact on the life of the city.  Of those left maybe 50'000 live in the cantonmin stead of the city and from, what is left, probably a third are old and therefore no longer 'cool'

For a small town Geneva is incredible.

Please do not check these figures as the result will show that there are less than 100'000 citizens.  But the idea is correct.

You have to remember that Geneva is very small. references to 300,000 or 400,000 people is misleading. A third of residents are temporary - say up to five years max and therefore do not have a positive impact on the life of the city.  Of those left maybe 50'000 live in the cantonmin stead of the city and from, what is left, probably a third are old and therefore no longer 'cool'

For a small town Geneva is incredible.

Please do not check these figures as the result will show that there are less than 100'000 citizens.  But the idea is correct.

Paul E, Jun 10, 2013 @ 13:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

Well if you know the right place to go around Geneva, it won't be so boring anymore.

Well if you know the right place to go around Geneva, it won't be so boring anymore.

svetlana scoup, Jun 11, 2013 @ 10:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

Because it is boring walking in the street at 2 am without fearing for your life every time someone else walks towards you in the opposite direction

Because breathing clean air is sooooooo boring. Isn’t I fun trying to guess what toxic fumes you are inhaling as you walk down the street or stick your head out the window?

Because no one beats you with a cane if you are a woman and are not covered from head to toe.

Because you can kiss in public without getting a free stay at the local prison.

Because when you go to a movie theater, no one walks in with an AK-47 and starts spraying bullets.

Because I am still waiting for the next tornado, hurricane, monsoon, tsunami (darn Lake Geneva, when are we going to get a good tsunami?).

Because swimming in the lake without bumping into garbage or old tires or worrying about sharks is soooooo boring. And not finding yourself covered with a rash afterwards and wondering what toxic chemical you have been exposed to: boooooring.

Because you don’t get stopped by friendly locals at night who ask you for a contribution to their drug habit at knifepoint.

Because you don’t get to worry about your kids playing with guns, getting easy access to drugs or going out graffiti-writing with their crew of wanna-be gangsters.

Because I can go to school without a deranged kid shooting at us. Oh how I miss Santa Monica college, and Columbine.

Because loud noise is so exciting. No boom boxes when you sit in the park or by the lake, how boring! No low riders with big loud bass noises filling the air as they drive by….

Because what is the fun of eating a burger without finding glass in it, or wondering if it is made with dog meat.

Because when you don’t get the thrill of driving into some neighborhoods and not know whether you will be able to drive out in one piece.

Because I miss being sued by someone because he did not like the way I looked at him and it made him spill his coffee on his pants.

Because no police shoot water cannons and rubber pellets at you for demonstrating in front of the Palais de Nations.

Because it is so boring having to decide what to eat for lunch, instead of getting the thrill of not knowing when you will eat next.

Because the Genevois idea of resolving political differences is holding a referendum instead of forming armed warring factions. Ho Hum, I am falling asleep already.

Because the only explosions you hear are from fireworks, how boring is that?

Because when you drive to Laussane you don’t have any IED’s to look forward to, only speed cameras.

Because driving is boring without the excitement of being stopped by an LAPD or NYPD patrol car and being beaten senseless for having a different skin color or speaking with an accent, or at least getting the thrill of watching such incidents if you are the right skin color or speak without an accent.

Because the most serious infectious disease you are likely to get around here is a cold. What about a little outbreak of Ebola, or cholera, every once in a while?

Because when you go to a soccer game, there is no hooligan-provided “after match” entertainment….

Because when you go skiing, you only have the same dozens of first class resorts to go to every year, and you can only ski downwards.

Because no one goes on strike! What is the fun of going to the train station or the airport, knowing that you will leave, and more or less on time.

Because you wake up knowing your Swiss franc is going to buy you more euros or US dollars. No guess work there. Boooooring!

Because Swiss drug cartels sell vaccines, pharmaceuticals and medications. What is the fun in that?

Because the biggest danger posed by Swiss army knives is that the corkscrew will not work on the twist-off cap of a cheap California wine. Hum? I think I am running out of arguments. This is getting boring.

Because it is boring walking in the street at 2 am without fearing for your life every time someone else walks towards you in the opposite direction

Because breathing clean air is sooooooo boring. Isn’t I fun trying to guess what toxic fumes you are inhaling as you walk down the street or stick your head out the window?

Because no one beats you with a cane if you are a woman and are not covered from head to toe.

Because you can kiss in public without getting a free stay at the local prison.

Because when you go to a movie theater, no one walks in with an AK-47 and starts spraying bullets.

Because I am still waiting for the next tornado, hurricane, monsoon, tsunami (darn Lake Geneva, when are we going to get a good tsunami?).

Because swimming in the lake without bumping into garbage or old tires or worrying about sharks is soooooo boring. And not finding yourself covered with a rash afterwards and wondering what toxic chemical you have been exposed to: boooooring.

Because you don’t get stopped by friendly locals at night who ask you for a contribution to their drug habit at knifepoint.

Because you don’t get to worry about your kids playing with guns, getting easy access to drugs or going out graffiti-writing with their crew of wanna-be gangsters.

Because I can go to school without a deranged kid shooting at us. Oh how I miss Santa Monica college, and Columbine.

Because loud noise is so exciting. No boom boxes when you sit in the park or by the lake, how boring! No low riders with big loud bass noises filling the air as they drive by….

Because what is the fun of eating a burger without finding glass in it, or wondering if it is made with dog meat.

Because when you don’t get the thrill of driving into some neighborhoods and not know whether you will be able to drive out in one piece.

Because I miss being sued by someone because he did not like the way I looked at him and it made him spill his coffee on his pants.

Because no police shoot water cannons and rubber pellets at you for demonstrating in front of the Palais de Nations.

Because it is so boring having to decide what to eat for lunch, instead of getting the thrill of not knowing when you will eat next.

Because the Genevois idea of resolving political differences is holding a referendum instead of forming armed warring factions. Ho Hum, I am falling asleep already.

Because the only explosions you hear are from fireworks, how boring is that?

Because when you drive to Laussane you don’t have any IED’s to look forward to, only speed cameras.

Because driving is boring without the excitement of being stopped by an LAPD or NYPD patrol car and being beaten senseless for having a different skin color or speaking with an accent, or at least getting the thrill of watching such incidents if you are the right skin color or speak without an accent.

Because the most serious infectious disease you are likely to get around here is a cold. What about a little outbreak of Ebola, or cholera, every once in a while?

Because when you go to a soccer game, there is no hooligan-provided “after match” entertainment….

Because when you go skiing, you only have the same dozens of first class resorts to go to every year, and you can only ski downwards.

Because no one goes on strike! What is the fun of going to the train station or the airport, knowing that you will leave, and more or less on time.

Because you wake up knowing your Swiss franc is going to buy you more euros or US dollars. No guess work there. Boooooring!

Because Swiss drug cartels sell vaccines, pharmaceuticals and medications. What is the fun in that?

Because the biggest danger posed by Swiss army knives is that the corkscrew will not work on the twist-off cap of a cheap California wine. Hum? I think I am running out of arguments. This is getting boring.

JR M, Jun 11, 2013 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

All those bored expats in Geneva, I almost feel sorry for them.

It seems they don’t know what to do with their spare time, besides complaining and talking about better places to live. It would be an excellent idea for them to start learning French.  First of all this will provide them a time consuming occupation and second they will finally be able to take part of real life in Geneva.

Strange enough at their arrival, many expats start with some French lessons, but after a while they don’t have time anymore…..

All those bored expats in Geneva, I almost feel sorry for them.

It seems they don’t know what to do with their spare time, besides complaining and talking about better places to live. It would be an excellent idea for them to start learning French.  First of all this will provide them a time consuming occupation and second they will finally be able to take part of real life in Geneva.

Strange enough at their arrival, many expats start with some French lessons, but after a while they don’t have time anymore…..

Jack B, Jun 11, 2013 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

Boring not boring, life is just simply what you make it. I have been lucky enough to work on 2 different continents, and travel in Europe and USA. I love Frisco, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Paris, Geneva, Milano etc... As it was stated in a previous post, expatriates need to adjust to their new country living style, and should not expect to feel like home. I know Geneva and I would not say it is a boring city, as I would not say it is as dynamic as NYC either but I am confident I will enjoy my time there. Come with an open mind, talk to the people who know the town, meet with Genevians, set up your own events, and meet up as often as possible. I did not spend a lot of time on the forum but I would say there is a lot to do and a lot to be set up if you want to get to know people and have fun

Boring not boring, life is just simply what you make it. I have been lucky enough to work on 2 different continents, and travel in Europe and USA. I love Frisco, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Paris, Geneva, Milano etc... As it was stated in a previous post, expatriates need to adjust to their new country living style, and should not expect to feel like home. I know Geneva and I would not say it is a boring city, as I would not say it is as dynamic as NYC either but I am confident I will enjoy my time there. Come with an open mind, talk to the people who know the town, meet with Genevians, set up your own events, and meet up as often as possible. I did not spend a lot of time on the forum but I would say there is a lot to do and a lot to be set up if you want to get to know people and have fun

Frederic L, Jun 11, 2013 @ 20:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 51

If you want to know what boring is, you should try living here  in London.

I mean, there is no decent place anywhere near to go for a decent  hike, no mountains, no vias ferrata. A walk in Hyde Park is about as good as it gets, and the views from Primrose Park are pitiful.

No place to do any decent sailing, kayaking or diving, unless you want to try your luck in that yucky polluted flueve of the river Thames. 

What are you supposed to do in Winter? No place to ski anywhere near!

The food sucks, no place to get a decent fondue or rosti or some terrine. A yorkie bar or a flake is no substitute for real chocolate. This place needs some decent pattisserie...And who wants to eat in a dark pub with all those rowdy people around you.

If you want to go for a quiet walk at night, the streets are full of people (don't they ever get some sleep?). It is always noisy, I can't sleep with the windows of my bedroom open. And the neighbors are so inconsiderate. Washing clothes after 10 pm. Really!

Sure, sure, there is great theater, and concerts and movie theaters, and parties, and drinking in the street in front of the pub, if you are into that kind of juvenile stuff,  and the stores are open until late (at least there is no Sunday trading in the suburbs and the rest of the country, but London is so awfully crowded.

And in reality, it is just a glorified collection of small villages.

The buses and tube trains never run on time.

Ah, what is a swiss expat to do? Sure, it helps to learn to speak english well, but the english are so reserved anyway..... it is hard to make friends with them.

If you want to know what boring is, you should try living here  in London.

I mean, there is no decent place anywhere near to go for a decent  hike, no mountains, no vias ferrata. A walk in Hyde Park is about as good as it gets, and the views from Primrose Park are pitiful.

No place to do any decent sailing, kayaking or diving, unless you want to try your luck in that yucky polluted flueve of the river Thames. 

What are you supposed to do in Winter? No place to ski anywhere near!

The food sucks, no place to get a decent fondue or rosti or some terrine. A yorkie bar or a flake is no substitute for real chocolate. This place needs some decent pattisserie...And who wants to eat in a dark pub with all those rowdy people around you.

If you want to go for a quiet walk at night, the streets are full of people (don't they ever get some sleep?). It is always noisy, I can't sleep with the windows of my bedroom open. And the neighbors are so inconsiderate. Washing clothes after 10 pm. Really!

Sure, sure, there is great theater, and concerts and movie theaters, and parties, and drinking in the street in front of the pub, if you are into that kind of juvenile stuff,  and the stores are open until late (at least there is no Sunday trading in the suburbs and the rest of the country, but London is so awfully crowded.

And in reality, it is just a glorified collection of small villages.

The buses and tube trains never run on time.

Ah, what is a swiss expat to do? Sure, it helps to learn to speak english well, but the english are so reserved anyway..... it is hard to make friends with them.

JR M, Jun 12, 2013 @ 11:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 52
Why not start making Geneva an even more interesting place by posting more interesting forum threads?
Why not start making Geneva an even more interesting place by posting more interesting forum threads?
rena, Jun 12, 2013 @ 12:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 53
Jun 12, 13 12:46

Smne had a bacon sandwich this morning... ;o))  JT.

JulianT, Jun 12, 2013 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 54

Hi,

I always agree with you,but between the" normal life" beautiful place you can go to every week end you forgot ITALY.....

i'm so jealous you are leaving from here.....are you going back to our United States?

Hi,

I always agree with you,but between the" normal life" beautiful place you can go to every week end you forgot ITALY.....

i'm so jealous you are leaving from here.....are you going back to our United States?

Bluette, Jun 12, 2013 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 55

Jun 12, 13 13:27

Bacon! Where? Tell me now Smile

I do believe that if there was more really good bacon in Geneva, there would be a lot less complaining about life in general.

Bacon! Where? Tell me now Smile

I do believe that if there was more really good bacon in Geneva, there would be a lot less complaining about life in general.

Fionnuala O, Jun 12, 2013 @ 13:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 56

ohh,

my answer was for Hanna S.

hi Hanna what's up?

ohh,

my answer was for Hanna S.

hi Hanna what's up?

Bluette, Jun 12, 2013 @ 13:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 57

Charlie, Jun 12, 2013 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 58

Hi,

Jun 12, 13 13:29

Yes, San Francisco :)

Yes, San Francisco :)

Hanna S, Jun 13, 2013 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 59

I am so bloody bored with this boring subject !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robert m, Jun 13, 2013 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 60

First of all I must say that I am not against expats and work with many multinational companies so I can't complain about that but there are some simple facts which should be mentioned once and for all.

Unfortunately, you guys have contributed to make this city boring.

Why?

Because, over the years, Geneva has become very successful and attracted many people from all over the world leading the flat and commercial rentals to rise to skyscraping heights. 

As a result many popular cafés, independant cinemas, bookshops, etc have closed down. 

They were replaced by "hype" fashion shops, wine bars, 3D cinema complexes, etc. 

Now if you want something "authentic" and chill out without spending your monthly budget you have to take your car and go to Lausanne.

First of all I must say that I am not against expats and work with many multinational companies so I can't complain about that but there are some simple facts which should be mentioned once and for all.

Unfortunately, you guys have contributed to make this city boring.

Why?

Because, over the years, Geneva has become very successful and attracted many people from all over the world leading the flat and commercial rentals to rise to skyscraping heights. 

As a result many popular cafés, independant cinemas, bookshops, etc have closed down. 

They were replaced by "hype" fashion shops, wine bars, 3D cinema complexes, etc. 

Now if you want something "authentic" and chill out without spending your monthly budget you have to take your car and go to Lausanne.

Richard B, Jun 13, 2013 @ 21:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 61

Jun 13, 13 21:02

this was not a helpful comment..

Hanna S, Jun 13, 2013 @ 22:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 62

Jun 13, 13 22:34

Bloody funny though!

Bloody funny though!

Rich, Jun 13, 2013 @ 22:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 63

Agreed :-0 on the bloody funny though!

Agreed :-0 on the bloody funny though!

Frederic L, Jun 13, 2013 @ 22:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 64

Cristina - maybe because expatriates come to forums about how to have fun and a life, and ask boring pretentious questions? At least I hope this helped you to get some attention and people to do stuff with in the future. 

Cristina - maybe because expatriates come to forums about how to have fun and a life, and ask boring pretentious questions? At least I hope this helped you to get some attention and people to do stuff with in the future. 

Helen P, Jun 13, 2013 @ 23:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 65

Jun 13, 13 23:45

You need to relax darling... :) 

I don't need attentions, I get enough. Thank you.  

We are all different and free to find something boring or exciting.  I love differences, they help to be better.

You need to relax darling... :) 

I don't need attentions, I get enough. Thank you.  

We are all different and free to find something boring or exciting.  I love differences, they help to be better.

Cristina C, Jun 14, 2013 @ 00:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 66

Jun 13, 13 22:34

Oh Hanna, why so serious  Laughing ????

robert m, Jun 14, 2013 @ 07:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 67

Look, this is simple wether you are in Geneva, Paris, Berlin or Timbuktu for all I care, if you are bored then it is a problem about YOU and not where you are geographically...  You make up your own reality and destiny in life, do not expect life to grab you by the hand and take you to the promised land, you have to seek it out ...

Look, this is simple wether you are in Geneva, Paris, Berlin or Timbuktu for all I care, if you are bored then it is a problem about YOU and not where you are geographically...  You make up your own reality and destiny in life, do not expect life to grab you by the hand and take you to the promised land, you have to seek it out ...

robert m, Jun 14, 2013 @ 07:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 68

Cristina, if you are not happy, you are most welcome to leave. You should read carefully Robert's M last post. I cannot support people talking such a things about "my"city. (I live here ower 10years). It all depends on YOUR attitude.I'm missing frees weekends to do all I want, meet all my friends... You should think twice before saying something like that again. Bon voyage.

Cristina, if you are not happy, you are most welcome to leave. You should read carefully Robert's M last post. I cannot support people talking such a things about "my"city. (I live here ower 10years). It all depends on YOUR attitude.I'm missing frees weekends to do all I want, meet all my friends... You should think twice before saying something like that again. Bon voyage.

Martyna S, Jun 14, 2013 @ 07:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 69

Jun 14, 13 07:21

It is just funny that people keep on posting this topic is so boring, but nonetheless, apparently have the time and take the effort to post... 

It is just funny that people keep on posting this topic is so boring, but nonetheless, apparently have the time and take the effort to post... 

Hanna S, Jun 14, 2013 @ 08:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 70

Jun 14, 13 08:11

oh gosh you really are a serious person !!!Surprised

oh gosh you really are a serious person !!!Surprised

robert m, Jun 14, 2013 @ 09:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 71

At this point, I'm sure we Genevans know there will always be a Cristina to post this topic. Its just sad (for her) that she has not found her Geneva experience a fun one.  I agree with Robert M., I think one should make the most out of any and every opportunity life throws your way. If she does not see this maybe the problem runs deeper and its not because she does not like Geneva, but maybe she just does not like herself... :)

At this point, I'm sure we Genevans know there will always be a Cristina to post this topic. Its just sad (for her) that she has not found her Geneva experience a fun one.  I agree with Robert M., I think one should make the most out of any and every opportunity life throws your way. If she does not see this maybe the problem runs deeper and its not because she does not like Geneva, but maybe she just does not like herself... :)

xanderking, Jun 14, 2013 @ 09:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 72

Sorry could not resist....ho hum

robert m, Jun 14, 2013 @ 09:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 73

Jun 14, 13 09:18

Happy for you! I have never said I hate Geneva... I feel free to think its boring and I m happy if someone suggest me a different point of view! I m not bored and I m in peace with myself so pease stop this kind of personal judgments when you don't know someone. 

Moreover I don't understand why waste your time to write that.

Perception of things depends on background and expectations. Maybe I just had too much before coming here? Possible.

There are things that I like to do in Geneva, but by my point of view in this city there is a lot of potential not well managed. 

I just met all the time people thinking the same as me, they like to live here but they don't think there is anything exciting to do, and they are used to travel every weekend to escape. So I'm surprised to read all this posts because I'm really not one of the most negative people around, just need to remember me everyday that its a village and not big city. It's a good think love the place where you live, but hoping it should be better is good too.

Happy for you! I have never said I hate Geneva... I feel free to think its boring and I m happy if someone suggest me a different point of view! I m not bored and I m in peace with myself so pease stop this kind of personal judgments when you don't know someone. 

Moreover I don't understand why waste your time to write that.

Perception of things depends on background and expectations. Maybe I just had too much before coming here? Possible.

There are things that I like to do in Geneva, but by my point of view in this city there is a lot of potential not well managed. 

I just met all the time people thinking the same as me, they like to live here but they don't think there is anything exciting to do, and they are used to travel every weekend to escape. So I'm surprised to read all this posts because I'm really not one of the most negative people around, just need to remember me everyday that its a village and not big city. It's a good think love the place where you live, but hoping it should be better is good too.

Cristina C, Jun 14, 2013 @ 10:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 74

I'm an expact who likes Geneva a lot...!

Nevertheless, I must say: if the city is not boring: why we all spend so much time in glocals, trying to find a hundred things to do, to fill up our spare time?

I'm an expact who likes Geneva a lot...!

Nevertheless, I must say: if the city is not boring: why we all spend so much time in glocals, trying to find a hundred things to do, to fill up our spare time?

marianela g, Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 75

Hey Cristina, 

Don't worry about some of the posts here. Each time someone brings up the topic of "boring Geneva", some other people see it as their sign to write how interesting Geneva is for them, hinting that they're great at taking opportunities and making the most of everything, while others aren't.

Our affinity to the city is a personal thing. Even if everyone makes the same efforts, some people find Geneva boring, others don't.

Nir

Hey Cristina, 

Don't worry about some of the posts here. Each time someone brings up the topic of "boring Geneva", some other people see it as their sign to write how interesting Geneva is for them, hinting that they're great at taking opportunities and making the most of everything, while others aren't.

Our affinity to the city is a personal thing. Even if everyone makes the same efforts, some people find Geneva boring, others don't.

Nir

Nir Ofek, Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 76

Xanderking: surely you're not serious. Your conclusion of "if someone doesn't like Geneva, they don't like themselves" is just silly. Different people love different things. Some will love Geneva, others won't, and there ain't nothing wrong with either. 

Xanderking: surely you're not serious. Your conclusion of "if someone doesn't like Geneva, they don't like themselves" is just silly. Different people love different things. Some will love Geneva, others won't, and there ain't nothing wrong with either. 

Nir Ofek, Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 77

I'll go to a karaoke place this evening with a friend - hopefully that won't be boring. ;) We are meeting at 8pm in front of the Starbucks near the train station (here: http://goo.gl/maps/Kkok7). 

We might (will) go for a drink somewhere before heading to the Karaoke just to loosen up the nerves ha ha! :D

Anyone is welcome to join! :)

Lily

I'll go to a karaoke place this evening with a friend - hopefully that won't be boring. ;) We are meeting at 8pm in front of the Starbucks near the train station (here: http://goo.gl/maps/Kkok7). 

We might (will) go for a drink somewhere before heading to the Karaoke just to loosen up the nerves ha ha! :D

Anyone is welcome to join! :)

Lily
Lily B, Jun 14, 2013 @ 13:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 78

And y'all know where to come party tomorrow (Saturday, June 15) night, right?

At the big Beach Party!

And y'all know where to come party tomorrow (Saturday, June 15) night, right?

At the big Beach Party!

Nir Ofek, Jun 14, 2013 @ 13:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 79

Well, I know I am too new here in Geneva ( just 5 months) for leaving a comment on this thread, but.... for sure Geneva it s not such a vibrant place. At least compared to other cities where I lived in the past. I agree with you Nir, regarding the fact that the affinity with a city is a personal thing, but it s also a matter of standards base on our previous experiences :)

Well, I know I am too new here in Geneva ( just 5 months) for leaving a comment on this thread, but.... for sure Geneva it s not such a vibrant place. At least compared to other cities where I lived in the past. I agree with you Nir, regarding the fact that the affinity with a city is a personal thing, but it s also a matter of standards base on our previous experiences :)

Giampaolo Arghittu, Jun 14, 2013 @ 13:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 80

Oh yes, the same party every year at the same date, How boring Cool!!!

Oh yes, the same party every year at the same date, How boring Cool!!!

Alexa T, Jun 14, 2013 @ 13:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 81

Hi Nir,

talking about glocals now,

I see lately there's not much to do ",the usual party" where it's really hard to get to know people for the loud music,for the extremely high number of people and so on...

one of the few activity I really found appropiate and interesting, and where I met in the past some nice people was the new members drink.

This activity since 2 or more months is disappeared,I tried to contact the organiser,but SHE never gave me an answer.....how nice...

What's happened to the" new members drink"?

Hi Nir,

talking about glocals now,

I see lately there's not much to do ",the usual party" where it's really hard to get to know people for the loud music,for the extremely high number of people and so on...

one of the few activity I really found appropiate and interesting, and where I met in the past some nice people was the new members drink.

This activity since 2 or more months is disappeared,I tried to contact the organiser,but SHE never gave me an answer.....how nice...

What's happened to the" new members drink"?

Bluette, Jun 14, 2013 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 82

Thanks Nir, I don't mind, everyone is free to express himself ... But with respect!

People who love themselves are not so aggressive for sure... If they react this way what they do when they have serious problems?? 

Unfortunately I'll be in Basel for the weekend.... No beach party, but waiting for the next!!! Always lot of fun there!! :)

Btw I ve been at the pool party... Was really nice, hope you'll organize another one! Many friends were wandering to join!!!

Thanks Nir, I don't mind, everyone is free to express himself ... But with respect!

People who love themselves are not so aggressive for sure... If they react this way what they do when they have serious problems?? 

Unfortunately I'll be in Basel for the weekend.... No beach party, but waiting for the next!!! Always lot of fun there!! :)

Btw I ve been at the pool party... Was really nice, hope you'll organize another one! Many friends were wandering to join!!!

Cristina C, Jun 14, 2013 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 83

Jun 14, 13 09:51

Hi Robert,

If you were so happy, balanced etc, I doubt you would feel the need for posting such comments, especially as you don't know me. However, if it makes you feel better - yes I am leaving. Weird that the fact that a stranger leaves Geneva affects you at all though. But good for you :).

And the others who seem to be so offended because of the expression of a subjective feeling about Geneva, why do you take it so personally? The people who said they believe Geneva is boring didn't post any offensive posts. Those who defend Geneva oftentimes do.

My reason to post about it is that people who might face the decision of whether to move to Geneva or not might find find it helpful to read about other people's experiences. Before I made the decision to come to Geneva I also read some postings on this forum. However, while I read that people thought Geneva was boring, I just didn't know what it means, because it doesn't mean there is nothing to do.  

Anyhow, there are good things about Geneva which I recognize and mentioned (so don't feel offended), but Geneva remains a very small city/village that is maybe a better fit for families or people who like small cities. I guess I was spoiled with Hamburg, Vienna and San Francisco. If I would have lived in less 'fun'cities before moving to Geneva, I might have appreciated it more. But that is not the case. 

And the girls in Geneva are really cool :)

Hi Robert,

If you were so happy, balanced etc, I doubt you would feel the need for posting such comments, especially as you don't know me. However, if it makes you feel better - yes I am leaving. Weird that the fact that a stranger leaves Geneva affects you at all though. But good for you :).

And the others who seem to be so offended because of the expression of a subjective feeling about Geneva, why do you take it so personally? The people who said they believe Geneva is boring didn't post any offensive posts. Those who defend Geneva oftentimes do.

My reason to post about it is that people who might face the decision of whether to move to Geneva or not might find find it helpful to read about other people's experiences. Before I made the decision to come to Geneva I also read some postings on this forum. However, while I read that people thought Geneva was boring, I just didn't know what it means, because it doesn't mean there is nothing to do.  

Anyhow, there are good things about Geneva which I recognize and mentioned (so don't feel offended), but Geneva remains a very small city/village that is maybe a better fit for families or people who like small cities. I guess I was spoiled with Hamburg, Vienna and San Francisco. If I would have lived in less 'fun'cities before moving to Geneva, I might have appreciated it more. But that is not the case. 

And the girls in Geneva are really cool :)

Hanna S, Jun 14, 2013 @ 19:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 84

Christina, Hanna: I agree with you ladies 100%.

Hanna: enjoy your new city!

Nir

Christina, Hanna: I agree with you ladies 100%.

Hanna: enjoy your new city!

Nir

Nir Ofek, Jun 14, 2013 @ 21:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 85

Ha ha ha - that must have been the MOST boring reply EVER.....

Ha ha ha - that must have been the MOST boring reply EVER.....

gordon mcculloch, Jun 11, 2014 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 86

Extremely well said!..am also fed up with people saying that Geneva is boring

Extremely well said!..am also fed up with people saying that Geneva is boring

Pixie, Jun 11, 2014 @ 17:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 87

Oh no, I hope this discussion won't open up again. If it does, here's how it's likely to go (based on every other "Geneva is boring" thread I've seen):

- someone will say Geneva is boring

- someone else will attack the poster in return, saying Geneva is what you make of it, how dare the poster say his host city is boring, bla bla bla

- the poster will say "hey, it's a personal view thing, why are you getting all excited, don't take it as an attack on your self"

- the someone else will say "I love Geneva, I can't believe you think it's boring, it's not"

- the thread will calm down for a few months, and then erupt again with the same dynamics

Oh no, I hope this discussion won't open up again. If it does, here's how it's likely to go (based on every other "Geneva is boring" thread I've seen):

- someone else will attack the poster in return, saying Geneva is what you make of it, how dare the poster say his host city is boring, bla bla bla

- the poster will say "hey, it's a personal view thing, why are you getting all excited, don't take it as an attack on your self"

- the someone else will say "I love Geneva, I can't believe you think it's boring, it's not"

- the thread will calm down for a few months, and then erupt again with the same dynamics

Nir Ofek, Jun 11, 2014 @ 17:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 88

This topic is back every year, so it s a fact, this city is boring for many peoples. 

Regardless all activities this city has to offer (outdoor, cultural scene, nightlife), I can imagine why those people feel that way, as it s not easy here to find friend.

Go to a pub, lounge, club alone and sit at the bar, you will probably spend the whole night by yourself. 

Go to a glocals, internations or any expacts meetings, after being asked hundred times same questions you will feel like Bill Murray in the movie "groundhog day" and ask yoursefl what am I doing here. It s quiete frustating. 

Cultural scene : every thing is in french and it s almost impossible to find information. 

I m in Geneva for 10 years and I promise I m not masochist, I just found a nice balance between professional satisfaction, life standar, dynamism, comfort and activities that I didn't find in London, Paris, Lyon, Barcelona, Vienna or Saigon. 

This topic is back every year, so it s a fact, this city is boring for many peoples. 

Regardless all activities this city has to offer (outdoor, cultural scene, nightlife), I can imagine why those people feel that way, as it s not easy here to find friend.

Go to a pub, lounge, club alone and sit at the bar, you will probably spend the whole night by yourself. 

Go to a glocals, internations or any expacts meetings, after being asked hundred times same questions you will feel like Bill Murray in the movie "groundhog day" and ask yoursefl what am I doing here. It s quiete frustating. 

Cultural scene : every thing is in french and it s almost impossible to find information. 

I m in Geneva for 10 years and I promise I m not masochist, I just found a nice balance between professional satisfaction, life standar, dynamism, comfort and activities that I didn't find in London, Paris, Lyon, Barcelona, Vienna or Saigon. 

Tryky, Jun 11, 2014 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 89

YessssssssSmile

YessssssssSmile

Sari W, Jun 11, 2014 @ 18:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 90

Jun 11, 14 17:51

Nir:

Plus ça change,  plus c’est la même chose

(The more things change, the more they stay the same).

That’s life – and also Geneva.

Best, R.

Nir:

Plus ça change,  plus c’est la même chose

(The more things change, the more they stay the same).

That’s life – and also Geneva.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Jun 11, 2014 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 91

Well, you just can't have it both ways: either you loath peace and security, or you love it!

No one city will offer both, so you gotta choose. But then , please don't complain !!!

Well, you just can't have it both ways: either you loath peace and security, or you love it!

No one city will offer both, so you gotta choose. But then , please don't complain !!!

hay_, Jun 13, 2014 @ 20:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 92

Guys, you create your own reality in life !!!  I love Geneva, so much to do all the time and see. 

I am not sure what some of you are searching and hoping for, this is a good as it gets, i personnaly do not wish for a city to ressemble Grand Theft Auto in order to find some 'excitement' in life.  if you want crazy wacky and non stop night life then go to bloody Ibiza !

As some famous guy once said, your lack of depth and perception perturbs me...

catch my drift ?

ON a last bitter note, if you dont like then F*** off, pardon my French

Guys, you create your own reality in life !!!  I love Geneva, so much to do all the time and see. 

I am not sure what some of you are searching and hoping for, this is a good as it gets, i personnaly do not wish for a city to ressemble Grand Theft Auto in order to find some 'excitement' in life.  if you want crazy wacky and non stop night life then go to bloody Ibiza !

As some famous guy once said, your lack of depth and perception perturbs me...

catch my drift ?

ON a last bitter note, if you dont like then F*** off, pardon my French

robert m, Jun 13, 2014 @ 21:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 93

Jun 11, 14 17:51

I bet you weren't expecting to be proved right so quickly.

I bet you weren't expecting to be proved right so quickly.

Andy C, Jun 14, 2014 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 94

Andy: you're 100% right...(-; The funny thing is that this Robert M guy thanked me for the post, then went right on the play the exact stereotype I was mocking...

Andy: you're 100% right...(-; The funny thing is that this Robert M guy thanked me for the post, then went right on the play the exact stereotype I was mocking...

Nir Ofek, Jun 14, 2014 @ 21:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 95

Jun 13, 14 20:43

Hay:

No one loaths security, but it's not true that security has to mean a non-interesting city, which is your main argument.

Besides, I'm not sure Geneva is that secure...

Hay:

No one loaths security, but it's not true that security has to mean a non-interesting city, which is your main argument.

Besides, I'm not sure Geneva is that secure...

Nir Ofek, Jun 14, 2014 @ 21:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 96

Nir knew, as usual, what he was talking about and so did all of us who’ve survived the local boredom for more than 12 months.

Nevertheless, I’m always puzzled as to what exactly those who are bored miss in Geneva.  Is it the raucous laughter spilling out of poky pubs on to the fag-end strewn pavement outside?  Or having a no-holds-barred knees-up that disturbs the entire neighborhood secure in the knowledge that the cops will never have time to call by?.  Or maybe it’s simply the allure of a 24-hour supermarket.

Why don’t the grousers just stop moaning and instead regale us with tales of the delights we gormless Genevan goons don’t know we’re missing.  That way, we could organize yet another petition for yet another referendum which will be yet again refused by yet another narrow majority but at least give rise to yet another boring thread.

Repetitively yours, R.

Nir knew, as usual, what he was talking about and so did all of us who’ve survived the local boredom for more than 12 months.

Nevertheless, I’m always puzzled as to what exactly those who are bored miss in Geneva.  Is it the raucous laughter spilling out of poky pubs on to the fag-end strewn pavement outside?  Or having a no-holds-barred knees-up that disturbs the entire neighborhood secure in the knowledge that the cops will never have time to call by?.  Or maybe it’s simply the allure of a 24-hour supermarket.

Why don’t the grousers just stop moaning and instead regale us with tales of the delights we gormless Genevan goons don’t know we’re missing.  That way, we could organize yet another petition for yet another referendum which will be yet again refused by yet another narrow majority but at least give rise to yet another boring thread.

Repetitively yours, R.

Ritchie, Jun 14, 2014 @ 21:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 97

Hi Everyone,

Just putting in my two cents worth.

Only boring people are bored period ........ no matter where they are and if it wasnt for Nir we wouldnt even be able to express this to everyone.

Just go through all the things to do on glocals and DO THEM !  Stop Complaining.

Geneva is full of Surprises and people you would NEVER meet otherwise in your home city.

If its boring for you then I know you are also the person who LOOKS FOR NO PLACE TO PARK.

Just a gentle rant,

The Cat 

Hi Everyone,

Just putting in my two cents worth.

Only boring people are bored period ........ no matter where they are and if it wasnt for Nir we wouldnt even be able to express this to everyone.

Just go through all the things to do on glocals and DO THEM !  Stop Complaining.

Geneva is full of Surprises and people you would NEVER meet otherwise in your home city.

If its boring for you then I know you are also the person who LOOKS FOR NO PLACE TO PARK.

Just a gentle rant,

The Cat 

Cat D, Jun 15, 2014 @ 01:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 98

Andy C, Jun 15, 2014 @ 01:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 99

Andy C, Jun 15, 2014 @ 02:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 100

There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever.

Viggo Mortensen

One of the most exciting actors on boredom "I tend to get bored quickly, which means I must be boring."

Anthony Hopkins

There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever.

Viggo Mortensen

One of the most exciting actors on boredom "I tend to get bored quickly, which means I must be boring."

Anthony Hopkins

beeps, Jun 15, 2014 @ 15:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 101

If you move to Geneva thinking it's like London, Paris or Barcelona clearly you will be disappointed. it's a 1/4 of the size for a start. Only you can go out and find things that interest you. No one is going to hand them to you on a silver platter, which actually is the same for London, Paris or Barcelona. If you stay home waiting for someone to entertain you, you'll be in those places as well. 

Each person has to go out and look for what interests us and find our place in the city. 

If you move to Geneva thinking it's like London, Paris or Barcelona clearly you will be disappointed. it's a 1/4 of the size for a start. Only you can go out and find things that interest you. No one is going to hand them to you on a silver platter, which actually is the same for London, Paris or Barcelona. If you stay home waiting for someone to entertain you, you'll be in those places as well. 

Each person has to go out and look for what interests us and find our place in the city. 

Mia M, Jun 16, 2014 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 102

Here are my 2 cents.

For its size, I don't think Geneva is boring. I think there are plenty of things to do, especially in the summer.

For me the main problem is lack of people to do them with. 

Families don't complain about Geneva boring because they spend all their time in the suburbs or France in their (comparatively) large houses, tending to their garden, playing with their pets, taking care of their kids. They have their hands full. They will never be 'bored'. I think Geneva is great for families.

However, I'm sure that 100% of the people complaining about being 'bored' do not have their own family.

As a single (especially non-European) person, I find Geneva boring simply because all your friends and peers are always away. They are away visiting their parents, siblings, extended family or friends all over Europe, away for work, or simply taking a vacation. I can guarantee that if you contact 10 of your friends with a random date some months into the future that at least 5 will already tell you they are busy and out of town.

If you go through all the comments on this page you'll also see a divide not only between families/singles (I don't know which group everyone belongs to, but I'm pretty sure there are rarely families complaning about Geneva being boring. It seems that families have plenty of time to write blogs too about how many great family friendly activities one can do here) but also between men and women.

Fact: Women are social creatures and more social than men.

Fact: Men are generally more sporty than women.

Fact: If you want to spend all your free time hiking, via ferrata-ing, skiing, snowboarding, etc, then Geneva is great.

Fact: Most women do not want to spend every weekend doing this and they are more than likely going to do it with their husband/boyfriend, not you.

Fact: Women like eating and shopping, of which Geneva is very expensive and useless for variety.

As a single woman in Geneva life sux. Everybody is only here for their career/job and doesn't even care about the city that much. Everybody (who is also single around your age group) is ALWAYS travelling as there is nothing much to do here alone. 

How many times can you go to restaurant, watch a movie, eat dinner at home... alone? It's boring. How many discount deals can you get for ONE person? none.

In my several years here I've met many friends and nearly ALL of them have moved out of the country. Everyone is totally transient (except the families).

I am not a night club party person. I do not need 24 hour entertainment. I would simply like to find people to do activities with. Yes I know Glocals is great for that and I have used it in the past, but again, people leave the city or go weird on you and never contact you for unknown reasons even though you thought you guys got along well the previous meetings.

Expat magazines, articles, websites always focus on families. It's as if non-families don't exist or don't have 'needs' too. I'm tired of reading about schools and daycare. Life is different when you are not a student either. As a student or intern I get the feeling that people are still in party mode, and more than likely having their parents or school pay for everything, and don't have the stresses and pressures that others who have to pay for everything (in such an expensive city) themselves do.

Where are the articles and support for 25-45 year old working people who come to the city without a family in tow? (or live in a nearby country?) or who aren't erasmus students or interns?

I will pretty much bet that within 5 years' time all the single people writing in this post will not be living here anymore unless they are Swiss or have family or strong ties here or nearby.

I would like to like this place more and stay as long as I can, but I also feel that it's a hard city get ahead in if you are not Swiss or at least EU. Even though this city is so multicultural I don't feel that people are that well integrated. I mean how many famous non-Swiss people (working in any field) can you name that live in Switzerland? Not one I'll bet.  If you are not European you are treated like third class scum.

Also, if you have only one income you'll be stuck in shitty tiny apartment or have to share. What kind of life is that? Apartments are so overpriced here it's not funny.

If you have a great job/salary, a nice decent-sized place, tons of friends and family, any place is a nice place to live but if you don't have these things, ANY place becomes a 'boring' place to live no matter how great and beautiful the mountains and lakes are.

Here are my 2 cents.

For its size, I don't think Geneva is boring. I think there are plenty of things to do, especially in the summer.

For me the main problem is lack of people to do them with. 

Families don't complain about Geneva boring because they spend all their time in the suburbs or France in their (comparatively) large houses, tending to their garden, playing with their pets, taking care of their kids. They have their hands full. They will never be 'bored'. I think Geneva is great for families.

However, I'm sure that 100% of the people complaining about being 'bored' do not have their own family.

As a single (especially non-European) person, I find Geneva boring simply because all your friends and peers are always away. They are away visiting their parents, siblings, extended family or friends all over Europe, away for work, or simply taking a vacation. I can guarantee that if you contact 10 of your friends with a random date some months into the future that at least 5 will already tell you they are busy and out of town.

If you go through all the comments on this page you'll also see a divide not only between families/singles (I don't know which group everyone belongs to, but I'm pretty sure there are rarely families complaning about Geneva being boring. It seems that families have plenty of time to write blogs too about how many great family friendly activities one can do here) but also between men and women.

Fact: Women are social creatures and more social than men.

Fact: Men are generally more sporty than women.

Fact: If you want to spend all your free time hiking, via ferrata-ing, skiing, snowboarding, etc, then Geneva is great.

Fact: Most women do not want to spend every weekend doing this and they are more than likely going to do it with their husband/boyfriend, not you.

Fact: Women like eating and shopping, of which Geneva is very expensive and useless for variety.

As a single woman in Geneva life sux. Everybody is only here for their career/job and doesn't even care about the city that much. Everybody (who is also single around your age group) is ALWAYS travelling as there is nothing much to do here alone. 

How many times can you go to restaurant, watch a movie, eat dinner at home... alone? It's boring. How many discount deals can you get for ONE person? none.

In my several years here I've met many friends and nearly ALL of them have moved out of the country. Everyone is totally transient (except the families).

I am not a night club party person. I do not need 24 hour entertainment. I would simply like to find people to do activities with. Yes I know Glocals is great for that and I have used it in the past, but again, people leave the city or go weird on you and never contact you for unknown reasons even though you thought you guys got along well the previous meetings.

Expat magazines, articles, websites always focus on families. It's as if non-families don't exist or don't have 'needs' too. I'm tired of reading about schools and daycare. Life is different when you are not a student either. As a student or intern I get the feeling that people are still in party mode, and more than likely having their parents or school pay for everything, and don't have the stresses and pressures that others who have to pay for everything (in such an expensive city) themselves do.

Where are the articles and support for 25-45 year old working people who come to the city without a family in tow? (or live in a nearby country?) or who aren't erasmus students or interns?

I will pretty much bet that within 5 years' time all the single people writing in this post will not be living here anymore unless they are Swiss or have family or strong ties here or nearby.

I would like to like this place more and stay as long as I can, but I also feel that it's a hard city get ahead in if you are not Swiss or at least EU. Even though this city is so multicultural I don't feel that people are that well integrated. I mean how many famous non-Swiss people (working in any field) can you name that live in Switzerland? Not one I'll bet.  If you are not European you are treated like third class scum.

Also, if you have only one income you'll be stuck in shitty tiny apartment or have to share. What kind of life is that? Apartments are so overpriced here it's not funny.

If you have a great job/salary, a nice decent-sized place, tons of friends and family, any place is a nice place to live but if you don't have these things, ANY place becomes a 'boring' place to live no matter how great and beautiful the mountains and lakes are.

Linda C, Jun 23, 2014 @ 19:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 103

rena, Jul 5, 2014 @ 17:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 104

Jan 1, 70 01:00

The fact someone thought it's needed to launch a blog called "GenevaIsNotBoring" suggests strongly that a lot of people find Geneva boring...

The fact someone thought it's needed to launch a blog called "GenevaIsNotBoring" suggests strongly that a lot of people find Geneva boring...

Nir Ofek, Jul 5, 2014 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 105

Jul 5, 14 21:56

This shows that a lot of people are just awaiting for entertainement or boy/girlfriend. They don't need help to eat or surfing on internet...., but for the rest....

P.S. Nir, sorry for my comments before, I just get tired 

This shows that a lot of people are just awaiting for entertainement or boy/girlfriend. They don't need help to eat or surfing on internet...., but for the rest....

P.S. Nir, sorry for my comments before, I just get tired 

Jack B, Jul 5, 2014 @ 21:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 106

Jul 5, 14 21:56

I also recommend the following excellents blogs:

www.GenevaIsNotExpensive.com

www.GenevaApartmentHuntingIsEasy.com

www.GenevaRestaurantsAreNotAllThatBadIfYouIgnoreThePriceServiceandQuality.com

www.GenevaWomenAreReallyQuiteRelaxedAboutTheGenderImbalanceAndDontResentHavingToWorkForItALittle.com

I also recommend the following excellents blogs:

www.GenevaIsNotExpensive.com

www.GenevaApartmentHuntingIsEasy.com

www.GenevaRestaurantsAreNotAllThatBadIfYouIgnoreThePriceServiceandQuality.com

www.GenevaWomenAreReallyQuiteRelaxedAboutTheGenderImbalanceAndDontResentHavingToWorkForItALittle.com

Andy C, Jul 6, 2014 @ 08:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 107

dont like GENF ?  Then you know what to do...

dont like GENF ?  Then you know what to do...

robert m, Jul 6, 2014 @ 09:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 108

Jun 1, 13 03:05

I know this is a very old post, but the bit about students is pretty hilarious. We wish our parties lived up to your imagination, but unfortunately students can barely afford to go out at all here. It is ALL free open air days of music (played on someone's laptop because who has the money for speakers?) and tons of people from all walks of life.

I know this is a very old post, but the bit about students is pretty hilarious. We wish our parties lived up to your imagination, but unfortunately students can barely afford to go out at all here. It is ALL free open air days of music (played on someone's laptop because who has the money for speakers?) and tons of people from all walks of life.

E T, Jul 6, 2014 @ 16:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 109

My goodness this thread is long and active. Geneva has a quiet, laid back style, which I appreciate coming from Delhi. But to find connections to stuff, you have to make an effort. In fact, it is that that makes you appreciate the city more - you make an effort to learn about it. Plus, I found some really kind people in the city... and made friends via hiking, nature, work. Its not a place that sticks on your skin or suck you in. It unravels its beauty to you slowly. You just have to seek it. But that's my experience.

My goodness this thread is long and active. Geneva has a quiet, laid back style, which I appreciate coming from Delhi. But to find connections to stuff, you have to make an effort. In fact, it is that that makes you appreciate the city more - you make an effort to learn about it. Plus, I found some really kind people in the city... and made friends via hiking, nature, work. Its not a place that sticks on your skin or suck you in. It unravels its beauty to you slowly. You just have to seek it. But that's my experience.

Diya Banerjee, Jul 2, 2022 @ 23:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 110

I don't know if Jack B is still a member in glocals or even still in Geneva but, surely, this answer adds to Geneva's toxicity!

I don't know if Jack B is still a member in glocals or even still in Geneva but, surely, this answer adds to Geneva's toxicity!

Iannis M, Jul 7, 2022 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 111

I just received notifications in the last few hours that 2 (more) people had liked my post, that I wrote in June 2014, ie over 8 years ago. I have not used this website for many years but out of curiosity I decided to login and see what people were replying to. Funnily, I can barely even remember writing that post but now that I've read it, my opinion hasn't change that much.

For the record, 7 months after I wrote that post I made plans to move out of Geneva/Switzerland and then about 6 weeks after that I finally moved out, to neighbouring France. And in 2017 I moved back home to my home country.

Sometimes I dream about moving back to Geneva (it is a lovely city afterall) but I'm so much happier now that I'm back in my home country. I also have my own young family and life is so much different to before...

Despite what I wrote I only really have fond memories of my time in Geneva (except the time my bag was stolen and the attempted pickpocketing attempts ;P) I met some lovely people and have so many beautiful memories of my time there. I regret nothing and I still love Geneva. :)

I just received notifications in the last few hours that 2 (more) people had liked my post, that I wrote in June 2014, ie over 8 years ago. I have not used this website for many years but out of curiosity I decided to login and see what people were replying to. Funnily, I can barely even remember writing that post but now that I've read it, my opinion hasn't change that much.

For the record, 7 months after I wrote that post I made plans to move out of Geneva/Switzerland and then about 6 weeks after that I finally moved out, to neighbouring France. And in 2017 I moved back home to my home country.

Sometimes I dream about moving back to Geneva (it is a lovely city afterall) but I'm so much happier now that I'm back in my home country. I also have my own young family and life is so much different to before...

Despite what I wrote I only really have fond memories of my time in Geneva (except the time my bag was stolen and the attempted pickpocketing attempts ;P) I met some lovely people and have so many beautiful memories of my time there. I regret nothing and I still love Geneva. :)

Linda C, Jul 7, 2022 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 112

thank you for waking me up to this post...

Geneva is boring only if you are poorly intergrated to the swiss culture.

For the non native english speakers among you, how many years did you spend during your childhood to learn English, so when you move to London, NY, you can make friends immediately and never get "bored"?

Why don't you think you will need to spend the same amount of effort to learn French in a french speaking country?

For the non native english speakers among you, how many years did you spend during your childhood to learn English, so when you move to London, NY, you can make friends immediately and never get "bored"?

Why don't you think you will need to spend the same amount of effort to learn French in a french speaking country?

Joshua C, Jul 8, 2022 @ 11:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 113

Jul 8, 22 11:12

I don't know if that's 100% fair for 2 reasons:

First, Geneva markets itself to the world as an international city, and makes major efforts to draw multinational companies to the cities. So expats who move here have a right to expect that even if they don't speak the local language, their daily life won't be impacted in a major way. 

Second, I don't know if the question of "boring" is directly related to integation with the Swiss culture. It might be more linked with the the things to do around the city. Someone who loves nature or sports will probably not find Geneva boring, but someone who loves clubbing or is looking for kids' activities may find it very boring. And that's regardless of whether they speak French or not  

I don't know if that's 100% fair for 2 reasons:

First, Geneva markets itself to the world as an international city, and makes major efforts to draw multinational companies to the cities. So expats who move here have a right to expect that even if they don't speak the local language, their daily life won't be impacted in a major way. 

Second, I don't know if the question of "boring" is directly related to integation with the Swiss culture. It might be more linked with the the things to do around the city. Someone who loves nature or sports will probably not find Geneva boring, but someone who loves clubbing or is looking for kids' activities may find it very boring. And that's regardless of whether they speak French or not  

Nir Ofek, Jul 8, 2022 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 114

This is hilarious - I just got a ping about a message I wrote 8 years ago. 

So, I moved back to San Francisco 8 years ago and I am still living in the Bay Area in a house on the beach. I simply love California and am now a happy mom of two. I was also able to build a great career in the Silicon Valley, bought a few houses and I enjoy my life tremendously. 

Looking back, Geneva offers a great environment for several people. It is safe, international, great for outdoor activities, in the middle of Europe which allows for wonderful traveling opportunities and so on. Geneva appears ideal for families who may care more for safety, stability, great public services etc.  I also believe the term "boring" is misleading. Instead, I would say Geneva is not as dynamic, fast paced and vibrant as other cities. 

In my specific case I arrived in Geneva in my late twenties with the strong desire to be challenged and to grow my career and myself. At the time I worked for the UN and it really wasn't the right place for me either which probably overshadowed my general experience as well. I don't like bureaucracy or a slow paced environment. I love challenges, changes, getting work done, having an impact, making decisions, and so on and I found that in Silicon Valley. Now, people who don't put such a strong focus on career growth and like a stable job with lots of free time would have probably loved their experience would they have been in my shoes. 

I'm very happy that I made the choice to follow what I thought would bring me happiness as it did. I am also very grateful for my time in Geneva and the great people I met. 

I have visited Geneva since I left and enjoyed the city during these short visits. I personally simply love my life here in the Bay Area a lot more and wouldn't trade it. We are all on our individual paths and shouldn't be afraid to pursue happiness. :)

This is hilarious - I just got a ping about a message I wrote 8 years ago. 

So, I moved back to San Francisco 8 years ago and I am still living in the Bay Area in a house on the beach. I simply love California and am now a happy mom of two. I was also able to build a great career in the Silicon Valley, bought a few houses and I enjoy my life tremendously. 

Looking back, Geneva offers a great environment for several people. It is safe, international, great for outdoor activities, in the middle of Europe which allows for wonderful traveling opportunities and so on. Geneva appears ideal for families who may care more for safety, stability, great public services etc.  I also believe the term "boring" is misleading. Instead, I would say Geneva is not as dynamic, fast paced and vibrant as other cities. 

In my specific case I arrived in Geneva in my late twenties with the strong desire to be challenged and to grow my career and myself. At the time I worked for the UN and it really wasn't the right place for me either which probably overshadowed my general experience as well. I don't like bureaucracy or a slow paced environment. I love challenges, changes, getting work done, having an impact, making decisions, and so on and I found that in Silicon Valley. Now, people who don't put such a strong focus on career growth and like a stable job with lots of free time would have probably loved their experience would they have been in my shoes. 

I'm very happy that I made the choice to follow what I thought would bring me happiness as it did. I am also very grateful for my time in Geneva and the great people I met. 

I have visited Geneva since I left and enjoyed the city during these short visits. I personally simply love my life here in the Bay Area a lot more and wouldn't trade it. We are all on our individual paths and shouldn't be afraid to pursue happiness. :)

Hanna S, Jul 8, 2022 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 115

Yes I agree it is not fair. in fact it is a very dracionIan fact that most expats realized after they arrived. I won't deny that. but how they would react upon it is the key.

what I observed is the discontent is heavily tilted towards English speaking expats. the globaltrotters who frequent london, ny, sf, sg, hong Kong. their definition of beong international is people all speaking English in all major cities with a twist of local accents and exoticism so they have a nice dose of adventure and familiarity at the same time. So they believe that this formula should be copied to all cities which purport to be international.

but, by definition, this is not how being international works. a Bolivian and a Portuguese chatting in an Ecuadorian bar trying to understand each other Spanish / Portuguese IS international. a Parisian coming to Geneva is an international travel. a German Coming to Zurich is international. no English is necessarily needed to be involved to qualify an activity to be international. while I am sure some French do think Geneva is boring, I suspect the proportion is less than that of the English community.

so back to the original question, I won't say again things like Geneva life is how you make of it. I do agree that the dynamicism and the variety of entertainment in Geneva is less than the big city. it is esp hard for new arrivals. 

but I do disagree with the culturally biased lens that the English speaking expats have towards Geneva, esp if they have stayed for 5+ years and don't speak conversational French. they voluntarily cut off the potential of communication with 90% of the population here. of course life is boring. what do they expect? :)

Yes I agree it is not fair. in fact it is a very dracionIan fact that most expats realized after they arrived. I won't deny that. but how they would react upon it is the key.

what I observed is the discontent is heavily tilted towards English speaking expats. the globaltrotters who frequent london, ny, sf, sg, hong Kong. their definition of beong international is people all speaking English in all major cities with a twist of local accents and exoticism so they have a nice dose of adventure and familiarity at the same time. So they believe that this formula should be copied to all cities which purport to be international.

but, by definition, this is not how being international works. a Bolivian and a Portuguese chatting in an Ecuadorian bar trying to understand each other Spanish / Portuguese IS international. a Parisian coming to Geneva is an international travel. a German Coming to Zurich is international. no English is necessarily needed to be involved to qualify an activity to be international. while I am sure some French do think Geneva is boring, I suspect the proportion is less than that of the English community.

so back to the original question, I won't say again things like Geneva life is how you make of it. I do agree that the dynamicism and the variety of entertainment in Geneva is less than the big city. it is esp hard for new arrivals. 

but I do disagree with the culturally biased lens that the English speaking expats have towards Geneva, esp if they have stayed for 5+ years and don't speak conversational French. they voluntarily cut off the potential of communication with 90% of the population here. of course life is boring. what do they expect? :)

Joshua C, Jul 9, 2022 @ 01:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 116

I am German and speak French. I also love the francophone culture. At least in my case this would not be correct. :) 

I am German and speak French. I also love the francophone culture. At least in my case this would not be correct. :) 

Hanna S, Jul 9, 2022 @ 01:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 117

There certainly exists a segment of people who will never find Geneva attractive. I was in Greece once. Warm people. a woman told me she was in Switzerland and didn't like it. People were cold. She is right. simply it's how things work. 

my point is for the rest of the people, the language barrier also  explains a huge part of the conflict. 

There certainly exists a segment of people who will never find Geneva attractive. I was in Greece once. Warm people. a woman told me she was in Switzerland and didn't like it. People were cold. She is right. simply it's how things work. 

my point is for the rest of the people, the language barrier also  explains a huge part of the conflict. 

Joshua C, Jul 9, 2022 @ 02:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 118

Yes, I'm back!

To add to what I must've written some 8 years ago, Geneva was a lot less boring back then than it might seem now....

With the demise of the "Pre Fetes", and now the "Fete de Geneve", the absence of the "Sindy parties", the Beach Club events, the closure of many bars and clubs  like Clubhouse and Shakers, the reduced popularilty of la Terrasse, and the closure of many "late bars" I would agree the propensity to party 24/7 has been severely reduced...

But, as with any city, one makes ones own party by making a good group of friends and being social, getting out and experiencing what the local area has to offer, the mountains, the lake, the scenery, local culture and events.

It's quieter than NYC or London yes, but has soooo many more things to offer if one just takes the time to pause, breathe and say "hi' to fellow expats and locals alike.

See you out and about toutiefruities.

PS If anyone is hiring... Im looking for work! 

Yes, I'm back!

To add to what I must've written some 8 years ago, Geneva was a lot less boring back then than it might seem now....

With the demise of the "Pre Fetes", and now the "Fete de Geneve", the absence of the "Sindy parties", the Beach Club events, the closure of many bars and clubs  like Clubhouse and Shakers, the reduced popularilty of la Terrasse, and the closure of many "late bars" I would agree the propensity to party 24/7 has been severely reduced...

But, as with any city, one makes ones own party by making a good group of friends and being social, getting out and experiencing what the local area has to offer, the mountains, the lake, the scenery, local culture and events.

It's quieter than NYC or London yes, but has soooo many more things to offer if one just takes the time to pause, breathe and say "hi' to fellow expats and locals alike.

See you out and about toutiefruities.

PS If anyone is hiring... Im looking for work! 

Charlie, Jul 13, 2022 @ 11:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 119

When can I meet you at La Terrasse for a drink, mate?

Zonker, Jul 14, 2022 @ 01:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 120

Jul 14, 22 01:18

Will be in town the w/e of 22 -24....

Charlie, Jul 14, 2022 @ 08:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 121

Jul 14, 22 08:35

Welcome back Charlie.

What a big surprise. Cool  

...some other news, „La Terrasse“ has been sold.

Hope to see you around. Take care.

Welcome back Charlie.

What a big surprise. Cool  

...some other news, „La Terrasse“ has been sold.

Hope to see you around. Take care.

SWISS, Jul 14, 2022 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 122

APPRECIATE YOUR LUCK !

Jun 3, 13 10:42

I 100% agree!!

I 100% agree!!

Nicole C, Jul 16, 2022 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 123

There’s an old adage that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and methinks that’s also true of Geneva.

There’s an old adage that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and methinks that’s also true of Geneva.

Ritchie, Jul 16, 2022 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 124

Geneva has tons of things going for it, if one cares to look deeper.

Festivals, concerts, events of all sorts.

But it is not in obvious displays and less advertized than in bigger cities.

I lived in Paris and London before and have settled here fine after some time.

I started to look. And I found.

Just look, and be open.

Geneva has tons of things going for it, if one cares to look deeper.

Festivals, concerts, events of all sorts.

But it is not in obvious displays and less advertized than in bigger cities.

I lived in Paris and London before and have settled here fine after some time.

I started to look. And I found.

Just look, and be open.

Olivier B, Jul 19, 2022 @ 10:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 125

For instance right now you have Musique en Eté music  ALL FREE festival in Parc la Grange.

International Artists like JOhn Scofield yesterday, Gilberto Gil tomorrow for instance!!! These guys are going to play in Paris next in payed for venues!

The Geneva canton puts a lots of dime into this!!! This is unbelievable.

3 concerts per week on average for 2 months.

An close to the beach Cool

2 weeks ago I was in Montreux, again lots of free and amazing concerts, bars everywhere, in world class settings. What else?

Closer there is the Nyon festival which has just started too.

For instance right now you have Musique en Eté music  ALL FREE festival in Parc la Grange.

International Artists like JOhn Scofield yesterday, Gilberto Gil tomorrow for instance!!! These guys are going to play in Paris next in payed for venues!

The Geneva canton puts a lots of dime into this!!! This is unbelievable.

3 concerts per week on average for 2 months.

An close to the beach Cool

2 weeks ago I was in Montreux, again lots of free and amazing concerts, bars everywhere, in world class settings. What else?

Closer there is the Nyon festival which has just started too.

Olivier B, Jul 19, 2022 @ 11:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 126

So this is why I started getting spam notifications from glocals...

The fact that people here have nothing better to do than bicker on an 8 years old thread on a dead website lends only more validity to the initial thesis.

FWIW, I still live here, have I changed my mind? Absolutely not.

I originally came here from Berlin, the cultural gap was vaste and the first few months miserable (for the record, I do speak the language and already did before coming here, so that is not a factor).

However, I decided to make the best of the situation: worked a lot, saved a lot, learned a lot, built a lot of things, am considering starting a company soon.

Turns out Geneva is perfect for that! Nothing to do means zero fomo and zero distractions (unless you want to hang out with trust fund kids and drunk expats who will mostly get reassigned away within a few months), low relative cost of living (yes I actually said that, skipping overpriced entertainment makes an incredible difference) and an actual tech hub (Zurich) a short train ride away.

If you expected big city life, reset your expectations, log off glocals, and you will have a great time (or keep complaining, I guess, up to you).

Peace,
P.

So this is why I started getting spam notifications from glocals...

The fact that people here have nothing better to do than bicker on an 8 years old thread on a dead website lends only more validity to the initial thesis.

FWIW, I still live here, have I changed my mind? Absolutely not.

I originally came here from Berlin, the cultural gap was vaste and the first few months miserable (for the record, I do speak the language and already did before coming here, so that is not a factor).

However, I decided to make the best of the situation: worked a lot, saved a lot, learned a lot, built a lot of things, am considering starting a company soon.

Turns out Geneva is perfect for that! Nothing to do means zero fomo and zero distractions (unless you want to hang out with trust fund kids and drunk expats who will mostly get reassigned away within a few months), low relative cost of living (yes I actually said that, skipping overpriced entertainment makes an incredible difference) and an actual tech hub (Zurich) a short train ride away.

If you expected big city life, reset your expectations, log off glocals, and you will have a great time (or keep complaining, I guess, up to you).

Peace,
P.

Paul D, Jul 21, 2022 @ 00:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 127

Some people can survive in the woods, others can't.

Some people find it easy to communicate with strangers and make friends easily, others can't.

Some people can find excitement in and around Geneva,  whatever the season, others can't.

Let's all agree to disagree, or not...

Either way there are many on Glocals that go out of their way to make people feel included, to welcome new people, to create social events, to share advice and experiences. 

The solution to anyones boredom is right here at your finger tips, if you bother to look, and reciprocate the effort.

Do nothing, say nothing, join nothing and you'll be bored.... or not. Who cares.

Some people can survive in the woods, others can't.

Some people find it easy to communicate with strangers and make friends easily, others can't.

Some people can find excitement in and around Geneva,  whatever the season, others can't.

Let's all agree to disagree, or not...

Either way there are many on Glocals that go out of their way to make people feel included, to welcome new people, to create social events, to share advice and experiences. 

The solution to anyones boredom is right here at your finger tips, if you bother to look, and reciprocate the effort.

Do nothing, say nothing, join nothing and you'll be bored.... or not. Who cares.

Charlie, Jul 21, 2022 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
127 Replies | 21912 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form