Login or Sign Up

Forums in Lausanne > Lausanne > Areas to live in Lausanne

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Areas to live in Lausanne

Hi, I'm moving to Switzerland in August to work in Aubonne and I've been advised to live in Lausanne and commute down. The reality of moving to a new city is starting to hit me and I would like to ask for some advice about areas of the city to live in.

I'm female, 35, single and keen to get out and about and meet people and build a social life.  I won't have a car so will need to be close enough to a train station that takes me to Aubonne. I'm active and outdoorsy, which is why I'm looking forward to being in Switzerland for a few years.

I'm visiting Lausanne at the end of the month to scout around for accommodation and hopefully try and secure something for the end of August. Any help/tips/advice would be very helpful, thank you.

The text you are quoting:

Hi, I'm moving to Switzerland in August to work in Aubonne and I've been advised to live in Lausanne and commute down. The reality of moving to a new city is starting to hit me and I would like to ask for some advice about areas of the city to live in.

I'm female, 35, single and keen to get out and about and meet people and build a social life.  I won't have a car so will need to be close enough to a train station that takes me to Aubonne. I'm active and outdoorsy, which is why I'm looking forward to being in Switzerland for a few years.

I'm visiting Lausanne at the end of the month to scout around for accommodation and hopefully try and secure something for the end of August. Any help/tips/advice would be very helpful, thank you.

Wendy GJul 12, 2016 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 3650 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: Areas to live in Lausanne
Post 1

Hello, As you are planning on doing I live in Lausanne and commute to my job in Geneva. It will take you 33 minutes to reach Aubonne, taking a train and then a bus so I would suggest living close to a subway or bus stop in Lausanne (or close to the train station). The subway runs frequently, about avery 5 minutes during rush hour and from 00:20-01:30 every evening a "taxi bus" service costing CHF 4.00 will take you from bus stop (including the train station) to your home. 

There are many nice areas in Lausanne, actually nearly all are pleasant though I would recommend the neighborhood around the train station (Grancy for example or along Avenue d'Ouchy/avenue de la Harpe). A bit north of the train station, Bessières and Ours. Bel Air, Chauderon, Riponne are also nice.

Rents tend to be expensive and housing is in high demand so finding something by the end of August will be extremely difficult: you might be better looking for a place to sublet or to rent a room.

Karin

The text you are quoting:

Hello, As you are planning on doing I live in Lausanne and commute to my job in Geneva. It will take you 33 minutes to reach Aubonne, taking a train and then a bus so I would suggest living close to a subway or bus stop in Lausanne (or close to the train station). The subway runs frequently, about avery 5 minutes during rush hour and from 00:20-01:30 every evening a "taxi bus" service costing CHF 4.00 will take you from bus stop (including the train station) to your home. 

There are many nice areas in Lausanne, actually nearly all are pleasant though I would recommend the neighborhood around the train station (Grancy for example or along Avenue d'Ouchy/avenue de la Harpe). A bit north of the train station, Bessières and Ours. Bel Air, Chauderon, Riponne are also nice.

Rents tend to be expensive and housing is in high demand so finding something by the end of August will be extremely difficult: you might be better looking for a place to sublet or to rent a room.

Karin

Karin E, Jul 15, 2016 @ 09:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 3650 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form