Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > A good book in French?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
A good book in French?

Hi guys,

I'd like to kindly ask more experienced members for a piece of advice. I'm doing an advanced French course and the latest homework is to read a book in French – any book, we can choose according to our taste.

The problem is that I have no idea how to choose, I barely read – sorry to admit that L And I’m afraid when I go to e.g. Payot I’ll be lost in the shelves not knowing where to turn…

My first French book should be a real success to encourage me for the future, that’s why I think it’s important for me to find the right one. It can be a foreign author translated into good French.

Here is my idea:

- The book should be thin, not too archaic, French not too difficult - e.g. Victor Hugo’s books are out of question :)

- I’m not a fan of novels and stories which are just 100% inventions in authors’ heads (then I have difficulties to distinguish whether I should believe it or not, it seems too unreal for me…)

- Ideally, it should be based on a true story, or at the most opinions/observations about certain events, or reports from trips/travelling remarks, autobiographies, etc.

- … and…. The most importantly – it should be FUN. I mean really for laughing, not only “interesting” or “written by a master of pen”,  it should be entertaining to keep me going until the end, I don’t want to stop in the middle…

If I don’t have too many requirements and you think you have a title in mind to suggest me, I’d be very interested to hear it!

And the last condition… It should be something available in the shop or internet, I don’t have any library card to dig it out from old archives…

MANY THANKS, indeed!

Sonia

The text you are quoting:

Hi guys,

I'd like to kindly ask more experienced members for a piece of advice. I'm doing an advanced French course and the latest homework is to read a book in French – any book, we can choose according to our taste.

The problem is that I have no idea how to choose, I barely read – sorry to admit that L And I’m afraid when I go to e.g. Payot I’ll be lost in the shelves not knowing where to turn…

My first French book should be a real success to encourage me for the future, that’s why I think it’s important for me to find the right one. It can be a foreign author translated into good French.

Here is my idea:

- The book should be thin, not too archaic, French not too difficult - e.g. Victor Hugo’s books are out of question :)

- I’m not a fan of novels and stories which are just 100% inventions in authors’ heads (then I have difficulties to distinguish whether I should believe it or not, it seems too unreal for me…)

- Ideally, it should be based on a true story, or at the most opinions/observations about certain events, or reports from trips/travelling remarks, autobiographies, etc.

- … and…. The most importantly – it should be FUN. I mean really for laughing, not only “interesting” or “written by a master of pen”,  it should be entertaining to keep me going until the end, I don’t want to stop in the middle…

If I don’t have too many requirements and you think you have a title in mind to suggest me, I’d be very interested to hear it!

And the last condition… It should be something available in the shop or internet, I don’t have any library card to dig it out from old archives…

MANY THANKS, indeed!

Sonia

klabaFeb 25, 2013 @ 11:23
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1670 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: A good book in French?
Post 1

Go for any fairy tales available at any book stores. They are fun, smart and easy to read though not so simple. This is how I learned my French:-)

Go for any fairy tales available at any book stores. They are fun, smart and easy to read though not so simple. This is how I learned my French:-)

Abigail White, Feb 26, 2013 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Les hockeyeurs   

its funny and easy ;)

Les hockeyeurs   

its funny and easy ;)

Mari-Liis B, Feb 26, 2013 @ 16:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Read a classic and expand your culture:

Le Petit Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

You can even find free electronic versions of it.

Read a classic and expand your culture:

Le Petit Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

You can even find free electronic versions of it.

TheOmegaMan, Feb 26, 2013 @ 17:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Les hockeyeurs   

its funny and easy ;)

Feb 26, 13 16:28

Just like you.

Sorry, I couldn't help it... Embarassed

Just like you.

catalin, Feb 26, 2013 @ 17:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Just like you.

Feb 26, 13 17:37

Thank you to bump my popularity, Laughing

Thank you to bump my popularity, Laughing

Mari-Liis B, Feb 26, 2013 @ 20:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Le Petite Prince

short, clever, and philosophical

Le Petite Prince

short, clever, and philosophical

nini s, Feb 27, 2013 @ 21:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Le magasin de suicides - Jean Teule, luckily 100% fiction but very funny

Le magasin de suicides - Jean Teule, luckily 100% fiction but very funny

Andreea P, Feb 27, 2013 @ 23:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

It is more of a spy novel but it has won a couple of literiary prizes. It is written by a gentleman from Geneva - Joël Dicker.

Link to book: http://www.amazon.fr/Les-derniers-jours-nos-p%C3%A8res/dp/2877067815

Link to his Wikipedia page: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%ABl_Dicker

It is more of a spy novel but it has won a couple of literiary prizes. It is written by a gentleman from Geneva - Joël Dicker.

Link to book: http://www.amazon.fr/Les-derniers-jours-nos-p%C3%A8res/dp/2877067815

Link to his Wikipedia page: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%ABl_Dicker

Verbier, Feb 28, 2013 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

HHHH by Laurent Binet

It recounts Operation Anthropoid, the assassination of Nazi leader Reinhard Heydrich in Prague during World War II. It was awarded the 2010 Prix Goncourt du Premier Roman.

Totally breath taking 

HHHH by Laurent Binet

It recounts Operation Anthropoid, the assassination of Nazi leader Reinhard Heydrich in Prague during World War II. It was awarded the 2010 Prix Goncourt du Premier Roman.

Totally breath taking 

François M, May 3, 2013 @ 17:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

What kind of story do you like ? are you more about history, romantic, adventure, sci-fi, fantasy ?  (erotic ?)

A book is more interesting to read when it's about something you like....  it's even more important when you read in a foreign language....  I don't think i would have read tolkien in English if I wasn't interested by those kind of stories...

You can also try a library, they have some books in French. You still can ask to the librarians for some advices, I'm sure they will be happy to help you to choose something easy to read. (I worked a bit in a library, so I know they will be happy to help you...)

What kind of story do you like ? are you more about history, romantic, adventure, sci-fi, fantasy ?  (erotic ?)

A book is more interesting to read when it's about something you like....  it's even more important when you read in a foreign language....  I don't think i would have read tolkien in English if I wasn't interested by those kind of stories...

You can also try a library, they have some books in French. You still can ask to the librarians for some advices, I'm sure they will be happy to help you to choose something easy to read. (I worked a bit in a library, so I know they will be happy to help you...)

bertrand hubert r, May 3, 2013 @ 18:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

"The Count of Monte Cristo " By "Alexander Dumas,,,Robin Buss"
'On what slender threads do life and fortune hang'

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantès is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration. Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular success when it was first serialised in the 1840s.

Robin Buss' lively translation is complete and unabridged, and remains faithful to the style of Dumas' original. This edition includes an introduction, explanatory notes and suggestions for further reading.

"The Count of Monte Cristo " By "Alexander Dumas,,,Robin Buss"
'On what slender threads do life and fortune hang'

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantès is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration. Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular success when it was first serialised in the 1840s.

Robin Buss' lively translation is complete and unabridged, and remains faithful to the style of Dumas' original. This edition includes an introduction, explanatory notes and suggestions for further reading.

hassel lee, May 20, 2013 @ 09:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hello,

I would recommend you to read "Les fourmis" (the ants) from Bernard Werber, half documentary, half detective fiction. It's actual french (unlike some old book proposed in previous posts), shouldn't be too complicated, contains some pictures and is based on many interesting facts (mostly scientific). It's fun and entertaining - I read it with pleasure when I was maybe 14 y.o., so it isn't very complicated :)

Hello,

I would recommend you to read "Les fourmis" (the ants) from Bernard Werber, half documentary, half detective fiction. It's actual french (unlike some old book proposed in previous posts), shouldn't be too complicated, contains some pictures and is based on many interesting facts (mostly scientific). It's fun and entertaining - I read it with pleasure when I was maybe 14 y.o., so it isn't very complicated :)

Yoann P, May 20, 2013 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hello !

Si tu lis en français, je peux t'écrire dans cette langue.  

J'aimerais te recommander le livre "Balzac et la Petite Tailleuse chinoise. Le roman se déroule en Chine, à l'époque de la révolution culturelle lancée par Mao Zedong. Cette révolution cible essentiellement les intellectuels (comme les parents des deux héros). L'auteur est franco-chinois mais c'est écrit dans un très bon français !! Le vocabulaire utilisé est assez riche. C'est une autobiographie. 

Il y a aussi le livre d'Amanda Sthers "Les terres saintes". Il est facile à lire et plutôt amusant. C’est un roman sur les limites de chacun, sur ce qu’on ne se dit pas, ou trop tard. Sur les élans du coeur qui restent coincés dans la gorge. Sur les instants qui passent et qu’on n’a pas su saisir. Sur la petite histoire dans la grande.

Sinon, il y a "Zazie dans le métro" de Queneau ou "Au bonheur des ogres" de Pennac.

N'hésite pas à demander à un libraire de t'aider si jamais. Chez Payot, ils conseillent très bien. 

Bonne lecture !! 

Patrick

Hello !

Si tu lis en français, je peux t'écrire dans cette langue.  

J'aimerais te recommander le livre "Balzac et la Petite Tailleuse chinoise. Le roman se déroule en Chine, à l'époque de la révolution culturelle lancée par Mao Zedong. Cette révolution cible essentiellement les intellectuels (comme les parents des deux héros). L'auteur est franco-chinois mais c'est écrit dans un très bon français !! Le vocabulaire utilisé est assez riche. C'est une autobiographie. 

Il y a aussi le livre d'Amanda Sthers "Les terres saintes". Il est facile à lire et plutôt amusant. C’est un roman sur les limites de chacun, sur ce qu’on ne se dit pas, ou trop tard. Sur les élans du coeur qui restent coincés dans la gorge. Sur les instants qui passent et qu’on n’a pas su saisir. Sur la petite histoire dans la grande.

Sinon, il y a "Zazie dans le métro" de Queneau ou "Au bonheur des ogres" de Pennac.

N'hésite pas à demander à un libraire de t'aider si jamais. Chez Payot, ils conseillent très bien. 

Bonne lecture !! 

Patrick

Patrick S, May 20, 2013 @ 12:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

"Journey to the End of the Night" by Louis-Ferdinand Céline, Ralph Manheim (Translator), William T. Vollmann (Afterword)
This novel is based on a literary symphony of violence, cruelty and obscene nihilism.

"Journey to the End of the Night" by Louis-Ferdinand Céline, Ralph Manheim (Translator), William T. Vollmann (Afterword)
This novel is based on a literary symphony of violence, cruelty and obscene nihilism.

hassel lee, May 21, 2013 @ 09:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1670 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form