Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Carter beats the devil - Glen Davis Gold

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Carter beats the devil - Glen Davis Gold
The strange cover put me off for a long time but this is one of the funniest and at the same time quirkiest I've read in a while. The book recounts the life of Charles Carter - a magician in the 1920s. Very original and merits a place on a summer reading list.
The text you are quoting:
The strange cover put me off for a long time but this is one of the funniest and at the same time quirkiest I've read in a while. The book recounts the life of Charles Carter - a magician in the 1920s. Very original and merits a place on a summer reading list.
SingeanApr 18, 2006 @ 23:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1126 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Carter beats the devil - Glen Davis Gold
Post 1
I actually bought it because of its cover...(-:

I found the 1st half exactly as you said, and couldn't put it down. But at some point, around half time, I felt the book lost a bit of its sharpness and focus. I stopped it half way.

may give it a 2nd shot now, after your review.
I actually bought it because of its cover...(-:

I found the 1st half exactly as you said, and couldn't put it down. But at some point, around half time, I felt the book lost a bit of its sharpness and focus. I stopped it half way.

may give it a 2nd shot now, after your review.

Nir Ofek, Apr 19, 2006 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Carter beats the devil - Glen Davis Gold
Post 2
i avoided it for a while because of the cover :)

Its worth picking up again, its a long book which takes off like a rocket. I suppose you could accuse it of losing some pace in the middle but thats mainly because the author is trying to put all his (many) characters in place for the grand finale.

Definitely worth seeing it through or you'll miss out.
i avoided it for a while because of the cover :)

Its worth picking up again, its a long book which takes off like a rocket. I suppose you could accuse it of losing some pace in the middle but thats mainly because the author is trying to put all his (many) characters in place for the grand finale.

Definitely worth seeing it through or you'll miss out.
Singean, Apr 21, 2006 @ 01:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1126 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form