Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Advice about E-Books please?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advice about E-Books please?
 Hi - can anyone give me a users opinion on the various E-book formats available? I travel quite a lot, and want to cut down on luggage. I read a LOT, so wanted to get a format where I can download a lot of books of all different kinds. I'm also not into gadgets at all, so something easy to use will suit me best. Anyone with any experience who could give me some advice? NB - a Kindel won't work due to the need for a US connection.

Any advice most welcome. 

Renia 
The text you are quoting:
 Hi - can anyone give me a users opinion on the various E-book formats available? I travel quite a lot, and want to cut down on luggage. I read a LOT, so wanted to get a format where I can download a lot of books of all different kinds. I'm also not into gadgets at all, so something easy to use will suit me best. Anyone with any experience who could give me some advice? NB - a Kindel won't work due to the need for a US connection.

Any advice most welcome. 

Renia 
glocalinfoOct 3, 2009 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1702 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advice about E-Books please?
Post 1
Hi, the Kindle has a free connection when you are in the USA (with Sprint), but if you are abroad you can get the e-books by internet (throught your computer usb port).
The only difficulty is to buy it (the Kindle itself), but if you have a friend or family in the States they can buy it for you.
The main advantages of kindle from other ebook readers is that it has a bigger screen, so it makes it easier to read it, and of course you have a lot of choice of books from Amazon.

Hi, the Kindle has a free connection when you are in the USA (with Sprint), but if you are abroad you can get the e-books by internet (throught your computer usb port).
The only difficulty is to buy it (the Kindle itself), but if you have a friend or family in the States they can buy it for you.
The main advantages of kindle from other ebook readers is that it has a bigger screen, so it makes it easier to read it, and of course you have a lot of choice of books from Amazon.

R2D2, Oct 3, 2009 @ 23:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Dear Renia,

I am an avid Kindle user, but you need to buy it in the US and then use a US based Credit Card to buy the books online, but you can download them straight to your PC and copy over to the Kindle.  If you like to read classics, I suggest checking out the Gutenburg Project (www.gutenberg.org) as they are a repository for thousands of e-books that are not copyrighted (and are free). You can get all the classics, and they offer multi language books as well.

I was a close buy to the Sony e-reader when I got it as it is more format friendly (i.e., all e-books but the kindle ones work in it).  There are a lot of new readers coming out so enjoy.

Dan
 Dear Renia,

I am an avid Kindle user, but you need to buy it in the US and then use a US based Credit Card to buy the books online, but you can download them straight to your PC and copy over to the Kindle.  If you like to read classics, I suggest checking out the Gutenburg Project (www.gutenberg.org) as they are a repository for thousands of e-books that are not copyrighted (and are free). You can get all the classics, and they offer multi language books as well.

I was a close buy to the Sony e-reader when I got it as it is more format friendly (i.e., all e-books but the kindle ones work in it).  There are a lot of new readers coming out so enjoy.

Dan

drleblanc, Oct 4, 2009 @ 12:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Renia,

My wife and I both have Sony E-readers. Her's is a PRS 505 and mine a PRS 700. (mine is actually my 2nd, as I lost one on a trip) Both are great and we find all the books we want to read on Sony's web site. Prices are half what you would pay in a book store. We have a single account, a single shared library and only have to purchase the book once. We've been using our readers for about a year and don't have one complaint.

I don't know if the Kindle has the same features as the Sony, but both of them get good reviews.  Either way, I'm convinced and wont ever carry a large hardback again. Now I carry 60, or so books in my carry on bag and always have something to read.

I think you'd probably be happy with either product.

KEN///

Hi Renia,

My wife and I both have Sony E-readers. Her's is a PRS 505 and mine a PRS 700. (mine is actually my 2nd, as I lost one on a trip) Both are great and we find all the books we want to read on Sony's web site. Prices are half what you would pay in a book store. We have a single account, a single shared library and only have to purchase the book once. We've been using our readers for about a year and don't have one complaint.

I don't know if the Kindle has the same features as the Sony, but both of them get good reviews.  Either way, I'm convinced and wont ever carry a large hardback again. Now I carry 60, or so books in my carry on bag and always have something to read.

I think you'd probably be happy with either product.

KEN///

intlrep1, Nov 12, 2009 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, Amazon has released Kindle for iPhone for FREE! You can get the same books and read it that way. Currently, you can't subscribe to magazines and there are other limitations, but it suits me fine. I love carrying around *one* device that does so much.

If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, Amazon has released Kindle for iPhone for FREE! You can get the same books and read it that way. Currently, you can't subscribe to magazines and there are other limitations, but it suits me fine. I love carrying around *one* device that does so much.

Zonker, Nov 12, 2009 @ 22:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1702 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form