Login or Sign Up

Forums in Lausanne > Lausanne > English as a Foreign Language qualification

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
English as a Foreign Language qualification

Can anyone please give any information regarding training for an EFL course in Lausanne and how much this is likely to cost? Although I have been teaching English for more than 10 years [in Belgium], I do not have an actual recognised qualification. Additionally, we are now retired, so would the cost be effective if future employment would be difficult to find due to age? Thanks in advance for information.

The text you are quoting:

Can anyone please give any information regarding training for an EFL course in Lausanne and how much this is likely to cost? Although I have been teaching English for more than 10 years [in Belgium], I do not have an actual recognised qualification. Additionally, we are now retired, so would the cost be effective if future employment would be difficult to find due to age? Thanks in advance for information.

sheila cMay 9, 2010 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1545 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: English as a Foreign Language qualification
Post 1

Hi Sheila,

First off, I'm sorry but I can't really answer your question about Lausanne since I'm in Geneva and I got my CELTA equivalent before I came here.  However, I'd encourage you to get a CELTA if you want to teach in a Swiss school (public or private) as they are required by eduQua to have only certified teachers.  Furthermore, your age is an advantage as there are a lot of adults learning English here and 10 years of experience will definitely get your CV noticed.

As far as getting the certification, it will probably be rather expensive in Switzerland.  I know people who rented an apartment for a month in Lithuania and did the full time course there for not much more than the price in Ireland at the time.  Check the exchange rates, maybe it will still work somewhere?  International House has an excellent reputation for teacher training.

Otherwise, and I only recommend this option because you already have teaching experience, look into online certification programs.  I always advise new teachers to stay away from them because they don't offer any classroom experience, but if you do some research and make sure that eduQua recognizes their certificate I don't see a reason why an online program wouldn't be a good solution.

Good luck!

Hi Sheila,

First off, I'm sorry but I can't really answer your question about Lausanne since I'm in Geneva and I got my CELTA equivalent before I came here.  However, I'd encourage you to get a CELTA if you want to teach in a Swiss school (public or private) as they are required by eduQua to have only certified teachers.  Furthermore, your age is an advantage as there are a lot of adults learning English here and 10 years of experience will definitely get your CV noticed.

As far as getting the certification, it will probably be rather expensive in Switzerland.  I know people who rented an apartment for a month in Lithuania and did the full time course there for not much more than the price in Ireland at the time.  Check the exchange rates, maybe it will still work somewhere?  International House has an excellent reputation for teacher training.

Otherwise, and I only recommend this option because you already have teaching experience, look into online certification programs.  I always advise new teachers to stay away from them because they don't offer any classroom experience, but if you do some research and make sure that eduQua recognizes their certificate I don't see a reason why an online program wouldn't be a good solution.

Good luck!

Mr.Ben, May 9, 2010 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: English as a Foreign Language qualification
Post 2

Hi Mr Ben

Thank you so much for a full and comprehensive response. It helps a great deal to receive valuable and accurate information. Have a peaceful week teaching!

Hi Mr Ben

Thank you so much for a full and comprehensive response. It helps a great deal to receive valuable and accurate information. Have a peaceful week teaching!

sheila c, May 9, 2010 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1545 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form