Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > And one to avoid... the Historian

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
And one to avoid... the Historian
Dracula myth notwithstanding. Hype was misplaced. After a bottle of champagne at brunch, all I can coherently say is that if you want to slog through 600+ pages and not even find out the main character's name, please do. I would love to hear a dissenting opinion.
The text you are quoting:
Dracula myth notwithstanding. Hype was misplaced. After a bottle of champagne at brunch, all I can coherently say is that if you want to slog through 600+ pages and not even find out the main character's name, please do. I would love to hear a dissenting opinion.
misskateNov 5, 2005 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1318 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: And one to avoid... the Historian
Post 1
I just started this thing...and I bought the hard cover!!
And yes, I'm already slightly bored after 2 chapters : (
I just started this thing...and I bought the hard cover!!
And yes, I'm already slightly bored after 2 chapters : (
Tigger, Nov 7, 2005 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: And one to avoid... the Historian
Post 2
Sorry about that. Should have posted sooner. It is actually quite an interesting read in terms of setting (1950s and 1970s Eastern Europe). I just hate amateur tricks like never revealing the narrator's first name. (Maybe I missed it, I did skip about a hundred pages) The whole Turkish angle of the myth of Dracula is excellent, but wow, someone needed to edit this book. If it had been cut down to about 250-400 pages, it would have been superb. Instead, you get to feel all literary and smug for having fought your way to the end. Blech.
Sorry about that. Should have posted sooner. It is actually quite an interesting read in terms of setting (1950s and 1970s Eastern Europe). I just hate amateur tricks like never revealing the narrator's first name. (Maybe I missed it, I did skip about a hundred pages) The whole Turkish angle of the myth of Dracula is excellent, but wow, someone needed to edit this book. If it had been cut down to about 250-400 pages, it would have been superb. Instead, you get to feel all literary and smug for having fought your way to the end. Blech.
misskate, Nov 7, 2005 @ 11:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1318 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form