Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > swiss citizenship

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
swiss citizenship
hello,

I have been interested for some days now regarding obtaining swiss citizenship (presently i am a citizen of a non-EU country).

I have seen lots of web sites regarding this and they say pretty much the same thing. An example of this is http://bfm.mit.ch/index.php?id=121&L=3&S=0...

however, the web sites I've seen give an information that I just could not get. they state that
"You can apply for naturalisation if you have lived in Switzerland for at least twelve years. The time between the completion of the 10th and 20th years of age is counted double for this purpose."

- what does "The time between the completion of the 10th and 20th years of age is counted double for this purpose" mean?
- does this mean BEGINNING the age of 10 and UNTIL the age of 20, or BETWEEN age 10 and 20 (meaning, 11-19)?
- I came to Geneva when I was 18. does this mean that I will be able to get a swiss citizenship upon reaching the age of 26?

please enlighten me. thank you very much. :-)
The text you are quoting:
hello,

I have been interested for some days now regarding obtaining swiss citizenship (presently i am a citizen of a non-EU country).

I have seen lots of web sites regarding this and they say pretty much the same thing. An example of this is http://bfm.mit.ch/index.php?id=121&L=3&S=0...

however, the web sites I've seen give an information that I just could not get. they state that
"You can apply for naturalisation if you have lived in Switzerland for at least twelve years. The time between the completion of the 10th and 20th years of age is counted double for this purpose."

- what does "The time between the completion of the 10th and 20th years of age is counted double for this purpose" mean?
- does this mean BEGINNING the age of 10 and UNTIL the age of 20, or BETWEEN age 10 and 20 (meaning, 11-19)?
- I came to Geneva when I was 18. does this mean that I will be able to get a swiss citizenship upon reaching the age of 26?

please enlighten me. thank you very much. :-)
CherrieeJun 27, 2006 @ 16:05
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1466 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: swiss citizenship
Post 1
apply for Swiss citizenship, it's something you also have to pay for, and I heard it's not cheap at all. If you want further info, you can call the "Service des Naturalisations", rue Henry-Fazy 2, phone 022 327 29 57. They are opened from 9h-15h30.
apply for Swiss citizenship, it's something you also have to pay for, and I heard it's not cheap at all. If you want further info, you can call the "Service des Naturalisations", rue Henry-Fazy 2, phone 022 327 29 57. They are opened from 9h-15h30.
Iolly, Jun 27, 2006 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Thanks for the clarification, Tasmin and lolly. I was never really good in math, hehe :-P

another question, let's say I arrived here February 1st 2006, which is a month and 6 days before my 19th birthday, which is March 7th (I was born year 1987). By the time I reach my 28th birthday on March 7th 2015, will they consider me to have lived in Switzerland for a period of 12 years, even if I arrived in Switzerland only a few months before my 19th birthday? Still, I arrived here when I was 18.

How much would the application for naturalisation cost, approximately?

Thank you so much. I am really interested in becoming a Swiss citizen. It's not that I don't like my home country--I love it--but for practical purposes and with all the turmoil back home, Switzerland just seems to be a better place.
Thanks for the clarification, Tasmin and lolly. I was never really good in math, hehe :-P

another question, let's say I arrived here February 1st 2006, which is a month and 6 days before my 19th birthday, which is March 7th (I was born year 1987). By the time I reach my 28th birthday on March 7th 2015, will they consider me to have lived in Switzerland for a period of 12 years, even if I arrived in Switzerland only a few months before my 19th birthday? Still, I arrived here when I was 18.

How much would the application for naturalisation cost, approximately?

Thank you so much. I am really interested in becoming a Swiss citizen. It's not that I don't like my home country--I love it--but for practical purposes and with all the turmoil back home, Switzerland just seems to be a better place.
Cherriee, Jun 27, 2006 @ 17:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
thank you :)

still, i don't get it.. when will i be eligible for naturalisation if I arrived february 2 (sorry, my mistake.. i just checked my passport and I did arrive on the 2nd, not on the 1st of february..) and my birthday is march 7, 1987? thank you so much. :-)
thank you :)

still, i don't get it.. when will i be eligible for naturalisation if I arrived february 2 (sorry, my mistake.. i just checked my passport and I did arrive on the 2nd, not on the 1st of february..) and my birthday is march 7, 1987? thank you so much. :-)
Cherriee, Jun 28, 2006 @ 21:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1466 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form