Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Anyone found the "Beyond Chocolate: Understanding Swiss Culture" book helpful?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Anyone found the "Beyond Chocolate: Understanding Swiss Culture" book helpful?

Hi all,

Trying to explain a friend moving here about Switzerland and what to expect I came across this book. So, If you read it --> http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Chocolate-Understanding-Swiss-Culture/dp/3905252066/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299606966&sr=1-1 --> did you understand the swiss culture better? Would you recommend it to a new joiner :-)?

Roy

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

Trying to explain a friend moving here about Switzerland and what to expect I came across this book. So, If you read it --> http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Chocolate-Understanding-Swiss-Culture/dp/3905252066/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299606966&sr=1-1 --> did you understand the swiss culture better? Would you recommend it to a new joiner :-)?

Roy

Roy MMar 8, 2011 @ 18:55
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

25 Replies | 3550 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Anyone found the "Beyond Chocolate: Understanding Swiss Culture" book helpful?
Post 1

all i learnt from that book is that Im an apricot...

all i learnt from that book is that Im an apricot...

Charlie, Mar 8, 2011 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Anyone found the "Beyond Chocolate: Understanding Swiss Culture" book helpful?
Post 2

I thought it was "peach," Charlie...

richardm, Mar 8, 2011 @ 19:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Mar 8, 11 19:34

which is furrier???

which is furrier???

Charlie, Mar 8, 2011 @ 19:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi all,

Roy

Mar 8, 11 18:55

Yes, I would! It helped me - even as a German - to better understand the sometimes uncharming (sorry) Swiss way of being.

Yes, I would! It helped me - even as a German - to better understand the sometimes uncharming (sorry) Swiss way of being.

rena, Mar 8, 2011 @ 21:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Though uncharming behaviour can also be found in Germany.... Anyway I liked the bookLaughing

Though uncharming behaviour can also be found in Germany.... Anyway I liked the bookLaughing

rena, Mar 8, 2011 @ 21:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

From the perspective of an outsider (me), the Swiss Germans and the "real" Germans have much in common.

Did you hear that?  That's the sound of hundreds of Swiss Germans reaching for their torches and pitchforks...  Innocent

From the perspective of an outsider (me), the Swiss Germans and the "real" Germans have much in common.

Did you hear that?  That's the sound of hundreds of Swiss Germans reaching for their torches and pitchforks...  Innocent

richardm, Mar 8, 2011 @ 21:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Mar 8, 11 21:30

Absolutely, Germany is just the biggest KantonTongue out

rena, Mar 8, 2011 @ 22:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Mar 8, 11 22:06

...and Canada is the 51st US state, though we're going to sell it and pay off the national debt soon.

...and Canada is the 51st US state, though we're going to sell it and pay off the national debt soon.

richardm, Mar 8, 2011 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

thanks for your replies, i was reading a bit in oreilly and understood what you've all meant about peaches and so.

So, for those of you who didn't read the book, the writer says the expats from warm countries, are open, livley, easy going, basically easy to get into them, like the soft peach... while swiss, are hard, strong and cold to the outside, but once you get in (Question is when...) you find out how sweet, true friends and amazing they are, like the coconut milk (sweet and so), in summary:

Exapts == Peaches, Swiss == Coconuts... there it is, i ruined the end :-)

Actually found a youtube movie explainning it, but she says that germans are coconuts and americans are peaches, now i'm confused...

thanks for your replies, i was reading a bit in oreilly and understood what you've all meant about peaches and so.

So, for those of you who didn't read the book, the writer says the expats from warm countries, are open, livley, easy going, basically easy to get into them, like the soft peach... while swiss, are hard, strong and cold to the outside, but once you get in (Question is when...) you find out how sweet, true friends and amazing they are, like the coconut milk (sweet and so), in summary:

Actually found a youtube movie explainning it, but she says that germans are coconuts and americans are peaches, now i'm confused...

Roy M, Mar 9, 2011 @ 00:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I dunno... its all a hard nut to crack to me...

I dunno... its all a hard nut to crack to me...

Charlie, Mar 9, 2011 @ 09:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Mar 9, 11 00:06

I can not confirm that and want to state that I am not a German coconut!

rena, Mar 9, 2011 @ 09:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Looool ! I have to get me this book!! I was laughing out loud in the office! What if you're a Swiss peach? A conundrum?? Laughing

Looool ! I have to get me this book!! I was laughing out loud in the office! What if you're a Swiss peach? A conundrum?? Laughing

Tina H, Mar 9, 2011 @ 09:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Tina, Swiss peaches don't exist (according to the book).Foot in mouthLaughing

rena, Mar 9, 2011 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I prefer nectarines

I prefer nectarines

catalin, Mar 9, 2011 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Mar 9, 11 09:28

mmmm....

Avocado?

mmmm....

Avocado?

Charlie, Mar 9, 2011 @ 10:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I prefer nectarines

Mar 9, 11 09:48

youre a lemon...

youre a lemon...

Charlie, Mar 9, 2011 @ 10:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

youre a lemon...

Mar 9, 11 10:31

I think you mean juicy

I think you mean juicy

catalin, Mar 9, 2011 @ 10:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I think you mean juicy

Mar 9, 11 10:32

no...

no...

Charlie, Mar 9, 2011 @ 11:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Mar 9, 11 09:42

What about half-Swiss, half-American peaches then ? Laughing

What about half-Swiss, half-American peaches then ? Laughing

Tina H, Mar 9, 2011 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

I found the book helpful and a good insight to living in Switzerland.

Not sure which category I belong to, def NOT a coconut but is there something more extrovert than a peach? Pineapple? Anyway they all think i'm a crazy auslander. hehe!

I found the book helpful and a good insight to living in Switzerland.

Not sure which category I belong to, def NOT a coconut but is there something more extrovert than a peach? Pineapple? Anyway they all think i'm a crazy auslander. hehe!

Angie M, Mar 9, 2011 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hi all,

Roy

Mar 8, 11 18:55

I would tell them to learn German as soon they get here. Really helps settling in. I realise it as I start to try and speak my 15 german sentences :)

I would tell them to learn German as soon they get here. Really helps settling in. I realise it as I start to try and speak my 15 german sentences :)

Angie M, Mar 9, 2011 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

I prefer nectarines

Mar 9, 11 09:48

I prefer ballarinas..

I prefer ballarinas..

FerneyL, Mar 10, 2011 @ 00:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

I don't know about that video, is she the author?

I read the book shortly after arriving here ten years ago. The basic concept is helpful in understanding how 'germanic' people (is that a pc way of grouping them together???) are much more private and reserved when it comes to discussing themselves personally and developing friendships. However, with that being said, it's not at all the rule and in my experience, Swiss and Germans can really surprise you with their willingness to be open, inviting and friendly. Once you get beyond the 'formalities' stage of getting to know each other, people are people.

I don't know about that video, is she the author?

I read the book shortly after arriving here ten years ago. The basic concept is helpful in understanding how 'germanic' people (is that a pc way of grouping them together???) are much more private and reserved when it comes to discussing themselves personally and developing friendships. However, with that being said, it's not at all the rule and in my experience, Swiss and Germans can really surprise you with their willingness to be open, inviting and friendly. Once you get beyond the 'formalities' stage of getting to know each other, people are people.

bpmccartney, Mar 10, 2011 @ 22:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

I should add, that, as an American, I don't mind informal, superficial friendliness, however sometimes I think people are a bit over the top about it. I have always been more of the reserved type, at least for an Ami, so I quite appreciate the germanic way. Polite, friendly and casual conversation with a passing stranger is one thing, but I don't like total strangers treating me like they've known me for years when I only just met them. Of course, some people are annoying idiots and some are prudish ninnies who can't stay out of other people's business, so there are pluses, minuses and extremes on every end.

I should add, that, as an American, I don't mind informal, superficial friendliness, however sometimes I think people are a bit over the top about it. I have always been more of the reserved type, at least for an Ami, so I quite appreciate the germanic way. Polite, friendly and casual conversation with a passing stranger is one thing, but I don't like total strangers treating me like they've known me for years when I only just met them. Of course, some people are annoying idiots and some are prudish ninnies who can't stay out of other people's business, so there are pluses, minuses and extremes on every end.

bpmccartney, Mar 10, 2011 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

This apricot - coconut reminds me of endoskeleton and exoskeleton. Humans etc have soft stuff around a bony core, while insects have exoskeletons, that is soft stuff in a hard shell. 

This apricot - coconut reminds me of endoskeleton and exoskeleton. Humans etc have soft stuff around a bony core, while insects have exoskeletons, that is soft stuff in a hard shell. 

Emanuel Müller, Jun 18, 2011 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
25 Replies | 3550 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form