Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > permit B to C in Geneva after 5 years

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
permit B to C in Geneva after 5 years

I am a German citizen, employed in Geneva, and in March next year my permis B will be 5 years, so I am egligible for permis C. I just got a letter from Office de la popuation et des migrations that I can prolongate my permis, but it does not specify if they will give ne a C or not. Shall I fill in the special demand for permis C (the Y form https://www.ge.ch/document/ocpm-formulaire-demande-permis-c), or it happens automatically? Thanks a lot in advance. 

The text you are quoting:

I am a German citizen, employed in Geneva, and in March next year my permis B will be 5 years, so I am egligible for permis C. I just got a letter from Office de la popuation et des migrations that I can prolongate my permis, but it does not specify if they will give ne a C or not. Shall I fill in the special demand for permis C (the Y form https://www.ge.ch/document/ocpm-formulaire-demande-permis-c), or it happens automatically? Thanks a lot in advance. 

Julia GDec 13, 2019 @ 14:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 2661 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: permit B to C in Geneva after 5 years
Post 1

Hi Julia,

It won't happen automatically because Geneva requires the Y form to get it so you are correct and to get a C permit now, you have to prove your ability in French (you can see it listed on the Y form). If you're ready to go through with that and your written and spoken French is at the level required (it's A1 written and A2 spoken), then you can fill out the Y form with the required French certificate and other documentation, or your non-C permit will just renew, I believe. But no, the C permit will not be automatic. Good luck!

Hi Julia,

It won't happen automatically because Geneva requires the Y form to get it so you are correct and to get a C permit now, you have to prove your ability in French (you can see it listed on the Y form). If you're ready to go through with that and your written and spoken French is at the level required (it's A1 written and A2 spoken), then you can fill out the Y form with the required French certificate and other documentation, or your non-C permit will just renew, I believe. But no, the C permit will not be automatic. Good luck!

Toria B, Dec 13, 2019 @ 19:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I renewed mine in June this year. I just returned the form (plus payment) they sent me with a covering note (I'd had some email discussions with them) saying I would like a C-permit.

They didn't respond for ages but after chasing I got a request for the language certificate (B1 and A1 as anticipe), salary certificates and non pursuit. Sent those in and got the C-permit a while later.

I'm British and had been here for 5 years. I think as you are German the language certificate might not be required, but it isn't totally clear.

https://www.ge.ch/exigences-linguistiques-titres-sejour/niveaux-langue

I renewed mine in June this year. I just returned the form (plus payment) they sent me with a covering note (I'd had some email discussions with them) saying I would like a C-permit.

They didn't respond for ages but after chasing I got a request for the language certificate (B1 and A1 as anticipe), salary certificates and non pursuit. Sent those in and got the C-permit a while later.

I'm British and had been here for 5 years. I think as you are German the language certificate might not be required, but it isn't totally clear.

https://www.ge.ch/exigences-linguistiques-titres-sejour/niveaux-langue

Myles S, Dec 16, 2019 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks a lot for your replies! Yes I will probably do that, will return the form and ask for permit C. Will already attach the non-pursuit and salary certificates. And I think I indeed don't need a French certificate, though it would not be a problem to get as I'm probably around level C1-C2. 

Thanks a lot for your replies! Yes I will probably do that, will return the form and ask for permit C. Will already attach the non-pursuit and salary certificates. And I think I indeed don't need a French certificate, though it would not be a problem to get as I'm probably around level C1-C2. 

Julia G, Dec 16, 2019 @ 14:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

EU citizens do not need to do any language exam to obtain the permit C. Dunno if it changes in Geneva, I know in Lausanne there's no need.

EU citizens do not need to do any language exam to obtain the permit C. Dunno if it changes in Geneva, I know in Lausanne there's no need.

Cat D, Dec 11, 2019 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Myles - hope all well, sorry for bringing up an old thread but this is me right now!

I just received my letter from the OCPM this month. My permit expires on October 15th and want the C permit, currently awaiting relevant docs and language certificate.

The OCPM docs just offered the renewal of my B permit, not mention of advance C permit. 

So I guess I need to send payment for B renewal along with the docs for my advance C request i.e. attestations and language c cert?

Apologies again but nobody at OCPM ever answers the phone so would be interested in your first hand experience if possible!

Best wishes,

Nick

Hi Myles - hope all well, sorry for bringing up an old thread but this is me right now!

I just received my letter from the OCPM this month. My permit expires on October 15th and want the C permit, currently awaiting relevant docs and language certificate.

The OCPM docs just offered the renewal of my B permit, not mention of advance C permit. 

So I guess I need to send payment for B renewal along with the docs for my advance C request i.e. attestations and language c cert?

Apologies again but nobody at OCPM ever answers the phone so would be interested in your first hand experience if possible!

Best wishes,

Nick

Nicholas Bedford, Sep 17, 2021 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Yes, you send papers asking for C, if you don't specify even though you're right to receive C, they will not be intreested to much to give it to you.

Good luck!

Yes, you send papers asking for C, if you don't specify even though you're right to receive C, they will not be intreested to much to give it to you.

Good luck!

Wojtek W, Sep 17, 2021 @ 16:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Nicholas - YoI do not automatically qualify for a Permit C after being in Geneva for 5 years. In fact, the "normal" amount of time is 10 years. Here are the certain conditions for 5 years from the Geneva government website:

"Members of EU/EFTA Member States who have signed an establishment agreement with Switzerland (Belgium, Germany, Denmark, France, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Austria and Liechtenstein) are entitled to the granting of a C permit after 5 years of stay if there are no grounds for revocation or demotion.

Spouses of Swiss nationals or C permit holders are also entitled to grant a C permit after 5 years of stay if there are no grounds for revocation or demotion and if they have sufficient French language skills.

The conditions for granting permit C are reviewed at the time of renewal, upon receipt of the notice of final validity."

If you meet these, you should have been "invited" to apply for a permit C after 5 years. Also, you MUST meet the French requirements. They're not kidding now. They will just immediately reject you unless you meet them. 

Here is the page: https://www.ge.ch/demander-permis-c

If you need a permit C earlier than 10 years and you don't meet the 5-year requirements, it says on that page what you must do to qualify for an "early demand" (higher French language demands, more societal integration, basically full citizenship qualifications). 

Nicholas - YoI do not automatically qualify for a Permit C after being in Geneva for 5 years. In fact, the "normal" amount of time is 10 years. Here are the certain conditions for 5 years from the Geneva government website:

"Members of EU/EFTA Member States who have signed an establishment agreement with Switzerland (Belgium, Germany, Denmark, France, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Austria and Liechtenstein) are entitled to the granting of a C permit after 5 years of stay if there are no grounds for revocation or demotion.

Spouses of Swiss nationals or C permit holders are also entitled to grant a C permit after 5 years of stay if there are no grounds for revocation or demotion and if they have sufficient French language skills.

The conditions for granting permit C are reviewed at the time of renewal, upon receipt of the notice of final validity."

If you meet these, you should have been "invited" to apply for a permit C after 5 years. Also, you MUST meet the French requirements. They're not kidding now. They will just immediately reject you unless you meet them. 

Here is the page: https://www.ge.ch/demander-permis-c

If you need a permit C earlier than 10 years and you don't meet the 5-year requirements, it says on that page what you must do to qualify for an "early demand" (higher French language demands, more societal integration, basically full citizenship qualifications). 

Toria B, Sep 17, 2021 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thank you Toria.

As a UK national I'm entitled to apply for a C permit after 5 years with A2/A1 french and various other conditions - so yes, you are quite right :)

My question was more whether I need to apply myself or whether they should have invited me to apply at the time of renewing my B permit - which is now.

As confirmed by a coupld of people who DM'd me, I need to apply with the various docs when I renew my B permit.

Best wishes,

Nick

Thank you Toria.

As a UK national I'm entitled to apply for a C permit after 5 years with A2/A1 french and various other conditions - so yes, you are quite right :)

My question was more whether I need to apply myself or whether they should have invited me to apply at the time of renewing my B permit - which is now.

As confirmed by a coupld of people who DM'd me, I need to apply with the various docs when I renew my B permit.

Best wishes,

Nick

Nicholas Bedford, Sep 17, 2021 @ 17:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks Wojtek - that's what I understood too so will send off my application next week with the various certficates!

Best wishes,

Nick

Thanks Wojtek - that's what I understood too so will send off my application next week with the various certficates!

Best wishes,

Nick

Nicholas Bedford, Sep 17, 2021 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hello all,

sorry to open the old thread but I think it's better than creating a new one. My permit B expires (EU citizen) in 2 months and I received mail from OCPM in Geneva that I need to submit documents to renew to C permit including language certificates (fide). Unfortunately, I am not on a good French level yet to take the test so I was wondering if it is possible to simply ask them to prolong my B permit for another 5 years instead of a C permit? They do not offer any such option in the letter they sent and I am a bit worried about studying and taking the test in such a short time.

Do you have any experience with such a situation?

Thanks a lot!
David

Hello all,

sorry to open the old thread but I think it's better than creating a new one. My permit B expires (EU citizen) in 2 months and I received mail from OCPM in Geneva that I need to submit documents to renew to C permit including language certificates (fide). Unfortunately, I am not on a good French level yet to take the test so I was wondering if it is possible to simply ask them to prolong my B permit for another 5 years instead of a C permit? They do not offer any such option in the letter they sent and I am a bit worried about studying and taking the test in such a short time.

Do you have any experience with such a situation?

Thanks a lot!
David

David Zadera, May 25, 2022 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Dear David, 

While I do not have experience (yet) in obtaining the C-permit, I have read about it exhaustively. If you go to Google and type in, "proof of language intention C-permit" the first result should be a PDF titled, "faq-aufenthalt-und-niederlassung-sprachnachweis_EN"

On point 7 of the document, it states that INTENTION to complete the language requirement should be sufficient. I have added a photo with the document portion pertaining to your question, as well as the google link below. Hope that helps. To clarify- sign up for French courses and provide that proof of enrollment with your C-permit Y form and you should be okay.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enCH886CH886&sxsrf=ALiCzsYhTiCmd8cr1bsvzBceHQGNTjm56A:1653644203342&q=proof+of+language+intention+c-permit&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTyczasP_3AhXE2aQKHbOxCvoQBSgAegQIARAy&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1 

Dear David, 

While I do not have experience (yet) in obtaining the C-permit, I have read about it exhaustively. If you go to Google and type in, "proof of language intention C-permit" the first result should be a PDF titled, "faq-aufenthalt-und-niederlassung-sprachnachweis_EN"

On point 7 of the document, it states that INTENTION to complete the language requirement should be sufficient. I have added a photo with the document portion pertaining to your question, as well as the google link below. Hope that helps. To clarify- sign up for French courses and provide that proof of enrollment with your C-permit Y form and you should be okay.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enCH886CH886&sxsrf=ALiCzsYhTiCmd8cr1bsvzBceHQGNTjm56A:1653644203342&q=proof+of+language+intention+c-permit&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTyczasP_3AhXE2aQKHbOxCvoQBSgAegQIARAy&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1 

Timothy S, May 27, 2022 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 2661 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form