Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > commercial activity at home

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
commercial activity at home

Is it allowed to do a commercial activity, like having an office or a massage center in an appartment rented from a regie in Geneva? If yes, are there any requirements or formalities needed?

The text you are quoting:

Is it allowed to do a commercial activity, like having an office or a massage center in an appartment rented from a regie in Geneva? If yes, are there any requirements or formalities needed?

Kris RApr 22, 2020 @ 18:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 742 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: commercial activity at home
Post 1

Dear Kris,
no, you cannot change the "affectation" of a place. As there is a shortage of flat in Geneva and also probably because the rent of a flat is cheaper than a commercial space, one cannot modify the use of the space.

You can check with "Asloca" to have a legal advice.

All the best

Chipmunck

Dear Kris,
no, you cannot change the "affectation" of a place. As there is a shortage of flat in Geneva and also probably because the rent of a flat is cheaper than a commercial space, one cannot modify the use of the space.

You can check with "Asloca" to have a legal advice.

All the best

Chipmunck

chipmunck, Apr 28, 2020 @ 22:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Maybe there are sometimes some exceptions?

In the past (although both times were quite a while ago now), I have consulted a doctor who practised out of their apartment and on another occasion followed a course of treatment by a physiotherapist who also used a room in their apartment for professional purposes.

In the past (although both times were quite a while ago now), I have consulted a doctor who practised out of their apartment and on another occasion followed a course of treatment by a physiotherapist who also used a room in their apartment for professional purposes.

TogJay, Apr 29, 2020 @ 11:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Apr 29, 20 11:58

There are lots of people exercising a commercial activity in residential buildings and, as you say, some even live in the apartment in which they practice.  Indeed, this was often the case a few decades ago.

However, what is essential is to secure authorization from the régie or owner of the building, pay an appropriate rental fee and legally register the address as your place of professional activity.

This will also have a bearing on your income tax declaration.

Your best bet is to consult Asloca because launching into a small business activity without complying with all the rules can cost you dearly and even to notice to vacate your apartment.

However, if your activity is authorized, you should then be entitled to “hand up your plate” at the entrance to the building, which will, of course, be at your expense.

Good luck, R.

There are lots of people exercising a commercial activity in residential buildings and, as you say, some even live in the apartment in which they practice.  Indeed, this was often the case a few decades ago.

However, what is essential is to secure authorization from the régie or owner of the building, pay an appropriate rental fee and legally register the address as your place of professional activity.

This will also have a bearing on your income tax declaration.

Your best bet is to consult Asloca because launching into a small business activity without complying with all the rules can cost you dearly and even to notice to vacate your apartment.

However, if your activity is authorized, you should then be entitled to “hand up your plate” at the entrance to the building, which will, of course, be at your expense.

Good luck, R.

Ritchie, Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I forgot to mention the need to take out third party insurance to cover any mishap however accidental.

I forgot to mention the need to take out third party insurance to cover any mishap however accidental.

Ritchie, Apr 29, 2020 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Btw. is opposite allowed, i.e. have a logement in a local commercial ?

Btw. is opposite allowed, i.e. have a logement in a local commercial ?

Kris R, May 1, 2020 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Dear Kris,

May I strongly suggest you make an appointment with Asloca's lawyers. They are very hepful and knowledgeable for tenants. A law was passed that allowed commercial rent to be used as private housing but I am pretty sure that there are twists about it. The lease law in Switzerland is full of subtleties and only lawyers can entangled them and not let you end up in an uncomfortable situation. Remember the joke: "In Switzerland, everything is either illegal or a requirement!"
All the best! Enjoy your day!

Dear Kris,

May I strongly suggest you make an appointment with Asloca's lawyers. They are very hepful and knowledgeable for tenants. A law was passed that allowed commercial rent to be used as private housing but I am pretty sure that there are twists about it. The lease law in Switzerland is full of subtleties and only lawyers can entangled them and not let you end up in an uncomfortable situation. Remember the joke: "In Switzerland, everything is either illegal or a requirement!"

chipmunck, May 2, 2020 @ 16:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Dear Kris,

May 2, 20 16:54

Kris:

I have already suggested that you consult Asloca so I warmly endorse Chipmunckse’s post.

If you are really serious about using a room in your home for a professional activity or for using part of your professional space as a residence, your best and safest bet is to get legal advice, preferably from Asloca.

Otherwise, any such move could cost you dearly.

Best, R.

Kris:

I have already suggested that you consult Asloca so I warmly endorse Chipmunckse’s post.

If you are really serious about using a room in your home for a professional activity or for using part of your professional space as a residence, your best and safest bet is to get legal advice, preferably from Asloca.

Otherwise, any such move could cost you dearly.

Best, R.

Ritchie, May 2, 2020 @ 19:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Sure, but I am not a member of Asloca and I that is why I prefered to check with the members of this forum, spefically those who have practical experience.

Sure, but I am not a member of Asloca and I that is why I prefered to check with the members of this forum, spefically those who have practical experience.

Kris R, May 8, 2020 @ 00:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 742 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form