Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > need reality check with housing / regie / students

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
need reality check with housing / regie / students

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to understand the situation with housing. 

We are an unmarried couple, two students, one French, one German.

No personal revenue whatsoever.

We have two "garants" : our respective dads, who earn more than the average, respectively, in France and in Germany. So we are not Swiss, nor are our parents.

We both have Permis B, non pursuit statement, etc.

Quesiton: should we even try to get an appartment with a régie or is this a lost battle from the start ?

Thank you all,

Kate

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to understand the situation with housing. 

We are an unmarried couple, two students, one French, one German.

No personal revenue whatsoever.

We have two "garants" : our respective dads, who earn more than the average, respectively, in France and in Germany. So we are not Swiss, nor are our parents.

We both have Permis B, non pursuit statement, etc.

Quesiton: should we even try to get an appartment with a régie or is this a lost battle from the start ?

Thank you all,

Kate

Ekaterina TsaregorodtsevaMay 17, 2020 @ 16:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1422 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: need reality check with housing / regie / students
Post 1

Hi there's no harm in trying but i think it's a lost battle with regies. Students are entitled access to the affordable student housing though- check with your universities as they will explain how to apply for those. Apart from that you can look for sublets, which there are many. Another option is to look in neighboring France as the French garantor will have more weight there  - whereas here your guarantor needs to legally reside in Switzerland For it to count With a regie. The options in France are cheaper and less competitive, and the commute can be easy depending on the area you choose. 

Hi there's no harm in trying but i think it's a lost battle with regies. Students are entitled access to the affordable student housing though- check with your universities as they will explain how to apply for those. Apart from that you can look for sublets, which there are many. Another option is to look in neighboring France as the French garantor will have more weight there  - whereas here your guarantor needs to legally reside in Switzerland For it to count With a regie. The options in France are cheaper and less competitive, and the commute can be easy depending on the area you choose. 

nhienne, May 18, 2020 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Ekatarina, I agree with my predecessor - it is a long battle. I heard that some people from UN with extreme revenue have problems to find a flat and move to France. But if you want to leave in Geneva, couple of ideas:

-sublets (as Nhienne said),

- if you plan to stay after studies &work in GVA, find a flat with a support of agency. You'll pay some money, but it is easier.

-it's easier to find a bigger app rather that small studio and if there are 4 of you, you'll pay really cheap (like for GVA of course)

Finally, I might have a sublet in a month around 5 min from UniMail. If it interests you, send me a pm.

Hi Ekatarina, I agree with my predecessor - it is a long battle. I heard that some people from UN with extreme revenue have problems to find a flat and move to France. But if you want to leave in Geneva, couple of ideas:

- if you plan to stay after studies &work in GVA, find a flat with a support of agency. You'll pay some money, but it is easier.

-it's easier to find a bigger app rather that small studio and if there are 4 of you, you'll pay really cheap (like for GVA of course)

Finally, I might have a sublet in a month around 5 min from UniMail. If it interests you, send me a pm.

Kris R, May 20, 2020 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you both for your answers, this is much more helpful than many other things i've hearing from all kinds all people. Thanks again and have a good day  !

Thank you both for your answers, this is much more helpful than many other things i've hearing from all kinds all people. Thanks again and have a good day  !

Ekaterina Tsaregorodtseva, May 28, 2020 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

May 20, 20 15:54

Thank you for your response.

Please could you share name of agency that can support me in finding a flat. I am moving in Genva in 2 weeks and looking for a sublet first and an apart later.

Thanks

Please could you share name of agency that can support me in finding a flat. I am moving in Genva in 2 weeks and looking for a sublet first and an apart later.

Thanks

Francois C, Jul 2, 2020 @ 17:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

My wife and I were able to find a place through HomeSweetHome.ch when we moved last year while she was a student. I had income, though it was from a US source, so we didn't have any luck with a normal Regie. HomeSweetHome does furnished places that can be a bit more expensive, but it worked for us.

My wife and I were able to find a place through HomeSweetHome.ch when we moved last year while she was a student. I had income, though it was from a US source, so we didn't have any luck with a normal Regie. HomeSweetHome does furnished places that can be a bit more expensive, but it worked for us.

Zac Nelson, Jul 2, 2020 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks

Jul 2, 20 17:40

You could also look at the offers in the glocals feature known as the “Classifieds” where you can also place an ad. of your own.

Hope this helps.

R.

You could also look at the offers in the glocals feature known as the “Classifieds” where you can also place an ad. of your own.

Hope this helps.

R.

Ritchie, Jul 2, 2020 @ 21:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thanks

Jul 2, 20 17:40

Hi Francois .

I can sublet you my 3 bedroom appartment in downtown geneva next to Place Bel Air .

Rent : 1900 chf 

Hi Francois .

I can sublet you my 3 bedroom appartment in downtown geneva next to Place Bel Air .

Rent : 1900 chf 

Shak Bush, Jul 7, 2020 @ 03:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1422 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form