Login or Sign Up

Forums in Lausanne > Lausanne > How to... many things!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How to... many things!
 Hello Everyone,

I arrived in Lausanne today and was wondering if anyone can give advice on a few things:

Which is the best bank to use for a foreigner in terms of ease and what someone from Britain has to give to get the account opened?  I have heard it's tricky!

Another problem is the public transport and what kind of passes you can get whether its annual or monthly.  My french is strong but I did not understand the website at all!!

One last thing is mobile phones:  Does anyone have an opinion on the best operator to use? Especially for texting and calls to abroad?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have... I'm trying not to get lost in all the stress of moving! And the guides aren't working right now on Glocals... bad, bad timing =)!

The text you are quoting:
 Hello Everyone,

I arrived in Lausanne today and was wondering if anyone can give advice on a few things:

Which is the best bank to use for a foreigner in terms of ease and what someone from Britain has to give to get the account opened?  I have heard it's tricky!

Another problem is the public transport and what kind of passes you can get whether its annual or monthly.  My french is strong but I did not understand the website at all!!

One last thing is mobile phones:  Does anyone have an opinion on the best operator to use? Especially for texting and calls to abroad?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have... I'm trying not to get lost in all the stress of moving! And the guides aren't working right now on Glocals... bad, bad timing =)!

Meera NAug 15, 2009 @ 20:49
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 4845 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How to... many things!
Post 1
 Hi Meera, and welcome!

I don't have much experience here, since I've only been in Lausanne for 2 weeks, but I just went through the bank and transport experiences:

- For bank I opened an account in UBS, I was told its one of the most friendly for foreigners, and it seems so. I went to the office in St Francois and there was people who spoke english and helped through all the process. The ebanking and all the letters can be chosen from different languages (english and spanish included) and to open the account they asked for: identification, work contract and residence permit (a copy of the applying for is ok if you just arrived).

-  For the transport you have multiple options: the price depends on how many zones will need to travel through, and you can get monthly and yearly tickets, you can check it here: http://www.mobilis-vaud.ch/tarifs/abonnements/.
The typical monthly ticket for 2 zones (Lausanne area) is 60 chf, and you can get it at the T-L offices in Flon. When I got there the man spoke english and spanish, so again no language problem. Oh, and you need and id and a photo.

- About the phone, I'm just checking it for myself, and in yallo (yallo.ch) you can get a 20chf phone with 5chf in credit, and if I don't remember bad its around 0,25ch/min abroad to certain countries. Other options are sunrise, orange and swisscom (this one seems to be the most expensive)

Hope that helps, and good luck with the moving!
Jose
 Hi Meera, and welcome!

I don't have much experience here, since I've only been in Lausanne for 2 weeks, but I just went through the bank and transport experiences:

- For bank I opened an account in UBS, I was told its one of the most friendly for foreigners, and it seems so. I went to the office in St Francois and there was people who spoke english and helped through all the process. The ebanking and all the letters can be chosen from different languages (english and spanish included) and to open the account they asked for: identification, work contract and residence permit (a copy of the applying for is ok if you just arrived).

-  For the transport you have multiple options: the price depends on how many zones will need to travel through, and you can get monthly and yearly tickets, you can check it here: http://www.mobilis-vaud.ch/tarifs/abonnements/.
The typical monthly ticket for 2 zones (Lausanne area) is 60 chf, and you can get it at the T-L offices in Flon. When I got there the man spoke english and spanish, so again no language problem. Oh, and you need and id and a photo.

- About the phone, I'm just checking it for myself, and in yallo (yallo.ch) you can get a 20chf phone with 5chf in credit, and if I don't remember bad its around 0,25ch/min abroad to certain countries. Other options are sunrise, orange and swisscom (this one seems to be the most expensive)

Hope that helps, and good luck with the moving!
Jose

Jose S, Aug 16, 2009 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Thank you so much for all your advice Jose!  It will be a great help to me this week.  And if I learn anything extra about the phones, I will pass it on!

Good luck to you too with settling into Lausanne life,

Meera
 Thank you so much for all your advice Jose!  It will be a great help to me this week.  And if I learn anything extra about the phones, I will pass it on!

Good luck to you too with settling into Lausanne life,

Meera

Meera N, Aug 16, 2009 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 He Meera - I've only been in Lausanne a couple of months - my French is pretty poor (getting better! :-) and i've very much had to fend for myself and gone through a steep learning curve - so am happy to pass on info and make life as easy as possible.

Banking - the choice reallly is between UBS and Credit Suisse.  I opted for Credit Suisse only because UBS are a bit unstable at the moment, and a colleague went for CS and found them marvellous.  Their online banking site is really easy - in English and I do all my banking online.  My "Account Manager" has been really helpful with all sorts of things financial.  Her details are: Biljana Simic - 021 340 46 35.  She opened an account for me, even though I had no permanent address at the time, and I received a debit card within 3 days!  I had no proof of address, only my B permit, passport and contract of employment.  She allowed me to apply for a credit card (you automatically get 2 - AMEX and either Mastercard or Visa) and as soon as I advised her of my permanent address, I was automatically sent the credit cards. 

My boss is with UBS and he struggled to get his credit cards sorted, his online banking has loads of glitches and he seems to have lots of "niggles" with UBS, that I never experience with CS.  The branch above, is located just up from St Francois at Rue de Lion D'or 5-7.

Transport - as Jose said, it depends where you're travelling from and to.  However remember that  monthly pass (whether Mobilis or SBB) is the cheapest way to travel.  As a guide - a weeks pass is the equivalent of 3 days return journeys, and a month's pass is the equivalent of 2 weeks daily return journeys - so WAY cheaper than single trips or weekly passes.  Also check out the SBB website (in English and super efficient) for special deals. 

At the moment (and irritatingly you have to ask to find out) SBB are doing the General Abbonnement (the unlimited travel card for the whole of Switzerland) for 200 CHF a month if you are a holder of a Demi-Tarriff card.  The GA is normally 350CHF, but you can buy it at 200CHF for up to 6 months purchase (i.e. you can buy from 1 month to 6 months - again this is a special offer as its normally only available annualy).  The offer (which WAS online but disappeared) is valid until the end of September.  My monthly pass (from Lausanne to Rolle where I work) is 175 CHF, so for an extra 25 CHFs a month, I can get unlimited travel - its a no-brainer as that's just one trip to the airport!   You just need ask at the Gare in Lausanne station - you'll always find something to speak English!

Mobiles - I can't help you with other than to say that my Swiss.com mobile from work is brilliant, I can always get a signal and the calls to other Swiss.com mobiles seem to cost buttons!!  I have friends who have cheap "pay as you go" who can never get signals, or who pay a fortune for their calls and sms.  Like all things here - you get what you pay for!!

Also - if you're looking for an apartment - I went through the very painful process and finally found a beauty on Ave D'Ouchy - if you need helps with that.  Please just ask. 

Good luck with everything and welcome to the most beautiful city in the most beautiful country in the world!
Carolyn :-)
 He Meera - I've only been in Lausanne a couple of months - my French is pretty poor (getting better! :-) and i've very much had to fend for myself and gone through a steep learning curve - so am happy to pass on info and make life as easy as possible.

Banking - the choice reallly is between UBS and Credit Suisse.  I opted for Credit Suisse only because UBS are a bit unstable at the moment, and a colleague went for CS and found them marvellous.  Their online banking site is really easy - in English and I do all my banking online.  My "Account Manager" has been really helpful with all sorts of things financial.  Her details are: Biljana Simic - 021 340 46 35.  She opened an account for me, even though I had no permanent address at the time, and I received a debit card within 3 days!  I had no proof of address, only my B permit, passport and contract of employment.  She allowed me to apply for a credit card (you automatically get 2 - AMEX and either Mastercard or Visa) and as soon as I advised her of my permanent address, I was automatically sent the credit cards. 

My boss is with UBS and he struggled to get his credit cards sorted, his online banking has loads of glitches and he seems to have lots of "niggles" with UBS, that I never experience with CS.  The branch above, is located just up from St Francois at Rue de Lion D'or 5-7.

Transport - as Jose said, it depends where you're travelling from and to.  However remember that  monthly pass (whether Mobilis or SBB) is the cheapest way to travel.  As a guide - a weeks pass is the equivalent of 3 days return journeys, and a month's pass is the equivalent of 2 weeks daily return journeys - so WAY cheaper than single trips or weekly passes.  Also check out the SBB website (in English and super efficient) for special deals. 

At the moment (and irritatingly you have to ask to find out) SBB are doing the General Abbonnement (the unlimited travel card for the whole of Switzerland) for 200 CHF a month if you are a holder of a Demi-Tarriff card.  The GA is normally 350CHF, but you can buy it at 200CHF for up to 6 months purchase (i.e. you can buy from 1 month to 6 months - again this is a special offer as its normally only available annualy).  The offer (which WAS online but disappeared) is valid until the end of September.  My monthly pass (from Lausanne to Rolle where I work) is 175 CHF, so for an extra 25 CHFs a month, I can get unlimited travel - its a no-brainer as that's just one trip to the airport!   You just need ask at the Gare in Lausanne station - you'll always find something to speak English!

Mobiles - I can't help you with other than to say that my Swiss.com mobile from work is brilliant, I can always get a signal and the calls to other Swiss.com mobiles seem to cost buttons!!  I have friends who have cheap "pay as you go" who can never get signals, or who pay a fortune for their calls and sms.  Like all things here - you get what you pay for!!

Also - if you're looking for an apartment - I went through the very painful process and finally found a beauty on Ave D'Ouchy - if you need helps with that.  Please just ask. 

Good luck with everything and welcome to the most beautiful city in the most beautiful country in the world!
Carolyn :-)
Carolyn C, Aug 16, 2009 @ 18:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Welcome in Lausanne,
Carolyn is giving excellent advice.
The General Pass of the CFF/SBB (swiss railway) replaces the Half Price /Demi-Tarif card, and offers "free" travel all over switzerland. Mind it includes all local travel and so you would not need then any additional bus (mobilis) pass.
Good luck
jasper

Welcome in Lausanne,
Carolyn is giving excellent advice.
The General Pass of the CFF/SBB (swiss railway) replaces the Half Price /Demi-Tarif card, and offers "free" travel all over switzerland. Mind it includes all local travel and so you would not need then any additional bus (mobilis) pass.
Good luck
jasper

jasper, Aug 16, 2009 @ 18:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Thanks to both Jasper and Carolync - It's great to receive so much advice... it will make my work a lot easier!

Accomodation-wise I have a temporary apartment but desperately want to find a house/apartment to share with people in order to have some company around.  However at the same time, I'll entertain any solo apartments as well as I don't want to be homeless in one month!

Thanks again,

Meera
Thanks to both Jasper and Carolync - It's great to receive so much advice... it will make my work a lot easier!

Accomodation-wise I have a temporary apartment but desperately want to find a house/apartment to share with people in order to have some company around.  However at the same time, I'll entertain any solo apartments as well as I don't want to be homeless in one month!

Thanks again,

Meera

Meera N, Aug 16, 2009 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
 hi meera,

i am really quite surprised to see that no one knows about the post office bank and their banking services called post finance.

i've lived here 40 yrs and the post office has, in the last 15 yrs, taken over most of the retail banking business from the major swiss banks. this is because swiss banks are expensive and don't really care about the average man/woman in the street type of customer. their only interest is large business accounts.

some basic advantages: cheaper services, open on saturday mornings, all the on-line services you'll need, ATM's all over the world, very small service charges, all is in english, easy on line payments, AND most important....they do not reveal any information to anyone about your account. as the swiss post office is not having any "branches" in other countries, they are not pressured by any other country's banking laws.

opening an account is simple.....no work contract or other stuff required. just your address and id card. also your post office bank card can be combined with a discounted rail card (halp price or general pass) and a free credit card :-)
 hi meera,

i am really quite surprised to see that no one knows about the post office bank and their banking services called post finance.

i've lived here 40 yrs and the post office has, in the last 15 yrs, taken over most of the retail banking business from the major swiss banks. this is because swiss banks are expensive and don't really care about the average man/woman in the street type of customer. their only interest is large business accounts.

some basic advantages: cheaper services, open on saturday mornings, all the on-line services you'll need, ATM's all over the world, very small service charges, all is in english, easy on line payments, AND most important....they do not reveal any information to anyone about your account. as the swiss post office is not having any "branches" in other countries, they are not pressured by any other country's banking laws.

opening an account is simple.....no work contract or other stuff required. just your address and id card. also your post office bank card can be combined with a discounted rail card (halp price or general pass) and a free credit card :-)

epicure, Aug 17, 2009 @ 07:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
 Hi Meera,

if you are looking for a flat, the website anibis.ch might help you. There are locals posting their offers. The market is very close, so don't hesitate to contact the people straight away, as a flat can be taken VERY quickly.
On Mondays, the 24 heures journal shows also the latest offerings.
And lastely, you can also step into the agencies like De Rham, Bernard Nicod and others who have some print outs for 1/2/3 and more room appartments.

Be prepared to submit your "dossier" including a copy of your B permit, passport, salary information, sometimes you are asked for an "assurance RC" (assurance responsabilité civile) and a verification that you don't have any unpaid obligations (to get from the Office des poursuites). 
I was lucky to get a recommendation from my company, this might help you as well.  
Good luck!
 Hi Meera,

if you are looking for a flat, the website anibis.ch might help you. There are locals posting their offers. The market is very close, so don't hesitate to contact the people straight away, as a flat can be taken VERY quickly.
On Mondays, the 24 heures journal shows also the latest offerings.
And lastely, you can also step into the agencies like De Rham, Bernard Nicod and others who have some print outs for 1/2/3 and more room appartments.

Be prepared to submit your "dossier" including a copy of your B permit, passport, salary information, sometimes you are asked for an "assurance RC" (assurance responsabilité civile) and a verification that you don't have any unpaid obligations (to get from the Office des poursuites). 
I was lucky to get a recommendation from my company, this might help you as well.  
Good luck!
sponkt, Aug 18, 2009 @ 16:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
 Thanks again to everyone for the advice... I have had a busy week but now only have an apartment left to find! .... and some much needed sleep.  I have three weeks until I have to move out of my temp studio so it should be ok without being homeless!
 Thanks again to everyone for the advice... I have had a busy week but now only have an apartment left to find! .... and some much needed sleep.  I have three weeks until I have to move out of my temp studio so it should be ok without being homeless!

Meera N, Aug 19, 2009 @ 20:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 4845 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form