Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > sajna restaurant

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
sajna restaurant

After reading the Sajna Restaurant "Reviews", which are actually more discsussion items, I thought I'd start this thread to discuss the restaurant without having to assign star values to every post....I'll get the thread started...

I went to look at the restaurant's website, since someone mentioned the music they were accosted with. Oh. My. God.

So, Naufal and Sajna, here is some unsolicited commentary about your website.... brace yourself.

1. The "sparkling text" on the homepage is difficult to read. It looks out of focus.

2. Your site should be able to pick a default language automatically based on the user's browser settings.

3. Be judicious of Flash usage.

4. GET RID OF THE "MUSIC" - at the very least, turn it down!!!! and provide a way to mute it. and make the file smaller, because it takes forever to download, even on subsequent pages.

5. all your links use an IP address. If you ever change web hosts, this will bite you in the ...

6. pictures change/scroll very quickly. seems rushed.

7. The text on many pages needs serious editing.

8. The apostrophe (') and the back-apostrophe (`) are often the improper character.

9. Every page on the menu has an item #001. I would suggest a system that has unique numbers for all dishes across all categories.

10. You also mentioned on your reviews page that the menu had not been updated. UPDATE IT NOW! There is nothing worse than out-of-date information on a webpage.

11. On the reservation page, there is a calendar icon to help pick a date. There appear to be some graphics in the header line, but for me I see only question marks. Maybe it's just me, but you might want to check it.

12. "Our Branch" - why is this here? This page gives information about a restaurant in Bangladesh, complete with address and phone number. Update or remove.

13. Reviews - this also seems to refer to the restaurant in Bangladesh. Not to mention, you list some people without providing an actual review..... useless name dropping. No one will believe you without support.

14. CLASSIC MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THIS SITE! because of the use of frames, you cannot bookmark any page of this site. If I want to go to the Menu page all the time, I can't bookmark it. If I do, I get back to the "select a language" page! Bad, bad, bad!!! You should remember my choice and automatically re-select the same language. And, I should be able to enter www.sajna-restaurant.ch/menu and get *directly* to that page.

15. Speaking of language, why is the menu shown in multi-lanugages, if I've selected just one?

16. Back to the menu, the item numbers should be moved over a bit so as not to overlap the side graphic. Same with the prices, which currently overlap the graphic on the right side. Makes some prices hard to read.

17. The Contact Us page shows links to a website in the UK, but the link does not work and when I enter it manually, there is no such website. Fix this.

This was a 'quick' review of your site. There may be more that I would find if I looked harder/longer.

Feel free to contact me if you want to improve your site.

The text you are quoting:

After reading the Sajna Restaurant "Reviews", which are actually more discsussion items, I thought I'd start this thread to discuss the restaurant without having to assign star values to every post....I'll get the thread started...

I went to look at the restaurant's website, since someone mentioned the music they were accosted with. Oh. My. God.

So, Naufal and Sajna, here is some unsolicited commentary about your website.... brace yourself.

1. The "sparkling text" on the homepage is difficult to read. It looks out of focus.

2. Your site should be able to pick a default language automatically based on the user's browser settings.

3. Be judicious of Flash usage.

4. GET RID OF THE "MUSIC" - at the very least, turn it down!!!! and provide a way to mute it. and make the file smaller, because it takes forever to download, even on subsequent pages.

5. all your links use an IP address. If you ever change web hosts, this will bite you in the ...

6. pictures change/scroll very quickly. seems rushed.

7. The text on many pages needs serious editing.

8. The apostrophe (') and the back-apostrophe (`) are often the improper character.

9. Every page on the menu has an item #001. I would suggest a system that has unique numbers for all dishes across all categories.

10. You also mentioned on your reviews page that the menu had not been updated. UPDATE IT NOW! There is nothing worse than out-of-date information on a webpage.

11. On the reservation page, there is a calendar icon to help pick a date. There appear to be some graphics in the header line, but for me I see only question marks. Maybe it's just me, but you might want to check it.

12. "Our Branch" - why is this here? This page gives information about a restaurant in Bangladesh, complete with address and phone number. Update or remove.

13. Reviews - this also seems to refer to the restaurant in Bangladesh. Not to mention, you list some people without providing an actual review..... useless name dropping. No one will believe you without support.

14. CLASSIC MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THIS SITE! because of the use of frames, you cannot bookmark any page of this site. If I want to go to the Menu page all the time, I can't bookmark it. If I do, I get back to the "select a language" page! Bad, bad, bad!!! You should remember my choice and automatically re-select the same language. And, I should be able to enter www.sajna-restaurant.ch/menu and get *directly* to that page.

15. Speaking of language, why is the menu shown in multi-lanugages, if I've selected just one?

16. Back to the menu, the item numbers should be moved over a bit so as not to overlap the side graphic. Same with the prices, which currently overlap the graphic on the right side. Makes some prices hard to read.

17. The Contact Us page shows links to a website in the UK, but the link does not work and when I enter it manually, there is no such website. Fix this.

This was a 'quick' review of your site. There may be more that I would find if I looked harder/longer.

Feel free to contact me if you want to improve your site.

ZonkerDec 3, 2011 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1651 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: sajna restaurant
Post 1

Great list Zonker! 

I haven't had a chance to visit the restaurant, so I cannot comment on their core business. I'm no member of curry club, but an expert at curry tasting. Guess I should rate them one star for not having invited me? Foot in mouth

The website: It is a perfect example of how aesthetics can override functionality even in the Web 2.0 age.

If it takes more than 30 minutes for any business owner to update text content on a website, someone somwhere has done a shoddy job at creating it. Plus, if it ain't mobile friendly, it can put off more people than you think.

http://mobithinking.com/mobile-marketing-tools/latest-mobile-stats

Great list Zonker! 

I haven't had a chance to visit the restaurant, so I cannot comment on their core business. I'm no member of curry club, but an expert at curry tasting. Guess I should rate them one star for not having invited me? Foot in mouth

The website: It is a perfect example of how aesthetics can override functionality even in the Web 2.0 age.

If it takes more than 30 minutes for any business owner to update text content on a website, someone somwhere has done a shoddy job at creating it. Plus, if it ain't mobile friendly, it can put off more people than you think.

http://mobithinking.com/mobile-marketing-tools/latest-mobile-stats

Arun K V, Dec 4, 2011 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Sorry, Zonker, but I don't see the purpose of publicly critiquing the restaurant's  website unless it is to highlight your own business. I think there are better ways to promote your skills and talents using this website. Your approach lacks diplomacy, tact and is less than professional.  

You cannot publicly bully someone into using your services.

Many people still choose restaurants based upon reviews about the food. Please feel free to comment publicly about that...

Sorry, Zonker, but I don't see the purpose of publicly critiquing the restaurant's  website unless it is to highlight your own business. I think there are better ways to promote your skills and talents using this website. Your approach lacks diplomacy, tact and is less than professional.  

You cannot publicly bully someone into using your services.

Many people still choose restaurants based upon reviews about the food. Please feel free to comment publicly about that...

Translator, Dec 4, 2011 @ 12:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I happen to disagree with your commentary.

The only point I'll actually respond to is: I posted here because the restaurant has a presence and is active here on glocals and because I was trying to take the already existing commentary away from their reviews page and put it somewhere else.

"Bullying?!?" Puh-leeze! Chill out, Translator.

I happen to disagree with your commentary.

The only point I'll actually respond to is: I posted here because the restaurant has a presence and is active here on glocals and because I was trying to take the already existing commentary away from their reviews page and put it somewhere else.

"Bullying?!?" Puh-leeze! Chill out, Translator.

Zonker, Dec 4, 2011 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Why "take the already existing commentary away from their reviews page and put it somewhere else?" In two threads no less?! 

If not bullying, what was the point of all this public discussion about a restaurant whose food you haven't tasted? I'm chill, my friend...

Why "take the already existing commentary away from their reviews page and put it somewhere else?" In two threads no less?! 

If not bullying, what was the point of all this public discussion about a restaurant whose food you haven't tasted? I'm chill, my friend...

Translator, Dec 4, 2011 @ 12:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I agree with Translator here. You could have sent your critique to the restaurant owners with a personal message.

I agree with Translator here. You could have sent your critique to the restaurant owners with a personal message.

Edward B, Dec 4, 2011 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Translator does have a point. But let's not forget. Zonker may have a service to offer, but he also an end-user of the website and thus, he has every right to criticize the site publicly.

As I can see it, he is genuinely offering to help the folks out, plus he has outlined issues which are pretty general & affect everyone else who wants to click and get a feel of the place before they really visit the restaurant. That is the reality of the world we live in, whether we like it or not.

As someone who's worked with IT folks for a long time, I can tell you that a list like this rarely comes pro bono and if I were the owner of the business in question, I'd take it positively.

Of course, if someone has a problem with this thread or anyone's comments, there's a button on the right hand bottom corner to do the deed.

Translator does have a point. But let's not forget. Zonker may have a service to offer, but he also an end-user of the website and thus, he has every right to criticize the site publicly.

As I can see it, he is genuinely offering to help the folks out, plus he has outlined issues which are pretty general & affect everyone else who wants to click and get a feel of the place before they really visit the restaurant. That is the reality of the world we live in, whether we like it or not.

As someone who's worked with IT folks for a long time, I can tell you that a list like this rarely comes pro bono and if I were the owner of the business in question, I'd take it positively.

Of course, if someone has a problem with this thread or anyone's comments, there's a button on the right hand bottom corner to do the deed.

Arun K V, Dec 4, 2011 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

OK, point taken.

I've messaged both naufal and sajna explaining my intent, lest it be misunderstood, and apologizing if anything untoward happens or if they are in any way upset at my commentary.

My intent was indeed just friendly advice/commentary about the restaurant's site, only because someone had mentioned the music....

My last line about "contact me..." may have been worded less than optimally, but I was trying to avoid the whole "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" syndrome.

OK, point taken.

I've messaged both naufal and sajna explaining my intent, lest it be misunderstood, and apologizing if anything untoward happens or if they are in any way upset at my commentary.

My intent was indeed just friendly advice/commentary about the restaurant's site, only because someone had mentioned the music....

My last line about "contact me..." may have been worded less than optimally, but I was trying to avoid the whole "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" syndrome.

Zonker, Dec 4, 2011 @ 13:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Dec 4, 11 13:07

Lots of people --not just IT mavens -- give free advice on Glocals and many are grateful for it.  

Rather than single out a particular small business using glocals it might be more helpful to have a group offering IT services to small business owners. Many small businss owners don't even know where to start and how to avoid being ripped off by people who say they can help develop websites.

There are comments and threads that require the "button on the right hand bottom corner."  I tend to use it sparingly...

Lots of people --not just IT mavens -- give free advice on Glocals and many are grateful for it.  

Rather than single out a particular small business using glocals it might be more helpful to have a group offering IT services to small business owners. Many small businss owners don't even know where to start and how to avoid being ripped off by people who say they can help develop websites.

There are comments and threads that require the "button on the right hand bottom corner."  I tend to use it sparingly...

Translator, Dec 4, 2011 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1651 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form