Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Cougar in the Cover book review

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cougar in the Cover book review

Just read a great short story called Cuppa prosím (the first from the ‘Cougar in the Cover’ series by Rich Von Throbber). Found it on Kindle and it stands up there with La Carré, Forsyth (Frederick not Bruce).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cougar-in-the-Cover-ebook/dp/B00F0RO21G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379267638&sr=8-1&keywords=cougar+in+the+cover

A gripping, fictional account of a British spy and one of his missions in the Czech Republic during the Cold War in the 1970s. Think Day of the Jackal meets Benny Hill. Contains Kafkaesque torture, sex, violence all for the bargain price of  £0.77 ($1.23)! Well worth a read!

The text you are quoting:

Just read a great short story called Cuppa prosím (the first from the ‘Cougar in the Cover’ series by Rich Von Throbber). Found it on Kindle and it stands up there with La Carré, Forsyth (Frederick not Bruce).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cougar-in-the-Cover-ebook/dp/B00F0RO21G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379267638&sr=8-1&keywords=cougar+in+the+cover

A gripping, fictional account of a British spy and one of his missions in the Czech Republic during the Cold War in the 1970s. Think Day of the Jackal meets Benny Hill. Contains Kafkaesque torture, sex, violence all for the bargain price of  £0.77 ($1.23)! Well worth a read!

RichSep 15, 2013 @ 19:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

26 Replies | 2258 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cougar in the Cover book review
Post 1

Tried to purchase this book but was unable to. Bittery disappointed.

Juliane S, Sep 15, 2013 @ 21:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Sep 15, 13 21:49

Try finding it on Amazon.com. Think it's well worth the effort of tracking it down! Laughing

Try finding it on Amazon.com. Think it's well worth the effort of tracking it down! Laughing

Rich, Sep 15, 2013 @ 21:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sep 15, 13 21:49

Disappointed is probably not the word! And I guess that applies to the other 93,741 people on Glocals who haven't managed to buy this heart-breakingly brilliant work of staggering genius yet!

Disappointed is probably not the word! And I guess that applies to the other 93,741 people on Glocals who haven't managed to buy this heart-breakingly brilliant work of staggering genius yet!

Rich, Sep 15, 2013 @ 22:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oh. My. God.

With nothing better to do on a cool Sunday night in Geneva due to a lack of glocals events, I decided to track down this highly acclaimed novel. On finally finding at Amazon.com (note, this is not available on Amazon.co.uk), I hesitated only slightly before shelling out the exorbitant amount of $1.00 and having the book fly through the air to my kindle app. The reason for my hesitation was my limited pocket money due to my current lack of employment. After all, $1.00 buys me a complete mouthful of coffee at Boreal, so this was a tough choice to have to make - the coffee or the book? Thankfully the book won, and I have just spent the most delightful 3 minutes reading the whole 12 pages, unable to put my iPad down or even glance away for a second. This is indeed as promised the most riveting, stimulating kindle book I have ever purchased (so far, it is the only kindle book I have ever purchased, but don't let that get in the way of a good review). I highly recommend this book for anyone who has ever wanted to carelessly throw away $1.00 and three minutes of their lives. I sat on the edge of my seat and turned fifty shades of pink (paralyzed by the amazingly good grammar and writing style), as I held my breath  from start to finish. My only disappointment was doing a glocals search when I had finished reading  for Alina90 and not finding her.  

Oh. My. God.

With nothing better to do on a cool Sunday night in Geneva due to a lack of glocals events, I decided to track down this highly acclaimed novel. On finally finding at Amazon.com (note, this is not available on Amazon.co.uk), I hesitated only slightly before shelling out the exorbitant amount of $1.00 and having the book fly through the air to my kindle app. The reason for my hesitation was my limited pocket money due to my current lack of employment. After all, $1.00 buys me a complete mouthful of coffee at Boreal, so this was a tough choice to have to make - the coffee or the book? Thankfully the book won, and I have just spent the most delightful 3 minutes reading the whole 12 pages, unable to put my iPad down or even glance away for a second. This is indeed as promised the most riveting, stimulating kindle book I have ever purchased (so far, it is the only kindle book I have ever purchased, but don't let that get in the way of a good review). I highly recommend this book for anyone who has ever wanted to carelessly throw away $1.00 and three minutes of their lives. I sat on the edge of my seat and turned fifty shades of pink (paralyzed by the amazingly good grammar and writing style), as I held my breath  from start to finish. My only disappointment was doing a glocals search when I had finished reading  for Alina90 and not finding her.  

Juliane S, Sep 15, 2013 @ 22:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Holy cocks! a very stimulating read indeed. 

Holy cocks! a very stimulating read indeed. 

Dhamari N, Sep 15, 2013 @ 23:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

if you like "In the Cover" books, there is "Valuta in the cover" on kindle (amazon.co.uk) or lulu.com

i wish it would have had the same success:-)

if you like "In the Cover" books, there is "Valuta in the cover" on kindle (amazon.co.uk) or lulu.com

i wish it would have had the same success:-)

epicure, Sep 16, 2013 @ 00:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Oh. My. God.

Sep 15, 13 22:19

I actually bought it from Amazon UK for 0.77p as downloaded to my Ipad. It makes for great reading on journeys like planes and trains or wherever you have 30 minutes to kill. It will definitely make your journey shorter and make you smile as well.

I actually bought it from Amazon UK for 0.77p as downloaded to my Ipad. It makes for great reading on journeys like planes and trains or wherever you have 30 minutes to kill. It will definitely make your journey shorter and make you smile as well.

Lucy W, Sep 16, 2013 @ 12:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Rich, what a great title, how did you think of that one ! what creativity! and the the cover layout and colour scheme and font. really nice indeed Tongue out

well done!

Rich, what a great title, how did you think of that one ! what creativity! and the the cover layout and colour scheme and font. really nice indeed Tongue out

well done!

epicure, Sep 16, 2013 @ 12:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks Roger. Although I think the main this is to make the story itself engaging and interesting for the reader rather than the cover (by the way, your name appears in black font).

This was a reworking of what would've happened if Jim Prideaux from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy hadn't have been shot and escaped. Other nods go to James Mitchell's Callan for his stoicism and ruthlessness and the name of the company he worked for was a tip of the cap towards James Bond's 'Universal Exports'.

The locations are from the months I spent in Znojmo and Moravské. And is of course a work of fiction, Von Throbber being a retired MI6 agent. 

The main thing is people enjoy reading it.

Thanks Roger. Although I think the main this is to make the story itself engaging and interesting for the reader rather than the cover (by the way, your name appears in black font).

This was a reworking of what would've happened if Jim Prideaux from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy hadn't have been shot and escaped. Other nods go to James Mitchell's Callan for his stoicism and ruthlessness and the name of the company he worked for was a tip of the cap towards James Bond's 'Universal Exports'.

The locations are from the months I spent in Znojmo and Moravské. And is of course a work of fiction, Von Throbber being a retired MI6 agent. 

The main thing is people enjoy reading it.

Rich, Sep 16, 2013 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Sep 16, 13 12:01

30 minutes? Either I am a speed reader, or you are a slow one ;-)

When I went to Amazon UK it said "pricing information not available" and there was no way to buy it. Not sure why, but anyway managed to find it on amazon.com.

Not sure what the exchange rate is, but sounds like you got a bargain Lucy. I thought $1.00 was pretty reasonable considering the excellent content.

30 minutes? Either I am a speed reader, or you are a slow one ;-)

When I went to Amazon UK it said "pricing information not available" and there was no way to buy it. Not sure why, but anyway managed to find it on amazon.com.

Not sure what the exchange rate is, but sounds like you got a bargain Lucy. I thought $1.00 was pretty reasonable considering the excellent content.

Juliane S, Sep 16, 2013 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I didn't actually say it took me 30 minutes. I was just giving a timescale that it was possible to read it in. However some people do read faster than others, so it may well take somene 30 minutes to read.

I agree 0.77p was a bargain I would have definitely paid at least £2 for it. It was well written and humourous and an excellent read. Ilook forward to reading the next book. Wink

I didn't actually say it took me 30 minutes. I was just giving a timescale that it was possible to read it in. However some people do read faster than others, so it may well take somene 30 minutes to read.

I agree 0.77p was a bargain I would have definitely paid at least £2 for it. It was well written and humourous and an excellent read. Ilook forward to reading the next book. Wink

Lucy W, Sep 16, 2013 @ 16:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

£2?! Wow, you must have liked it a lot - for me that would be two mouthfuls of coffee, I would really have hesitated with that price tag, but am sure eventually my sense of literary duty would have prevailed. It is always good to support struggling novice authors and I do hope that when I finish writing my book someone will do the same for me one day!

£2?! Wow, you must have liked it a lot - for me that would be two mouthfuls of coffee, I would really have hesitated with that price tag, but am sure eventually my sense of literary duty would have prevailed. It is always good to support struggling novice authors and I do hope that when I finish writing my book someone will do the same for me one day!

Juliane S, Sep 16, 2013 @ 16:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Sep 16, 13 16:29

I hope it's going to be called "26 years and counting". I would pay for a verbal account.

I hope it's going to be called "26 years and counting". I would pay for a verbal account.

catalin, Sep 16, 2013 @ 16:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I too was able to acquire this masterpiece for a mere 77p on amazon.co.uk and would happily have paid up to £1.27 for it.  And 30 minutes is a great amount of time to put by for it - just think how many times you could reread it then!

Rich von Throbber - surely the next Noble Laureate?

I too was able to acquire this masterpiece for a mere 77p on amazon.co.uk and would happily have paid up to £1.27 for it.  And 30 minutes is a great amount of time to put by for it - just think how many times you could reread it then!

emma w, Sep 16, 2013 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Sep 16, 13 20:55

Thanks Emma. Yeah, I guess you have to re-read it several times as it's layered that way to deal with various subtle subtexts you don't pick up on the first time. Laughing

Second installment in the trilogy is almost ready and I'm working on the third when they whole thing comes together and any unresolved questions are answered. Betcha can't wait!

Thanks Emma. Yeah, I guess you have to re-read it several times as it's layered that way to deal with various subtle subtexts you don't pick up on the first time. Laughing

Second installment in the trilogy is almost ready and I'm working on the third when they whole thing comes together and any unresolved questions are answered. Betcha can't wait!

Rich, Sep 16, 2013 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Sep 16, 13 21:09

Thanks? I don't understand.

Oh crickey, you're not.....you're.... really?  Wow! I never clicked.  I now feel truly humbled to know such a hero.

Thanks? I don't understand.

Oh crickey, you're not.....you're.... really?  Wow! I never clicked.  I now feel truly humbled to know such a hero.

emma w, Sep 16, 2013 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

So, three books in the pipeline...one that could potentially outsell EL James and the others entering into literary history....we need a book signing event! 

So, three books in the pipeline...one that could potentially outsell EL James and the others entering into literary history....we need a book signing event! 

Dhamari N, Sep 16, 2013 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Sep 16, 13 21:22

Here was the last book reading I did. Unfortunately as I only published it on Kindle that would mean I'd have to scratch my name inthe Kindle or iPad screens. Laughing 

Here was the last book reading I did. Unfortunately as I only published it on Kindle that would mean I'd have to scratch my name inthe Kindle or iPad screens. Laughing 

Rich, Sep 16, 2013 @ 21:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Sep 16, 13 21:09

Can you give me some idea about when installment 2 will be released for kindle? It's just that I will have to start ordering the petite coffee at Boreal instead of the moyenne fir  the next few weeks so I can save enough money to purchase it. You really have me hooked, and I am not usually a short story fan - I much prefer the long and slow approach to a climax.

Can you give me some idea about when installment 2 will be released for kindle? It's just that I will have to start ordering the petite coffee at Boreal instead of the moyenne fir  the next few weeks so I can save enough money to purchase it. You really have me hooked, and I am not usually a short story fan - I much prefer the long and slow approach to a climax.

Juliane S, Sep 16, 2013 @ 22:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Bought it, read it ... can't wait for the film 

Bought it, read it ... can't wait for the film 

Helen E, Sep 18, 2013 @ 21:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Ah the film, of course! And then there'll be the musical.  So much to look forward to.

Ah the film, of course! And then there'll be the musical.  So much to look forward to.

emma w, Sep 18, 2013 @ 22:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Sep 18, 13 22:47

Yep! In 3-D of course so as to lend a bit more weight to the 'Chateaubriand' scene! Laughing

Yep! In 3-D of course so as to lend a bit more weight to the 'Chateaubriand' scene! Laughing

Rich, Sep 18, 2013 @ 22:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

I have started saving so that I can afford to go and see the movie also. That will be a whole week's worth of coffee at Boreal I have to give up. Not sure how ai will cope, but I think it will be worth the sacrifice.

I have started saving so that I can afford to go and see the movie also. That will be a whole week's worth of coffee at Boreal I have to give up. Not sure how ai will cope, but I think it will be worth the sacrifice.

Juliane S, Sep 19, 2013 @ 00:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Sep 19, 13 00:23

Juliane, I think your next book should be entitled 'My Borealean love affair : the ultimate climax'

Wink

Juliane, I think your next book should be entitled 'My Borealean love affair : the ultimate climax'

Wink

Dhamari N, Sep 19, 2013 @ 09:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Wink

Sep 19, 13 09:18

I will accept that as a challenge.

I will accept that as a challenge.

Juliane S, Sep 19, 2013 @ 09:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Do we get free 3-D glasses if we buy the film? I will wait patiently as I can for the trilogy. Wink

Do we get free 3-D glasses if we buy the film? I will wait patiently as I can for the trilogy. Wink

Lucy W, Sep 19, 2013 @ 14:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
26 Replies | 2258 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form