Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
English book club
Hello there..

I am a new member to this forum and would be greatly interested if there are any English book clubs that I might join..

I read voraciously and would love to share the love of books and stories with others..

Someone.. help.. :)

EK 
The text you are quoting:
Hello there..

I am a new member to this forum and would be greatly interested if there are any English book clubs that I might join..

I read voraciously and would love to share the love of books and stories with others..

Someone.. help.. :)

EK 
EK MOct 9, 2009 @ 20:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

45 Replies | 7024 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: English book club
Post 1
Hi guys,

I would actually love to join a book club as well. If there isn't one currently (which i doubt), we can always start our own :) What type of literature do you enjoy?

Marina
Hi guys,

I would actually love to join a book club as well. If there isn't one currently (which i doubt), we can always start our own :) What type of literature do you enjoy?

Marina

Marina N, Oct 24, 2009 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I am so IN!!
+1 for the 'voracious reader' bit.
I am so IN!!

neptune000, Oct 24, 2009 @ 10:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I personally love non fiction. The last book that i read was Peter the Great (His Life and World), by Robert Massie.
In the past i found it hard to find people that would share my
interests. I would love to start a history non fiction club, but i
suspect that i wont have too many members, so i would open to other
genres as well :)
I personally love non fiction. The last book that i read was Peter the Great (His Life and World), by Robert Massie.
In the past i found it hard to find people that would share my
interests. I would love to start a history non fiction club, but i
suspect that i wont have too many members, so i would open to other
genres as well :)
Marina N, Oct 24, 2009 @ 10:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
CERN has a pretty good English book club, but it's only open for people working there
:-(
Of course there's the bookstore ( target="_blank" href="http://www.offtheshelf.ch/en/home/index.shtml"> color="#000000">Off The Shelf) but it gets a bit expensive, plus you don't
necessarily want to own every book you might want to
read.
Hmmmm..... maybe a book swap would be called for.
Sounds like we need to meet for a coffee-fuelled brainstorming session sometime.
Anyone?
Recent reads?
I just
returned from Canada, where I raided my favourite library and got a half dozen interesting
new titles that I want to read. Karen Armstrong's  target="_blank" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Armstrong">The Spiral Staircase was
fascinating, I managed to find a copy in a used-book store and read it on the plane coming
back. A very sincere, personal account of her experiences and thoughts about religion. (She
became a noon at 17, left the order at 25, studied literature at Oxford, had a stint as an angry
agnostic, and then switched 'sides' yet again to write about people's need to find religious
meaning. 
A book called " target="_blank" href="http://openlibrary.org/b/OL3585921M/There_are_two_errors_in_the_title_of_this_boo
k">There are Two Errors in the Title of this Book
" looks intriguing -- if anyone has it in
their personal library, wanna lend it to me? 
CERN has a pretty good English book club, but it's only open for people working there
:-(
Of course there's the bookstore ( target="_blank" href="http://www.offtheshelf.ch/en/home/index.shtml"> color="#000000">Off The Shelf) but it gets a bit expensive, plus you don't
necessarily want to own every book you might want to
read.
Hmmmm..... maybe a book swap would be called for.
Sounds like we need to meet for a coffee-fuelled brainstorming session sometime.
Anyone?
Recent reads?
I just
returned from Canada, where I raided my favourite library and got a half dozen interesting
new titles that I want to read. Karen Armstrong's  target="_blank" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Armstrong">The Spiral Staircase was
fascinating, I managed to find a copy in a used-book store and read it on the plane coming
back. A very sincere, personal account of her experiences and thoughts about religion. (She
became a noon at 17, left the order at 25, studied literature at Oxford, had a stint as an angry
agnostic, and then switched 'sides' yet again to write about people's need to find religious
meaning. 
A book called " target="_blank" href="http://openlibrary.org/b/OL3585921M/There_are_two_errors_in_the_title_of_this_boo
k">There are Two Errors in the Title of this Book
" looks intriguing -- if anyone has it in
their personal library, wanna lend it to me? 

pyrozhuk, Oct 24, 2009 @ 11:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I am organizing a book club in Ferney-Voltaire s that's a bit far off. There is at least one in Geneva if you look in the events page.
If you are interested in the one in Ferney you can contact me!
Cheers,
C.
I am organizing a book club in Ferney-Voltaire s that's a bit far off. There is at least one in Geneva if you look in the events page.
If you are interested in the one in Ferney you can contact me!
Cheers,
C.

claireGF, Oct 24, 2009 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Did I write about Karen Armstrong that "she became a noon"?? Apparently I did.

Should be "nun" of course... I hope someone got a chuckle out of that!
Did I write about Karen Armstrong that "she became a noon"?? Apparently I did.

Should be "nun" of course... I hope someone got a chuckle out of that!

pyrozhuk, Oct 25, 2009 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
A very good tip (for those in Geneva, again - sorry, Pingo!) is the Red Cross library in 50, rue de Carouge. The library is small, but it covers a HUGE variety of languages. So if you want to read Tagalog, or Tajik, or Turkish, you may find a half-dozen or a score of books that you can borrow. Annual membership fee is 10 francs or so, if I'm not mistaken.

They also sell books cheaply, most days you'll find crates of books on the sidewalk outside the library, usually with a few English novels in them.

Their opening hours are fairly limited, if they haven't changed then it's:

Monday to Friday, 13:00-18:00
Saturdays 09:00-12:00

A very good tip (for those in Geneva, again - sorry, Pingo!) is the Red Cross library in 50, rue de Carouge. The library is small, but it covers a HUGE variety of languages. So if you want to read Tagalog, or Tajik, or Turkish, you may find a half-dozen or a score of books that you can borrow. Annual membership fee is 10 francs or so, if I'm not mistaken.

They also sell books cheaply, most days you'll find crates of books on the sidewalk outside the library, usually with a few English novels in them.

Their opening hours are fairly limited, if they haven't changed then it's:

Monday to Friday, 13:00-18:00
Saturdays 09:00-12:00

pyrozhuk, Oct 25, 2009 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Just for those in the Zurich area, I thought I mention the "Nimm und Bring
Bibliothek"which I am told has a fair English selection..Take your finished
books along and chose some to take home.. free of charge.Opening hours are
the same as the "Helferei" itself.
Its right behind the
Grossmünster (the church with the two
towers).
http://www.kulturhaus-helferei.ch/kulturhaus.php?
t=Die+Nimm-und-Bring-
Bibliothek+des+Kulturhauses+Helferei&read_group=25
Al
so, do you know of this excellent little English book store?
http://pileofbooks.ch/en/home/
they have sourced
some rare books for me in the past..
And for the more
adventurous among you there is always book-
crossing:http://www.bookcrossing.com/hunt/12/1282/34772/travel_-Switzerland-
-Zürich--Zürich
(this is also a valid link for the geneva
area..)
Enjoy!

Just for those in the Zurich area, I thought I mention the "Nimm und Bring
Bibliothek"which I am told has a fair English selection..Take your finished
books along and chose some to take home.. free of charge.Opening hours are
the same as the "Helferei" itself.
Its right behind the
Grossmünster (the church with the two
towers).
http://www.kulturhaus-helferei.ch/kulturhaus.php?
t=Die+Nimm-und-Bring-
Bibliothek+des+Kulturhauses+Helferei&read_group=25
Al
so, do you know of this excellent little English book store?
http://pileofbooks.ch/en/home/
they have sourced
some rare books for me in the past..
And for the more
adventurous among you there is always book-
crossing:http://www.bookcrossing.com/hunt/12/1282/34772/travel_-Switzerland-
-Zürich--Zürich
(this is also a valid link for the geneva
area..)
Enjoy!

Jana Cyberia, Oct 25, 2009 @ 15:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
I am interested in a book club as well.  I alternate between non-fiction and fiction and would like to find a group in Geneva to join up with.  My reading interests are fairly eclectic so I am open to most genres.

I have seen one pop up every once and a while in Geneva, but I travel a bit so I have not been able to make the sessions.

Dan
I am interested in a book club as well.  I alternate between non-fiction and fiction and would like to find a group in Geneva to join up with.  My reading interests are fairly eclectic so I am open to most genres.

I have seen one pop up every once and a while in Geneva, but I travel a bit so I have not been able to make the sessions.

Dan

drleblanc, Oct 27, 2009 @ 16:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Hia,

I would be up for a book club in Zurich if enough people fancy setting one up...$

Glash
Hia,

I would be up for a book club in Zurich if enough people fancy setting one up...$

Glash

Aglaya S, Oct 27, 2009 @ 17:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
 I'd love to meet up for a book club too! Will anyone decide to organize something? I rotate non-fiction, historical fiction and oddball stuff, so I'm up for anything as long as there's a cozy setting and maybe a little wine...
 I'd love to meet up for a book club too! Will anyone decide to organize something? I rotate non-fiction, historical fiction and oddball stuff, so I'm up for anything as long as there's a cozy setting and maybe a little wine...
Matt Williams, Oct 27, 2009 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Well...I've never been part of a book club, but i've always loved the idea of it. I keep telling myself that one of these days when i have more free time i will join one. However, that time may not come in foreseeable future, so i may as well join/organize one now.

Maybe a few of us can get together to discuss the logistics of how one would work? I'm in Vevey, so i would prefer to meet in Lausanne, although would be open to Geneva as well.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
Well...I've never been part of a book club, but i've always loved the idea of it. I keep telling myself that one of these days when i have more free time i will join one. However, that time may not come in foreseeable future, so i may as well join/organize one now.

Maybe a few of us can get together to discuss the logistics of how one would work? I'm in Vevey, so i would prefer to meet in Lausanne, although would be open to Geneva as well.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Marina N, Oct 27, 2009 @ 22:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I'm in for a Geneva book club as well! I'm flexible regarding genres, I prefer fiction but nonfiction is good as well.

I'm in for a Geneva book club as well! I'm flexible regarding genres, I prefer fiction but nonfiction is good as well.

Tuuli L, Oct 28, 2009 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
For your info, there's a "Library in English" located in downtown Geneva, see their site <http://www.thelibrary.ch/>. They've got their annual booksale this weekend, details at the site.

Also, I've talked to the people who run the CERN English Book Club, and they are indeed open to people who want to join. They've got several thousand titles of popular fiction. If you want to join, write to [email protected]. Here is the info I got:

At the moment outside persons are
asked to pay CHF30 + 25 for the key. We do have a few from other international
organisations, outside access is possible without entering CERN,  in spite of the heavy roadworks. If they pay
now it will be valid for 2010.

They should forward to me their
name, address (office or private), email address and a phone number (office or
private) and I shall send them a post office payment slip and then we can see
about getting the key to them once I get notice from PO that they have paid.

For your info, there's a "Library in English" located in downtown Geneva, see their site <http://www.thelibrary.ch/>. They've got their annual booksale this weekend, details at the site.

Also, I've talked to the people who run the CERN English Book Club, and they are indeed open to people who want to join. They've got several thousand titles of popular fiction. If you want to join, write to [email protected]. Here is the info I got:

At the moment outside persons are
asked to pay CHF30 + 25 for the key. We do have a few from other international
organisations, outside access is possible without entering CERN,  in spite of the heavy roadworks. If they pay
now it will be valid for 2010.

They should forward to me their
name, address (office or private), email address and a phone number (office or
private) and I shall send them a post office payment slip and then we can see
about getting the key to them once I get notice from PO that they have paid.

pyrozhuk, Nov 5, 2009 @ 10:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
There's nothing to set up! Just write to [email protected] (she is the "me'"  in the information that I pasted into my post), say you want to join the CERN Book Club and give her the info she needs.
There's nothing to set up! Just write to [email protected] (she is the "me'"  in the information that I pasted into my post), say you want to join the CERN Book Club and give her the info she needs.

pyrozhuk, Nov 5, 2009 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Is everyone just joining the Cern bookclub, or is someone starting up a bookclub? I'm game for a bookclub. =)

Is everyone just joining the Cern bookclub, or is someone starting up a bookclub? I'm game for a bookclub. =)

Sarah F, Nov 24, 2009 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

I would be happy to see a book club open for people of all literary tastes. If it were to focus on just the deeper side of life then no. A good mix of topics, styles and even translated books (into English) would be ideal.

I would be happy to see a book club open for people of all literary tastes. If it were to focus on just the deeper side of life then no. A good mix of topics, styles and even translated books (into English) would be ideal.

Neil M, Nov 25, 2009 @ 19:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
I am so IN!!

Oct 24, 09 10:06

I am also so IN.

I am also so IN.

taivanova30, Nov 25, 2009 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hey,

If you need a place to meet then many book clubs already meet at my bookshop - Books Books Books in Lausanne.

We currently have 4-5 clubs using the shop for this. We can also order the books for you at a discount.

Email me if you're interested.

Hey,

If you need a place to meet then many book clubs already meet at my bookshop - Books Books Books in Lausanne.

We currently have 4-5 clubs using the shop for this. We can also order the books for you at a discount.

Email me if you're interested.

Lucien, Jan 14, 2010 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Hi Everyone

Count me in as well; I guess its pretty difficult to find decent English books around. Like many others genre is not a limitation (though i dont usually read romantic books).

I am currently finishing a book called Fooled by randomness - pretty heavy, but an interesting book which challenges many ingrained thoughts / patterns in everyone's minds!

Let make this happen!

Cheers

vasanth

Hi Everyone

Count me in as well; I guess its pretty difficult to find decent English books around. Like many others genre is not a limitation (though i dont usually read romantic books).

I am currently finishing a book called Fooled by randomness - pretty heavy, but an interesting book which challenges many ingrained thoughts / patterns in everyone's minds!

Let make this happen!

Cheers

vasanth

Vasanth M, Jan 16, 2010 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Over at the englishforum, we also do a monthly book club meeting in Morges, as well a monthly poetry meeting. Feel free to join!

Over at the englishforum, we also do a monthly book club meeting in Morges, as well a monthly poetry meeting. Feel free to join!

Heikki L, Jan 16, 2010 @ 18:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

In terms of buying English books, here are the two websites that I use (from the UK so everything in English) and who offer FREE shipping to CH. Did I mention FREE shipping. Wink

www.bookdepository.co.uk (great selection of books)

www.play.com (less selection of books but lots of DVDs and other good stuff)

In terms of buying English books, here are the two websites that I use (from the UK so everything in English) and who offer FREE shipping to CH. Did I mention FREE shipping. Wink

www.bookdepository.co.uk (great selection of books)

www.play.com (less selection of books but lots of DVDs and other good stuff)

Verbier, Jan 16, 2010 @ 18:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Verbier, thanks a lot for the links which are really helpful. I have been buying books from amazon.co.uk. Will definitely try this free shipping one next time - sounds great.

I was with an English book club before moving to Geneva last year and would love to join one in Geneva. Have we got one up already? If not, we will set one up now. If anyone is interested in joining it, please send me a message. We could get together and discuss the details. We used to host the meetings in turns among the members. Guess we could do the same here. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Verbier, thanks a lot for the links which are really helpful. I have been buying books from amazon.co.uk. Will definitely try this free shipping one next time - sounds great.

I was with an English book club before moving to Geneva last year and would love to join one in Geneva. Have we got one up already? If not, we will set one up now. If anyone is interested in joining it, please send me a message. We could get together and discuss the details. We used to host the meetings in turns among the members. Guess we could do the same here. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

wonder, Jan 16, 2010 @ 21:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Hi!  I would definitely be interested in joining a book club in Geneva.  I'll read pretty much anything.

Hi!  I would definitely be interested in joining a book club in Geneva.  I'll read pretty much anything.

Laura H, Jan 17, 2010 @ 10:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hi,

I would love to join too and read pretty much anything.

Hi,

I would love to join too and read pretty much anything.

PatriciaJ, Jan 17, 2010 @ 13:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

I'm in as well. Once there was one in Geneva... but I don't know of any now. Pity :-(  !!

I'm in as well. Once there was one in Geneva... but I don't know of any now. Pity :-(  !!

nicoj, Jan 17, 2010 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

I'm in. Used to run a discussion group on Radical Leftist Thought. Might try to re-jig that if there is interest.

I'm in. Used to run a discussion group on Radical Leftist Thought. Might try to re-jig that if there is interest.

ammad, Jan 17, 2010 @ 15:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Ok, so now, we just need to get one going.  I am quite happy to have the meeting at my place, only problem is, I live in Gland.  If anyone is willing to come to Gland, then I can have a meeting twice a month at my home. 

Or, we could just pick a place in GE like Central Perk Cafe, or the Demi Lune and have our first meeting where we would choose the book to read and get this rolling.

Any other suggestions, I'll be glad to make the posting and get the book club started as I am longing for one!

Ok, so now, we just need to get one going.  I am quite happy to have the meeting at my place, only problem is, I live in Gland.  If anyone is willing to come to Gland, then I can have a meeting twice a month at my home. 

Or, we could just pick a place in GE like Central Perk Cafe, or the Demi Lune and have our first meeting where we would choose the book to read and get this rolling.

Any other suggestions, I'll be glad to make the posting and get the book club started as I am longing for one!

Elizabeth3, Jan 17, 2010 @ 18:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Hi Claire,

I think I missed your post earlier. I live in Chambesy, very close to Ferney-Voltaire. Can you please send me some info regarding the book club? If times suits me, I would love to join you. 

Thanks.

Coral

Hi Claire,

I think I missed your post earlier. I live in Chambesy, very close to Ferney-Voltaire. Can you please send me some info regarding the book club? If times suits me, I would love to join you. 

Thanks.

Coral

wonder, Jan 17, 2010 @ 20:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Hiya. Would love to join a book club too. Is it still happening? Is it in Geneva? and most importantly, can I join?

Sarah

Hiya. Would love to join a book club too. Is it still happening? Is it in Geneva? and most importantly, can I join?

Sarah

Sarah F, Feb 5, 2010 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Hi Guys, would love to join. Never been able to actually join a book club but love reading and miss the opportunity to share the passion.

Please let me know what you are up to.

Many thanks,

Magda

Hi Guys, would love to join. Never been able to actually join a book club but love reading and miss the opportunity to share the passion.

Please let me know what you are up to.

Many thanks,

Magda

Magdalena DACCORD, Feb 5, 2010 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Hi there,

interested in what kind of books you have in mind.....

hope it works out...just read "catcher in the Rye".....

Hi there,

interested in what kind of books you have in mind.....

hope it works out...just read "catcher in the Rye".....

bookworm, Feb 5, 2010 @ 16:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

hello!

I am also longing to join a book club. I like reading fiction novels and biographies as well. I also like the idea of a book club because you end up reading authors you normally wouldn't.

if you send me your emails, i can organize a discussion online so we decide what to read. On the venue, I can also offer my place, in Chambesy.

Bon weekend a tous,

Grace

hello!

I am also longing to join a book club. I like reading fiction novels and biographies as well. I also like the idea of a book club because you end up reading authors you normally wouldn't.

if you send me your emails, i can organize a discussion online so we decide what to read. On the venue, I can also offer my place, in Chambesy.

Bon weekend a tous,

Grace

Gracie, Feb 5, 2010 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

For anyone in Zug, the Brocki in Zug always has a reasonable collection of used English books, usually Fr2-3.- each. Recycling is the name of the game, and the profits are used by the Frauenzentrale of Zug. There are always lots of other interesting things to see there, and it is the most popular place in Zug on a Saturday morning.

So not strictly speaking about an English book club, but it is where I get a heap of my books for plane reading etc.

regards

Martin

http://www.brockizug.ch/kontakt-und-situationsplan/

For anyone in Zug, the Brocki in Zug always has a reasonable collection of used English books, usually Fr2-3.- each. Recycling is the name of the game, and the profits are used by the Frauenzentrale of Zug. There are always lots of other interesting things to see there, and it is the most popular place in Zug on a Saturday morning.

So not strictly speaking about an English book club, but it is where I get a heap of my books for plane reading etc.

regards

Martin

http://www.brockizug.ch/kontakt-und-situationsplan/

Martin F, Apr 13, 2010 @ 19:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

Hi,

My friend, Tania and I would love to join a book club in Geneva too? Has there been any progress, can we already start something with the people communicating here?

I have also recently published a novel entitled "The Flower of Jonglei" based in South Sudan, so if you ever pass the Offtheshellf or Payot in Chantepoulet do pick it up and let me know what you think? It would be great to get some reviews.

However, I am interested in a book or even movie club as I love reading and watching movies.

Cheers,

Mal

Hi,

My friend, Tania and I would love to join a book club in Geneva too? Has there been any progress, can we already start something with the people communicating here?

I have also recently published a novel entitled "The Flower of Jonglei" based in South Sudan, so if you ever pass the Offtheshellf or Payot in Chantepoulet do pick it up and let me know what you think? It would be great to get some reviews.

However, I am interested in a book or even movie club as I love reading and watching movies.

Cheers,

Mal

Malar S, Apr 17, 2010 @ 09:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

I posted information about joining the CERN English Book Club some months ago. Has anyone joined it? 

Cheerio

Ed

I posted information about joining the CERN English Book Club some months ago. Has anyone joined it? 

Cheerio

Ed

pyrozhuk, Apr 17, 2010 @ 11:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Just joined a book club in Geneva, not sure if anyone on this list would benefit from this club (it's on glocals)

http://www.glocals.com/#/groups/geneva/geneva-book-club.htm

Just joined a book club in Geneva, not sure if anyone on this list would benefit from this club (it's on glocals)

http://www.glocals.com/#/groups/geneva/geneva-book-club.htm

jeremy b, Dec 9, 2010 @ 11:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Hello!

Would someone be interested in forming a book club in Lausanne?

Cheers

Izzie

Hello!

Would someone be interested in forming a book club in Lausanne?

Cheers

Izzie

Izzie, Dec 9, 2010 @ 13:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

There is a group on glocals called "Geneva Books and Booze Group", which sounds like my kind of book club!!Tongue out

There is a group on glocals called "Geneva Books and Booze Group", which sounds like my kind of book club!!Tongue out

David Lloyd, Dec 9, 2010 @ 15:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Dec 9, 10 15:13

LOLLaughing

LOLLaughing

Izzie, Dec 9, 2010 @ 15:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

This sounds interesting, if a bit ambitious (the most influential books in history?!). Did anyone go? How was it?

This sounds interesting, if a bit ambitious (the most influential books in history?!). Did anyone go? How was it?

pyrozhuk, Dec 10, 2010 @ 13:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

As I understand it, someone (whose pre-eminence and/or claim to literary scholarship was not explained) left Geneva leaving a list of 50 of the most influential books in the anglosaxon (Waspish) world. Of these, 10 were chosen for 2010, read and debated. I only went to the wrap up (since I have only been in Geneva a week). I can attest to the repartee and convivial sparring that took place as we discussed (briefly) each of 10  books (about half of which I had already read). I can recommend the group as good fun, although the first book for 2011 is Kafka and I will not read Kafka (see "K is for Kafka"). But if you come along you will enjoy yourself. And bring any friends you may have from Greenland. 

As I understand it, someone (whose pre-eminence and/or claim to literary scholarship was not explained) left Geneva leaving a list of 50 of the most influential books in the anglosaxon (Waspish) world. Of these, 10 were chosen for 2010, read and debated. I only went to the wrap up (since I have only been in Geneva a week). I can attest to the repartee and convivial sparring that took place as we discussed (briefly) each of 10  books (about half of which I had already read). I can recommend the group as good fun, although the first book for 2011 is Kafka and I will not read Kafka (see "K is for Kafka"). But if you come along you will enjoy yourself. And bring any friends you may have from Greenland. 

jeremy b, Dec 10, 2010 @ 13:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

Dec 10, 10 13:31

Greenland? Is this a comment on the effectiveness of the "Les Recyclables" heating?

Greenland? Is this a comment on the effectiveness of the "Les Recyclables" heating?

pyrozhuk, Dec 10, 2010 @ 14:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Greenland because we have members from many countries in the world, but not inter alia Greenland.

Greenland because we have members from many countries in the world, but not inter alia Greenland.

jeremy b, Dec 10, 2010 @ 15:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

Hey guys,

I did not read through all of the posts, but there are two book clubs on Glocals.  The first is the International Book Club and the second are Booze and Books.  Jump in!

Todd

Hey guys,

I did not read through all of the posts, but there are two book clubs on Glocals.  The first is the International Book Club and the second are Booze and Books.  Jump in!

Todd

Todd H, Jan 2, 2011 @ 09:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
45 Replies | 7024 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form